AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Sports & Entertainment (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153)
-   -   Ghostrider II (Feb 2012) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=106420)

killer3000ad 2011-08-21 08:58

Ghostrider II (Feb 2012)

Vexx 2011-08-21 13:19

Interesting.. .I thought the first one had bombed...

Master_Yoma 2011-08-21 21:36

Why did they make anther on the first one sucked so bad maybe it will go straight to dvd only if it can be so lucky

Samari 2011-08-21 22:13

Probably because Sony didn't want to give up the rights which were probably about to expire. It's another comic movie that they probably thought could crank out some last remaining cash.

Tetra Vaal 2011-08-21 22:19

Do people on this board ever research films before commenting on them? Why make a sequel to a shitty first film? Oh, I don't know... maybe because there are competent directors helming this one (Neveldine and Taylor), the budget is significantly lower-- so there's a possibility for an R rating (but I'm not counting on it), and there's a possibility that this could atone for the shortcomings of the first film (which I am counting on). The only thing this flick needs now is Mike Patton to do the OST.

Samari 2011-08-21 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal (Post 3737707)
Do people on this board ever research films before commenting on them? Why make a sequel to a shitty first film? Oh, I don't know... maybe because there are competent directors helming this one (Neveldine and Taylor), the budget is significantly lower-- so there's a possibility for an R rating (but I'm not counting on it), and there's a possibility that this could atone for the shortcomings of the first film (which I am counting on). The only thing this flick needs now is Mike Patton to do the OST.

I think it's probably still going to be lackluster at the box office.

Tetra Vaal 2011-08-21 22:28

I'm not worried about the box office. I'll put quality material over box office numbers any day of the week. The funny thing is, if it weren't for Neveldine and Taylor, I wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in this film. I hate Nicolas Cage with every fiber of my being, but I'm not going to let that clown spoil the fun that the directors bring to the table. Plus, Idris Elba is a solid up and coming actor, so he also cancels out Cage's douchebaggery.

james0246 2011-08-22 00:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal (Post 3737707)

Maybe we know a different Neveldine and Taylor, but I remember them as being involved in the awful Gamer and the extremely awful Jonah Hex adaptation? Not to mention the weak Crank/Crank 2? So, why should I be excited that directors with bad credentials are now involved in a sequel to one of the worst films of the past decade? Plus, have you even seen the writers involved? AT least one of them you hate with a deep dark passion (at least considering your many post in a certain thread on this forum)...

It certainly doesn't help that Christopher Lambert is involved with the film...Ciaran Hinds as the Devil could be fun though...

(That being said, since when is Elba an "up and coming actor"?)

Tetra Vaal 2011-08-22 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 3737800)
Maybe we know a different Neveldine and Taylor, but I remember them as being involved in the awful Gamer and the extremely awful Jonah Hex adaptation? Not to mention the weak Crank/Crank 2? So, why should I be excited that directors with bad credentials are now involved in a sequel to one of the worst films of the past decade? Plus, have you even seen the writers involved? AT least one of them you hate with a deep dark passion (at least considering your many post in a certain thread on this forum)...

It certainly doesn't help that Christopher Lambert is involved with the film...Ciaran Hinds as the Devil could be fun though...

(That being said, since when is Elba an "up and coming actor"?)

LOL! You seriously know nothing of movies. This is what I mean... this is why I can safely so no one on here could ever beat me in a film debate, ever. I want you to realize that. I understand you're a mod and all, but just from a debate perspective, you're not on my level. Do homework, man. For starters, Neveldine & Taylor's script for 'Jonah Hex' was stripped to the point that the WGA nearly didn't credit them. I forget the percentage off the top of my head, but I believe a script has to contain less than 30% of the original source material in order for the rewrites to be credited to whoever changed their script (which they themselves will tell you was much more edgier). Plus, they didn't choose the director or the atrocious Megan Fox-- virtually anything they had to do with that film is just name recognition alone.

