AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   My HiME / My Otome (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Mai-Hime or Mai-Otome, Which do you like more? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=30688)

Shiokaze 2006-04-04 17:56

Mai-Hime or Mai-Otome, Which do you like more?

So, which Mai-series do you like overall?
-Mai Otome
-Mai Hime
-Or both equally

I said both equally because there are some things I like and didn't like about both of them. Like Mai Otome felt a bit rushed for one.

Tremalkinger 2006-04-04 18:19

I loved Mai Otome to death, but it wasn't a masterpeice like HiME was.

frad113 2006-04-04 18:21

Eh, IMO, Otome wasn't nearly as good as Hime was. Possibly minus the "nearly" part...

Onizuka-GTO 2006-04-04 20:11

i would of voted for Mai HiME as i agree it was fantastic, but the ending ruined EVERYTHING.

So i vote for Otome, because th story was great all the way until the end. no crappy u-turns here. >_>

Prodigious 2006-04-04 20:22

I watched Otome first, and thought it was pretty good. Then I watched Hime and was blown away.

Both shows had their high points, but I think Hime pulled off the comedy and dark aspects better as well as had a more enjoyable ending(I know everyone calls it a cop-out, but I liked it).

I think watching Otome first actually made me appreciate Hime more, because in Otome all the of the returning cast are pretty much friendly(except Midori and Nagi of course), so seeing them killing each other in Hime was very startling.

Rushuna 2006-04-04 20:38

Otome fixed 80% of what went wrong in the Hime disaster.

BigPrime 2006-04-04 20:39

From a critical point of view, HiME was the better show. Otome suffers from a bit of sequel lag here and there (that's almost inevitable, of course, few sequels out do their originators). It has a few more art flaws, the story isn't quite as well put together, etc. However, on the whole I enjoyed watching both of them about the same.

rooboy 2006-04-04 20:39

Hime, though I don't really have anything against Otome, it was very watchable.

But Hime took crazy angst to a level rarely approached, and managed the large enough cast (with plenty of symmetrical docking hints) better, thus raising it to heights of 'shipping that will probably never be realized by a show that's only twenty-ish episodes again. :)

shikamarufoo 2006-04-04 20:46

I just finished Otome and loved it! I felt that it really was rushed and I wanted it to be 26+ episodes. Seeing everyones robes for only an episode or two made me mad because I wanted to see more.

I think Hime is a bit better and made me cry a whole lot, where as Otome barely made me cry, though I loved the characters to death:D . Emotions were flying every which way in Hime and I absolutely loved it and there was alot of fighting scenes.

monster 2006-04-04 22:15

Hime was slightly better than Otome, the reset brought its enjoyability down to the level of otome. So they're equally enjoyable for me.

sally60 2006-04-04 22:24

I didn't like HiME's deathmatch system. It brought about carefully orchestraed sadism and really grossed me out. Highlander type deathmacthes don't mix well with cute anime girls to me. But there is a huge increase in such shows after HiME's success.....

Otome had a more realistic setting and a plot that has less holes then HiME. It also didn't have any deathmatches and didn't glorify sadism. It missed out on a resurrection scene but that's acceptable since there wasn't too much suffering like in HiME.

Sally's votes for Otome.

Priestess_Sally

Pakxenon 2006-04-04 23:37

HiME was awesome, but the ending just sucked.

Otome was also awesome, but the story was a little slow. The ending was awesome, though.

They equal out.

Fishbait 2006-04-04 23:37

HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I liked Hime better mainly because of the characters.

:)

KiNA 2006-04-04 23:43

Hime.. it started an obsession for a certain pairing :naughty:

In a way, I dont like the reset ending of Hime.. but then again, it reset Shizuru and Natsuki... so :hmm:

Conri 2006-04-04 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by sally60
I didn't like HiME's deathmatch system. It brought about carefully orchestraed sadism and really grossed me out.

Oh, but I loved that! :D Mai-HiME made me feel emotion, made me love the characters (a bit too much, says my wallet to my collecting nature) and then tore them apart, the music was some of the most beautiful and memorable anime music I've encountered, and the ending--that I'll never understand why so many people complain about--was just right for a show that was built up as a comedy until it hit the world's tallest loop-de-loop roller coaster.

Mai Otome was enjoyable in its own right; some awesome new character designs, it made me love certain characters even more, potential for dramatic action and plot on a grander scale... However, numerous little things got to me...the fanservice was a bit more blatant, the music wasn't as moving, the new main characters weren't as endearing, the pacing was a bit off. While I saw both endings as rushed upon first viewing, Otome didn't give me any emotion, wheras HiME gave me a warm fluffy feeling...I was very happy to see the result of Miyu's vortex.

EnseiSong 2006-04-05 00:31

Humm... Hime got my vote... I can't stand Otome. For the fact that, all Sunrise did is got a better ending in Otome, for the people said the ending for Hime sucked (imo, the ending is more worst for Otome, even though is not a "reset"), but other than that, this show (Otome) is lack of everything else Hime had.... (also I liked Hime's ending, I don't think is bad it was just rushed)
Otome lack of emotion for me, I wasn't sad or mad at things when I watch it, unlike Hime's theme. For Otome at the end where Arika and her mom finally "meet" was over done and couldn't feel true enough (although the only one made me felt something was the scene with Aoi and Mashiro). Then there is the whole Nina thing with the Sergay and Eris thing... those scenes can't get me mad or sad. It made me go wtf the most; wtf as in this show don't make much of sense and lack of creativity.
In the end, I realized that most people watch it for the old casts, because the new ones are not well presented (I.e. Tomoe, Eris, Nina, Arika, Mashiro, and Sergay). So it's kinda painful to watch it.

Hmm.... 2006-04-05 01:31

HiME got my vote.
I have to Agreed Otome is above average anime and is enjoyable.
but not awasome as HiME was. It's not much emotional I don't feel anything when I wacth it
yep except Aoi x Mashiro scene which is only emotional scene in entire series

for me HiME ending is doing good job after all cast past throught all angst to enjoy me :D
they deserve a prize and got they love one back :heh: although I have to agreed
it seem not reasonable and too cheesy but I enjoy it.
for Otome ending yea they don't reset yea they are more reasonable but I don't enjoy it (sen sen)
It seem like they didn't do anything to advance plot. who is the real princess ??
Miyu come and say "u r the real princess" "u r Rena's dauther" "u r just street girl"
the whole ending make me feel hey! u can't end like that!! that not solve anything!!!!

Aidan 2006-04-05 01:48

Argh I voted Otome, but it should have been Hime,
good morning me.

Arika Yumemiya 2006-04-05 03:09

I vote for Otome!!!
Otome rocks totally!!!!!!

Kleo Scanti 2006-04-05 04:40

My vote goes to both.

HiME has better plot and is more emotional while Otome is more enjoyable to watch and made with better sense of humour.