AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   dvd+r question (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=39880)

ruly 2006-12-07 00:42

dvd+r question

I have a dumb question when you insert a blank dvd+r in your drive (laptop) when you go to my computer does it have to show that there´s a dvd in the drive or it doesn't recognize it you know because is blank.

Hope somebody can help me.

Potatochobit 2006-12-07 06:34

it will say dvd in drive 0 kb

felix 2006-12-07 10:06

They are just that.. blanks.. if you place one and go to your DVD-RW and open it shows an empty folder..

Some cheap ones aren't recognized.. which means windows can't write on them.. I guess~

demonix 2006-12-07 12:18

Whenever I put blank DVD+R media into my burner (Media is TDK so it ain't cheap) and all it states in my computer for the drive is CD drive but my burning software will see the disc properly

ruly 2006-12-07 14:12

So how do you access your files when you burn your dvd if your drive says only cd drive

felix 2006-12-07 16:21

Huh?!~
You need a DVD drive to view DVDs
DVD Writers can write/view DVDs and CDs

CD Writers can NOT write or view DVDs

demonix 2006-12-08 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruly (Post 761711)
So how do you access your files when you burn your dvd if your drive says only cd drive

Like duh it only states that when the disc is blank once the disc has been burned it will state whatever label I've put on it.
And F.Y.I I have a freecom Dual layer DVD recorder

SeijiSensei 2006-12-08 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonix (Post 761599)
Whenever I put blank DVD+R media into my burner (Media is TDK so it ain't cheap) and all it states in my computer for the drive is CD drive but my burning software will see the disc properly

Just a wild guess, but I'd bet your version of Windows doesn't recognize the drive identifier string inside the burner's firmware. So Windows thinks it's a generic CD writer when you insert a disc. Your burning software obviously doesn't have this problem since it works correctly, and you say in another posting that Windows displays the DVD's volume identifier and shows the files when you insert a DVD with data on it.

Trying going to the System option in Windows Control Panel, then look at the Device Manager. You'll see right away what Windows thinks your burner is. It should report the device's model number and a variety of other characteristics. If they don't match the device, then the problem is that Windows does not recognize it correctly. Did the device come with any Windows drivers? Usually they're not necessary for a burner, but yours sounds recent enough (double-sided, for instance) that you might need to update the Windows driver to have it show the current information.

Since the drive works correctly with the burning software, and since you can access the files once the DVD is burned, this sounds more like a labelling problem than a problem with functionality.

demonix 2006-12-09 10:06

I'm using windows xp and the drive is an external USB2 drive (it has to be to burn DVD's) but I have acquired the most recent firmware for the drive from the freecom site but I haven't gotten around to applying it as of yet

Gundam Zero Force 2006-12-09 15:58

I hate the whole DVD + R -R deal . . . some computers only use one type, others use both :uhoh: :)

I perfer +RW's . . . expensive but everytime I burn something on a +R or -R it never works . . . . :uhoh: