AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Possibly dieing GPU (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=120687)

Hayamaneko 2013-07-15 14:59

Possibly dieing GPU

Ever since I assembled my newish PC i have been receiving random freezes, some of them lasting longer then a few minutes and forcing me to restart. Other times my screen goes black for a few minutes before eventuating turning back own again. I have checked the dump files/event view to see what the problem was and most of the errors have originated from an nvlddmkm error. When I tried to install a beta version of my GPU's drivers (had the most recent one installed, figured installing an older one would fix the problem), the system restarted on me. I checked the dump file and I got a "PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA" error. All of my hardware, except for the nvidia 460 GTX card, is basically brand new and I had no issues like this with my previous rig. What can I do to fix the problem?

My specs:
ASUS p8b75-v motherboard
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GeForce 460 GTX

King Lycan 2013-07-15 23:52

Check your ram run memtest for a few hours.
Also how were you uninstalling your old gpu drivers ?

Hayamaneko 2013-07-16 01:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Lycan (Post 4760311)
Check your ram run memtest for a few hours.
Also how were you uninstalling your old gpu drivers ?

I uninstalled the drivers by doing a clean install, which supposedly clears out all the older drivers when installing the new ones.

Also the RAM is brand new, don't see how it would be damaged already

Tiberium Wolf 2013-07-16 01:33

Just because the ram is new it doesn't mean it's always good. I could be bad from the factory.

MeoTwister5 2013-07-16 01:49

Does your screen have (had) any artifacting or tearing issues before the crashing?

EroKing 2013-07-16 03:00

If you feel it is your GPU try this to check the RAM of your card for any errors http://www.technibble.com/repair-too...y-stress-test/

Hayamaneko 2013-07-16 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 (Post 4760386)
Does your screen have (had) any artifacting or tearing issues before the crashing?

No. Usually it I just get the screen staying dark after it has gone into screen saver mode after my leaving the computer idle for certain long periods. The major problem is the computer completely freezing for long enough that I decide I need to restart it (usually well over 5 minutes)

I have tried stress testing the GPU with FurMark for 10 minutes and the computer remains stable and when the temperature levels off at around 85 c. I've also tried getting rid of all previous versions of nvidia drivers and installed the latest nvidia drivers

Again though the major problem is the freezing, which I can't tell if it has been listed in the event log or not

edit: Ran the GPU RAM test mentioned in the previous post and it found no errors. Should I run it multiple times?

-KarumA- 2013-07-16 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayamaneko (Post 4760675)
No. Usually it I just get the screen staying dark after it has gone into screen saver mode after my leaving the computer idle for certain long periods. The major problem is the computer completely freezing for long enough that I decide I need to restart it (usually well over 5 minutes)

I have tried stress testing the GPU with FurMark for 10 minutes and the computer remains stable and when the temperature levels off at around 85 c. I've also tried getting rid of all previous versions of nvidia drivers and installed the latest nvidia drivers

Again though the major problem is the freezing, which I can't tell if it has been listed in the event log or not

edit: Ran the GPU RAM test mentioned in the previous post and it found no errors. Should I run it multiple times?

I would test other components such as your ram.
If anything ram-ish were broken then it would've been noticed in Furmark and you would have tearing and such.
Drivers could've been the issue but you mentioned you already uninstalled all older drivers and tried the latest as well as the version before that (personally I would never try the beta drivers though).

Hayamaneko 2013-07-16 18:07

Checking the even log, I keep find this error:
"Session "Microsoft Security Client OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D"

I have also gotten this a few times

"Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected."

both of these happen around whenever the computer freezes.

I've also gotten "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" and "INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR" BSOD. Should I post the dump files

Quote:

Originally Posted by -KarumA- (Post 4760814)
I would test other components such as your ram.
If anything ram-ish were broken then it would've been noticed in Furmark and you would have tearing and such.
Drivers could've been the issue but you mentioned you already uninstalled all older drivers and tried the latest as well as the version before that (personally I would never try the beta drivers though).

If no tearing showed up when I did the GPU RAM test why should I bother running something like Memtest? Also what else can I run test on at this point? I've already test the GPU and, to an extent, the hard drives and the RAM

larethian 2013-07-16 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayamaneko (Post 4761060)
If no tearing showed up when I did the GPU RAM test why should I bother running something like Memtest? Also what else can I run test on at this point? I've already test the GPU and, to an extent, the hard drives and the RAM

So you haven't run memtest yet? Screen freezes can be due to other problems besides GPU. You should check it anyway because regardless of whether your RAM is damaged or not, it could be an obscure timing issue. You should also take a look at what the auto-configured timings are for your RAM through the BIOS (Clock plus CAS timings). Just a small note that your CPU's rating is 1333 for RAM support, though normally this isn't an issue, but you never know.

