AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Anime similar to Lucky Star? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=72947)

Spamiel 2008-10-15 21:56

Anime similar to Lucky Star?

I just finished watching Lucky Star. and I have to say. I really Really enjoyed it. It had just that kind of random humor that I love in an Anime. I guess thats why I loved Hare+Guu so much too :P Anyways, after watching it. I thought "Wow. Thats the first anime series i have finished watching in a long while" and it made me to start getting back into watching Anime after i took a long break from it. So the point of this topic is a question. And that question would be does anyone know of Anime's similar to Lucky Star. I'd Really Really appreciate it if someone helped me find some. :D I would love you forever. Hahahahah.

BTW. I am new to AnimeSuki so I don't know much about this place as of now :confused:

GreatTeacherKen 2008-10-15 22:16

Azumanga daioh might be good. It might be the show that popularized the genre that Lucky Star is part of: slice of life comedy. There are very few anime references compared to something like Lucky Star, but the show is nevertheless very funny.

Minami-ke 1st season: Another very funny slice of life comedy. And unlike a lot of other shows of its ilk, it has a few significant male characters who are quite memorable with the main stand out being Hosaka.

Ichigo Mashimaro: it's style of humor is much more low key and dry, but it's still funny if you're into that kind of thing. Plus, the girls are adorable.

jedinat 2008-10-15 22:19

A few others you might take a look at:
Genshiken
Potemayo
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

SeijiSensei 2008-10-15 22:23

The two series I know of that are most like Lucky*Star are Azumanga Daioh and Hidarmari Sketch. Both are shows about cute high-school girls doing cute things. Though many people might point to The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi as akin to Lucky*Star, that connection has more to do with the fact that both shows came from the same studio, Kyoto Animation, than it does with similarities in the story lines. Another similar show is Manabi Straight, though it didn't grab me as much as any of the other three.

These shows have essentially all-female casts. For a school comedy that adds boys into the mix, there are few shows funnier than School Rumble.

Cynor 2008-10-15 22:42

Don't forget that the main anime "ripped off" in Lucky Star is The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. In fact I think Konata and Haruhi actually share the same VA...

Anyways, you may like Hayate no Gotoku. It's another series similar to Lucky Star in that "rips off" some anime, and has a very loose comedy aspect about it.

SeijiSensei 2008-10-15 23:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynor (Post 1990874)
Don't forget that the main anime "ripped off" in Lucky Star is The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. In fact I think Konata and Haruhi actually share the same VA.

They do; it's the "idol seiyuu" Hirano Aya. Her most interesting performance to date is actually neither of these roles but her portrayal of the spunky young heiress Chizuko in Nijuu Mensou no Musume. The character Akira in Lucky Channel satirizes the whole 'idol seiyuu" cult that buoyed Hirano to fame.

That said, while L*S has a number of in-jokes that play on the link between Haruhi and Konata,* the series themselves are still quite different. L*S is based on a "4-koma" comic strip; Haruhi is based on a series of light novels.

jedinat mentioned Genshiken, which is another show about the "otaku" subculture that Konata represents. If you found that aspect of L*S appealing, you should also take a look at another satirical comedy, Welcome to the NHK, though one with much darker themes than most of the shows mentioned so far.

*The most obvious of these are the episode where Konata and friends go to a Hirano concert, and the scene in the cosplay cafe where Konata performs as Haruhi in the dance number, Hare Hare Yukai, which closes each Haruhi episode.

Cynor 2008-10-16 00:17

Ya, don't get me wrong, I don't really find them to be that alike... I mean both do have comedy, but the style is just so different. I was just pointing out that there is a semi-valid reason for people to say they are akin to each other besides the studio. Of course, that is very loose and if you did that you could probably even go so far as to say that Shakugan no Shana and Zero no Tsukaima are similar since they share a VA (Shana and Louise) and some of the same plot/char elements...

ddwkc 2008-10-16 00:32

Alike to Lucky Star, I don't know. However, you could check Pani Poni Dash.

Midnight1472 2012-07-03 14:45

Hey ik an anime thats exactly what your looking for. It's called "A Channal" and it's in sub not dub. It's like a second season with different characters. Very funny!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA 2012-07-03 14:56

Thread is almost 4 years old...........