AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   One Piece (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   One Piece - Chapter 718 [manga] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=121414)

marvelB 2013-08-16 02:52

One Piece - Chapter 718 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aohige (Post 4795254)
Nine pages of the chapter from the Chinese official release was leaked.
I can't read Chinese, but from what I can gather:

Coverstory: Scotch continues holds up the old woman, but a marine battleship arrives.

Zoro and Franky are united at the Flower Garden, where a whole bunch of dwarfs are kept against their will.
They seem to know about the Straw Hats (and if my reading of Chinese is correct, considers them heroes), and when Zoro and Franky introduces them as one, they looked shocked and in awe.
Zoro watches Luffy & Chinjao's fight on the TV, cheering on. I think he may be talking about how he wished he hadn't lost his sword, he looks frustrated that he's not there fighting lol

Meanwhile, on Usopp/Robin side, as the dwarven army deploys, they enlist help of two Bug Bug fruit user dwarfs.
One is a bee woman, and other, a Rhino Beetle man. The chapter likely ends with the dwarves charging out.

EDIT: The Beetle man is likely Kabu, since Rhino Beetles are called "Kabuto mushi" in Japanese.
Besides, he looks like him lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4795814)
Just saw the full Chinese version, and I have a few things to add of my own:

-The Tontatta tribe has a truly impressive military force. Not only do they have bug zoans, but they've also got regular bugs and even foxes for transport!

-Apparently, Gancho (the king dwarf) tells Robin that the war between them and the Donquixote family has a much deeper history that goes beyond Doflamingo's reign as king. In fact, it seems their feud has lasted for over 900 years......

-It looks like Jora explains her DF ability to Nami's group during their fight. Sadly, I can't give any detailed explanation due to my miniscule understanding of Chinese, but it looks like she can transform creatures/objects into modern art by covering them in smoke. She then transforms Nami's Clima Tact into some bizarre.... thing (it looks like a plant with a mouth and melted clock, lol :p). Brooke's sword was affected by her power as well, and Chopper seems to have gotten the worst of it (I can't even BEGIN to describe what he looks like! XD). BTW, it also looks like Jora confirms that she is NOT the person with the toy DF power. It also seems that during the battle, Law attempts to contact Chopper via Denden mushi.....

-Back at Green Bit, a beaten, exhausted Law is still holding off Doflamingo (Fujitora, oddly enough, is nowhere to be seen). Dofla tells Law that Luffy has fallen for his trap, and now he won't be able to escape the colosseum.....

-Also, it might just be me, but it definitely looked like Chinjao wasn't out of the fight yet when Luffy punched him. It looked like he covered his stomach with CoA when the hit connected.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by aohige (Post 4795451)
Updates:

At the end of the chapter, Barto and Caven are watching the block C fights, and Burgess approaches them!
He asks them who the little kid in the ring fighting is, and before they say anything, Luffy unleashes a move on Chinjao.... a CoA haki hardended Gomu Gomu rifle!
Chinjao's eyes turn white, coughs blood, chapter ends.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertaker (Post 4797069)
Anyway I also saw the spoiler here are what I can add:

=> It's pretty safe to say that the new zoan will be called mushi-mushi no mi, since the Chinese is using 虫 as translation and that word can be carried directly to kanji.

=> The two Zoan are mode: wasp and as Aoihige mentioned mode:kabuto (or rhinoceros beetle)

=> The foxes that Robin and Ussop riding on is designed to carry 20 dwarfs

=> The toy solider is been referred as the leader of underground resistance force under the flower garden (so these should be the ally force Ussop was being told but not the ones who they are rescuing)

=> During the report to toy soldier, they mention something about the location of "white sugar" and mentioned that Tontatta Tribe reported that their "legendary hero" appeared and is heading this way to join them. They then mention the names of SH which is when Franky and Zoro acknowledges their identity.

=> Conversation between Jora and Nami pretty much what MarvelB said. Nami complains that her clima-tact has turned into toy to which Jora said that the one with Toy power is another member form the family and she is the person who ate Art-art fruit that can turn anything into art. As result, Chopper can't used his hoofs and horns and Brook can't use his sword. Jora is also pissed because apparently the Trio did manage to take out her underlings and ship. Afterward there is a den-den mushi call that was cut off (seem to have missing pages in middle, but most likely form Law)

Everything else is as Aohige and MarvelB stated with one tiny detail.

