AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Crysis III (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=111730)

T-6000 2013-01-22 18:18

I'm excited for this one, too bad I won't be playing this one on release day. As I mentioned in the Far Cry 3 thread, My Gaming PC is a bit old so I'll have to wait until fall of this year to pick this one up, as that will be when I upgrade my Gaming PC. In many PC Gaming forums I've visited (especially at the....ugh....PC gamer forums) many people have talked down on Crysis 2 (and the upcoming Crysis 3), even going as far as saying that Crysis 2 was one of the worse shooters of 2011. I'll be the first to admit that the overall story (and much of the dialogue) in Crysis 1 and 2 were absolute garbage, but they gameplay was fantastic! Not only do both games look great but the weapons felt meaty and powerful, and you can add different varieties of attachments. Not many shooters allow you to customize your weapons attachments. And with the nano-suit's different abilities you could play through the game several different ways.

A pity that this one will by Crytech's last Single Player focused Shooter. From here on out, they'll be focusing on Free to Play shooters.

LoweGear 2013-02-12 19:45

Of all the commercials out for Crysis 3, this has got to be my favorite:

Dynamic tag cannot be rendered. (PrintableThread)
[Maximum Swag]

T-6000 2013-02-12 20:01

Killing aliens in style. I like it! :D

denpxc 2013-02-12 21:47

crysis 3 beta multi was great, can't wait for full game :)

by the way, buy digital :) great discount :

http://cheapdigitaldownload.com/crys...ce-comparison/

(this is legal, not war*z)

T-6000 2013-02-15 22:53

Interesting. So far Crysis 3 has gotten 35% more Pre-Orders than Crysis 2 pre-orders a couple years back. And over 3 Million people downloaded the Crysis 3 Beta. Too bad I'll have to wait several months to get this game.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/139111/cr...preorders-soar

Hagoshod 2013-02-21 02:16

This game's storyline put me through a rollercoaster of emotions, mostly bad ones.

massive spoilers in that link btw.

Let's just say I hope you didn't like Alcatraz as a second main character and weren't hoping any of his struggles or experiences during Crysis 2 would be relevant in any way, shape, or form.

Renegade334 2013-02-21 12:27

It's Crysis 2 all over again.

Spoiler for Crysis 2 & 3 spoilers:

So...when it comes to gameplay and aesthetics/graphic design, leave it to Crytek, they've got interesting ideas...but leave the godforsaken scriptwriting to someone else. PLEASE.

Hagoshod 2013-02-21 16:31

The problem with Legion is the entire story takes place after Crysis 2 ends and adapts the game's plot in flashback form.

From Alcatraz's perspective.

While Alcatraz is being interviewed by MPs.

While he constantly refers to himself as "Alcatraz" or at least "Alky."

yeah um that whole idea doesn't exactly work anymore in Crysis 3's depiction of canon.

Renegade334 2013-02-21 20:01

I always felt sorry for Alcatraz - from start to finish the character was a blank slate, even more featureless/transparent than Nomad, who had quite a generic personality to begin with.

And at the end of C2, after all this survival rollercoaster, being mistaken for someone he's not, unable to communicate (hence the reason why he has no "personality", since he can't voice his thoughts and opinion), practically teetering on the brink of life and death, the poor sod is overwritten, mind and body, by Prophet, the man who just refuses to die no matter how much you'd wish him to.

And in C3 he isn't even mentioned. Jesus, talk about an insult that reaches even beyond the grave... -_-

Hagoshod 2013-02-21 23:41

But there's still a lot of things I like about it. I like how the entire theme of the game deals with Terminator Mode Prophet slowly remembering what it means to be human, I like how it has the bleakest setting yet, I like Prophet's little trait of carrying around the dog tags to remind you of the first game, and I like how the outcome of the Rasch subplot (as poorly paced and barely explained as it was) was legitimately haunting and showed you just how far Prophet himself could have fallen. I even like that "they're obviously talking about the will of humanity without making it cheesy and outright telling you they're talking about the will of humanity" sequence before the last part of the final boss fight to the point I added it to my playlist. What they were going for in 3 could have been pretty amazing... IF they had just set up the games to focus on this perspective from the start.

