AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Kongou Banchou (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=82905)

gencbiba 2009-06-18 07:56

Kongou Banchou

Tried searching for a thread about this incredible new title, but did not find anything. If there is an existing thread, please merge or delete this one.
--------------

Will just give a quick description:

Basically, this is the story of Akira Kongo and his transfer to Shiritsu Raimei High School. Although denying entrance to the "23 district war", he is sucked in eventually and comes to the resolution of destroying the organization in charge of this meaningless tournament. However, as you read on, you'll really understand the meaning behind Akira's actions.

If anyone wants to add to that little description, go ahead and I'll edit it in.

This is not your cliche Japanese manga in the sense that it really portrays American superhero comics. The story is past faced, and the fighting usually doesn't last long, favoring quick endings and really smooth fights. That's the main reason why I really like this one. Not to mention the main character really reminds me of Colossus from X-Men (you'll see why as you read on).

Anyway, everyone should definitely check this one out and discuss it here. And you definitely should not read this with the expectation of some incredible storyline. Its strongpoints are the fighting and great drawings.

Vampire 2009-12-29 20:18

Just recently read this, Kongou is a man among men who kicks ass before breakfast with delicious pudding. This is definitely a shonen I would recommend for anyone.

Yuutsu 2012-03-03 20:39

Abso-bloody-lutely fantastic. Great action, good humour, awesome protag, and a hint of romance.

Also, Kongou shall now be inducted into the venerable pantheon of GAR alongside the likes of Kamina, Guts, Simon, Kenshiro, and Archer.

marvelB 2012-05-21 15:34

I just got into this series over the weekend. Simply put, it's ridiculously awesome and I have ZERO idea why it's so overlooked (or why I haven't gotten into it sooner, for that matter!). So far I've gotta say that this is one of the few currently running manga aside from Toriko that gives me a strong 80's vibe (back when the biggest, manliest men dominated those black & white pages ;)).

That being said, I'm currently at chapter 25. So far my favorite banchou (aside from Kongou himself) is Sasori, though design-wise I really like the 5 guys that were just introduced this chapter. Oh yes, I'll definitely be making sure that THIS thread sees some activity.....

Okashira 2012-05-21 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4170363)
So far I've gotta say that this is one of the few currently running manga aside from Toriko that gives me a strong 80's vibe

I thought serialization finished some time ago? I maybe mistaken, though.

marvelB 2012-05-21 19:45

^Oh, it ended? To be honest, I'm not sure since the translations aren't up to date yet. Still, if it is over, that's a shame. This is easily one of the most fun manga I've read in some time. At any rate, I guess I should rephrase my earlier post from "currently running" to "recent".

BTW, now that I'm at chapter 40 I just want to add another favorite character to my list: Hikyou Banchou. Gotta love a guy who relies solely on dirty tricks to win a fight. Bakunetsu Banchou's pretty cool, too (lol at the fact that he can shrug off a freaking missile attack yet Kongou's fist is capable of damaging him :p). Can't wait to see how crazy the rest of the banchou designs get from this point on. :D

marvelB 2012-05-24 15:30

Well, consider me caught up to all the translated chapters! :) Damn, this series is truly a wild ride of awesome. I also like how Kongou doesn't even hold back (at least not always) even when fighting women. Not that it would have done him any good against his current opponent (who's also a freak of nature)....

And yeah, I did a little digging and found out that the series had indeed ended a couple years ago. :( Really sad to learn that, but hopefully there's a chance that the author may consider making a sequel or spinoff series some time down the line.....

Okashira 2012-05-24 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4174522)
And yeah, I did a little digging and found out that the series had indeed ended a couple years ago. :( Really sad to learn that, but hopefully there's a chance that the author may consider making a sequel or spinoff series some time down the line.....

Since Kongou Banchou, I think that the author has made a few one shots, [ 神契り ] Kamo Chigiri or "Pledge to God" , [ 七つの大罪 ] or Nanatsu no Daizai , "Seven Deadly Sins" and ちぐはぐラバーズ or "Chiguhaku Lovers". I think that he has another one-shot that I haven't seen anything about and Chiguhaku Lovers seems to currently being serialized.