And as for 'Crank' and 'Crank 2'-- I'll take those movies over the dreck that minds like Tarantino put out. At least Neveldine and Taylor know their stuff. At least they don't bite from superior directors from other cultures, lace their films with pop soundtracks, and then pan focus to some broad's feet as if it has anything to do with the plot. These guys do what the Michael Bays, McGs, Somners, Abrams, etc, etc. all failed to do-- which is deliver an unapologetic, uncompromising hardcore action films with so much visual flair you need a fucking lens to shield it all. Their scripts may not be anything riveting or score them a Golden Globe nomination, but at least they deliver for the genre fun that they aim for. That says a hell of a lot more for them than it does these other shitty mainstream directors who are nothing more but studio twats.

Christopher Lambert will serve his role well for this. If anyone can get something "genre" worthy from him, it's Neveldine and Taylor.

Seriously, go back to 'The Dark Knight' thread or something. Or just try to type up paragraphs worth of wannabe articulation in this fantasy world where you think you can hang with me in a discussion like this. :heh:

Oh, and people will know Elba's name in due time. Although, unlike the Christian Bales, Sam Worthingtons, Chris Pines, etc, etc. this guy will actually live up to his potential.

james0246 2011-08-22 08:39

Who knew one little post could annoy you so much? :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal (Post 3737828)
Do homework, man. For starters, Neveldine & Taylor's script for 'Jonah Hex' was stripped to the point that the WGA nearly didn't credit them. I forget the percentage off the top of my head, but I believe a script has to contain less than 30% of the original source material in order for the rewrites to be credited to whoever changed their script (which they themselves will tell you was much more edgier). Plus, they didn't choose the director or the atrocious Megan Fox-- virtually anything they had to do with that film is just name recognition alone.

I did not know they only worked on "30% of the original...material "...admittedly, I still do not know this is fact (for all I know, you took that info from Wikipedia or some rumour mill...) Honestly, I really do not care either (I don't like most of the films they've directed/worked on, so why should I care if they also dislike a film their name is attached to?)). I do know that Neveldine and Taylor still have their names attached to the project, so either they simply did not care, they thought the film was okay, or they are hacks in it for the money (all options are pretty bad).

That being said, please tone down the personal attacks. Your condescending attitude aside (it’s your prerogative to think you are the best at whatever you wish to be the best at), this forum does not allow personal attacks on other members. So please, be a little more considerate in the future.

Quote:

That says a hell of a lot more for them than it does these other shitty mainstream directors who are nothing more but studio twats.

:confused: Your personal vendetta against Hollywood aside, simply because you make an "uncompromising" genre film doesn't mean you've made a good film. To put it into perspective, you've been toting your Drive avatar/sig for a few weeks now, and the film is undoubtedly a genre/exploitation film, but the actual film looks like it blows past it's exploitative conventions, becoming something unique and interesting. That is a genre film I want to see, not the type of drek you are trying to push as originality (or at least good) due to your strange obsession with being "uncompromising".

Quote:

Seriously, go back to 'The Dark Knight' thread or something.

Obviously I am here because I miss talking to you :).

That being said, you've managed to skip the part I was alluding to in my previous posts. Goyer, the story writer for this film, is also involved in Nolan's Batman films...honestly, just thinking of Goyer's previous films, I do not know if you would have liked any of them (Maybe Dark City? Did you like Blade? Maybe one of his early horror film?). (P.S., the other writers are even worse :).)

If I don't really like the writers (all of which worked on the atrocious FlashForward), and I think the directors are simply average (Crank 2 is the only film of theirs I like, and that is mainly due to Stratham's hilariously over-the-top performance (not to mention several of the other funny performances)), why would I have any faith in the film?

Quote:

Oh, and people will know Elba's name in due time. Although, unlike the Christian Bales, Sam Worthingtons, Chris Pines, etc, etc. this guy will actually live up to his potential.

Yeah, I know. In fact, I've known him for over a decade. Elba is a very good actor with enormous pressence that has had quite a few amazing performeancs in his career. He's not an "up and coming" actor simply because he has already risen.

Samari 2011-08-22 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal (Post 3737716)
I'm not worried about the box office. I'll put quality material over box office numbers any day of the week. The funny thing is, if it weren't for Neveldine and Taylor, I wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in this film. I hate Nicolas Cage with every fiber of my being, but I'm not going to let that clown spoil the fun that the directors bring to the table. Plus, Idris Elba is a solid up and coming actor, so he also cancels out Cage's douchebaggery.

