AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Need help with computer... (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=9438)

HopelessLover 2004-03-15 16:22

Need help with computer...

I want to simultanously play Monopoly with my cousin using the 2 computers in my house with out messing around with the internet, but I don't have a clue how I go and do it. I know I have to set up a lan connection but how do i do it? I have 10/100 enthernet adapters on both computers (different brand name adapters), and 3 long network cables to connect them, and both computers have windows xp. Can some one please help me? BTW, the game I have installed monopoly 3 on both computers.

RavenChild 2004-03-15 16:25

try the support forum. there is one believe it or not. if you aren't using a hub then you need crossover cables.

Jinto 2004-03-15 16:26

Without a switch or hub between the two PCs you'll need a so called cross over LAN cable. There is one RJ45 twisted so that the outgoing traffic of the one PC is directed to the ingoing part of the other PC and vice versa. With normal LAN cables you will connect ingoing with ingoing and outgoing with outgoing... so the data will a) collide and b) never reach its destination.

HopelessLover 2004-03-15 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinto Lin
Without a switch or hub between the two PCs you'll need a so called cross over LAN cable. There is one RJ45 twisted so that the outgoing traffic of the one PC is directed to the ingoing part of the other PC and vice versa. With normal LAN cables you will connect ingoing with ingoing and outgoing with outgoing... so the data will a) collide and b) never reach its destination.

Like I said I already have 3 of those lan cables, but I don't know what to do with them to set up computers so we both can play monopoly at the same time on the same game.

Jinto 2004-03-15 16:47

plug one of the crossover cables in the two PCs. Then you will give both PCs static IPs like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and set a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0 actually Windows XP will do most of the stuff by itself. Very important is to share the same workgroup. Because Windows thinks in workgroups... so do most of the games running on Windows.

HopelessLover 2004-03-15 16:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinto Lin
plug one of the crossover cables in the two PCs. Then you will give both PCs static IPs like 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and set a subnetmask of 255.255.255.0 actually Windows XP will do most of the stuff by itself. Very important is to share the same workgroup. Because Windows thinks in workgroups... so do most of the games running on Windows.

Can you please be more descriptive becuase I don't know much about computers.

Jinto 2004-03-15 17:09

well I could describe it in detail in german... but I have no clue how MS called the things in the english version of Windows XP

you may find your answers following this link:

http://www.cellarstoneindia.com/cabl...%20to%20XP.pdf

Lexander 2004-03-15 18:32

You're setting up a lan so you can play monopoly. omg lolz.

chris 2004-03-15 18:40

go do yourself a favor, buy a router, i am almost posidive that you dont want me to go into a great deal on networking in windows so. Assuming you have a roughter hook ur to comps up with the rj45 cable to the roughter in the lan ports. There should be a wan port on ur router as well that is the wide area network, hook ur home cable/ dsl modem to the wan port with 1 rj 45 cable. Now in xp go to control panal > system > computer name > change. Then make your workgroup name the same. make shure ur on a workgroup not a domain. That is all the information i can give you because it depends now on if the game you want to play supports lan play... if not ur sol if so have soleone be the host and the other join.

well thats all the help im willing to give.