AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Older Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   (L) Genshiken / Kujibiki Unbalance (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=21906)

kj1980 2004-10-11 01:28

Genshiken / Kujibiki Unbalance

This thread is dedicated to the new anime "Genshiken" and its inner-anime, "Kujibiki Unbalance."

I await how non-Japanese viewers had taken by watching this show.

stpehen 2004-10-11 01:33

I enjoy the manga, I think it's quite well done and I'm surprised to see it will be published in America.
But I am cautious of the anime version. I'm not confident that the feel will be captured well, but I think it's possible. And despite the fact that all the characters in Genshiken read and watch Kujibiki Unbalance, I have no interest in it at all.

Animizzle 2004-10-11 01:34

what's it about kj1980?

MrBrown 2004-10-11 01:34

It was neat. I've read the manga, so no surprises with the anime, really... I hope they do a bit more of Kujian in the anime than in the manga, though.

Timeless Enigma 2004-10-11 01:42

You've lost me already... "Inner anime" An anime within an anime?

I guess I'll have to watch it to understand. All I know for sure is that that the OP/ED for Kujibiki Unbalance is great.

Kensuke 2004-10-11 01:44

At least one pair of groups has announced plans for subbing this, but it just aired in Japan so I quess it takes a while before subbed version comes out.
Anyway, now I'm intrested about this.

dreamless 2004-10-11 01:53

this is definitely among my most anticipated anime series this season, I read the first volume of the manga and like it a lot.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Animizzle
what's it about?

It's about a group of anime fans/otakus, yup, an anime about anime fans, and not in an over-dramatic or caricaturized way, but with quite a realistic and matter-of-the-fact story-telling.

kj1980 2004-10-11 01:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by stpehen
I enjoy the manga, I think it's quite well done and I'm surprised to see it will be published in America.
But I am cautious of the anime version. I'm not confident that the feel will be captured well, but I think it's possible. And despite the fact that all the characters in Genshiken read and watch Kujibiki Unbalance, I have no interest in it at all.

Actually, the first episode was rather great in capturing the atmosphere. There was less momentous flow as in the manga - but I viewed that in a positive way since it gives non-Japanese the idea of how our "club-rush" week at universities look like.

The otaku-talk is more avidly portrayed. I was smirking with the thought of "yes, yes....that's exactly how I talk with my accomplices."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Animizzle
what's it about kj1980?

The manga is touted by otakus as "A great introductory guide to non-otakus on how we go through our lives."

I add a corollary to this: "A great introductory guide to non-Japanese anime fans on how Japanese otakus are like."

Basically, it's an anime based on a manga of the same title, in which it focuses on a certain otaku group on how they go through their otaku life. What's different from the previous animes of a similar theme is that this is very real and down to earth - to the point that I find myself smirking (and having an itch with a needle stabbed in my heart) with the portrayals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timeless Enigma
You've lost me already... "Inner anime" An anime within an anime?

I guess I'll have to watch it to understand. All I know for sure is that that the OP/ED for Kujibiki Unbalance is great.

If you've watched "Martian Successor Nadesico," you can relate the analogy as:

Nadesico - Gekigangar
Genshiken - Kujibiki Unbalance

"Genshiken" starts off with "Kujibiki Unbalance." A very high quality OP sequence for "Kujian" is shown. The OP was so good that I actually wanted to see more of this anime since the story itself is interesting (Tokino moe~... Kaicho- moe~...). Then, it suddenly cuts to the main character of "Genshiken" watching "Kujian" on his TV set.

kj1980 2004-10-11 02:26

I was actually surprised that there were some parts where the anime actually got permission to use copyrighted material that wasn't allowed in the manga, such as:

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/kj1980-haruka_tan.JPG
Suzumiya Haruka figurine

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/kj1980-sp_thanks.JPG
Special Thanks:

Volk's Zoukeimura
"a-brand maximum Suzumiya Haruka"

Kensuke 2004-10-11 03:04

Now I think I'm already hooked. Great pics!
It may just be a coincidence, but that bunny girl in the first picture looks like it is from Cosplay Complex OAV (another anime about otakus, like the title says, cosplaying is the main theme).

Baba 2004-10-11 05:44

I though that the Genshiken Manga was r interesting as it showed many aspect of japanese (mostly otaku) life that aren't too often depicted in regular manga. Beside, the charachters are pretty attaching and it's quite funny too :D.

So I guess I'll be trying this out when a fansub group picks it up (if it happens).

choia 2004-10-11 08:08

Interest in this anime/manga is criminally small, although I don't think you can fully enjoy this series unless you're at least somewhat familiar with the whole doujin-Comiket-aniken culture thing. I liked the manga enough to go ahead and import the first four volumes, even though I don't understand most of it. Now its licensed by Del-ray. I eagerly await their fruity translations -_-. I've no clue why they licensed Genshiken considering it seems to have almost no market appeal and it's filled with cultural references, but at least I get to read it translated. Hopefully with no Slipknot references.

The product placements are a nice touch, hope to see more of them. The Haruka kit blew me away :O

FlyByNite 2004-10-11 09:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by choia
Interest in this anime/manga is criminally small, although I don't think you can fully enjoy this series unless you're at least somewhat familiar with the whole doujin-Comiket-aniken culture thing. I liked the manga enough to go ahead and import the first four volumes, even though I don't understand most of it. Now its licensed by Del-ray. I eagerly await their fruity translations -_-. I've no clue why they licensed Genshiken considering it seems to have almost no market appeal and it's filled with cultural references, but at least I get to read it translated. Hopefully with no Slipknot references.

The product placements are a nice touch, hope to see more of them. The Haruka kit blew me away :O

In the manga they seemed to make up names because they couldn't use the actual name. The end of each chapter had a character and then said what their favorite anime/fighting game/manga were and they were usually take-offs of actual names like instead of Vampire Hunter D it might be Vampire Seeker E or something ;)

It would really be cool if the anime gets permission for more and you see real animes/manga stuff pop up like this.

Yamano667 2004-10-11 09:37

cross your fingers and hope the anime TV series are GOOD :D

Woland 2004-10-11 10:01

I'm looking for this serie too. I really liked the manga (Otaku Club in Italy but only the title it's been changed) after 3-4 chapter, especialy whe Kasukabe practicaly became the main character (or at least for me). Of course Kasukabe is my favourite character an I've lot of expectation for event like the puyo puyo match with Kosaka, or the cat's ear cosplay.

And for Kujian er... I really don't know what to think, for now. I'm just a little curious.

kj1980 2004-10-12 13:58

Quote:

Interest in this anime/manga is criminally small, although I don't think you can fully enjoy this series unless you're at least somewhat familiar with the whole doujin-Comiket-aniken culture thing

I tend to disagree. I recommended this manga to several people who’ve recently started having interest in otaku culture, and many perceived this manga was very inspirational.

If you already are familiar with such culture, you snicker with an itch stabbing at your heart.

If you aren’t familiar with these things, it is very interesting to understand how real Japanese otakus go about their lives. Perhaps it may give an insight Japanese otaku culture to non-Japanese anime fans as well.

Shigan 2004-10-12 14:08

I take it as there's no fansub yet. The manga was great thou.

Which group is gonna do it? ^^

stpehen 2004-10-12 14:54

I watched the first episode, and was pleasantly surprised. I'm not very impressed with the character design as compared to the manga, but the feel was well preserved. Satsuki Yukino was a good choice to cast as Saki, she does bad-tempered characters well.

Mr_Paper 2004-10-12 18:41

Quote:

Interest in this anime/manga is criminally small...

You might be suprised to know the manga is already licensed (it's actually been licensed for about a month) and the first volume is schedualed for release in April. ^^

I watched the first episode, loved the voices and the way the Genshiken's club room seemed buried in a darkened corner of the building only to be bright and roomy inside. Although I've been reading the manga, I still find it interesting how the main character is very reluctant to admit his interests in otaku culture. Even after being able to identify the most obscure ring tones and agreeing with their views on his favorite series, he's still reluctant to socially acknowledge his interests.

Also, I have to agree with kj1980, the Kujibiki Unbalance opening was so well down I really want to see more of that story animated.

Rotweiler 2004-10-12 19:59

Quote:

Although I've been reading the manga, I still find it interesting how the main character is very reluctant to admit his interests in otaku culture. Even after being able to identify the most obscure ring tones and agreeing with their views on his favorite series, he's still reluctant to socially acknowledge his interests.
I guess some people like to maintain appearance and I think the main character thinks that being associated with otaku is not a good thing. Considering the stigma associated with otaku in the past couple of years, I can't say I blame him. It's not until recently that it's 'okay' to like anime.