AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Code Geass (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Character Discussion - Suzaku (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=65007)

Klashikari 2008-04-09 14:54

Character Discussion - Suzaku

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Suzaku related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Code Geass fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode talk, there are already threads serving that purpose.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.
  • Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...al/spoiler.gifJust highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...ons/report.gifClick the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-09 18:31

personally he's a pretty complicate character, i think it's hard to really understand his thinking.

but when contrast with lulu, his convictions seem to pale in comparison.

His notable hypocritical statements seems to stick out like sore thumbs and i think that is why a number of people hate him for these.

UltimateClash 2008-04-09 18:32

He seems more like Lelouch now.....more sadistic.

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-09 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltimateClash (Post 1522551)
He seems more like Lelouch now.....more sadistic.

?? i don't think so. i think he has just become more realistic.

Dann of Thursday 2008-04-09 18:34

Lelouch isn't all that sadistic nor would I say that Suzaku is either. Suzaku is certainly one of the most complicated characters in this show and a good opposite to Lelouch.

_DaViD_ 2008-04-09 19:16

i think he tries to look "badass" now and dont care about japan since Euphie's death
but maybe the plot can have a twist, thats why i love code geass u cant know what the characters are thinking

Blue_Mercy 2008-04-09 19:34

Edit: I put this image in spoiler even those it isn't since most people just got a shorter preview than they were supposed too.

Dragging your friend in a Britannia prison suit by his hair to the feet of the person he hates the most might not be sadistic yet, but I think it's just a sample of what we can expect from Suzaku this season.

Dann of Thursday 2008-04-09 19:42

Well, this is just with Lelouch and probably any of his enemies I guess.

Grimkill7 2008-04-09 19:43

Unlike most people, I don't hate Suzaku. I'm indifferent towards him and I've actually been quite impressed with his character more than once in the series. However, if somehow by the grace of the devil he gets together with Kallen, then no more. All the combined hatred of all the Suzaku haters in the world will not equal 1/10th of the hate I would have for him if that happened.

Dann of Thursday 2008-04-09 19:44

That's a silly reason to hate someone. Besides, the plot won't allow since it would require way too much to happen and a lot of change on either Suzaku or Kallen's part.

-Breakthrough- 2008-04-09 19:47

I dont hate Suzaku either. Its just...as others mentioned, he's pretty complicated, but he's always been neutral on my side.

deathkelsey 2008-04-09 20:09

The only problem I had with Suzaku was the fact that through the entire first season he keeps talking about changing the empire from the inside without even realizing that in order to do that he would have to convince the emperor who to me dosent seem like the kinda guy who wants to stop the oppression he helped create. But hopefully this new jaded heartbroken Suzaku will be less annoying.

TheRainbowConnection 2008-04-09 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathkelsey (Post 1522811)
The only problem I had with Suzaku was the fact that through the entire first season he keeps talking about changing the empire from the inside without even realizing that in order to do that he would have to convince the emperor who to me dosent seem like the kinda guy who wants to stop the oppression he helped create. But hopefully this new jaded heartbroken Suzaku will be less annoying.

That's the thing--I don't think he himself believed in it when he was spouting off that crap. It was simply a way for him to justify his life in the height of his madness. It was a fantastical lie that he told himself over and over again until Euphie came along and actually offered to turn his lie into reality. And if he could help Euphie make that come true, then he can absolve himself for pulling the wool over his own eyes for the past seven years, right? Right? :rolleyes:

(The last bit was sarcasm, if it wasn't clear enough.)

noodlemeister 2008-04-09 21:47

Spoiler for If the following is true:

Then he's just short sighted because that won't change much. People under oppression, no matter how non-violent it is, will always want freedom, and Suzaku can't see that. He also seems to be an arrogant fool who thinks he can bring happiness to everyone on his own.

Btw, I don't hate him, he means to help but just does it in a wrong way. At least from my pov.

