AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Another (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   Another - Live Action Movie discussion thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=110726)

sa547 2012-03-02 07:22

Another - Live Action Movie discussion thread

Oh, the site for the live-action film adaptation is now up with a teaser:
http://www.another-movie.com/
http://blog.livedoor.jp/seiyufan/archives/5260866.html

Kanon 2012-03-02 08:48

3D Misaki doesn't look very moe. Is it just me or do all the students in that class look like yakuzas? The faces they make are hilarious (especially that girl on the far right). And in the middle of them is one kid grinning like an idiot... :heh: (Kouichi, I assume).

AC-Phoenix 2012-03-02 09:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 4035042)
3D Misaki doesn't look very moe. Is it just me or do all the students in that class look like yakuzas? The faces they make are hilarious (especially that girl on the far right). And in the middle of them is one kid grinning like an idiot... :heh: (Kouichi, I assume).

I think you got that impression from nearly everyone wearing a suit combined with a tie

sa547 2012-03-02 09:24

Quote:

I'm okay with the looks of the LA characters, considering that I've seen (and read) Battle Royale several times in the past.

But I agree that this Misaki looks a bit older than her age (yep, Dawson Casting as usual).

----
Personally, apart from the author's immediate interest in making a spinoff book, and the announcement of an OVA, I'm quite surprised by the speed at which the novel is being adapted to other media, especially a live-action adaptation like this.

Guardian Enzo 2012-03-02 13:03

LOL, another Japanese live-action with 30 year-olds playing middle-schoolers...

haguruma 2012-03-02 13:35

I think the movie looks alright so far. It won't need a hell of a lot of obvious special effects, grand set-pieces or anything like that...so it won't look as awkward as some adaptations in the past (I'm looking at you Higurashi no naku koro ni).
The actors look okay. At least they at least look a little like Japanese middle-schoolers and I hope it won't feature the typical "I'm a member of boy-/girl-band XYZ but I fit right in with my perfect features and oh-no-never corrected, pearly-white teeth, don't I?!". I think this is actually more of a "the author wants to do this" thing.

And I'm really looking forward to hearing who's gonna perform the theme-song (that is so obviously going to be there). I was quite suprised to learn that it was actually Ayatsuji's wish for Ali Project to perform the OP of the anime because he's apparently good friends with them. He even was a special guest at their last concert. :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa547 (Post 4035091)
Personally, apart from the author's immediate interest in making a spinoff book, and the announcement of an OVA, I'm quite surprised by the speed at which the novel is being adapted to other media, especially a live-action adaptation like this.

Well the OVA announcement has been around a while - even before the anime started - and Ayatsuji Yukito has a tendency to write spin-offs and follow-ups to his novels. The Yakata-series has 9 entries, Sasayaki has 3, Satsujinhouteishiki has 2, Satsujinki has 2, Midorooka has 2 and that basically only leaves 5 novels outside of a continuity now that Another is getting a new entry.

And I wouldn't call it exactly quick at being adapted. Another was released in October '09 and it did very well on the book market. But apart from that Ayatsuji is a very famous mystery author. He has worked on a TV mini-series with 6 entries each having 2 episodes, he's worked on some videogames in the 90's, he was chosen to write an episode for the PSP game TrickXLogic...so he's not really a stranger to other media.

Apparently (according to some books on him) he has been approached for adaptations of his more famous novels, like the Yakata-series, but many people and he himself regard it as very much impossible to visualize. Not because of his settings or any risque topics, more because his most often used trick is the description-trick.
A description trick is using the advantages of the medium at hand and misleading the audience. In his case there are often two characters being actually one, a character impersonating another in selective scenes, characters being of different gender or body-type than you would first assume or scenes being altogether part of a characters imagination. While this works well on paper even when giving ample clues for the reader to work with it can become almost impossible to put on screen.

konart 2012-03-02 13:37

Students look ugly as hell. That's a good thing though - I already want them dead.

