AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=94368)

Kameruka 2010-06-05 00:41

FIFA World Cup 2010 South Africa

(If there is an older thread about the same thing, please merged this to the older one)

I'm surprised there aren't many soccer fans in this place. Maybe it may too early for this discussion but I think I want to talk about it anyway.

I have possibility that England might lucky enough to get to quarter-final as their captain was hospitalized recently. I also predict that Ivory Coast might not survive the group stage as Drogba also hospitalized.

And please, as FIFA said earlier, please 'say no to racism'. I don't want this thread fill with racist comments.

Mentar 2010-06-05 02:27

Oh, the soccer discussions will pick up when the curtain is lifted in SA. There's just not all that much to be said now, except for a handful of injuries and alot of test game results which actually mean exactly zip ^_^;

Slowly beginning to look forward to it, too, though.

Mystique 2010-06-05 05:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameruka (Post 3078782)
(If there is an older thread about the same thing, please merged this to the older one)

I'm surprised there aren't many soccer fans in this place. Maybe it may too early for this discussion but I think I want to talk about it anyway.

I have possibility that England might lucky enough to get to quarter-final as their captain was hospitalized recently. I also predict that Ivory Coast might not survive the group stage as Drogba also hospitalized.

And please, as FIFA said earlier, please 'say no to racism'. I don't want this thread fill with racist comments.

The football thread is there (football as in british english), we've all been talking about the WC for weeks now. :\
So this may get merged into it, or the mods may leave it be as it's a special event.
Us footy fans are all here, as mentioned in above post, let the 11th come around and then we'll dance :D

As for racism, what am I missing here? O.o

TinyRedLeaf 2010-06-05 08:26

Narona started the World Cup 2010 thread half a year ago, back when the final draw was released. That seems like the most likely place to merge this latest thread, rather than the football thread, which focuses more on club and league tournaments.

I would have loved to buy myself a Three Lions T-shirt while in London, but I didn't see any. Ah well, most of them are probably made in China anyway — which means I'm likely find them cheaper here in Singapore.

That said, I profess no particular love for England (the team). They just happen to be a convenient team to support since 'most every red-blooded male (and female) here follows the English Premier League religiously. I do wish Asian teams are stronger; I cheered myself hoarse every game that South Korea played back in 2002. I doubt they'll perform as well this time. After watching the recent friendly between Japan and South Korea, I'd also say that Japan aren't likely to go far either. They lack a playmaker, and they are in the same group with Holland...

The bookies, not surprisingly, are backing Spain to win, while Brazil remain hot favourites. Argentina may turn out to be dark horses, and Portugal may also trot out unexpected results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystique (Post 3079035)
As for racism, what am I missing here? O.o

A lot, evidently. But the less said about the topic the better. :heh:

EDIT: OH SH*T. I just realised I've been dumb enough to agree to attend a wedding dinner on June 12, when England face United States (6.30pm GMT). Arrrgh. Will have to find some bar nearby to catch the game.

germanturkey 2010-06-05 09:14

i'mma have a world cup party with my friends come england vs US. i'm excited.

Kyero Fox 2010-06-05 09:53

i dont understand why people make fun of soccer as much as golf. their both clearly sports that take lots of skill. guess their just football freaks who punch each other when a their team gets a touch down to celebrate...

Haak 2010-06-05 09:54

Kind of horrifying to learn that Rio was injured and out. That captain band is sure being passed around a lot. I wonder if Gerrard will be happy being a captain for being the 3rd default. But I guess our luck isn't nearly as bad as Ivory Coasts, so I guess I can't complain.

SaintessHeart 2010-06-05 10:17

I probably won't be catching it live this year because the local providers are charging a catgirl for the prices.

$88 dollars to watching a temporary set of matches? No thank you. I would actually pay if their executives are willing to impart some of the costs into overhauling their internet servers and helpdesk department : I had enough of stupid answers, frequent disconnections when gaming and sharing my bandwidth with drama-loving couch potatoes.

Bri 2010-06-05 12:03

Going to watch the world cup with a group of friends. We will be rotating whose house to crash to spread to relieve the pressure on the (beer) supplies. Off course only places with HD TV are acceptable. I'm really looking forward to it, will be a month of fun and excitement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyero Fox (Post 3079263)
i dont understand why people make fun of soccer as much as golf. their both clearly sports that take lots of skill. guess their just football freaks who punch each other when a their team gets a touch down to celebrate...

Clearly those people must be alien freaks :twitch:. I can understand hating football, that's just a different form of love :D But making fun of it?... What's next, they find eating, breathing or sleeping funny too? :p

Terrestrial Dream 2010-06-05 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf (Post 3079172)
Narona started the World Cup 2010 thread half a year ago, back when the final draw was released. That seems like the most likely place to merge this latest thread, rather than the football thread, which focuses more on club and league tournaments.

I would have loved to buy myself a Three Lions T-shirt while in London, but I didn't see any. Ah well, most of them are probably made in China anyway — which means I'm likely find them cheaper here in Singapore.