We'll see. I think this might be case of Sony just trying to crank out some more dough because they don't want the right to revert back to Marvel Studios. They were supposed to be in production for a sequel by November 2010, and from what I heard they were really running on a thin-line and time constraints to meet that deadline. Funny how these shelved projects come to life once a studio realizes they'll be losing the rights to make money from the said project if they don't get off their asses and actually make the movie. They're making a sequel to an already terrible movie in which it seems the movie studio just wants to make a quick buck. Seems like it's doomed to fail regardless of who they get to direct. There are very few examples in this scenario where it actually works. Not that you aren't allowed to like movies that most people believe are terrible though.

Tetra Vaal 2011-08-22 11:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 3738137)
I did not know they only worked on "30% of the original...material "...admittedly, I still do not know this is fact (for all I know, you took that info from Wikipedia or some rumour mill...) Honestly, I really do not care either (I don't like most of the films they've directed/worked on, so why should I care if they also dislike a film their name is attached to?)). I do know that Neveldine and Taylor still have their names attached to the project, so either they simply did not care, they thought the film was okay, or they are hacks in it for the money (all options are pretty bad).

That being said, please tone down the personal attacks. Your condescending attitude aside (it’s your prerogative to think you are the best at whatever you wish to be the best at), this forum does not allow personal attacks on other members. So please, be a little more considerate in the future.

:confused: Your personal vendetta against Hollywood aside, simply because you make an "uncompromising" genre film doesn't mean you've made a good film. To put it into perspective, you've been toting your Drive avatar/sig for a few weeks now, and the film is undoubtedly a genre/exploitation film, but the actual film looks like it blows past it's exploitative conventions, becoming something unique and interesting. That is a genre film I want to see, not the type of drek you are trying to push as originality (or at least good) due to your strange obsession with being "uncompromising".

Obviously I am here because I miss talking to you :).

That being said, you've managed to skip the part I was alluding to in my previous posts. Goyer, the story writer for this film, is also involved in Nolan's Batman films...honestly, just thinking of Goyer's previous films, I do not know if you would have liked any of them (Maybe Dark City? Did you like Blade? Maybe one of his early horror film?). (P.S., the other writers are even worse :).)

If I don't really like the writers (all of which worked on the atrocious FlashForward), and I think the directors are simply average (Crank 2 is the only film of theirs I like, and that is mainly due to Stratham's hilariously over-the-top performance (not to mention several of the other funny performances)), why would I have any faith in the film?

Yeah, I know. In fact, I've known him for over a decade. Elba is a very good actor with enormous pressence that has had quite a few amazing performeancs in his career. He's not an "up and coming" actor simply because he has already risen.

The 30% number is just off the top of my head. Like I said, I don't exactly how the WGA works, but I do know they were very close to no longer being credited. One other thing to factor in is, even the parts that weren't rewritten were just shot differently on set. Both Neveldine and Taylor have been adamant in stating that they had virtually nothing to do with what was thrown on screen (they even made these comments before the film's release, so it's not like they did it just to cover their asses once the film bombed critically and financially). Also, I don't make up rumors or statements-- I'm above that. I even gave you a head's up that my percentage number was just a guesstimate, but what is factual is that they had pretty much nothing to do with the released version of 'Jonah Hex.'

What personal attacks? :p I don't have anything against anyone on this board on a personal level. I just hate it when people don't do research before speaking on a film they obviously know nothing about. That's pretty much the gist of it.

Right. But even if the said genre film fails, at least it fails on its own merits. That says a lot for a film maker in this day and age, especially one coming out of Hollywood, believe me. And I'm not proclaiming Neveldine and Taylor as the second coming. They have their faults and they certainly won't be making their way into my "top 10 favorite directors of all time" list-- but they're not awful. For the type of films they make, they provide a surprising amount of effective humor, adequate action sequences, and they get charismatic performances out of their actors. I don't know if I'd call the 'Crank' series a form of exploitation films, though. Sure they're grungy, offensive, and feature a lot of foul play, but I think it's done for more than just the sake of pushing a boundary or two.

