AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Past Macross Series (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163)
-   -   Macross Frontier Character Discussion - Ranka Lee (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=64736)

4Tran 2008-04-04 16:08

Macross Frontier Character Discussion - Ranka Lee

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Ranka related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Macross fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!

Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode / chapter / game talk, there are other threads for that stuff.

Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.

• Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

IHaveCrayons 2008-04-05 15:34

I thought she was very cute and bouncy; pretty attached to her already in but one episode. I wonder what use she'll have in the coming episodes or will she be a hindrance?

Onizuka-GTO 2008-04-05 15:56

What i want to know is how she's related to her "Onii-chan", it's obvious her mother was an Zentradi.

I'm guessing perhaps he's her step-brother? same father, but with a human mother?

Or perhaps the son of the father's previous relationship?

or maybe it's it's simply an adoption?

it's also very easy to see she's filling in for minmay shoes, but it;s like they had decided to "split" the character, instead of having one character like minmay, they had two.

I've also got the feeling the officer who attends sheryl is also involved.

i wonder if this is going to be a four-way cat-fight?

the Lieutenant, the Singer, the girl who works in the Chinese restaurant?

All for Altro? the girly man?
:p

I wonder if Lanca lee's brother going to do a Roy Focker Death?

that'll be interesting to see. :rolleyes:

Westlo 2008-04-05 15:59

Relationship chart on this spread mikoo posted in the image thread.

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08145/scan2467.jpg.xs.jpg

Can anyone translate? :D

pinoy78 2008-04-05 19:36

This flow chart was at TAF a couple of days ago (click to expand).

http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/502...7623131_th.jpg

orion 2008-04-06 08:55

I think that Lanka will be a mix of Minmei and Mylene.

Lanka's seiyuu is already singing a Minmei song. The second ending was sounding similar to the Protoculture song from Macross: Do you remember love? that Minmei sang while she was captured.

I'm betting that Lanka also does a partial Mylene on us and the fighting will be over her more than Aruto (Alto). I can easily see big bro saying "No Lanka, I think that Michael is a better choice for you." They milked Mylene's dilemma over a Macross 7 TV, Macross Dynamite, Macross Encore, Macross 7 movie. This also would remind everybody about Macross Plus.

Aruto has a personality that not to many people can get close too so his options are the forgiving nice types. Lanka is just a sweetheart so anyone will go after her.

Besides it looks like Lanka has a different school uniform on than Aruto so their interactions will be after school.

Westlo 2008-04-06 10:21

Going by the chart from my post above it looks like Michael & Nanase could happen, though I have no idea what the words next to the arrows say.. could just say classmate since they go to the same school.

You really don't think Alto will be the main focus of the triangle especially with the reworked concert scene?

DonQuigleone 2008-04-06 19:06

I'm not sure if Ranka is half Zentradi, she doesn't have pointy ears like Michael and the others have. On the other hand, she does have green hair.

So far she does seem to be similiar to Minmay, even her voice is similiar, of course this could all change. For one thing she doesn't seem quite as self absorbed...

orion 2008-04-06 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westlo (Post 1514186)
You really don't think Alto will be the main focus of the triangle especially with the reworked concert scene?

Mylene has proven that a cute Meltlandi-human teen with a good personality can carry indecisivesness thru a series and numerous sequels much to my dismay since I like resolutions. :heh:

Lanca even got her own manga just like Mylene.

And in the end, people still remember Minmei more than what's-her-name.

My bet is still on Lanca. More marketable and guys tend to focus more on the females in titles nowadays. She also is more accessible.

Besides that concert scene didn't really show that he had feeling for anyone other than Lanca. Sure he saved Sheryl but he also knocked her off the stage IIRC. He's flying around with a chick in his arms and he looks at the audience instead. Sheryl is like this unreachable person with no chance of a productive private life so only an idiot would go out with her just like Minmei.

But didn't Macross have 3 triangles going with the main triangle event being focused on Hikaru?

Westlo 2008-04-06 23:28

Well yeah Alto and Sheryl haven't exactly got off to the best start but you could say the same for Hikaru and Hayase.

Quote:

My bet is still on Lanca. More marketable and guys tend to focus more on the females in titles nowadays. She also is more accessible.
Right now she is, Minmay was also accessible at the start of the original, Lanca is clearly being set up to be the Minmay of this series, I expect the same stuff to happen to her as her star rises while if anything Sheryl goes into free fall and becomes more accessible instead of the unreachable person she is right now.

Quote:

And in the end, people still remember Minmei more than what's-her-name.
:(

It's Hayase!

Quote:

But didn't Macross have 3 triangles going with the main triangle event being focused on Hikaru?
Wouldn't square be the right term for Macross?