I can't really describe it. The main trilogy is simultaneously this really great moving story about a guy who loses everything trying to save the human race and learns how to get it back while also being a giant disjointed mess of different ideas. It's weird.

T-6000 2013-02-22 19:55

I'll be perfectly honest, the story in the Crysis series have always been lousy and very weak (not to mention unbearably Cliche) and must of the dialogues are garbage (and make some of the characters more annoying and unlikeable). It's the gameplay that has always appealed to me. The graphics and effects are a plus, but I've always been seen "Good single player gameplay"as a primary focus on the shooters I play. And I'm a big sucker for good sci-fi games (I have a huge dislike for Modern Day Military shooters).

Wild Goose 2013-02-22 21:07

Have just started playing the game.

Let me preface by saying that I never really got around to finishing either Crysis or Crysis: Warhead, though I finished Crysis 2 about 3 times or so.

Initial thoughts on the opening: The Nanobow is pretty nifty, I guess - Playing Far Cry 3 has made me appreciate a good bow - and so far, the game's playing well, and I love how the SCAR is back to being the jack of all trades Boring but Practical gun it was in the first game.

Also, I couldn't stop squeeing when Psycho showed up and kicked arse, and busted Prophet out. Even without a Nanosuit, don't fuck with Psycho.

It is a bit sad from the storytelling point that Alcatraz has been effectively rewritten, but then that was pretty much a given, what with the final line of Crysis 2.

As for variances between Legion and Crysis 2, alt verses. That's the best way to explain it.

ReaperxKingx 2013-02-22 21:18

I very much applaud the designers with their graphics, definitely the best looking game in the market currently. Gameplay is diverse and allows many ways to tackle objectives, you got to love options. Though the story was really mediocre, I heard that the end of Crysis 2 that they had a Novel which described everything that Prophet went through all the way to the beginning of Crysis 3. Still that doesn't excuse poor story telling, it felt like I was a hot potato during Crysis 3. No knowing any background and quickly just going through it. Thankfully the experience of the gameplay and graphics made story bearable. That is until the end of Crysis 3 which really mess up with my head. Overall, it earned, for me, a solid 8/10.

kaito-kid 2013-02-22 22:03

The story is an absolute mess!! If you play through all three games and try to make sense of the story, your head might explode. Crysis 1 was ok actually but Crysis 2 and 3... Oh my god! It's Uwe Boll level of storytelling.. Actually this is a game I wished Uwe Boll did make a movie of. It would be a match made in heaven.

Hagoshod 2013-02-22 23:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Goose (Post 4565248)
It is a bit sad from the storytelling point that Alcatraz has been effectively rewritten, but then that was pretty much a given, what with the final line of Crysis 2.

Spoken like a true fan of the Total Eclipse timeskip.

Rising Dragon 2013-02-22 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaito-kid (Post 4565295)
The story is an absolute mess!! If you play through all three games and try to make sense of the story, your head might explode. Crysis 1 was ok actually but Crysis 2 and 3... Oh my god! It's Uwe Boll level of storytelling.. Actually this is a game I wished Uwe Boll did make a movie of. It would be a match made in heaven.

Considering each game got a new writer, is it really any surprise?

Wild Goose 2013-02-23 00:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaito-kid (Post 4565295)

Well, Crysis 1's story was serviceable enough, though I rather preferred Warhead - Psycho had a lot more personality compared to Nomad.

But no, Boll would have just made the story even more incoherent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rising Dragon (Post 4565427)
Considering each game got a new writer, is it really any surprise?

Agreed. They managed to snag Richard Morgan for Crysis 2 - why couldn't they have brought him back for this game? (And it always kinda bugged me how they had Peter Watts writing Legion, but I admit that Legion was an interesting take on the story, even though it's effectively an alternate universe, since Alcatraz appears to have fused with SECOND and Prophet's gestalt, instead of being canonically overwritten by Prophet in Crysis 2.)

Not having the same writer does tend to hurt a series with regard to continuity and internal consistency.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hagoshod (Post 4565422)
Spoken like a true fan of the Total Eclipse timeskip.

