AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Attack on Titan (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Attack on Titan - Character Discussion - Mikasa (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=119126)

Kairin 2013-04-23 09:30

Attack on Titan - Character Discussion - Mikasa

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Mikasa related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Attack on Titan fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Folenfant 2013-04-23 11:51

I have a thing for the warrior maiden (Japan does too it would seem) and Mikasa is starting to fill that role quite admirably. I honestly can't tell if I like her look more with the long flowing hair or the sort of bob cut she has going on now as I've always found both fairly attractive. The latter certainly makes far more sense though if they're all going to be fighting pitched battles with swords swinging around and Tarzaning all over the place.

Seems like Eren has a ways to go to catch up to her in combat potential though. If Mikasa is like a Valkyrie right now he's like a militiaman that got called up last second when they ran out of the most able bodies.

sikvod00 2013-04-23 13:03

Eren essentially has a bodyguard whenever Mikasa is around. Lucky devil! It's entirely possible that her deep attachment to him is not romantic, and I'm totally fine with that. Clearly she lost her real family in a traumatic experience that has shaped her stoic personality. And when you factor that in with the recent tragedy of her foster mom, it makes a lot of sense why she goes out of her way to protect Eren.

larethian 2013-04-23 13:47

Mikasa is a somewhat unique heroine in Shounen manga (btw this is Shounen right? or Seinen?), being stronger than the protagonist, totally cool-headed and absolutely 'devoted' to him (really wish to see the backstory on why this is so).

I frankly hope she stays that way and not get outclassed by Eren due to some cliche training arc. Eren is already stronger than Mikasa in determination with a deadset goal. Of course, I hope he powers up (especially after what we saw in episode 3; the fact he could handle faulty equipment should be a kind of foreshadowing that he has some talent), but not to the point of outclassing Mikasa. Some power-up together with his determination would make him fit enough to be the protagonist. At the same time, keeping Mikasa stronger would make them a unique Hero-Heroine pair.

Anh_Minh 2013-04-23 14:31

On the one hand, I thought Jean was an idiot for holding a grudge against Eren for his relationship with Mikasa. If he was serious about her and just a bit smart, he'd have tried to become close friends with Eren - that's the way to get close to Mikasa.

On the other hand, even if he had played it smart, it doesn't look like attempts to make Mikasa look away from Eren will ever succeed.

Still, her delusion was pretty cute...

Kanon 2013-04-23 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by larethian (Post 4650125)
Mikasa is a somewhat unique heroine in Shounen manga (btw this is Shounen right? or Seinen?), being stronger than the protagonist, totally cool-headed and absolutely 'devoted' to him (really wish to see the backstory on why this is so).

Yes, this is shounen. I would have said Mikasa was unique too even if it weren't for Morgiana from Magi. I see a lot of similarities between the both of them. Both are physically and even mentally stronger than their male counterpart, and decided to devote their lives and fight for the one they love/admire. They even have the same deadpan expressions, though Mikasa is far more extreme (I don't think I've ever seen her smile...). They're the kind of heroines I'd like to see more often in shounen.

larethian 2013-04-23 20:57

^ oh yeah, I totally forgot about Mor (anyway, that's why I say 'somewhat', in case I missed out somebody similar :heh:). Now, I have to decide who is the more dangerous one :heh:

Folenfant 2013-04-24 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 4650328)
Yes, this is shounen. I would have said Mikasa was unique too even if it weren't for Morgiana from Magi. I see a lot of similarities between the both of them. Both are physically and even mentally stronger than their male counterpart, and decided to devote their lives and fight for the one they love/admire. They even have the same deadpan expressions, though Mikasa is far more extreme (I don't think I've ever seen her smile...). They're the kind of heroines I'd like to see more often in shounen.

They aren't as rare as you might think.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.h...ng+female+lead

Try using this search filter and see what you can turn up.

Destined_Fate 2013-04-30 09:20

I love how people are scared of her while they don't consider Eren as much of a threat. Such as first episode when the kids were going to beat up Eren until they notice Mikasa running in like a Ninja ready to murder them.

richardtengcy 2013-05-01 08:37

Her strength is unbelievable....she could throw Eren single-hand in Episode one...almost remind me of Kenpachi from Bleach.

Imagine she use 2 hand to fight...run for your life!!

Newhope 2013-05-02 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by richardtengcy (Post 4661081)
Her strength is unbelievable....she could throw Eren single-hand in Episode one...almost remind me of Kenpachi from Bleach.

Imagine she use 2 hand to fight...run for your life!!

She's built like a brick shit house I bloody wouldn't mess with her.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/690...geo1rx92ng.jpg

Destined_Fate 2013-05-02 12:23

At least she has muscle. I've seen way too much anime where the female characters that are supposed to be in the military aren't fit at all and have busts bigger than their heads. So it's very nice that she actually looks like that she will mess you up if you give her a reason to.

Seitsuki 2013-05-02 17:31

I think hope pray that's more of a comedic than serious piece. I mean, her name is Mikarin, her hobby is Eren, her specialty is slicing meat and her assignment is the Recon Corps Idol Squad :heh:

Grey 2013-05-02 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seitsuki (Post 4662869)
I think hope pray that's more of a comedic than serious piece. I mean, her name is Mikarin, her hobby is Eren, her specialty is slicing meat and her assignment is the Recon Corps Idol Squad :heh:

Suddenly it's discovered the titans are weak to songs. The Recon Corps Idol Squad is formed!

And then the story is revealed to actually be part of the Macross universe.

Raviel 2013-05-02 22:00

Quote:

I think that picture is from one of the back pages/omakes in the manga, sadly that one never got translated.

So no worries :heh:

(although that description of Mikasa's hobbies isn't that far from the truth XD)

vansonbee 2013-05-02 23:14

Quote:

Don't forget her side job of abusing Sasha. :)

KaminaTheGreat 2013-05-04 11:51

I like her. She's an awesome character.

Sumeragi 2013-05-06 03:06

Well, given that she's 170 cm tall and 68 kg..... all that weight needs to go somewhere.

Tougarashi 2013-05-07 05:22

People are saying that Mikasa being cool-headed. That's not right after all. In episode 5, she was blubbing nonsense over the assigned duty and Eren have to scold her to calm down. In that scene, the cool-headed one was Eren, not Mikasa.

yankky5 2013-05-07 05:43

Its funny how theres another mikasa(/her which ever comes first) appeared on this seasons anime huh?