AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Do you believe in the "philosophical abyss"? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=115890)

NinjaRealist 2012-10-29 16:43

Do you believe in the "philosophical abyss"?

The the idea of an abyss is used as a figurative concept for many ideas within many intellectual backgrounds. However, the definition that I'm taking is one from philosophy.

Simply put, the "philosophical abyss" is:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me
A logical dead-end, at which all rational (as opposed to faith-based) attempts to explain the human raison d'être fail. The abyss is the realization that life has no objective meaning and that one's own existence is, within the grand scape of reality, essentially illusory.

Believe in it? Think I'm crazy? Please comment and respond to the poll.

I broke up yes and no into two answers one for religious people and one for non-religious people, because I think one's belief in God would almost automatically preclude one from believing in the abyss.

Zakoo 2012-10-29 16:52

You are simply Nihilist.

I don't bother myself with philosophy and metaphysics, too bothersome for my head.
Goals change from one person to another, as for myself I simply wish to discover new use of chemistry for the sake of people.

My second goal is to get a loli.

In short it's something you find while living I guess?

As for your quote it's right though, our existence as much as ants, frogs, or bacteria, little matters in front of the universe.

NinjaRealist 2012-10-29 17:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zakoo (Post 4417689)
You are simply Nihilist.

I don't bother myself with philosophy and metaphysics, too bothersome for my head.
Goals change from one person to another, as for myself I simply wish to discover new use of chemistry for the sake of people.

In short it's something you find while living I guess?

As for your quote it's right though, our existence as much as ants, frogs, or bacteria, little matters in front of the universe.

I'm not a pure nihilist because I do find meaning in life, although my philosophy is very nihilistic.

I simply realize that any meaning my life has will have to be subjective and provided by myself or someone else.

But there is no objective meaning of life: at least not so far as our understanding of the universe has allowed me to see.

Xellos-_^ 2012-10-29 17:17

Quote:

I exist therefore I am
no need to think about anything else. who cares what the secret or purpose of life is.

Frenchie 2012-10-29 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ (Post 4417715)
no need to think about anything else. who cares what the secret or purpose of life is.

Pretty sure it's 'I think, therefore I am'. Just a minor nitpick. :p

solidguy 2012-10-29 17:29

I'm not particularly well versed in philosophy but from what I have gathered from it I'd say yes. Justifying my opinion is pointless, infact everything is pointless!

Xellos-_^ 2012-10-29 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frenchie (Post 4417723)
Pretty sure it's 'I think, therefore I am'. Just a minor nitpick. :p

that is Descarte' ver

Quote:

I exist therefore I am
is Mine :)

solidguy 2012-10-29 17:40

But what is your proof that you can think? that you think you think? From this subjective experience stems our entire foundation of knowledge.

Mr Hat and Clogs 2012-10-29 17:46

I'd have to say yes, since all it will take is on asteroid big enough to make it abundantly clear we mean pretty much nothing to the universe. Not really a topic I think about but I have wondered why we bother at times since it could very well end arbitrarily, nevermind when the sun dies, rendering everything (all the greed, power and everything else) pointless. But I spose living for the moment is what makes things interesting, just to see what happens. Without the proof of a god, we're really just a lucky coincidence.

Smaller scale version, look at the sinking of the Titanic... Pinnacle of hummanity at the time, didn't do most of em squat in the end.

Mmm some negative thoughts for nine in the morning.

erneiz_hyde 2012-10-29 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaRealist (Post 4417707)
I'm not a pure nihilist because I do find meaning in life, although my philosophy is very nihilistic.

I simply realize that any meaning my life has will have to be subjective and provided by myself or someone else.

But there is no objective meaning of life: at least not so far as our understanding of the universe has allowed me to see.

When you zoom out to see the bigger picture, eventually the picture itself will begin to blur. If you continue doing it then the picture will eventually become "nothing of noticeable importance".

When you see it this way, is it the picture itself that is "of no importance" or is it the way you look at it?

Cosmic Eagle 2012-10-29 17:58

Why does one need to justify one's own existence anyway....for what sake or purpose do people get themselves in a bind over something like that. "I exist, therefore I exist" is good enough

Nightbat® 2012-10-29 18:02

I voted 'no' for the simple reason I'll find out when I die anyway
if there is an 'abyss' I'm pretty sure I won't be loosing any sleep over it by then

solidguy 2012-10-29 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle (Post 4417762)
Why does one need to justify one's own existence anyway....for what sake or purpose do people get themselves in a bind over something like that. "I exist, therefore I exist" is good enough

Because its dogmatic? Idk why people do it though, to attain knowledge? Answer questions? Why do we care if there is an objective truth out there if we can never truly know it?

monster 2012-10-29 21:45

Quote:

A logical dead-end, at which all rational (as opposed to faith-based) attempts to explain the human raison d'être fail.
Being religious, I can accept this to be true.
Quote:

The abyss is the realization that life has no objective meaning and that one's own existence is, within the grand scape of reality, essentially illusory.
I do not accept this to be true, but it has nothing to do with me being religious, although being religious does not conflict with me not believing this to be true.

So, I don't know whether I believe in the "philosophical abyss" or not, and that's just fine for me.

Random32 2012-10-29 21:52

Life has no meaning, has no purpose, has no point. That is what is so damn beautiful about it. There isn't any larger purpose, there is no god to serve, no true meaning, nothing that you don't give it. It's a blank canvas and you have one chance to fill it with whatever you want.

Quote:

Because we want to. That is, ultimately, the only reason we ever do anything.

EDIT
Quote:

Scratch what I said above, the ultimate purpose, meaning, and point of life is to obtain a loli. ;)

NoemiChan 2012-10-29 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random32 (Post 4418018)
Life has no meaning, has no purpose, has no point. That is what is so damn beautiful about it.

My version.

Human original existence is to eat, sh*t, breed and be fertilizer in the end.

Thanks to our brilliant mind (illusions, delusions and hallucinations) and reasoning.... We just made it more complicated....

Akito Kinomoto 2012-10-29 22:35

If you don't think you're the main character of your own story, you're doing it wrong. I don't need greater meaning. I ain't throwing away anything either. Can't we just worry about what we need to instead of putting the weight of the universe on us?

NinjaRealist 2012-10-29 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto (Post 4418063)
If you don't think you're the main character of your own story, you're doing it wrong. I don't need greater meaning. I ain't throwing away anything either. Can't we just worry about what we need to instead of putting the weight of the universe on us?

If I wanted to be cheeky, I'd say that you need to look up solipsism.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random32 (Post 4418018)
Life has no meaning, has no purpose, has no point. That is what is so damn beautiful about it. There isn't any larger purpose, there is no god to serve, no true meaning, nothing that you don't give it. It's a blank canvas and you have one chance to fill it with whatever you want.

Because we want to. That is, ultimately, the only reason we ever do anything.

EDIT

Scratch what I said above, the ultimate purpose, meaning, and point of life is to obtain a loli. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidguy (Post 4417772)
Because its dogmatic? Idk why people do it though, to attain knowledge? Answer questions? Why do we care if there is an objective truth out there if we can never truly know it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightbat® (Post 4417768)
I voted 'no' for the simple reason I'll find out when I die anyway
if there is an 'abyss' I'm pretty sure I won't be loosing any sleep over it by then

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle (Post 4417762)

I should have put an option for "Don't know and don't care" >_>.

NoemiChan 2012-10-29 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto (Post 4418063)

Man are still self centered beings even after Copernicus and Galileo made Ptolemy look like a fool by claiming the Earth is the center of the universe.:eyespin:

Vexx 2012-10-29 23:04

There's lunch ... lunch is very important :)