AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Playback Help (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Subtitles don't load (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=15249)

mirichan 2004-06-10 08:30

Subtitles don't load

Hello... I need help. Hopefully someone can help.

Two weeks ago, I had to reinstall Windows XP on my computer as I was having serious crashing problems.

Before that, I was running Windows Media Player 9, and WMP Classic and I was able to run/watch all .mkv & .ogm files with the latter. I loved that program since I was able to modify the color & font of subtitles which can be really helpful...

Now, after the XP reinstall, I went and reinstalled these same two programs. But now, I'm unable to load any subtitles with WMP Classic. The option is greyed out... even if I ensure that the output/Direct Show Video is switched to either WMR 7 or 9 renderless, the option is still greyed out.

So I moved to VideoLan and would have been satisfied if not for the fact I have no idea how I can modify subtitles' color/font with it (it's so easy with WMP Classic).

After VideoLan worked, I tried again with WMP Classic... I even installed FFDshow, and all the filters down to Level 4...

But I still can't load the subtitles...

So I guess it's a cry for help... either does anyone have an idea how to make WMP Classic work (I mean, if the video card was able to "render" the subtitles before, why would it not be able to now?) or otherwise is there an easy way (no techno-babble, no programming, please) to modify the look of subtitles with VideoLan (I got totally confused by their FAQ... too techno/nerdy for me, sorry).

_Sin_ 2004-06-10 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirichan
Hello... I need help. Hopefully someone can help.

Two weeks ago, I had to reinstall Windows XP on my computer as I was having serious crashing problems.

Before that, I was running Windows Media Player 9, and WMP Classic and I was able to run/watch all .mkv & .ogm files with the latter. I loved that program since I was able to modify the color & font of subtitles which can be really helpful...

Now, after the XP reinstall, I went and reinstalled these same two programs. But now, I'm unable to load any subtitles with WMP Classic. The option is greyed out... even if I ensure that the output/Direct Show Video is switched to either WMR 7 or 9 renderless, the option is still greyed out.

So I moved to VideoLan and would have been satisfied if not for the fact I have no idea how I can modify subtitles' color/font with it (it's so easy with WMP Classic).

After VideoLan worked, I tried again with WMP Classic... I even installed FFDshow, and all the filters down to Level 4...

But I still can't load the subtitles...

So I guess it's a cry for help... either does anyone have an idea how to make WMP Classic work (I mean, if the video card was able to "render" the subtitles before, why would it not be able to now?) or otherwise is there an easy way (no techno-babble, no programming, please) to modify the look of subtitles with VideoLan (I got totally confused by their FAQ... too techno/nerdy for me, sorry).

Some guy exactly above your thread had the same problem and I offered an answer there for ogm. Try it out, too.

The only occasion I needed to use .mkv codecs was when TW subbed a Naruto special in that format. Fortunately they included the codec as a torrent here

Edit:
I forgot to add: Use the Media Player Classic to playback the mkv files not WMP 9

mirichan 2004-06-10 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Sin_
Some guy exactly above your thread had the same problem and I offered an answer there for ogm.
Edit:
I forgot to add: Use the Media Player Classic to playback the mkv files not WMP 9

I have been running the installation exactly like the Media configuration specified for over a year, without problems.

And I don't use WMP 9 for ogm or mkv.

The problem has nothing to do with codecs since I only have FFDshow installed and it was not even installed when I tried WMP Classic.

It's something else that has to do with XP reinstall. I'll probably have to stick with VideoLan even though I can't easily change the subs fonts/color.

_Sin_ 2004-06-10 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirichan
I have been running the installation exactly like the Media configuration specified for over a year, without problems.

And I don't use WMP 9 for ogm or mkv.

The problem has nothing to do with codecs since I only have FFDshow installed and it was not even installed when I tried WMP Classic.

It's something else that has to do with XP reinstall. I'll probably have to stick with VideoLan even though I can't easily change the subs fonts/color.

Did you try installing the codecs I recommended like OggDS and the Matroska Playback Pack or are you just saying that it has nothing to do with codecs?

As far as I know VideoLan comes with "built-in codecs" and it seems to work for you. Why not try installing those codecs manually and use your favourite player? ;)