Dann of Thursday 2008-04-09 21:50

I haven't heard anything regarding that. Sounds like speculation to me.

SoldierOfDarkness 2008-04-09 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dann of Thursday (Post 1523070)
I haven't heard anything regarding that. Sounds like speculation to me.

No it came through the spoilers talking about the Knights of the Round (With the corresponding magazines). Though I can't find it anymore now that it's been dug in deep.

Quote:

People under oppression, no matter how non-violent it is, will always want freedom, and Suzaku can't see that. He also seems to be an arrogant fool who thinks he can bring happiness to everyone on his own.
Well the Japanese were content enough to have their own region within Area 11 made up by Euphie.

In this case it'll be under Suzaku himself though they'll still be discontent and distrust there so he would have a long way to go to make it a better place.

And don't forget, he's a knight of the Emperor. To go against Suzaku would be the equivalent of opposing the Emperor (Which no one would dare).

Dann of Thursday 2008-04-09 22:26

Really? First I heard of it. I'm rather surprised actually.

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-09 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness (Post 1523168)
No it came through the spoilers talking about the Knights of the Round (With the corresponding magazines). Though I can't find it anymore now that it's been dug in deep.

picture or it didn't happen.

:rolleyes:

Dann of Thursday 2008-04-09 22:29

SoD wouldn't make something like this up. There was a large article about the Knights a while back, so I'd trust it to be true.

scifijimmy 2008-04-09 22:34

As far as Suzuku changing the empire internally is false hope and always was due to his Eminence the Emperor. Never really seemed possible with Euphie alive, and I don't think it's on his mind now. As far as stopping him from killing Lelouch, only a LOOONNNG talk with C.C. can avert that.

SoldierOfDarkness 2008-04-09 22:34

*Still looking for it*

Oh come on I can't be the only one that read it! I didn't even posted it either.

Meatrose 2008-04-09 22:37

No, you're not the only one. I also remember reading it, but I can't seem to figure out where. Sorry.

noodlemeister 2008-04-09 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness (Post 1523168)
Well the Japanese were content enough to have their own region within Area 11 made up by Euphie.

It will always be the Britannians who make the laws, and change those laws, anytime they wish. This will bring about terrorism aka fighting for freedom and Japanese will never be united as one.

Quote:

In this case it'll be under Suzaku himself though they'll still be discontent and distrust there so he would have a long way to go to make it a better place.

And don't forget, he's a knight of the Emperor. To go against Suzaku would be the equivalent of opposing the Emperor (Which no one would dare).
And that's precisely what's wrong with Suzaku's ways, asking for absolute submission. The people in Area 11 will forever be under control of Britannia. If real life is any indication, there will always be a group of people who cannot stand occupation.

ashlay 2008-04-09 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness (Post 1523190)
*Still looking for it*

Oh come on I can't be the only one that read it! I didn't even posted it either.

you probably just misunderstood something. >_>

Blue_Mercy 2008-04-09 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness (Post 1523190)
*Still looking for it*

First I heard of it was when you posted it. Besides I think Suzaku has other things to worry about like how badly Lelouch's revenge on him is going to be.

SoldierOfDarkness 2008-04-09 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashlay (Post 1523198)
you probably just misunderstood something. >_>

Et tu Ashlay? :twitch:

Well eitherway it WOULD help explain why Suzaku is still fighting for Britannia.

Though I admit I was the one who said Suzaku would probably never even want to go near japan again.

*Note: Until I find the link I'm putting the Knight of One on hold*

noodlemeister 2008-04-09 22:46

I don't see why else he would opt to join the Knights of the Round other than the reason stated. He's character differs from Lelouch in that he's trying to work with Britannia to make the world (in his case, maybe the world is Japan?) a better place while Lelouch's trying to destroy Britannia to do so.

