AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Spice and Wolf (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Spice and Wolf II - Episode 0 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=81120)

monir 2009-04-30 11:19

Spice and Wolf II - Episode 0 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Spice and Wolf II, Episode 0 (OVA).

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

monir 2009-04-30 11:43

Saw the episode. It delved mostly with Horo. Horo was extremely cute. Two tease screenshots to have the fan of this show salivate uncontrollably... :heh:

Horo's playfulness mixed with her shrewdness what attracted me to this series. Lawrence's general awareness of his surrounding (and the lack of it in the matters of Horo) also helped. Those aspect of the show was highlighted in this episode. I enjoyed it very much. :)

Izimiger 2009-04-30 14:09

Does anyone know where in the stoy this takes place? I watched the raw (didnt understand obviously) but i cant place it. Is it following the Light Novels? I remember seeing somewhere that it has something to do with "Wolf and Amber Melancholy" chapter of Vol 7. of the Light Novels. Or is this just a Teaser anime addon thing...? Ive read up to where Baka-Tsuki Translated up to and some of the Images dont match up.

Bonta Kun 2009-04-30 16:04

hehe a rather cute OVA I thought, Horo just being a spoiled little princess:D
especially near the end, when she lights up with lawrence coming into the room but then finds Nora there, shes all down again:heh:

RayzorFang 2009-04-30 16:05

Hmm? I seem to be the first in rating it, anyway i gave it a 9
The fact that they changed some bits from the original novel and because in my opinion they made Horo more cute than needed that changed her character from season 1 stopped me from giving it a 10.
I watched the raw but having listened to the radio drama and reading the translation of vol 7 from BT i understood 90%. It felt so good watching this, i've forgotten how much i enjoy S&W. The animation was superb and the nose thing that i had been fussing over didn't really feel that big when i watched it. I can tell the VA's are getting back into their personalities and they did a great job.
I hope this episode does not reflect the seriousness of the next season because even though i enjoyed the various additions such as the Lawrence pointing, Horo's head bump, "heavy" blankets; i much prefer the actual story to be more serious especially for the next two volumes of the series.
All in all welcome back Okami to Koushinryou!!!

Masanori Ota 2009-05-01 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Izimiger (Post 2370561)
Does anyone know where in the stoy this takes place? I watched the raw (didnt understand obviously) but i cant place it. Is it following the Light Novels? I remember seeing somewhere that it has something to do with "Wolf and Amber Melancholy" chapter of Vol 7. of the Light Novels. Or is this just a Teaser anime addon thing...? Ive read up to where Baka-Tsuki Translated up to and some of the Images dont match up.

It's placed close to the end of Season 1, around the time Horo and Lawrence and Nora are all still in the same town and have a bit of cash to throw around.

Xacual 2009-05-02 05:57

Ahh Horo was so cute and lovable as always. I can't wait for July to come around.

Ashlotte 2009-05-02 10:57

Well that was an easy reminder of why I thought during S1 that Horo was one of the most endearing female characters I'd seen in anime or any other form of media for that matter...Just lovely.

Hoping this is a good sign of what S2 may bring. ;)

MeoTwister5 2009-05-02 11:42

Is the BSS subs entitled Spice and Wolf II 00 that's been floating around part of the pre-season 2 OVA? Some people claim it's the first episode of of season 2 but I don't want to download it yet until I confirm what it is...

Bonta Kun 2009-05-02 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 (Post 2374322)
Is the BSS subs entitled Spice and Wolf II 00 that's been floating around part of the pre-season 2 OVA? Some people claim it's the first episode of of season 2 but I don't want to download it yet until I confirm what it is...

yea that would be the OVA, I just watched it. Don't know if its just me or not but didn't look all that good in quality but meh Horo's uber cutensess makes up for it:p

jealous Horo = win!!!

Jay911 2009-05-02 14:38

Yeah, the BSS release is the "episode 0" OVA. Many LOL moments in this for me, but animation/art changes drop it to an 8 IMO.

Have to see if it "grows on me" in the new season.

itisjustme 2009-05-02 15:29

The opening sequence kinda annoyed me, didn't like the new Horo design compared to first season, (understandably) low production values, seemed to be milking Horo's cuteness to the last drop. Hrm.

