AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Light Novels (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   GATE - Light Novel Discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=104156)

Roger Rambo 2011-05-12 23:20

GATE - Light Novel Discussion

Recently I came across something quite interesting when I was going over the "you might also like this" feature on Amazon.JP.

Beyond what I'm garnering from the covers, I have no clue what's going on with this, but my interest has been seriously piqued. This series seems relatively new (I figured at least that from the Japanese wiki page)

MrTerrorist 2011-05-13 04:45

Now this is interesting. Modern Military vs High Fantasy Races.

From what i understand from Google Translate, the story goes something like this:

In August 20XX, a mysterious gate suddenly appeared in Ginza, Tokyo where an army of knights suddenly invaded and killing many people. The Japanese government in response sends in the JSDF to fights off these "invaders" and finally driving them back to the Gate in 7 days. This incident becomes known as "The Ginza Incident".

After taking over the Gate, the JSDF sends in a recon group to explore the world beyond the Gate and try to establish diplomatic relationships with the people there. The protagonist is Yohji Itami, a recently promoted Captain in the JSDF who is a member of the recon group sent to explore the world. Along the way he meets a witch, a high elf and a demigod who are part of a resistance against an Evil Empire, the same empire that invaded Earth. While Yohji helps the local resistance fight against the Empire, back at Earth, the nations of the world are putting pressure on Japan to share information about the Gate with them....

Fun fact: The author of these novels is an ex-JSDF servicemen.

Roger Rambo 2011-05-13 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTerrorist (Post 3610614)
Now this is interesting. Modern Military vs High Fanatsy Races.

From what i understand from Google Translate, the story goes something like this:

In August 20XX, a mysterious gate suddenly appeared in Ginza, Tokyo where an army of knights suddenly invaded and killing many people. The Japanese government in response sends in the JSDF to fights off these "invaders" and finally driving them back to the Gate in 7 days. This incident becomes known as "The Ginza Incident".

After taking over the Gate, the JSDF sends in a recon group to explore the world beyond the Gate and try to establish diplomatic relationships with the people there. The protagonist is Yohji Itami, a recently promoted Captain in the JSDF who is a member of the recon group sent to explore the world. Along the way he meets a witch, a high elf and a demigod who are part of a resistance against an Evil Empire, the same empire that invaded Earth. While Yohji helps the local resistance fight against the Empire, back at Earth, the nations of world are putting pressure on Japan to share information about the Gate with them....

I'll admit. This sounds like a REALLY interesting concept. It's not something that you hear about happening very often in anime/manga/light novels. It's kind of strange that the most likely course of action (the government sending in the military to deal with the threat) becomes the most original premise for a story.
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTerrorist (Post 3610614)
Fun fact: The author of these novels is an ex-JSDF servicemen.

That would make sense.

I frankly think a military officer self insert is much more interesting than a male high school student self insert :p

kuroishinigami 2011-05-13 07:51

As long as he doesn't insert himself Gary Stu :heh: Anyway, the concept seems interesting. Will probably try a volume once I have some time off.

paladinenvec 2011-05-13 07:51

Quote:

I frankly think a military officer self insert is much more interesting than a male high school student self insert
True, and i love to see this translated since i am one of those military and fantasy lovers and seeing both of them in the same book makes me drool...

Roger Rambo 2011-05-13 08:21

I really like the design of the gothic berserker girl. Her names apparently Mercury Rouryi.

Though going by the information on the four fantasy girls featured most prominently on the covers, it seems like this is a harem. Though it honestly shouldn't be to surprising.

KLGChaos 2011-05-13 08:24

The artwork paints an interesting picture... Modern day meets fantasy is a fairly standard trope, but not usually in action works and the mix of military and fantasy (with magic most likely a staple) would be really cool. Anyone have a name for it yet?

Key Board 2011-05-13 09:03

The first post gives you the name

ゲート―自衛隊 彼の地にて、斯く戦えり

Bonta Kun 2011-05-13 09:08

I totally feel like I've seen something very similar to this but can't quite put my finger on it.
Well it's got 2 of my favorite settings mixed together, modern day military and a Tolkien fantasy world.
I've read Witchcraft Troops(not the title I'm was trying to think of above) which is got slightly more modern warfare with fantasy world, which is not bad but not very good either.

This looks very good tho, it's got very nice cover and not everyday you see a female elf with a rocket launcher:heh:

It also it kinda reminds me of ID with the fantasy fusion that goes on in that, just without the modern day stuff.

I'll have to keep a eye on this one.

Google translates the series as mostly Self-Defense Forces in His Area

KLGChaos 2011-05-13 09:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Key Board (Post 3610813)
The first post gives you the name

ゲート―自衛隊 彼の地にて、斯く戦えり

I meant in English. :P I can't read or speak Japanese.

Google Translate says -- Gate- Self-Defense Forces in his area

Not a great translation, but I'm assuming it's called "Gate" with the rest being a subtitle.

Key Board 2011-05-13 09:44

here you go

http://tinyurl.com/superelventank

Magin 2011-05-14 00:29

Well, this certainly seems very interesting... then again, with a plot like that, a LN couldn't help but be good. Now maybe we'll get lucky enough to see BT or someone pick this up...

Roger Rambo 2011-05-14 08:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magin (Post 3611684)
Well, this certainly seems very interesting... then again, with a plot like that, a LN couldn't help but be good. Now maybe we'll get lucky enough to see BT or someone pick this up...

Hopefully. Of course there are ALLOT of series of Bakatsuki that haven't even gotten the first volume translated :heh:

besurvivor 2011-05-14 10:56

hey guys i just found a video about this novel when i google it sadly i dont know what it say

Cosmic Eagle 2011-05-14 12:17

It's basically the summary that has been posted above by others.....

Now this looks fun......

Roger Rambo 2011-05-15 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle (Post 3612259)
Now this looks fun......

Indeed.

I REALLY hope this series doesn't go completley under the radar in the west.

besurvivor 2011-05-15 10:44

ic thx for the summary

ya me too this series looks very interesting since it has the both genre i like so i hope someone will pick this one up

Xagzan 2011-05-15 12:21

Same here. This looks very fun.

LoweGear 2011-05-24 02:29

If this never gets translated for us here, I declare injustice :T_T:

MrTerrorist 2011-05-24 02:50

BTW, i think we should give this light novel a proper name since calling it "Unknown modernn military/fantasy anime styled light novel" is a mouthful.

What should we call it?