OF COURSE!!![/Mbison]

In case that was not clear, I was mocking your butthurt jab at me.

I would strongly suggest further reading and comprehension studies for you. I would have liked to play as Alcatraz some more, but given how the last line of Crysis 2 is "They call me Prophet," it was obvious that he'd been overwritten by Prophet's gestalt, or ghost in the machine, or echo, or whatever you want to call it. That's what I got, so I rolled with it.

This does bring up an interesting tangent, however. When I think about it, in a way Crysis has both had and not quite had a central protagonist to tie all of the stories (well, unless you consider the Nanosuit - preferably voiced by Norio Wakamoto - to be a protagonist, which opens up a whole other aspect that I don't have time to get into right now).

Throughout all four games, the perspective shifts between each of them. Nomad sets out to do what he can, working with Prophet; Psycho gives an alternate perspective on Prophet and Nomad's actions; Alcatraz spends practically his entire story being mistaken for Prophet and reaping the fallout of Prophet's actions; and we finally get to play as Prophet himself. Or as the gestalt that calls itself Prophet. Or something. Honestly trying to figure out what the final form Prophet is, beyond a Post Human Warrior, gives me a headache. Throughout the first three games, Prophet is around, influencing the story, though his impact is more clearly felt - or experienced - in Crysis 2, through Alcatraz's eyes.

Makes Psycho's performance in the opening stages of Crysis 3 more impressive, though. Here's a dude who's probably in his fifties at this point, was probably fused with his Nanosuit, and now he's still kicking ass and taking names.

Also, some things never change: Cloak is still as powerfully hax as always. Which, to be fair, does make sense.

T-6000 2013-02-23 02:14

I wonder what their post release plans will be for Crysis 3? Since this game was considerably shorter than Crysis 2, I'm hoping that Crytech will release a Single Player DLC (or two) sometime in the future.

Hagoshod 2013-02-23 03:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Goose (Post 4565444)
I would strongly suggest further reading and comprehension studies for you. I would have liked to play as Alcatraz some more, but given how the last line of Crysis 2 is "They call me Prophet," it was obvious that he'd been overwritten by Prophet's gestalt, or ghost in the machine, or echo, or whatever you want to call it. That's what I got, so I rolled with it.

Yeah, it's SO obvious, and SO clearly set up as total mental assimilation, and SO not a last minute retcon that we still hear Prophet's consciousness talking to Alcatraz in separate third person as Alcatraz is climbing out of the ruins of Central Park.

hey.

hey Wild Goose. There's a part in Muv-Luv Alternative where Meiya uses Sumika's stupid plot contrivance software hack thing to make her own voice sound like Chizuru while she's talking to Takeru over the radio as a means to press him forward to continue the mission. So are you saying it would perfectly acceptable if they suddenly revealed Meiya was Chizuru the entire time? Because that's the logic you're using right now.

More mainstream example: At the end of The Dark Knight Rises, John Blake rises from the ashes and becomes the new Batman. So are you telling me we're supposed to assume he is now literally Bruce Wayne?

Wild Goose 2013-02-23 03:56

I understand that butthurt, whether real or imagined, especially when it relates to Muv-Luv, is something intertwined with your manifest being. Nevertheless, as futile as it may be to ask this, please try and not mix up unrelated things.

I cannot say for what conclusions or opinions you have formed, or how you arrived at those thoughts. For myself, hearing Prophet's voice speaking at the end, my interpretation of that scene was that Alcatraz had been overwritten. I was pleased that this was not the case in Legion, but nevertheless this game confirmed a suspicion that I have held for the last 2 years. Evidently you were not able to comprehend that I was speaking of an interpretation I had arrived at, that appeared obvious to me.

You are, of course, welcome to your own opinions on the matter, and to your usual form of intellectual hypocrisy.

Edit: Also, neither of your examples involve someone who is essentially dead being plugged into a Nanosuit and spending a great deal of time being slowly turned into a symbiotic Post Human Warrior who's essentially nothing more than a frame and ram materials for the Nanosuit. The first is a vocal disguise, the second is someone taking up the role and identity vacated by his predecessor.