Hakuromatsu 2012-03-02 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo (Post 4035380)

There are exceptions, like Battle Royale (for the most part).

Endless Soul 2012-03-02 17:17

Wow, a lot of angry looks in the classroom. Most of the others that don't look angry do look like they excel in moppishness.

I also saw the class picture, although out of uniform. There was also a long haired girl dressed in white standing in front of a leafless tree.

Endless "Live action" Soul

Leo_Otaku 2012-03-02 21:15

I think this would work VERY well for live action. I can not wait :)

inisipis 2012-03-03 14:32

The problem with Japanese live action horror movies is the they can go be amazingly unique and frightening (e.q. The Grunge and The Ring) or something to laughably hockey and uninspired, with nothing in between. The latter is more often the case.

The Another, has a unique feel and relies heavily on good character performance, on whom it draws its eerie and haunting qualities with sense of verisimilitude. Quite a tough aspect to do right in film.

I'd like to know how this film will turn out.

Hakuromatsu 2012-03-03 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by inisipis (Post 4036913)
The Grunge

I remember that film, the one where Kurt Cobain is killed by the ghost of a murdered housewife. :p

inisipis 2012-03-03 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hakuromatsu (Post 4036937)
I remember that film, the one where Kurt Cobain is killed by the ghost of a murdered housewife. :p

Yes, It still bring me nightmares. Seattle can never be so spooky.:heh:

Anyway, I meant the original The GruDge movie or Ju-on, as to differentiate it from the lame American version with the same title (to you other posters. I decided it not to edit my mistake, so as to make sense of these post):D

syke123 2012-03-03 16:18

After watching half of my first live action Japanese trailer with actual Japanese faces......I

Spoiler for I advise you not to, for the anime industry's sake.:

Leo_Otaku 2012-03-05 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by inisipis (Post 4037003)
Yes, It still bring me nightmares. Seattle can never be so spooky.:heh:

Anyway, I meant the original The GruDge movie or Ju-on, as to differentiate it from the lame American version with the same title (to you other posters. I decided it not to edit my mistake, so as to make sense of these post):D

That is very true XD That happened with Uzumaki. They had a B budget and it was very funny. If good actors and budget it can be like Battle Royale.

Utsuro no Hako 2012-03-06 01:58

Quote:

Mochizuki? That's his seat in the anime, though the students around him don't match up to the seating chart.

ranran 2012-03-08 13:13

Well from the looks of the actors it doesn't look promising...Misaki look too old...

But then again, that's just the teaser. Let's just hope this won't turn out to be like Jigoku Shoujo Live Action; HORROR FAILS :uhoh:

Forsaken_Infinity 2012-03-09 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo (Post 4035380)

Sums it up. Are the Japanese middle schoolers unable of acting or what?

Also, yuck. Can't unsee 3DPD Misaki.

AC-Phoenix 2012-03-09 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity (Post 4044813)
Sums it up. Are the Japanese middle schoolers unable of acting or what?

Also, yuck. Can't unsee 3DPD Misaki.

Japanese probably have a problem with minors being actors in movies which are clearly not made for them.
Especially since they would want to watch it if they were in.
Also note that there are some scenes which might require stuntman. So you either see the difference between those or let other children do the stunts.
especially the latter is out of question.

Also note that the students are dying in there(notably on screen), which is another reason you can't use children as easily.

kuiik 2012-03-09 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix (Post 4044822)
Japanese probably have a problem with minors being actors in movies which are clearly not made for them.
Especially since they would want to watch it if they were in.
Also note that there are some scenes which might require stuntman. So you either see the difference between those or let other children do the stunts.
especially the latter is out of question.

Also note that the students are dying in there(notably on screen), which is another reason you can't use children as easily.

What about Confessions (2010)? It says this on its wikipedia page: "Although people under the age of 15 cannot view the film in Japan, the cast is almost full of students of around 13."

So I think they can get minors, but they just decided they won't.