The CoA filled Gomu-Gomu no Rifle has the character 鷹 in it, which means either hawk or eagle so it mostly carry the trend of having animal-theme weapon for haki-infused technique. BTW, I think Luffy's cover would soon be blown, because the commentators noted that Lucy yelled out as Luffy delivers the attack.

aohige 2013-08-16 02:57

Nine pages of the chapter from the Chinese official release was leaked.
I can't read Chinese, but from what I can gather:

Coverstory: Scotch continues holds up the old woman, but a marine battleship arrives.

Zoro and Franky are united at the Flower Garden, where a whole bunch of dwarfs are kept against their will.
They seem to know about the Straw Hats (and if my reading of Chinese is correct, considers them heroes), and when Zoro and Franky introduces them as one, they looked shocked and in awe.
Zoro watches Luffy & Chinjao's fight on the TV, cheering on. I think he may be talking about how he wished he hadn't lost his sword, he looks frustrated that he's not there fighting lol

Meanwhile, on Usopp/Robin side, as the dwarven army deploys, they enlist help of two Bug Bug fruit user dwarfs.
One is a bee woman, and other, a Rhino Beetle man. The chapter likely ends with the dwarves charging out.

EDIT: The Beetle man is likely Kabu, since Rhino Beetles are called "Kabuto mushi" in Japanese.
Besides, he looks like him lol

marvelB 2013-08-16 03:07

So these are Chinese spoilers.... interesting. Wonder how they managed to leak the chapter so early.....?

Anyway, really nice to know that we finally have our first bug fruit users this chapter. I think the closest thing we had to an insect zoan before that was Onigumo's spider fruit (but remember people, spiders are arachnids, not bugs). Now we're a step closer to getting the Awakened cockroach zoan that I've dreamed of for so many years (and for anyone who thinks that a roach-man can't be threatening..... well, I'll just point you towards the series Terra Formars, lol :p).

Also, it looks like one of the images showed Nami fighting against Jora? So I guess she finally gets a proper boss fight after such a long time, after all. I sure hope weather girl wins this one.....

aohige 2013-08-16 07:53

Updates:

At the end of the chapter, Barto and Caven are watching the block C fights, and Burgess approaches them!
He asks them who the little kid in the ring fighting is, and before they say anything, Luffy unleashes a move on Chinjao.... a CoA haki hardended Gomu Gomu rifle!

paradox13 2013-08-16 09:56

Wow seems like a badass chapter

noktown 2013-08-16 13:54

Quote:

Updates:

Oh...My...God!

marvelB 2013-08-16 14:26

-The Tontatta tribe has a truly impressive military force. Not only do they have bug zoans, but they've also got regular bugs and even foxes for transport!

-Apparently, Gancho (the king dwarf) tells Robin that the war between them and the Donquixote family has a much deeper history that goes beyond Doflamingo's reign as king. In fact, it seems their feud has lasted for over 900 years......

-It looks like Jora explains her DF ability to Nami's group during their fight. Sadly, I can't give any detailed explanation due to my miniscule understanding of Chinese, but it looks like she can transform creatures/objects into modern art by covering them in smoke. She then transforms Nami's Clima Tact into some bizarre.... thing (it looks like a plant with a mouth and melted clock, lol :p). Brooke's sword was affected by her power as well, and Chopper seems to have gotten the worst of it (I can't even BEGIN to describe what he looks like! XD). BTW, it also looks like Jora confirms that she is NOT the person with the toy DF power. It also seems that during the battle, Law attempts to contact Chopper via Denden mushi.....

-Back at Green Bit, a beaten, exhausted Law is still holding off Doflamingo (Fujitora, oddly enough, is nowhere to be seen). Dofla tells Law that Luffy has fallen for his trap, and now he won't be able to escape the colosseum.....

-Also, it might just be me, but it definitely looked like Chinjao wasn't out of the fight yet when Luffy punched him. It looked like he covered his stomach with CoA when the hit connected.....

All in all, this is an awesome chapter! ;)

shalala 2013-08-16 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4795814)

-It looks like Jora explains her DF ability to Nami's group during their fight. Sadly, I can't give any detailed explanation due to my miniscule understanding of Chinese, but it looks like she can transform creatures/objects into modern art by covering them in smoke. She then transforms Nami's Clima Tact into some bizarre.... thing (it looks like a plant with a mouth and melted clock, lol :p). Brooke's sword was affected by her power as well, and Chopper seems to have gotten the worst of it (I can't even BEGIN to describe what he looks like! XD).

All in all, this is an awesome chapter! ;)

He looks like a toy to me. Bug Zoans with super strength does sound cool. I wonder if they can increase in size or fly. Because if they can fly fast then they would pretty much be bullet. Also it is interesting that the little people have beef with Dofla family for a long time. I wonder what started it all. I smell a flashback or soo coming up in the later chapters.

paradox13 2013-08-16 21:40

Quote:

In fact, it seems their feud has lasted for over 900 years......
Possible that it has something to do with the Ancient Kingdom?