Spoiler for Sayaka, the lead from Chiguhaku:

Sadly, for all of his post bancho work his visual style seems greatly different (as in, guys don't tower at 3 meters or something).

edit : Updated with actual details about Chiguhaku.

Randrak42 2012-05-25 15:56

It's official, all Kongou's have short hair...their skulls are just very...spiky.

Awrya 2012-05-25 17:05

I lol'd hard when it was explained what kind of being he is. He isn't human, he isn't mammal, he is a Kongou:heh:
The shape of their skulls are funny as well, wonder if the little sister's skull will grow into shape as well:heh:

marvelB 2012-05-25 17:48

@Okashira: Thanks for the info about the author's other works. Actually, part of the reason why I wanted to check out this series in the first place was because I had read a previous work of Suzuki's called Ultra Red a couple years back. Sadly, it was also a rather short-lived series (apparently, because SJ didn't deem it good enough for Jump..... those bunch of blockheads). Nonetheless, I'd also recommend it for anyone who's interested because it's also a cool martial arts manga (it's not quite as over the top as KB of course, but still a short, awesome series nonetheless).

Anyways, about the newest translated chapter: Heh, the new enemy is awesome, as ridiculous as he is (lol, Japanese version of Captain America). And of course, he's yet another giant, which is a great plus. And hey, the badass elderly butler is even about to get involved (ah, badass butlers..... seriously, what doesn't this series have!?). I just want to see Akira's gargantuan father getting into action, now....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randrak42 (Post 4176069)
It's official, all Kongou's have short hair...their skulls are just very...spiky.

Well, that seems to apply only to the males, anyway. :p

Seitsuki 2012-05-26 03:44

Reminds me SO MUCH of Big Bang Age.

Now all he needs is a harem.

Awrya 2012-06-01 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seitsuki (Post 4176731)
Reminds me SO MUCH of Big Bang Age.

Now all he needs is a harem.

He has got his banchou harem:heh:
New chapter up, Homura (grandfather) coming to stop hakai banchou. In the flashback Homura is about as tall as Kongou Banchou, did he have a sudden growth spurt in the last few decaddes:twitch:

marvelB 2012-06-01 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4176174)
I just want to see Akira's gargantuan father getting into action, now....

Looks like my wish is about to be granted! :D

As expected, the butler is awesome. And that Hakai Banchou is a real beast, he is. But I've gotta say that the last page is all kinds of epic (though the panel with Papa Kongou being lifted by all those helicopters comes damned close). Definitely can't wait for the next chapter! :)

Randrak42 2012-06-01 15:29

Tactics 15! Banchou Docking!

Franky would be proud!

marvelB 2012-06-01 15:45

I can only assume that when Akira becomes an old man he'll also use dozens of helicopters as his primary means of transport, just like his dear ol' dad. ;)

marvelB 2012-06-08 09:23

Chapter 88's out!

And all I'll say is that those are the 10 manliest seconds in history.....

Randrak42 2012-06-08 15:56

Like the translator said...Nipon Banchou's reasoning is so...uugghhh "I'll use pain and violence to make the world better"
Wwwaaahhhh!?

Awrya 2012-06-08 17:34

Kongou Banchou destroyed Hakai Banchou into pieces. I have a feeling Hakai Banchou will still regenerate and then Kongou family will have to combine their strenght to take them down.:uhoh:

marvelB 2012-06-08 20:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randrak42 (Post 4198386)
Like the translator said...Nipon Banchou's reasoning is so...uugghhh "I'll use pain and violence to make the world better"
Wwwaaahhhh!?

lol, yeah. He's basically saying that he wants eternal war. He may as well go for the full JRPG villain angle and say that he intends to save the world through destroying it. I mean, isn't that what would pretty much happen anyway if a bunch of super-powered gang leaders ruled the earth? :rolleyes: