AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Code Geass (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Code Geass Light Novels (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=71290)

plau 2008-09-11 19:08

This thread is created for the discussion of the Code Geass light novels of both seasons. The novels add a lot of insight into each character's character and background. It also provides a better understanding of the Code Geass universe. This thread is mainly for additional information provided by the novels that do no appear in the series.

Acceptable post topics
  • Summaries of the light novels.
  • Any additional information about characters or the Code Geass universe.

NB: Please use spoiler tags and provide the source (i.e. which novel) of the information.

There has been some debate to whether the novels should be considered cannon or not. Feel free to discuss it hear.

Finally, please remain on-topic and do not use this thread to discuss other things if not related to novels. So, debating whether the capital of Britannia is Neo-Wales or the Pendragon is okay. Thanks.

Kang Seung Jae 2008-09-11 21:15

From my experience, all the novels so far are just rubbish except for possibily the one in Sneakers, which looks back at the past. It does go into extremes with character's personalities, but does provide a insightful look.

Var 2008-09-11 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae (Post 1890810)
From my experience, all the novels so far are just rubbish except for possibily the one in Sneakers, which looks back at the past. It does go into extremes with character's personalities, but does provide a insightful look.

Aren't those the sneakers that framed Marianne as a kind and loving mother?

eaglei3 2008-09-11 21:16

From my experience, I can't read any of the novels. :(

Any of them being or have been translated to English?

Kang Seung Jae 2008-09-11 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Var (Post 1890816)
Aren't those the sneakers that framed Marianne as a kind and loving mother?

Actually, it framed Marianne as a "slightly" murderous Knight who enjoys killing and doesn't really care about her children as long as they don't bother the plan. Even Bismarck was frightened at her cold-bloodedness.

eaglei3 2008-09-11 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae (Post 1890827)
Actually, it framed Marianne as a "slightly" murderous Knight who enjoys killing and doesn't really care about her children as long as they don't bother the plan. Even Bismarck was frightened at her cold-bloodedness.

o.O Wow. Where did all this kind loving mother talk come from then?

Koshimizu 2008-09-11 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaglei3 (Post 1890843)
o.O Wow. Where did all this kind loving mother talk come from then?

From novel Stage 3.

Var 2008-09-11 21:33

Quote:

Ahh, alright. My mistake then.

Sprite_Coke 2008-09-11 22:30

I 've nevr come across these novels. Some info plz anyone?

linkinstreet 2008-09-11 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke (Post 1890996)

Well for one it's sold in Japan. Span across multiple publications. Each publication are different.

Koshimizu 2008-09-12 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprite_Coke (Post 1890996)

Link :)

serenade_beta 2008-09-12 01:00

The novels weren't bad... but they tended to be horribly boring at times. I recall completely skipping a part of the second-to-last volume of the first season's novels...
Well, at least I won't need to buy R2's novels...

Monica... I hoped she would live a good life, but instead......

plau 2008-09-12 04:18

Can anyone provide summaries to the novels? Anything that's not from the show? Some background knowledge about previous emperor's would be good. I recall reading one about one that supported strong economic policies. Forgot the exact quote, but would someone care to elaborate?

yezhanquan 2008-09-12 04:31

Also, I think Kang and/or Koshimizu had mentioned that some parts of the novels contradict anime canon. Take the info from this area with a tablespoon of salt.

P.S. Why didn't they do quality control so that the novels only add to the series, and not throw up some contradictions?

plau 2008-09-12 04:57

I dunno, but I've seen some of the stuff from the novels, and they're quite interesting.

-KarumA- 2008-09-12 05:35

also the novel was clearly written by someone who supports suza/lulu, I don't mind that but even I got annoyed with them at some point *cough* pedo genbu *cough*

Li Jianliang 2008-09-12 06:25

Volumes 1 through 3 of the first series of novels (Stage 0 - Entrance, Stage 1 - Shadow, Stage 2 - Knight) are scheduled for US release in October 2008, December 2008, and March 2009 respectively, for $8.99 per volume. I'll pick up the first volume to see how good the translation is and maybe the rest of the volumes if it's good.

Orga777 2008-09-12 08:01

Quote:

Wow.... just wow....:uhoh:
Makes sense really. So these Sneaker Novels are more "canonical" than the others? I think I will have to find translations and read some of these.

Var 2008-09-12 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orga777 (Post 1891889)
Wow.... just wow....:uhoh:
Makes sense really. So these Sneaker Novels are more "canonical" than the others? I think I will have to find translations and read some of these.

I'm pretty sure they've had their own fair share of 'canonical' disagreances with the Anime.

Orga777 2008-09-12 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Var (Post 1891893)
I'm pretty sure they've had their own fair share of 'canonical' disagreances with the Anime.

Probably. Whcih is why I said more canonical than the others. Not that they are official canon.:heh: