AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Anime (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Life without anime - challenge to anime addicts (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31859)

Snouman88 2006-05-04 23:19

Life without anime - challenge to anime addicts

Are you an anime addict? Have you ever tried to live few weeks without watching anime?

Well I am a huge anime addict and I tried to live few weeks without watching anime at all. The few first days were ok. After a week I found it wery temptating to watch an anime episode. Somehow I managed to keep my fingers out of keyboard by doing something else. But as the time passed I got a grater desire to watch anime. Finally after 2 weeks I was free to do whatever I wanted - to watch anime.

If you are an anime addict, I challenge you to live few weeks witout anime. You will have much more freetime and you can do "different" things. Tell about your experiences.

rooboy 2006-05-04 23:23

Well, I dunno. I have a real life, so frequently I go a week or two and don't get to watch anything. Like on the order of once a month or so, do I get a prize?

I like prizes. :)

Calca 2006-05-05 00:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snouman88
Are you an anime addict? Have you ever tried to live few weeks without watching anime?

Well I am a huge anime addict and I tried to live few weeks without watching anime at all. The few first days were ok. After a week I found it wery temptating to watch an anime episode. Somehow I managed to keep my fingers out of keyboard by doing something else. But as the time passed I got a grater desire to watch anime. Finally after 2 weeks I was free to do whatever I wanted - to watch anime.

If you are an anime addict, I challenge you to live few weeks witout anime. You will have much more freetime and you can do "different" things. Tell about your experiences.

I imagine most people would just do something else.

What are you expecting? Tremors and cold sweats and people beating their wives and girlfriends?

This isn't heroin

NoSanninWa 2006-05-05 00:49

I went a few months without chocolate, so I believe that I could do that with anime also. I just don't want to. One needs some incentive to do a thing like that.

Tiberium Wolf 2006-05-05 01:19

I can't leave without it. I check irc topics and baka-updates everyday! It's a must!

Vexx 2006-05-05 01:51

I see the OP lasted a few seconds before going down in flames .... ah well... I have dozens of hobbies that dont get enough time, yay for them.

jedinat 2006-05-05 02:12

If I weren't watching anime I'd be reading. If I weren't reading I'd be playing computer games. I'm addicted to escapist entertainment, and anime just seems to be the most stimulating one.

Daniel E. 2006-05-05 03:20

If I can go a couple of months without video games; I sure as hell can survive a few weeks without anime.

nixie 2006-05-05 05:46

Oh heck I can't do that unless I'm suffering from anime depression. The last one lasted for a good 3 months. :P But no, not when I'm at my peak now; a day or two is fine, but a week? Nah... Whatever for? I don't wanna create backlogs.

Mephisto2k 2006-05-05 07:19

Even if i would stop watching anime and reading manga for a few weeks, i still had to dl the recent stuff from baka-updates and so on, because to catch up later on with everything is just trublesome as far as downloading everything is concerned. And even with watching as much as I can my hdds are overflowing. Without frequent watching/deleting/transfering/burning my hdds would kick my ass.
But if i leave out that aspect I think i could last some time. But Im not motivated to do so unless someone offers me money for it or something like that. I wouldnt stop watching just to proove that i can do so.

DaFool 2006-05-05 08:26

It's more of a fear of having to catch up later on and having a backlog than the actual lack of anime.

I dunno, it's like reading the news, I want to stay on top.

The only circumstances that would make such a thing happen was if my comp were to break down (unlikely) or a business or holiday trip, in which case I would be living my escapist entertainment anyway. I think about a month would do it, otherwise I'd crack.

sorvani 2006-05-05 17:59

i find myself watching fewer shows as they air anymore. i can easily just wait until mid season or even end of season before i watch a show.

between working full time and going back to school full time for my BA, i dont' get to watch a lot anyway. i can go a month easy simply because i'm writing papers.

Mirtual 2006-05-05 18:03

Of course, one must know his own priorities in life, and as much as I like watching anime or reading manga amongst other things in my spare time, I have to say that those things have their place in my life and I think it is not even at the top ten.
Just something I like to do to kind of relax, and one can always life without those things if needed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf
I can't leave without it. I check irc topics and baka-updates everyday! It's a must!

Now if this isn't an interesting misspelling.

bdragonomega 2006-05-05 22:18

I dunno, i usually watch anime in small sessions. I get hooked until i watch everything I want to and then I stop for a long time. Come back, grab some new shows and what not and watch all of em. I stop watching anime but I keep downloading it for one of those days that I just wanna watch or have nothing to do.

Newtyped 2006-05-05 22:28

sum time without anime is like well,
A Summer Wit Miami

Rich 2006-05-06 14:28

if you can't live without anime more than a week then you have officially become an otaku. but gladly i ain't a otaku yet =P have too much school work to handle ~

[DOT].L 2006-05-06 16:07

Throw me a healthy stack of novels and I can live without anime indefinitely. It can also work the other way around.

Orchunter226 2006-05-07 15:06

I went without anime for a month, it's called work, school, and WoW. You'd be surprised how little you crave anime when your trying to down Ragnaros.

MarcusG 2006-05-07 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedinat
If I weren't watching anime I'd be reading. If I weren't reading I'd be playing computer games. I'm addicted to escapist entertainment, and anime just seems to be the most stimulating one.

What he said basically. BUT

I had friends that were known as animephiles. They would watch way too much and invite people to their houses just to watch a bunch of anime. I thought it was kinda sad. Especially seeing 19-24 yr old men watching girly anime shows and talking fantasizing about the girls and stuff. THAT REALLY kills me.
One day I moved into a new home away from friends and my car died. I was introduced to Naruto( IloveNinjas). Downloaded 50 episodes and watched them all in one day. I love colors and art and became an anime addict. Its stimulating eye candy like video games. Once I lost Xbox Live and had no one to play Guilty Gear with it was over.

OutPhase 2006-05-07 18:03

I could easily go a couple of weeks without anime. I thank this to me realizing that eventhough I haven't watched a series for several weeks, I can be confortable that I haven't missed anything with a trace of originality, and you shouldn't point out something that may be completely original to you because there's a 99.9% chance that it has been done before. Nothing completely unique has spung up last year, so why would it start to right now? Yeah, there are a couple of good shows out there still running, but it doesn't go under the category of "originality".