Also, your board seems to have integrated graphics, so disconnect your GTX and use the integrated graphics. If the problem disappears, then you may be right that the issue is due to your GTX (or the interconnect on the MOBO though very unlikely).

Hayamaneko 2013-07-16 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by larethian (Post 4761297)
So you haven't run memtest yet? Screen freezes can be due to other problems besides GPU. You should check it anyway because regardless of whether your RAM is damaged or not, it could be an obscure timing issue. You should also take a look at what the auto-configured timings are for your RAM through the BIOS (Clock plus CAS timings). Just a small note that your CPU's rating is 1333 for RAM support, though normally this isn't an issue, but you never know.

Also, your board seems to have integrated graphics, so disconnect your GTX and use the integrated graphics. If the problem disappears, then you may be right that the issue is due to your GTX (or the interconnect on the MOBO though very unlikely).

Actually I found blank cd-rom and burned a copy of memtest on it and ran it for about two hours. After about two "passes" it found no errors. Should I leave it running for longer?

EroKing 2013-07-17 02:44

Session "Microsoft Security Client OOBE" stopped due to the following error: 0xC000000D

Microsoft FixIt

If any of those suggestions don't work, try a clean install of windows and then updating windows.

Hayamaneko 2013-07-17 12:58

I haven't tried any of the fixes mentioned above yet but I have a question: is it possible that a persons internet connection could cause a computer to completely freeze? My mom's laptop occasionally has momentary freezing and at least once has had to restart her computer because it froze for long enough. I spoke with a tech support person for my ISP but he said their was really nothing he could do and that if a technitian were to be sent to my house he would probably just say its computer related instead of router or service related. Can if just be a coincidence?

Ledgem 2013-07-19 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayamaneko (Post 4761799)
is it possible that a persons internet connection could cause a computer to completely freeze?

No, it is not.

Hayamaneko 2013-07-19 22:30

So for the past two days I had no problems, other then a "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.". But a few hours ago the computer freezes once again for a very long time so I ended up rebooting. Really not sure what to do anymore and I am not sure what to look for in the event log that could give me a clue and whats causing the issue. I have run chkdsk on all three drives, stress tested the GPU and run memtest on the RAM, non of these things have indicated anything wrong with the parts. For now I am going to try using the motherboards onboard video card instead of the GPU but I don't know if that'll stop the problem. Please. what the hell should I do at this point?

monir 2013-07-19 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayamaneko (Post 4764311)
For now I am going to try using the motherboards onboard video card instead of the GPU but I don't know if that'll stop the problem. Please.

Try it out and see if that solves it.

Hayamaneko 2013-07-20 12:49

I have decided that if something does end up happening again that I am going to try reformatting my 80 GB hard drive and just reinstalling windows 7. If that ends up happening, what steps can I take so that something doesn't end up getting corrupted again and the same issues start to happen

If nothing happens and it turns out switching to the onboard video solves the problem, that would probably mean that my 460 GPU was at fault. Why would this be? I've stress tested it before and nothing really showed up as an issue

Jaden 2013-07-21 18:16

NVIDIA cards have been known for crashes/freezes that happen when the computer is idle or just as it's being woken up. Basically there are problems with the device switching between different power states.

Usually that's caused by drivers and they should mostly have gotten over their bad driver streak by now, but you never know. Might want to try all kinds of different versions. It's strange that you couldn't install the beta drivers though.

Also since you're running with the onboard GPU, might as well physically take out the card and reseat it later. I've no logic for it, but I've seen problems get fixed just by doing that.

Finally, any reason to doubt your hard drive? Usually if that was failing you'd get different error codes, so it's unlikely, but all my crashes in recent years were caused by SSD problems and eventually fixed by firmware updates. And new motherboards sometimes have problems powering older mechanical hard drives without native SATA connections. Not sure what your situation is but these are vague possibilities anyways.

Hayamaneko 2013-07-21 19:13

^I ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r on all three of my hard drives along with seatools multiple times and its never found anything wrong with any of them.

since I am using my on board video I did in fact remove the GPU since that was the only way I could figure out to get work with my monitor. So far I haven't had any freezes but I went two days without a freeze with my GPU before so I am not 100% certain of anything at this point. Before I decide that the GPU was in fact the issue is their some foolproof way of checking to make sure the card is faulty piece of hard ware and not some bizarre driver mixup? I've already tried stress testing it with furmark but I am not sure if I did it right

Hayamaneko 2013-07-23 14:17

Its still happening. Reformatted the drive, reinstalled windows 7 and ran a bunch of updates and made sure their where no left over NVIDIA drives before reinstalling the most recent nvidia drivers but it is still happening. Going by the even log the last error message to pop up around the exact time that I noticed the freeze was:

Quote:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
Not sure what that is or what to do about it. Please someone help