AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Are student/teacher relationships allowed... (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=115900)

Ruby Princess 2012-10-30 10:37

Are student/teacher relationships allowed...

... if the student and the teacher are dating before one of the partners becomes a teacher?

Kirito 2012-10-30 10:51

I guess it depends on whether the person is still in teachers college/university doing interns at schools or if the age gap is too great ie 16 year old dating an 24 year old. It's hard to say considering that the teacher and student relationship is such a controversial concept and the laws of consent can play a big role in such acts at times.

Also I think that school reputation can also be a factor since rumors within a school setting can get really out of hand at times

Ruby Princess 2012-10-30 10:52

Well, I know a guy and a girl... the girl (26 years old) plans to start teaching at college the upcoming Spring 2013 semester, and the guy (24 years old) plans to take one of the courses that she will be teaching the Summer 2013 semester. Would it be prohibited for them to continue dating?

kyp275 2012-10-30 10:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Princess (Post 4418787)
Well, I know a guy and a girl... the girl (26 years old) plans to start teaching at college the upcoming Spring 2013 semester, and the guy (24 years old) plans to take one of the courses that she will be teaching the Summer 2013 semester. Would it be prohibited for them to continue dating?

In that scenario, it would be up to the university. Can the college stop her from continue to date him? no, but if it's against their policy, they sure can fire her for it.

Best solution is just to take the course taught by someone else, if that's not possible, then just don't tell anyone and behave appropriately on the campus grounds.

willx 2012-10-30 10:57

Quote:

Interesting fact pattern, I don't think it would be prohibited -- but she would have to disclose the conflict and either 1) she won't be allowed to teach the class, 2) he won't be allowed to take the class or 3) they can both be in the class but an impartial 3rd party will grade/evaluate his performance in that class.

Endless Soul 2012-10-30 10:57

They're both adults. There shouldn't be a problem providing the Teacher can grade the homework objectively, and without letting their relationship getting in the way.

Caveat: I'm a bit more open-minded than a lot of folks.

Endless "Objective" Soul

Kirito 2012-10-30 10:59

Quote:

Well if they're dating now before she starts teaching and before the guy start his program (with her teaching it) I believe it's okay. But when she starts her new teaching job this upcoming spring it's practically not since the relationship has to been kept "professional". Regardless of age it's still not acceptable in the education background unless they're married or something... who knows?

It's such a controversial concept so it's hard to find a definite compromise to this subject.

willx 2012-10-30 11:06

Again, I'd point out third-party grading and evaluations are a common practice outside of a relationship (dating) issue. Like if there is a relation of any kind, like relatives or if one party feels prejudiced or would otherwise be accused of unfairness -- a third party does the evaluations. It's in existing college policies already .. :heh:

ArchmageXin 2012-10-30 11:22

Fact of the matter is, professionals, I.E Teachers, doctors, priests, lawyers are not suppose to be sleeping with their clients (I.E students, believer, patients) because the idea of (undue influence), and in teacher's case, special favoritism.

So your friend must show

1) She is not using her power as a teach to coerce him to date her. This is usually ok for you since both parties always saw each other pre-teaching days.

2) Is a lot harder, while one can argue at the age of 24 is better than 14 to get hit by accusations of "Teacher's pet", but if people start suggesting he is getting A not because he is a good student but because he is nailing the teacher, then you got a serious problem on your hand. Furthermore, you don't want get hit by a full scale investigation on academic dishonesty (This could mean serious business)

Moral of the story, keep things off campus, don't kiss the teacher in class, and keep the whole thing quiet until you are done with the course. And ask the boyfriend never raise the issue until he graduates (I.E telling his friend he was being frisky with the professor)

Funny enough, we accountants don't have this rule, I guess we CPAs, unlike other professionals, are not cool enough to seduce our clients. :heh:

Ridwan 2012-10-30 11:23

This thread reminds me of my gradeschool days...

Kafriel 2012-10-30 11:23

As long as they don't openly express their relationship within the teacher's working space, I don't see any problem. That is, of course, provided that the teacher is objective towards that certain student, unless other issues have arised.

Quote:

It would be way to much of a coincidence. The teacher just miraculously starts teaching at the same school her/his girl/boyfriend is attending?
It's feasible in college/university, but any degree of exposure could place the teacher at risk of losing his position.

NoemiChan 2012-10-30 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Princess (Post 4418770)
... if the student and the teacher are dating before one of the partners becomes a teacher?

You meant.. if my current girlfriend whom I'm currently dating will be my school teacher???

Possible. But please keep the emotions outside the school gate....

kaito-kid 2012-10-30 11:26

Quote:

prohibited? Who cares.. I'm sure it'll sure make the sex hotter!:cool:

Xellos-_^ 2012-10-30 11:37

regardin Techer/Student relatioships

If it is good enough for Newt Grinch it is good enough for Everybody.

bigdeal000 2012-10-30 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafriel (Post 4418824)
It's feasible in college/university, but any degree of exposure could place the teacher at risk of losing his position.

Well, yes, you're right (even though I attend college right now and I've never seen a teacher so young). But I was thinking about high school actually. You know, when I was in high school, my english teacher told me that's incorrect to use teacher for college - the term would be professor. I never talked informal english outside of animesuki (and I'm new here), and was only used to the formal way we talked in class. That's why teacher = high school to me, so I never really thought about college until "Ruby Princess" replied to my post with that info. Still, a college teacher so young when I see only old hags everywhere - guess different countries are well...different :eyespin:

SaintessHeart 2012-10-30 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ (Post 4418840)
regardin Techer/Student relatioships

If it is good enough for Newt Grinch it is good enough for Everybody.

You mean you can support this? :D

Singaporean female teacher jailed for sex with student

Eragon 2012-10-30 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintessHeart (Post 4418881)

That "Cuddle Cafe" is really something. Though to be honest, customers would need to have tremendous self control :heh: That cafe is a test of your will power :D

* sorry about getting off-topic. That news was something I couldn't ignore ;)

Grifis 2012-10-30 12:50

It's not allowed but that doesn't mean they can't date in secret and have a happy ending like Na-chan and Mieko in Marmalade Boy.

When I was in college, I know of a professor who used to date her professor when she was a student and got married after she graduated. Anyways...

NinjaRealist 2012-10-30 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruby Princess (Post 4418770)

It would be against the rules of most universities to do this. It's a conflict of interest.

I boned a girl I was TAing once and it was actually super awkward.

LeoXiao 2012-10-30 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintessHeart (Post 4418881)

Well she was having sex with a minor. According to article she could've gotten ten years instead or just one.