AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   School Days (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Character discussion - Makoto (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=52224)

Skyfall 2007-08-03 11:02

Character discussion - Makoto

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Makoto related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all School Days fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!

Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter / game talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

Makoto is a character that can cause very heated debates and i see high potential for possible flame wars with this one. Remember - this is a discussion, so people are bound to disagree with you. Please pay extra attention to the rule, as no insults towards other forum members will be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

Spoiler Policy
Warning: It will be tempting to discuss the surprising endings from the game. Let's save such things for discussion in the thread for the game. Let's just say that some of the endings can be nasty and not say another word!

Due to the heavy nature of possible game spoilers we have decided to disallow any further posting of game spoilers in this thread, even under spoiler tags. Read the following rule for clarification:

Any spoiler/hints/discussion, even under the spoiler tags, from the game/manga that leads to the revealtion of any future events to the anime will be deleted from here on. Furthermore, the poster will also earn a ban to empasize the point that no spoiler will be tolerated in this thread.

You are still invited to use spoiler tags if you feel the need to.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Shana 2007-08-03 14:29

Thanks Skyfall, those threads I thought was really necesary

Well, Makoto isn't the best chracter. He's the most hated :heh: ~ he do all the things he want, as be Kotonoha's boyfriend and be Sekai's lover. But he don't mind about if Sekai's heart (or Kotonoha's heart) is hurter. Sex, sex n' sex is all is in his head. From episode 3 and more he's the most hated, why? becouse he wants girls, girls and girls but if he want other girl he ya don't mind about the other girls' heart.

A few days ago, we and a friend was watching one of the episodes, she said to me "He's like Takayuki" [Takayuki Narumi, Kiminozo] and I get up of the chair and say her, "MAKOTO ISN'T AS HE!" I have reasons,
  • Takayuki yes mind about the girls' heart [You know, when Haruka... well, is spoiler and anything related to School Days]
  • He wasn't a ecchi

Echoes 2007-08-03 15:53

I started out with an open mind, and thought that he would be the typical male lead for a romance series. After the two first episodes I figured he was an alright guy, just a little pushy, but I still cheered for him.
After I'd watched a few more episodes, I really started to *hate* him. This is in fact pretty rare, there are very few characters I actually hate, I dislike many, many annoy me, but I hardly ever hate them.

I think it's because I quickly developed feelings of affection towards both Kotonoha and Sekai, they're both very appealing and cute in their own way.
It just seemed to me that Makoto had no respect whatsoever for his Kotonoha.
- He's extremely pushy, he pretty much demands sexual contact.
- He doesn't try to see things from her point of view at all, even though he must know how shy she is.
- He's basically cheating on her (even he's not stupid enough to know that Sekai also likes him)
- He talks about her behind her back, to the other woman he's involved with, none the less.

I've only seen up to episode 4 at the moment, so my feelings might change after I've watched more of the show, but I doubt I'll ever grow to like Matoko again.
I guess I'm just fed up with the typical guy attitude, sex before everything, if he truly likes her, he would respect the fact that she needs time. Just being with her should bring him happiness, did he truly care for her.
Well, that's my take on it anyways. Cheers.

Joka 2007-08-03 18:47

Stop hating Makoto. He is a dumb ass, but so what?

Quick summary:

He is an immature kid.

He realizes that he can get boners thus he gets boner frequently.

Chick in his school has big bewbs.

He likes her.

She likes him back.

His best friend sets him and the girl up.

He is happy as fuck.

His best friend kisses him. He is confused.

His inexperienced shows on his date.

He continues to be a douche by feeling up on her among other shit.

Still clueless as fuck.

Finds out that his relationship is not right. He does not understand why (obviously they are not compatible).

Best friend acts extremely hurt.

Not completely understanding why she is hurt, wanting to see her, and having a feel that seeing her would be the right thing.

They met up. Her bewbs are busting, because of the rain.

He realizes his mistake and declares he likes her.

They get horny. They do it.

That is the sum of the past 5 episodes. Give the kid a break. Most guys his age do not know how to act/behave around girls. Now add the fact he has 2 hot chicks wanting him. Add the fact that they constantly make out with him. Take all that and you get a confused, horny, little douche, who lets the smaller of his heads make the decisions.

Deathkillz 2007-08-03 19:27

mate you really need to stop saying that she "has big bewbs" as it is giving me the fcking creeps >.> you are beginning to sound like the makoto type yourself ~

its understandable that he is an immature brat virgin (okey before cause he got lucky...) who doesnt know crap about the world...this is NO excuse for him as a human being to do wrong...

its like saying a kid who killed someone shouldnt get punished because "they dont know anything yet" ~ kids dont normally go out and kill so it must be due to other influences (cough parents cough)

get this simple fact right ~ being clueless is not an excuse so i can hate him all i want *cheers* :D (besides this is all personal opinion so theres no point telling people to stop hating him...)

Echoes 2007-08-03 21:39

He's old enough to understand any and all of the things I dislike him for doing.
Why should I give him any breaks at all? The very, very least he could do is not get involved with 2 girls at once. What would be even closer to human decency would be to treat them with some respect, but this is of course merely a pipedream at the moment.

The "recipe" you listed, though I agree that we'd end up with a confused, horny douche, doesn't take into consideration that he would have to have been a douche to begin with as well, he's not a victim of circumstance.

