AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Steam games (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=64979)

rainnydaiis 2008-04-08 23:28

Steam games

I went and searched through the game server, and the threads were either all very outdated or only specific to 1 or 2 of steam games. When I refer to steam games I'm talking about the half-life mods in general not the other games such like hitman on steam.

I'm wondering if anyone plays games like:

Half-Life / Half-Life 2
Day of Defeat / source
Counter-strike / Conditionzero / source
Opposing Force
Deathmatch
and more

These types of games, and what your steam acc name is so we can add each other and play together.

I've mainly been playing Day of Defeat these days, so I'm wondering if anyone actually plays it that would like to play together.

Danj 2008-04-10 10:50

Why is there no Team Fortress 2 in your list?

MidnighT-WolF 2008-04-10 17:29

Yeah, Team Fortress 2 is the Source game I've played the most in the last months!

Medic FTW! I am fully charged!

rainnydaiis 2008-04-12 03:26

Haha I only took the time to add the old HL games. So you guys play TF2 a lot? Interesting how TF2 is so famous and no one seems to even know about TFC lol

MidnighT-WolF 2008-04-12 10:09

TFC is so old, I used to play it a lot in the past, when there was no Steam at all, when we were connecting through the WON servers system, good old time. But then I quickly came to play Day Of Defeat when it was on beta, I became addicted and started a clan with some friends.

Our clan lasted for a long time, until last year, because when we moved to Day Of Defeat: Source we quickly understood how Valve killed our so loved game and are laughing at us, in a way, because they didn't release a single patch in more than a year, and there's a LOT of bugs to cover, and not enough official maps.

Conclusion, Valve killed Day Of Defeat.... *crys*

[DOT].L 2008-04-13 01:11

I'm still playing the good, old non-source DoD. Finding good servers is a problem, though.

I never finished Half-Life 2 since I'm apparently one of those people who gets motion sickness after playing it for too long.

Still play CS from time to time. Certainly not as much as I used to.

Vexx 2008-04-13 01:26

I find the whole Steam concept unacceptable from a consumer and security standpoint. I used to love those games (HL, TFC, etc). So I just left the Valve world.

Hmm, I guess I'm not the only one that gets motion-sick from *some* first person games. I figure it has to do with camera jitters or "world engine" --- just something gives me miscues and then I have to go lay down. I used to engineer flight simulators (the big ones on 6 DFOM hydraulics), ride roller coasters like crazy, etc. .... but a few minutes in HL2 and I'm out.

rainnydaiis 2008-04-13 03:05

Well I don't get motion sickness or anything of the sort even if I play for hours and hours on end.

I also agree a lot about how Valve decided to ruin and kill most of the games by creating a "source" version of it, so I would be referring to DoD and CS. I use to love these games in the WON days as well because, it was so much less of a hassle than it is now with steam. Many people these days seem to love TF2 and stuff, but for me I for some reason don't enjoy it as much as seeing how its a "source" like version of TFC and how a lot of things got nerf'd but thats my personal opinion.

[DOT].L where do you exactly live? Because if you live in either Central or Pacific time zone, I would recommend the {GSR} servers which are ranked 2 and 4 out of all DoD servers.

[DOT].L 2008-04-13 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 1530445)
I find the whole Steam concept unacceptable from a consumer and security standpoint.

I can see where you're coming from, but a lot of people seem to like the system for the convenience it offers.
Quote:

Hmm, I guess I'm not the only one that gets motion-sick from *some* first person games. I figure it has to do with camera jitters or "world engine" --- just something gives me miscues and then I have to go lay down. I used to engineer flight simulators (the big ones on 6 DFOM hydraulics), ride roller coasters like crazy, etc. .... but a few minutes in HL2 and I'm out.

Yes, I also think it's the camera jitters. I can play DoD and CS for hours on end without any unpleasant "side-effects," but a couple minutes of Half-Life 2 will put me out of commission for good.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainnydaiis (Post 1530578)
[DOT].L where do you exactly live? Because if you live in either Central or Pacific time zone, I would recommend the {GSR} servers which are ranked 2 and 4 out of all DoD servers.

I've already got those on my favourites list.:) I also enjoy playing on the SK (suicide kings) server. I miss the days when friendly fire was the norm on DoD.

Jays 2008-04-13 23:04

http://i25.tinypic.com/xfda2g.jpg

The only ones I play regularly are Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike Source. The rest I've already beaten.

Danj 2008-04-14 03:14

Quote:

I find the whole Steam concept unacceptable from a consumer and security standpoint.

Why is it unacceptable? Your games are linked to your account forever, it's not like EA Link where you have to pay extra if you want to be able to reinstall them in 2 years' time. You can back up the games. Steam has an offline mode where if your internet connection is out you can still play the games. Valve have promised to "unlock" Steam in the event that they go out of business. There is no limit to the number of computers you can install your games on (you can just only use one at a time). I don't understand what the problem is.

But if it turns out you do have a problem with that for some reason, why not check out Stardock Central? Stardock publishes great independent games with ABSOLUTELY NO DRM. They have been successful with the Galactic Civilizations series and more recently Sins of a Solar Empire.

Malrick 2008-04-14 03:28

I have just ordered the Orange Box off of Play_asia. Should be playing it in a few days if Im lucky!

Papaya 2008-04-15 18:58

Quote:

I find the whole Steam concept unacceptable from a consumer and security standpoint. I used to love those games (HL, TFC, etc). So I just left the Valve world.

Mmm, I have the same problem as you, but with other games. The Source engine is probably the best for me. Doom 3 engine is the worst. I can't play that game at all.

-Sho- 2010-04-26 15:44

Well , as this is the only Steam thread , i up this thread for Steam's new interface :

http://s2.noelshack.com/uploads/imag..._new_steam.jpg

Just Launch your Steam now and you'll see .
Wow , i find it quite good . I like the design , the new tab , the "Games" logo , current events .... well i find it better .

So what do you think ?

Jan-Poo 2010-04-26 17:25

Quote:

Another one that often gets motion sickness here. It really depends on the 3D engine. Half-life 2's engine can cause motion sickness very easily.

I managed to play it without many problems for the most part without exaggerating with the playtime, but there was that part with the land vehicle... ouch that was terrible... even after turning off the pc I've been sick for 30 minutes.

Aka 2010-04-26 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by -Sho- (Post 3022229)
Well , as this is the only Steam thread , i up this thread for Steam's new interface :

http://s2.noelshack.com/uploads/imag..._new_steam.jpg

Just Launch your Steam now and you'll see .
Wow , i find it quite good . I like the design , the new tab , the "Games" logo , current events .... well i find it better .

So what do you think ?

I like the features of the friends but everything else was not necessary, gotta get used to it now so bleh...

Infinite Zenith 2012-09-02 19:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan-Poo (Post 3022399)
Another one that often gets motion sickness here. It really depends on the 3D engine. Half-life 2's engine can cause motion sickness very easily.

I managed to play it without many problems for the most part without exaggerating with the playtime, but there was that part with the land vehicle... ouch that was terrible... even after turning off the pc I've been sick for 30 minutes.

I only ever get a sinking feeling when I fall from a high place in most video games, but I've never experienced motion sickiness from driving the dune buggy in HL2 before.

kenobihiro 2012-09-03 05:44

I'm thinking of having the new Counter Strike. But i'm so busy with my job so no game time at this moment. Hope can play that game in my holiday woo =D.