Kristen 2008-04-09 22:48

The thing about Suzaku to me (As someone who saw 1-7 of R1 and 1 of R2) is that he seems to be broken, somehow. Like, he seems to have been in wavering allegiance, even if he was still loyal. Like, his exterior showed that, but his heart wanted to join Zero. Yet, after R2, it seems like his rebellious state is gone...

ashlay 2008-04-09 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrissieXD (Post 1523227)
The thing about Suzaku to me (As someone who saw 1-7 of R1 and 1 of R2) is that he seems to be broken, somehow. Like, he seems to have been in wavering allegiance, even if he was still loyal. Like, his exterior showed that, but his heart wanted to join Zero. Yet, after R2, it seems like his rebellious state is gone...

Yeah, we'll have to see some more of him this season, but I think his allegiance is extremely resolute now despite being very much in reality once more.

Though my sense is he's basically chosen to be the anti-thesis of Zero because of the consequences of Lelouch's actions in season 1. If people like Euphie have to die for rebellion, then rebellion be damned, the world should stay the way it is.

SoldierOfDarkness 2008-04-09 23:07

It's just occured to me, how did Suzaku get the position of 7? Was the 7th position open or did Wakamoto just knock one guy out and moved the rest of the knights to their next position?

Quote:

Like, he seems to have been in wavering allegiance, even if he was still loyal. Like, his exterior showed that, but his heart wanted to join Zero. Yet, after R2, it seems like his rebellious state is gone...
Because he's fully aware of what Zero had done for the Japanese.

Voduar 2008-04-09 23:13

As a character Suzaku is a little hard to analyze. His speech is not consistent with his military actions, indicating he is either oblivious or a fool, but his actions outside of a mech show neither. While he certainly wears his naivette like a shield, he does not come off as mentally deficient, which leads one to a limited number of conclusions. We are given several options, the first of which is that he is operating under a lot of self delusion. This seems to be a logical conclusion, though its a little hard to prove, most people seem to believe its true.

So, the question to me is, Does he realize that he is rescuing mechs that were in the process of slaughtering civilians? When I first saw the series, I assumed he had to realize that, but having seen a few of his defenders, it occurred to me that he might not tumble to the fact that most of Zero's attacks have occurred during anti-civilian missions. Answering that, which will hopefully be happening this season, will make Suzaku's motivations much clearer.

Oh, and personally, I hate Suzaku with the burning passion of a thousand suns, in the very moment they are consumed by a black hole and release their energy in a burst of unimaginable power. But, every hero needs a foil, I guess

TheRainbowConnection 2008-04-10 00:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voduar (Post 1523276)
So, the question to me is, Does he realize that he is rescuing mechs that were in the process of slaughtering civilians? When I first saw the series, I assumed he had to realize that, but having seen a few of his defenders, it occurred to me that he might not tumble to the fact that most of Zero's attacks have occurred during anti-civilian missions. Answering that, which will hopefully be happening this season, will make Suzaku's motivations much clearer.

I think that he's developed an incredible capacity for rationalization as a defense mechanism. Why are things the way they are? Because that is how order requires it to be. If might (and not justice) makes order, and order makes happiness, then he's going to enforce order at the end of a VARIS rifle. So yes, I think he does realize that he's helping units engaged in senseless slaughter of civilians, and I truly think that he believes that what they're doing is wrong. But, he has wrapped himself up in this mindframe where he'll still go along with blatant injustice.

And I don't hate him. He is an otherwise strong man who has faced intense pressure...and buckled greatly. His actions don't make him particularly likable, and it's still hard to empathize with him, but it's easy to see how very broken and human he is. And that is what makes him a very interesting character. He's no superhuman (minus speedhax and wallhax). He's a huge enigma, and I constantly want to know more about the parts of his life that we don't know about (pre-Lelouch and between the ages of 10 and 17). At any rate, he makes a far more interesting antagonist than Gundam's straight-laced-best-friend (a la Athrun) or, even worse, generic nihilist #57 (see: Rau, Rey, Zechs, etc.).