Some funny moments though, and the first scene reminds me of threesomes where you always get someone who feels left out. :p

7/10

Malkuth 2009-05-02 17:33

9/10

It certainly invoked the atmosphere I came to love from the first season, but this time Horo has just set a new standard in moe :heh:

Nice lead-in to the new season.

Solafighter 2009-05-02 17:49

Cute and funny episode. :cool:

Looking forward to the second season of Spice and Wolf. :)

Littm 2009-05-02 19:16

Rather good episode. I'll give it 8 out of 10. They changed studio, but old team worked really well and this time. It has the same atmosphere and pace like the previous season. Nothing changed and this is really good.

Nothing unusual or specific in this episode, but it was interesting. Just another small piece from daily life of our heroes.

kyouray 2009-05-02 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by itisjustme (Post 2374679)
The opening sequence kinda annoyed me

Yeah the music was a pain for my ears.
However this OVA was fun :D

wandering-dreamer 2009-05-02 21:16

I have a question, in the opening sequence, are the shots with all the words the credits? At first I thought it was saying something important and was worried that I was watching a RAW but now I'm not so sure...
Anyway, I didn't like the OVA as much as I liked the last season. The characters just felt, awkward. Although Horo was very cute, I need to find a RAW version later so I can get screenshots without the mountains of text.

Ryuou 2009-05-02 21:21

The OVA was fun and funny, but I also hope it's not a precursor to the tone that season 2 will take. I doubt it will be though.

So can we take this OVA as main story development? Even the dream sequences? (Since they're essentially Horo's thoughts.) I'm just wondering if we can take what's developed/revealed as set in stone, and something that won't be turned back.

@ wandering-dreamer - Yeah those are credits. So don't worry.

Xacual 2009-05-02 21:23

This OVA is based on one of the side stories in volume 7, Wolf and Amber Melancholy I think it is. So yeah this is canon main story development.

Malkuth 2009-05-02 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyouray (Post 2375063)
Yeah the music was a pain for my ears.

Lad ... I was also surprised by the musical score , but it fits perfectly the medieval/renaissance era ;)

Ryuou 2009-05-02 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xacual (Post 2375103)
This OVA is based on one of the side stories in volume 7, Wolf and Amber Melancholy I think it is. So yeah this is canon main story development.

Okay. Then I guess we may see their relationship develop quicker than I thought it would. Which I have no problem with. :)

Kaoru Chujo 2009-05-02 22:03

Ep1 didn't overwhelm me. But Horo did. I'm just not into triangles, I guess. I want everything to go well for the wise wolf.

Koshimizu Ami outstanding as always. Kugimiya Rie was a deserving winner of last year's top seiyuu award. But I voted for Amisuke, and I would again. Her work as Horo is like a symphony.

I also liked Fukuyama Jun and Nakahara Mai here.

I don't mind the simplification of the drawing. The characters still work very well for me.

I actually liked the music. Just close enough to real mediaeval music.

necrosis6 2009-05-02 22:36

Did anyone else feel that Horo was acting a bit OOC this episode? I liked Horo in the first season when she was being sarcastic/teasing and not moe. Hopefully it won't last into the new season. That said I loved the point where Lawrence brought Nora in the room. Truely amusing

Ryuou 2009-05-02 22:50

Yes. Quite a few of us it seems.

Lightly_Toasted 2009-05-02 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by necrosis6 (Post 2375184)
Did anyone else feel that Horo was acting a bit OOC this episode? I liked Horo in the first season when she was being sarcastic/teasing and not moe. Hopefully it won't last into the new season. That said I loved the point where Lawrence brought Nora in the room. Truly amusing

Tha'ts kind of stuff you like will start happening when they get to the actual season. Though I have only read vol 3 and 4 as much as the English is translated, you have to remember that this was part of Vol 7. So though it may be something that happened earlier in their journey, that was shown in a latter part of their journey where there relation may have taken another turn, where this affair plays more significance.

Freeter 2009-05-03 03:03

The "love triangle" was one of the best things about the series, and I'm glad it was the main focus here. Jealous Horo was a riot to watch, and Lawrence being completely oblivious to the situation made it even more hilarious :heh:

Looking forward to season 2 and more Horo x Lawrence moments.

Sorrow-K 2009-05-03 06:00

Good to see this show has lost none of its wit and whimsy from the first season. The interactions and relationship between Horo and Lawrence really make for the crux of this series and episodes like this show why. Although, as others have mentioned, it's probably a safe bet that the tone of the season proper will be much darker than it was in this ep, which was basically more of a precursor than anything.

