AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anime in 3D? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=118801)

0 kelvin 2013-04-09 08:05

deleted

Ichihara Asako 2013-04-09 08:24

No. Not in either form of 3D (though all anime the past decade has been CGI, some of which has used 3D animation, to various levels of effect, generally not well) but if you're talking about stereoscopic 3D, no. Absolutely not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BugtEW7ME90

SeijiSensei 2013-04-09 08:28

Anime studios can barely afford to produce the shows they release today. 3D would break the bank. Some series already incorporate occasional 3D models like Satelight's Noein and AKB0048. Most of the time I find it jarring. Plus I enjoy 2D animation for the art form that it is. Background artwork is often one of the most appealing features of anime. I suspect that 3D would shift the emphasis even further to character models and downplay the other visual elements.

I presume you are talking about 3D in the Pixar sense. If you mean 3DTV, I think that's generally a pretty dumb idea. I don't need to see athletes standing on my living room rug. 3D works better in theatres where the surroundings do not distract from the immersion effect.

NoemiChan 2013-04-09 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0 kelvin (Post 4628135)
Would it be cool to have anime in 3D, celshaded?

Never!!! Never ever!!! Anime is anime because its 2D.

totoum 2013-04-09 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0 kelvin (Post 4628135)
Would it be cool to have anime in 3D, celshaded?

These might interest you:

Re:Cyborg 009

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)
Black Rock Shooter's TV anime used CGI for its action sequences as well as the OP

The afterschool midnighters movie was pretty much like dreamworks on crack

And we've got captain harlock coming out soon

Oh and both jojo Oenings were quite cool:

Kanon 2013-04-09 10:08

You should watch Freedom (OVA series) if you haven't. Characters and vehicles were animated entirely in 3D.

Master Assassin 2013-04-09 11:02

Another example to observe.

scineram 2013-04-09 12:11

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Princess

Triple_R 2013-04-09 12:18

I generally prefer the 2D look myself. That being said, the celshaded 3D approach is nice every now and then, particularly for specific purposes. Yes, it worked very well in the Jojo's Openings, imo.

DXMichael 2013-04-09 13:53

Kingdom was an ok anime that had 3D aspects. At the start the 3D wasn't that great, but later into the anime it really improved to the point that you didn't even notice it anymore.

Hiroi Sekai 2013-04-09 14:41

The whole 3D panning movements I've seen thus far (such as in BRS TV and Love Live) feel very awkward to me. It often transitions between that and traditional 2D as well, so it's even more jarring.

What I call 2D/3D (panning around a 2D shot, eg: camera rotation around Chitanda Eru in Hyouka EP1) is splendid when done right. I feel like that's the perfect medium, at least at the moment.

Vexx 2013-04-09 18:52

Some of the appeal to anime for me is the 2D art itself, whether it be simulating detailed movement in some series, the use of light to create the illusion of depth, or even the wild ass avant garde cut'n'paste of some of Shinbo's stuff. 2d 360 pans can be spectacular.

I'm still not convinced 3d is "here to stay", but for something like Appleseed it makes a lot of sense.

NoemiChan 2013-04-09 18:55

3d was made in attempt to merge 2d with realism..... but that won't exactly fit anime... anime ain't reality in the first place but can be achieve anytime with a skilled artist and budget...

Marly 2013-04-09 19:10

I honestly don't see what 3D animation accomplishes that 2D animation doesn't.

Vexx 2013-04-09 19:45

The main advantage I can think of with 3d animation is that the tools can be layered on top of each other to the point where, in the near future, one might be able to design characters like in an RPG, and give natural language direction and dialog scripts to create your own episodes.

I would love to have something like that to animate my fiction writing into video.

Marly 2013-04-09 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 4628926)
The main advantage I can think of with 3d animation is that the tools can be layered on top of each other to the point where, in the near future, one might be able to design characters like in an RPG, and give natural language direction and dialog scripts to create your own episodes.

I would love to have something like that to animate my fiction writing into video.

That's just production/customization convenience. It doesn't really affect the viewing experience of the audience.

Vexx 2013-04-09 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marly (Post 4628931)
That's just production/customization convenience. It doesn't really affect the viewing experience of the audience.

heh, you asked "what it accomplished", you didn't specify for who. But yes, that's the only advantage I can think of (the ease of storytelling).

For the audience, '3d' can actually be distracting. If you've seen the "toilet paper bear" commercials, they've gone 3d and it is actually a even creepier now.

relentlessflame 2013-04-09 20:59

I guess a key question is whether the original poster meant "3D" as in "using CG to animate 3D objects" (in which case a lot of anime already does this, at least in part), or "3D" as in wear the glasses and things are popping-out of your monitor/TV and slapping you in the face ( :heh: ). I suppose it's unlikely you'd have the latter without using CG, though, because the costs of 3D compositing would be too high for something hand-drawn. (I think it probably has been done, though, and cel-shading has definitely been getting better.)

(Looks like he just meant CG, as opposed to audience-facing 3D.)

Kyuu 2013-04-09 21:14

If anyone wants to know what Japan would do with pure CG animation -- just look at the video games.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marly (Post 4628888)

More realistic looking characters.

EDIT: And oh, imagine hentai being done in CG. XD

Triple_R 2013-04-09 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marly (Post 4628888)

I think 3D can be a nice way of "jazzing up" certain important scenes in an otherwise 2D show. I'm probably in the minority here, but I honestly liked how 3D was used in Love Live!, for example.

But I do hope that anime remains predominantly 2D.

2D is increasingly getting pushed out by 3D in the west, so I'd like for anime to continue to embrace 2D as the most commonly used form of animation. I'd absolutely hate to see classic 2D animation disappear entirely.