Ashlotte 2007-08-03 22:49

Eh well his basic core character is abit flawed and what compounds the problem is noone is stopping him...Hell his environment is actually fostering his screwed up view on women. Sekai's behaving like his barometer of sorts on how he can treat women and unfortunately shes letting him get away with anything he wants with only a minimum amount of resistance.

I have a feelings the poor idiot is going to be the type that will learn his lessons the hard way for better or worse...

Aceywacey 2007-08-04 08:55

Makoto's main fault imo is rushing Kotonoha. Other than going for Sekai before breaking up with Kotonoha that is, but Sekai can be blamed for that as well.

I don't think he's using Sekai only for sex. He obviously likes her more than Kotonoha, and his thoughts in episode 5 with the Sekai replays means that he obviously feels for her and is greatly affected by her actions. If all he thought about was sex, then he would've been affected more by Kotonoha's actions this ep, however he was obviously extremely bored of her.

Though a lot of people seem to hate this guy, I think he's one of the best characters in the series (in terms of making this show one of the most watched shows this season). Flawed characters are way more interesting than perfect characters. Contraversy is always interesting.

Like I said in another topic, being stupid is not an excuse for him to get away with the things he does, but rather the reason he's hated. "He's in high school" isn't an excuse; thank god people in HS didn't act like that.

Spoiler for Episode 5:

Shana 2007-08-04 22:10

^ Agreee, Kotonoha don't deserve that.

I was playing at StepMania as always, I put the OP of the game, that was the first time I really get the song. "Plastic lies" (I take it as the lies are he like Kotonoha and he love Sekai), "Paper/Plastic Heart" don't remember what was, Paper or Plastic ( I take the quote as one of the girls heart will be hurted, and I'm scared it will be Kotonoha's heart.)

>< Do you get it?

Nenkitsune 2007-08-05 01:06

I blame both makoto and sekai, but that's because Makoto's an idiot, and Sekai let him be an idiot
And poor Kotonoha is totally oblivious to all of it T_T

Echoes 2007-08-05 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nenkitsune (Post 1078540)
I blame both makoto and sekai, but that's because Makoto's an idiot, and Sekai let him be an idiot
And poor Kotonoha is totally oblivious to all of it T_T

Pretty much a synopsis of the plot so far, yeah. Makoto doesn't care, Sekai's probably has a little moral ground on him, but she's obviously not blameless.

Aceywacey 2007-08-05 12:23

Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceywacey (Post 1079262)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Neki Ecko 2007-08-06 00:35

When I first heard about this series and read all the information about him, I thought that he was just like any other anime male lead in a series, you know trying to hook up with the hot chicks, and try to scored with them. But when I started to look at the Anime and understand his character, the more I think that is the reason why that everybody hates him(he is become a legend, in a very wrong way). Not only he is playing with the girl that he original like heart but every other girl that likes him or cares for him like his friend and Setsuna.
Spoiler for :

He is the Legend know as Motoko, there is nobody that can come close to his status as a worthless piece of trash that was ever created. I look at alot of Anime in my lifetime and I see some of bad Anime characters but he takes the cake for the worst.

Ice Climbers 2007-08-06 04:00

I agree, for a guy to be like Makoto is an ultimate failure in life. I mean, this guy goes for girls just for their physical attributes but not for "love" as he puts it himself. Even though Sekai did tempt him, I would say it's ultimately his own fault for choosing to "ride 2 boats at the same time", if you know what I mean :heh:

Oww my poor Kotonoha :sad:

Echoes 2007-08-06 05:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by AvatarST (Post 1079804)
Spoiler:

You speak the truth. Sekai's also to blame, but the responsibility ultimately rests with Makoto.

Aceywacey 2007-08-06 07:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Echoes (Post 1080356)
You speak the truth. Sekai's also to blame, but the responsibility ultimately rests with Makoto.

I guess I disagree. If you have full knowledge of what you are doing wrong, you are no less to blame than someone else who made the same mistake.

If my girlfriend cheated on me with my best friend, I would hate the best friend as much as the girlfriend. Especially when the best friend made the first move - that is betrayal of the first order.

Makoto could have chosen to ride 2 boats at the same time, but one of those boats knows it is cheating on the other boat, and knows how hurt the other boat will be when it finds out - but did it anyway.

Also in Makoto's book, he doesn't like the other boat anymore anyway. I think by episode 5 he has fallen out of infatuation ( I won't say love) with Kotonoha.

Owaranai Destiny 2007-08-06 07:33

I seem to understand where all that hatred for Makoto came from, somehow.

Judging from the latest episode, though, I would agree with the fact that both Makoto and Sekai are to be blamed for what has happened (if you consider it cheating on Kotonoha, which I do). It is indeed true Makoto can't control his own hormones and carnal impulses, but the fact of the matter is despite having a higher level of restraint, Sekai did initiate the thought of the possibility of attraction with Makoto with that kiss.

What's the man to do? Control himself, damn it.

What's the woman to do? Either just withhold you feelings and support him fully or go after him already, even before he hooked up with Kotonoha.

Well, I guess the conflict here is the charm of their relationships.

KholdStare 2007-08-06 07:40

Spoiler for Canvas 2 ~Niji-iro no Sketch~ for comparison purposes:

If you've read my posts in the general discussion thread then you would know that I hated episode two because of that date where Makoto just wants some action. Now I don't really mind, so maybe I'm getting used to his pervertedness. It's bound to happen.