Voduar 2008-04-10 01:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRainbowConnection (Post 1523439)
I think that he's developed an incredible capacity for rationalization as a defense mechanism. Why are things the way they are? Because that is how order requires it to be. If might (and not justice) makes order, and order makes happiness, then he's going to enforce order at the end of a VARIS rifle. So yes, I think he does realize that he's helping units engaged in senseless slaughter of civilians, and I truly think that he believes that what they're doing is wrong. But, he has wrapped himself up in this mindframe where he'll still go along with blatant injustice.

And I don't hate him. He is an otherwise strong man who has faced intense pressure...and buckled greatly. His actions don't make him particularly likable, and it's still hard to empathize with him, but it's easy to see how very broken and human he is. And that is what makes him a very interesting character. He's no superhuman (minus speedhax and wallhax). He's a huge enigma, and I constantly want to know more about the parts of his life that we don't know about (pre-Lelouch and between the ages of 10 and 17). At any rate, he makes a far more interesting antagonist than Gundam's straight-laced-best-friend (a la Athrun) or, even worse, generic nihilist #57 (see: Rau, Rey, Zechs, etc.).

Interesting, I can see that being the case, though I am not purely sold on that. However, and this is sort of a series flaw, Suzaku seems to only give very blunt statements of his beliefs, so we don't necessarily know if he thinks that coarsely, or if there is a more nuanced view in his head somewhere. Perhaps that is on the plate for this season. Self delusion does seem to be a bit of a theme in Code Geass, so it will be interesting to see how far the writers take it.

As to why my hate for Suzaku burns with the power of a galactic core gamma ray, its sort of a gut reaction. I really, really dislike the paladin archetype, and he fits many of the more annoying tropes of that, while simultaneously assisting in the depopulation of civilian areas. Also, and perhaps this is a geographical thing, but he strikes me as something we southerners call a "House Slave". He is disturbingly ok with Britannians abusing/murdering/tyrannizing his own people, and this just gets right under my skin. Seems wrong somehow.

mangastuff 2008-04-10 03:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRainbowConnection (Post 1523439)
At any rate, he makes a far more interesting antagonist than Gundam's straight-laced-best-friend (a la Athrun) or, even worse, generic nihilist #57 (see: Rau, Rey, Zechs, etc.).

Agree. He is complicated and that's what makes him more interesting as an antagonist than many of his type. He is, in some way, as kind-hearted as Lulu, and in other way, as selfish and ruthless as Lulu. But for some (known or unknown) reasons they go toward opposite ends. However even with those opposite characteristics they still resemble each other, like moon and sun, black and white. Lulu can destroy the world to protect someone, then Suzaku also can destroy anything to take revenge for a certain person. While Lulu manipultes others, Suzaku lie to himself...

But I still don't like Suzaku. He just turns my nerves :heh:

Airi 2008-04-13 07:43

well...(after watching ep 2) I can say that the Real Suzaku is as cold blooded as Lelouch! I love it!!!:D

Narona 2008-04-13 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airi (Post 1531051)
well...(after watching ep 2) I can say that the Real Suzaku is as cold blooded as Lelouch! I love it!!!:D

I hate Suzaku even more now :D

Airi 2008-04-13 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narona (Post 1531069)
I hate Suzaku even more now :D

this is his vengeance....Lelouch killed Euphie after all

Vallen Chaos Valiant 2008-04-13 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airi (Post 1531091)

But they are still not even, as Suzaku helped taken Nunnally away to Britannia. Hence there is still a score to settle for Lulu.

ashlay 2008-04-13 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airi (Post 1531091)

yeah yeah, and then Suzaku and V.V. took everything from Lelouch including his memories. >_>

Time to see how tough they are when the aren't catching Lelouch completely off-guard.

Airi 2008-04-13 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashlay (Post 1531105)
yeah yeah, and then Suzaku and V.V. took everything from Lelouch including his memories

Well, without memories he lived a very quiet and normal life.....:p