And speaking of 'Drive'-- I'm calling it right now that it will be the best film of the year (well, I actually called this in the original thread I made). But when I turn out to be right, just remember where you read it first. ;-) Also, the soundtrack for this movie is going to be so borderline incredible, that I can only see it serving as a catalyst to the best scenes of this movie. Oh, and my strange obsession for uncompromising films is grounded by all the formulaic and repetitive material that's being churned out around this time. Films like 'Drive'-- hell, even films like 'Crank' can at least say they deviate from the norm and are made with some sort of creative integrity in mind. You can't say that about the summer blockbuster season or the upcoming "Oscar season" where the Coens annually release their films just to be pushed by whatever major studio head was in charge. It gets old, quick. :rolleyes:

I may strongly dislike Goyer, but serviceable directors can usually elevate weak material. Just look at 'Blade II'-- while nothing fancy or remarkable, I don't hate it entirely. And that's thanks in large part due to the stylish direction. The same could happen here, if just being hypothetical.

If you don't want to have any faith in this movie, fine. I'm not here to force you to like anything. But at least do a little research on the film makers at hand before trying to cite these guys as being responsible for shit like 'Jonah Hex.'

Elba is still an up and coming actor. Just because he's put out solid performances before, that doesn't make him established-- at least not to the extent that he should be. Just look at Jeremy Renner-- no one was talking about him til' 'The Hurt Locker', but he should have been recognized many years ago when taking on the roles of 'Dahmer' and 'Twelve and Holding.' And Elba certainly hasn't reached Renner's status, so he's still far from being established at the highest level.

james0246 2011-08-22 12:39

^I think we are dealing with different definitions of "exploitation". It's probably a generational thing. During the time I grew up (and studied in college and grad school), exploitation was simply used to define whether a film relied heavily on (and over-sensationalized) particular genre tropes (the so called splatter features, etc), particular themes or set-ups (Mondo films, Pink films, etc), even particular actors/actresses/directors (most Kurt Russell films, etc). There is, of course, nothing wrong with such sensationalist film/filmmaking, I just wanted to calify my point. (I don’t think Drive will fall into this category of filmmaking, but Ghost Rider does).

Tetra Vaal 2011-08-22 14:21

'Ghost Rider' certainly isn't aiming to be anything more than a genre film and I can appreciate that. But just for clarification, I'm not saying definitively that this movie will be good. I'm just saying it's borderline idiotic for anyone to generalize this film based off their thoughts from the first one, considering this has a better staff on hand.

Samari 2011-08-22 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal (Post 3738294)

And speaking of 'Drive'-- I'm calling it right now that it will be the best film of the year
(well, I actually called this in the original thread I made). But when I turn out to be right, just remember where you read it first. ;-) Also, the soundtrack for this movie is going to be so borderline incredible, that I can only see it serving as a catalyst to the best scenes of this movie. Oh, and my strange obsession for uncompromising films is grounded by all the formulaic and repetitive material that's being churned out around this time. Films like 'Drive'-- hell, even films like 'Crank' can at least say they deviate from the norm and are made with some sort of creative integrity in mind. You can't say that about the summer blockbuster season or the upcoming "Oscar season" where the Coens annually release their films just to be pushed by whatever major studio head was in charge. It gets old, quick. :rolleyes:

And if this doesn't happen you aren't going to list a long paragraph of excuses are you and pull a cop out? And please, in your response don't tell me why you think it's going to be the best movie of the year and there is no way it can possibly fail. You've already done that. Just answer the question. A simple yes or no would even do.

Tetra Vaal 2011-08-22 14:41

It will happen, so I'm not really worried about being wrong. Intuition has never failed me.

Samari 2011-08-22 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal (Post 3738496)
It will happen, so I'm not really worried about being wrong. Intuition has never failed me.

Well what will be your criteria? Because it's not winning in revenue.

Tetra Vaal 2011-08-22 14:53

It will be determined by the gold standard that I set for films-- which is a higher and more respectable standard than most.

Samari 2011-08-22 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal (Post 3738512)
It will be determined by the gold standard that I set for films-- which is a higher and more respectable standard than most.

I think you've answered my first question then.

This statement alone as your insurance policy for if Drive isn't considered the best movie is basically a cop-out. Especially since you're already crowning the movie before it's released. Yeah no bias there.

Tetra Vaal 2011-08-22 16:59

That's not true. If a movie sucks, then a movie sucks-- this goes for films that I even look forward to seeing. But it's like I said, it's intuition... my intuition is never wrong.