Rainbowman 2013-08-16 22:14

These are the second time we see bug zoan powers the first being Epoida the caterpillar and Oniguma the spider. FYI, Arachnids are a subcategory of the bug kingdom.

Shockingly 2013-08-17 02:41

Quote:

Updates:

Yes, it seems that, Chinjao took a lot of damage from that attack. Normally, Oda shows their eyes white like that when they are about to pass out or when they actually do pass out. It's like a small hint that, Luffy is winning. If, Chinjao actually used armanent haki to decrease the damage then he's going to have a lot of trouble dealing with, Luffy in this fight. He's definitely about to lose.

It seems that, Burgeus is quite interested in, Luffy's mass amount of haki so I suppose he can sense it. Of course, Doflamingo is a fool if he thinks his little trap is going to work on, Luffy. He's going to end up getting his ass kicked by the rubber man by the end of this arc. Underestimating the him is a big mistake which is going to cost him his 10 years of work and reputation and possibly his freedom. Can't wait for the English translations!
If Burgeus loses a fight to, Luffy he's going to give a bad name to the Blackbeard pirates. I'm sure that when he entered the Colosseum he expected getting the Flame Flame Fruit would be easy as pie. He can see now that it's not going to be easy

bigdeal000 2013-08-17 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainbowman (Post 4796131)
These are the second time we see bug zoan powers the first being Epoida the caterpillar and Oniguma the spider. FYI, Arachnids are a subcategory of the bug kingdom.

Nope. Bugs are a type of insect. Both insects and arachnids are part of the arthropod kingdom you call "bug kingdom" here.

aohige 2013-08-17 04:42

No, that's only if you insist on using the original terminology which is outdated, no longer supported by vast majority, and has no practical usage in the modern terminology.

"Bugs" are used nowadays as a general term including:
Quote:

informally, an arthropod—except aquatic crustaceans and xiphosura—including individuals or species of:
  • insect
  • arachnid
  • myriapod
  • woodlouse

Which, btw, is practically how "mushi" is used in Japanese, therefore an appropriate translation.

Refusing to acknowledge the word "bug" in the modern light would be as pretentious as refusing to acknowledge the word "gay" to refer homosexuality.

EDIT: What the hell, major deja vu. Didn't I like post this exact reply months ago on a different thread? :heh:

mrShady 2013-08-17 05:41

Looks like a sick chapter.
I hope the Don stays down so Luffy doesn't have to waste too much of his strength in 1 fight.

Also a certain one piece scanlation group has officially died. Bit of a bummer, now they can't rule my HDD anymore.

bigdeal000 2013-08-17 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by aohige (Post 4796411)
No, that's only if you insist on using the original terminology which is outdated, no longer supported by vast majority, and has no practical usage in the modern terminology.

"Bugs" are used nowadays as a general term including:

Which, btw, is practically how "mushi" is used in Japanese, therefore an appropriate translation.

Refusing to acknowledge the word "bug" in the modern light would be as pretentious as refusing to acknowledge the word "gay" to refer homosexuality.

EDIT: What the hell, major deja vu. Didn't I like post this exact reply months ago on a different thread? :heh:

Well, that terminology is not outdated in my native country. We are still taught exactly like that because we don't really give a damn about bugs. Also, the translated term for "bug" has a little different meaning, that cannot be used for all insects, no matter how you swing it. If english speaking scientists consider it that way, so be it, my mistake.

Shockingly 2013-08-17 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrShady (Post 4796452)
Looks like a sick chapter.
I hope the Don stays down so Luffy doesn't have to waste too much of his strength in 1 fight.

Also a certain one piece scanlation group has officially died. Bit of a bummer, now they can't rule my HDD anymore.

I hope so as well. Chinjao, was struggling so much from a rifle. Luffy, hasn't even used his gear 3rd techniques on him. At the end of this Arc his bounty will be at least 550+ We still have the fight between him and Doflamingo coming soon.

Undertaker 2013-08-17 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdeal000 (Post 4796602)
Well, that terminology is not outdated in my native country. We are still taught exactly like that because we don't really give a damn about bugs. Also, the translated term for "bug" has a little different meaning, that cannot be used for all insects, no matter how you swing it. If english speaking scientists consider it that way, so be it, my mistake.

I still don't see the issue though, it's an English term so what's wrong with English speaking scientist redefined it.