That said, I profess no particular love for England (the team). They just happen to be a convenient team to support since 'most every red-blooded male (and female) here follows the English Premier League religiously. I do wish Asian teams are stronger; I cheered myself hoarse every game that South Korea played back in 2002. I doubt they'll perform as well this time. After watching the recent friendly between Japan and South Korea, I'd also say that Japan aren't likely to go far either. They lack a playmaker, and they are in the same group with Holland...

South Korea has a good chance of getting to the next round. This probably is one of the most talented Korean squad ever with many players with European experiences. We just need to avoid injuries and make sure that all our players are 100% fit, if Korea can do that we can have a great World Cup.

Japan on other hand, after their recent matches I think their expectation shouldn't be high. Sad thing is that their coach wanted a top four finish but most likely they will end as 4th place... in their group that is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaintessHeart (Post 3079294)
I probably won't be catching it live this year because the local providers are charging a catgirl for the prices.

$88 dollars to watching a temporary set of matches? No thank you. I would actually pay if their executives are willing to impart some of the costs into overhauling their internet servers and helpdesk department : I had enough of stupid answers, frequent disconnections when gaming and sharing my bandwidth with drama-loving couch potatoes.

Online streaming my friend :cool:

fertygo 2010-06-05 12:55

Very excited with these year event, But people like Maradona, Dunga and Lippi ruin the fun :uhoh:
Spain or underrated team like Serbia better win for Football sake.

Master_Yoma 2010-06-05 21:37

I dont think my TV can get the world cup is it going to be on ESPN or some thing

yoropa 2010-06-06 01:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master_Yoma (Post 3080072)
I dont think my TV can get the world cup is it going to be on ESPN or some thing

Exact reasons why I'm working to set up my satellite again. I know foreign stations that will show every match. You could always watch a stream of it online, those aren't too hard to find. I had to do that for many preliminaries I wanted to see.

I made my list of general play matches I'm interested in seeing. When the second stage begins, I probably would watch all of them, depending on the teams in it. Until the first match with South Africa and Mexico begins, I'm biding my time watching nationalistic World Cup music videos from other countries. Super Junior, Nancy Ajram, Jessy Matador, K'naan, you know what I'm talking about.

I've been blessed with the lucky chance to talk to a lot of internationals about this event, and have been hearing such a variety of opinions about the matches and their interest levels. I think the best though is from the British guy I know, who said, "It's funny how Americans think they can beat us. It's a really cute concept when you think about it. They stand no chance."

Of course, despite that, still going to support USA heavily for that match (and probably only that match). I'm really excited for Brazil v. North Korea because that's a matchup that is so mind-blowing in nature I can't believe it's actually happening. I'm not gonna root for a specific side during that one, just sit back and enjoy what should be some extremely interesting football. ;)

SaintessHeart 2010-06-06 02:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream (Post 3079430)
Online streaming my friend :cool:

Read this lol (and laugh at the headlines if you want to) :

Football fans 'red card' telcos

Quote:

While most people around the world are celebrating the imminent start of World Cup 2010 in South Africa, a group of Singapore football fans gathered yesterday afternoon to express their unhappiness.

Some 200 people were at Speakers' Corner in Hong Lim Park to protest against the seven-fold increase in the price of watching the sport's biggest tournament since the most recent one in Germany four years ago.

One participant, Ms Jess Chua, who was decked in a T-shirt with 'Show telcos the red card' emblazoned across the front, was there with her 58-year-old father to support the movement that started on Facebook.
As for online streaming, my internet connection is too FUBAR to be able to watch there. My ISP is similar to the one which offered that $88 fag deal...they couldn't even fix their server overloads despite offering unlimited bandwidth, yet they claim to have the fastest connection in the entire island.

What is the use of that kind of speed when the tube tunneling simply sucks?

Tsuyoshi 2010-06-06 03:33

Exactly as I told Narona in this thread, I'm still of the opinion Slovakia's gonna rip Italy a new one, as much as it pains me to say it T_T

-KarumA- 2010-06-06 05:51

Holland's Arjan Robben might not be playing >:
Right in the last minutes against their pre match with Hungary he did a heel kick wrongly and fell down, he might be out of the games
I hope not, without him I don't know how long we will last D:

Kusa-San 2010-06-06 07:18

I'm rooting for Spain :)

About France, I don't even think that we will pass our pool so....But at least Domenech will leave after this world cup :D

Tsuyoshi 2010-06-06 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kusa-San (Post 3080664)
I'm rooting for Spain :)

About France, I don't even think that we will pass our pool so....But at least Domenech will leave after this world cup :D

Spain is good. They dominated Europe and had the longest winning streak in a while until the US broke it, which is also why I'm rooting for them too.

SaintessHeart 2010-06-06 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo (Post 3081141)
Spain is good. They dominated Europe and had the longest winning streak in a while until the US broke it, which is also why I'm rooting for them too.

If they make it to the finals I am betting. :heh:

Kyero Fox 2010-06-06 17:32

im rooting for the team that wins :D