TrueKnight 2009-05-03 07:05

The music sucks and it hurt my ears but hilarious ova nevertheless. Lawrence is a pimp not only he's good in making money but also unconsciously making the chicks have hots for him. The best part for me is definitely Horo's jealousy and Lawrence's level of thickheaded denseness about Nola, truly legendary and lol and wtf face Horo was making 'I can't believe this guy'.

Anh_Minh 2009-05-03 08:00

I liked the music. Sounded medievalish.

MeoTwister5 2009-05-03 08:30

It may have been a year since then, but few things melt my ice-cold heart more than watching Horo sulk.:p

That said, I still do hope this isn't a permanent and radical change in Horo's personality. Most OVA's of a series tend to deviate from the usual tone of the series (Higurashi anyone?), but Horo's semi-snarky wit in the face of... well pretty much everything was one of the selling points of the series for me.

As for the episode itself, the first 10 or so minutes of the OVA felt like upper-crust generic fare. The last 12 minutes however reminded me why I used to have a little Horo shrine in my room in my old house. Which reminds me that I need to rebuild that damn shrine when I move back in a few months.

Darknemo2000 2009-05-03 10:28

Well its up to their own tastes in musics... Personally I didn't like the music at all. Thought it was horrible.

Other than that - a good ova but Horo is bit too moe for my taste. Hope that her character returns back to normal soon.

Vexx 2009-05-03 12:27

Its music done with medieval instruments and written to recall various medieval genre, particularly that influenced by the spice trade routes. Relevant to the story and the sort of music the characters would hear. What did ya'll want? Death Metal? Rap? o.O

GuidoHunter_Toki 2009-05-03 12:34

The music makes you get a feel for the enviornment and times the story takes place in. Anything else in my opinion would sound awkward and unfitting.

As for people who think Horo's acting strange, I don't see it. Whenever she broke down in the last season certain emotions and traits you wouldn't expect or regularly see from her were fleshed out. She stumbles and falters when her own emotions get the better of her. I find that no different than what happened in this OVA. She is obviously concerned and her actions reflected that.

velvet 2009-05-03 13:24

I don't understand the conversation between Nola and Horo near the end. Anyone can enlighten me? -_-'

And I may forget something, but why Nola isn't reacting at all to Horo's ears?

justinstrife 2009-05-03 13:33

I'm not a fan of the music, but if it fits the environment of the story, I can tolerate it.

Loved the OVA. Horo is absolute love for me.

Bonta Kun 2009-05-03 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by velvet (Post 2376120)
I don't understand the conversation between Nola and Horo near the end. Anyone can enlighten me? -_-'

Nora has seen Horo's true form which I'll remind you is a great big honky wolf, I doubt the ears are gonna phase her much....if not anything at all anymore:p

Lightly_Toasted 2009-05-03 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by velvet (Post 2376120)

This Exert from the light novel might clear things up for you, its the same part as in the OVA.
Spoiler for Spice and Wolf Vol 7 Part 3, (SaW II OVA):

Anh_Minh 2009-05-03 18:06

Even with that, I'm not sure what they mean.

Except maybe that Lawrence would be tasty if roasted.

kyouray 2009-05-03 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malkuth (Post 2375106)
Lad ... I was also surprised by the musical score , but it fits perfectly the medieval/renaissance era ;)

I agree but it may be too much repetitive for me ;) However it doesn't mean that I dislike medieval/renaissance themes.

RayzorFang 2009-05-03 23:51

When i first listened to the opening from the sound track i immediately skipped it cause it was horrible but since listening to it in the OVA it kinda tied into my feelings of happiness of the return of the series and also it's perfect medieval music very fitting for a bar.

@Anh Minh and Velvet: Lawrence is the sheep, Norah is a shephard, Horo asks advice on how to herd the "sheep" and learns Norah is a true shephard, Horo feels she loses in her hunt for the "sheep" to the shephard. Something along those lines.

It seems Norah had a growth spurt in the year we've been waiting for the series to return, she is now half a head taller than Horo.

I think the animation quality has improved from last season and i welcome that change and the storyboard for this ova i thought was unique like for the explanations of the curing of Horo's fever.

The slight OOC for Horo wasn't bad for a change in pace but i doubt it will continue into the actual second season, so everybody rejoice for the return of this great anime!!!... in two months