Besides, Aoihige just told you that the Japanese word mushi is used virtually the same way the bug is used now and that goes for Chinese as well. The character 虫(kanji, simplified) or 蟲 (traditional) has always have the higher hierarchy and requires a modified word to turn it into insects or other arthropod species.

You were taught a certain way does't mean it was right. Pluto was taught as 9th planet when I was a kid and still taught that way for a good while even after it was proved that it wasn't technically a planet...

Anyway I also saw the spoiler here are what I can add:

=> It's pretty safe to say that the new zoan will be called mushi-mushi no mi, since the Chinese is using 虫 as translation and that word can be carried directly to kanji.

=> The two Zoan are mode: wasp and as Aoihige mentioned mode:kabuto (or rhinoceros beetle)

=> The foxes that Robin and Ussop riding on is designed to carry 20 dwarfs

=> The toy solider is been referred as the leader of underground resistance force under the flower garden (so these should be the ally force Ussop was being told but not the ones who they are rescuing)

=> During the report to toy soldier, they mention something about the location of "white sugar" and mentioned that Tontatta Tribe reported that their "legendary hero" appeared and is heading this way to join them. They then mention the names of SH which is when Franky and Zoro acknowledges their identity.

=> Conversation between Jora and Nami pretty much what MarvelB said. Nami complains that her clima-tact has turned into toy to which Jora said that the one with Toy power is another member form the family and she is the person who ate Art-art fruit that can turn anything into art. As result, Chopper can't used his hoofs and horns and Brook can't use his sword. Jora is also pissed because apparently the Trio did manage to take out her underlings and ship. Afterward there is a den-den mushi call that was cut off (seem to have missing pages in middle, but most likely form Law)

Everything else is as Aohige and MarvelB stated with one tiny detail.

The CoA filled Gomu-Gomu no Rifle has the character 鷹 in it, which means either hawk or eagle so it mostly carry the trend of having animal-theme weapon for haki-infused technique. BTW, I think Luffy's cover would soon be blown, because the commentators noted that Lucy yelled out as Luffy delivers the attack.

Shockingly 2013-08-17 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertaker (Post 4797069)

He used a Rifle Red Hawk with armanent haki.
Red Hawk as everyone should know is his flaming technique. At least that's what it looks like he did. That was either steam or it was flames that I see.
Or for all I know it can be a wind technique.

marvelB 2013-08-17 17:55

Okay, so I compiled all of the summary posts we have so far and added them to the first post. Thank you for your additions, Undertaker! ;)

Also, about the bug thing: I do admit that it's basically me being a stubborn little mule. Funny thing is, there actually WAS a time during my childhood years when I referred to spiders as bugs. But upon growing up, I kept getting it beaten into my head that arachnids weren't considered as such, so I guess I just stuck with that idea. I really should know better by now, but I guess old habits die hard, heh. :p

Anyway, the highlight for me so far is definitely the dwarf king's comment about the 900-year feud. Looks like this adds a lot more weight to the theory that Dofla is a descendant of the world nobles.....

Undertaker 2013-08-17 19:06

Yeah, the 900 year thing is interesting, but things are coming together nicely as usual for OP. I was wondering how the group would gather, but as it stand, it's basically down to Nami's group, which most likely will join Law's side of the battle most likely in aid his escape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shockingly (Post 4797109)
He used a Rifle Red Hawk with armanent haki.
Red Hawk as everyone should know is his flaming technique. At least that's what it looks like he did. That was either steam or it was flames that I see.
Or for all I know it can be a wind technique.

I think that's have to wait until raw is out to be sure. After all the original Japanese for Red Hawk was written as 火拳銃 that usually read as HiKenJu or Fire Fist Pistol and the difference between Rifle and Pistol before was wind-up part that gave Rifle a spiral motion.

Anyway, Oda used Katakana to alter the pronunciation of 火拳銃 to Red Hawk while official Chinese translation just kept the kanji as it can be carried over. But in this chapter, it was written as 鷹之回旋彈 or Hawk's Spiral Bullet(Rifle) so you can't really be sure that it's Rifle Red Hawk, besides Red Hawk already have CoA infused in it and it's name has little to do with the fact it had fire attribute.

So the move is definitely the upgraded Rifle, but the name really have to wait for the Japanese raw to be sure. But my money is on Gomu Gogu no Eagle Rifle. Since Eagle Rifle is an actual a term used for sniper rifles.

Luffy's major attack names can basically be put into three types: gun/pistol, rifle, cannon/bazooka. Red Hawk is magnam, a type of pistol, I doubt the name will be used in a rifle type attack.