DonQuigleone 2008-04-07 02:36

I can't remember any other triangle besides the MinmayXHikaruXHayase with Kaifun at the side? It feels like it's being set up as RankaXAltoXSheryl but they might pull a twist on our expectations, weirder things have happened.

herbert 2008-04-07 03:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquigleone (Post 1516055)
I can't remember any other triangle besides the MinmayXHikaruXHayase with Kaifun at the side? It feels like it's being set up as RankaXAltoXSheryl but they might pull a twist on our expectations, weirder things have happened.

BasaraXMyleneXGamlin.

Wait and see, it's still too early to make guess M-Frontier pairing. Perhaps Lanka has no interest on trap, maybe she likes yuri.

Westlo 2008-04-07 03:51

He means in the original series, I'm sure he knows about IsamuXMyungXGuld for one.

herbert 2008-04-07 03:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westlo (Post 1516140)
He means in the original series, I'm sure he knows about IsamuXMyungXGuld for one.

Well, you are right. I wasn't careful enough when reading your and his/her posts.

faustianideals 2008-04-07 04:07

I've never watched any of the other Macross series, so I can't really compare Lanca Lee to old characters.

Altro is definitely going to be Lanca's door to some action, that's for sure. Romantically tied together though? I can't see that. Girly man and girly girl don't work well together. I mean, sure, they can buy their shoes together but that's it.

Shoes, OMG~! Let's buy some shoes!

Shiroth 2008-04-07 05:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by faustianideals (Post 1516156)
Romantically tied together though? I can't see that. Girly man and girly girl don't work well together. I mean, sure, they can buy their shoes together but that's it.

You yourself just pointed out that you haven't seen any of the other Macross shows, so you don't know how the love triangles in the shows plays out. It doesn't matter if Alto looks femine, that has nothing to do with it.

DonQuigleone 2008-04-07 12:24

Macross doesn't tend to resolve romance in the most predictable manner, in the original
Spoiler for Romance:
it wasn't even a typical romance in that neither Misa or Minmay were (and still aren't) typical romantic leads.

orion 2008-04-07 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westlo (Post 1515803)
Wouldn't square be the right term for Macross?

Whats-her-name had a mini triangle, Hikaru had a major triangle and Minmei has an incomplete triangle.

Lanca is more Mylene with that mascot than Minmei. So I'm betting on the long Macross 7 triangle of Basura x Mylene x Gamlin (boring guy).

So that means...

Aruto x Lanca x ? as the major triangle. Sheryl could be there to help Lanca's development along for all we know and does not need to be involved in any romantic things. When you think about it, Aruto and Basara have similar qualities of being set on a certain goal and not looking for love particularily.

Besides Minmei and Mylene fans are going to want a better resolution this time around.

We also have the character relationship balance to look at. Long hair males are linked with short hair females and vice versa. Tsundere males are linked with gentle/moe females.

Westlo 2008-04-07 22:39

I don't know why you're counting Sheryl out so easily, my gut feeling tells me she will end up with Alto. If they were going to pull a fast one and have one of the 2 lead girls not be romantically involved with Alto (I highly doubt that) I'll say it would be Lanca at this point. I don't see why Sheryl would still interact with Alto if she wasn't interested whereas Lanca has lots of reasons to stay in touch just as friends. What will happen next episode, Nanase goes to the same school (could be same class), her brother seems to know Michael and co and it's obvious Alto will get to know him etc.

Quote:

Long hair males are linked with short hair females and vice versa
Better hope that the Princess doesn't get a haircut at some point :D

Quote:

Whats-her-name had a mini triangle, Hikaru had a major triangle and Minmei has an incomplete triangle.
Yeah but Hayase and Minmei's "3rd wheel" were both Kaifun so wouldn't that make it a square of sorts as opposed to one concrete triangle + 2 loose ones?

lubczyk 2008-04-10 03:16

Alto is going to end up with Lanca. It's so obvious. There's no way that the male Japanese-styled lead (Alto) would end with with a foreign woman (Sheryl). Lanca being moe is also a dead ringer that she's the main female lead.

I can't name one anime where the Japanese-styled lead ended up with the foreign woman. In the original they even played Menmei as being Chinese so Hayase was going to win by default.

Every culture has their media reflect their own respective ideals and archetypes. I expect Macross Frontier to be no different.

I expect their to be a love triangle between Sherly, Alto and Lanca, but I'm 99% sure Lanca is going to win. It feels like a dead giveaway from the first episode.

Lance might have a Chinese surname, but she and Alto are closer to the ideal Japanese couple than Alto and Sheryl.

The long-hair and short-hair relationship that posters above me posted is also a good indicator.