AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Your favourite Movie and TV opening sequences. (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=82895)

Gordy Lechance 2009-06-18 00:36

Your favourite Movie and TV opening sequences.

Sometimes the opening sequence of a movie or TV show stays with you long after the memories of the actual contents are over. Not surprising as it is meant to grab your attention.

Here we share our favourite opening sequences; one or two every few days to keep this thread fun and alive.

To start off:

The heartbreaking opening sequence to Terminator 2 Judgement Day. Nothing drives the message to make the world a better place for our children than the imagery of a burning playground juxtiposed to Brad Fidel's gentle yet soulful re-endtion to the Terminator Theme.

The opening theme to MacGyver. Randy Edelman's unapologetically idealistic and upbeat music, coupled with truly exciting action and gadgetary really makes that 1980's kid in you want to a hero too. :)

How about yours?

More to come later. ;)

Dilla 2009-06-18 01:00

I totally agree with you on the Terminator 2 opening. Really hard to match that.

Anyhoo:

Call me corny, but the Space Jam opening really stuck with me. Probably becuase Michael Jordan was the face of professional sports back then, and was basically viewed as every kid's basketball hero. Saw the movie in theaters three times.:D

Wanted to added NARC as well, while many dislike the handheld when used in movies, I think it did a good job of portraying the frantic chase that Jason Patric's character doing. And it was pretty gritty in terms of content.

This was my grandfather's favorite show back in the day, and I used to watch it with him. While I liked the show well enough, it was the theme song that stuck with me longer than any other scene there.

Also, the small, country town I grew up in (Washington, NC) fits the setting to a tee.

Gordy Lechance 2009-06-18 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dilla (Post 2458480)
Anyhoo:

Call me corny, but the Space Jam opening really stuck with me. Probably becuase Michael Jordan was the face of professional sports back then, and was basically viewed as every kid's basketball hero. Saw the movie in theaters three times.:D

Oh, I only saw it twice. :(

Good On Ya, Mate!! :)

Vexx 2009-06-18 01:05

For me, I'm going all the way back to 1968 and the opening sequence of 2001: A Space Odyssey. You have to put your mind back in 1968 in a 70mm state of the art *LARGE* theatre (not the boxes of today). This opener just blew people's minds up it was so different from anything else they'd seen on the big screen up to that point. I think the next film to even come close to that was the very first Star Wars when it was released in 1977.

And one of my favorite openers to one of my favorite offbeat films of all time: Kelly's Heroes.

Gordy Lechance 2009-06-18 03:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 2458486)
For me, I'm going all the way back to 1968 and the opening sequence of 2001: A Space Odyssey. You have to put your mind back in 1968 in a 70mm state of the art *LARGE* theatre (not the boxes of today). This opener just blew people's minds up it was so different from anything else they'd seen on the big screen up to that point. I think the next film to even come close to that was the very first Star Wars when it was released in 1977.

Ah, 2001, along with The Bugs Bunny Show cultivated my love for classical music. ;)

And oh sir, if you want to see a 70mm print of 2001 Space Odyssey, and have a chance to pop down to the city of Melbourne in Australia, look up the following website:

http://www.astor-theatre.com/

This theatre regularly screens 2001 along with a whole host of other classics.

Well worth a visit for the film-lover who comes to Melbourne. :)

Vexx 2009-06-18 17:17

Whoa... there's still a full 70mm theatre in the world? Marked as a must-visit if I ever round down to Australia then.

edit: wow, this is a GREAT theatre with all of its classic feature runs.

GuidoHunter_Toki 2009-06-18 18:16

A Clockwork Orange: In my opinion one of the most iconic, utterly gorgeous opening shots in the history of cinema (a shame I couldn't find a video of it to post). I love the distinctive interior design and the look of Alex and his gang. It's a straightforward tracking shot, starting on a close up of Alex's face, made-up and staring malevolently out at the audience, and pulls slowly back to reveal the gang, the bar, other customers and and a white-clad bouncer. It's simple, but it's still cinematic perfection.

Blue Velvet: This is one of the best in allegorical opening sequences. In this one sequence Lynch sets the tone for the entire film, an astonishing exploration of the darkside of everyday life.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: When I saw this movie for the first time this scene scared the living cripes out of me and is one of the reasons I consider this movie a horror masterpiece.

Ong-Bak: The music and camera movements make for a masterfully done opening sequence.

I also agree with Terminator 2. Some other honorable mentions I'll give are Saving Private Ryan, Se7en, An American Werewolf in london, Bladerunner, American Beauty, and American Psycho.

It seems I only did movies. Oh well, I'll post some of my favorite TV openings at another time.

GreatTeacherKen 2009-06-18 22:33

My favorite is far sillier than the examples people have given so far, but I've always found the the first 2 minutes of Shoot Em Up to be highly amusing, and sets the tone for the rest of the movie quite well (hilariously over the top :p).

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E7binKYegA]

james0246 2009-06-18 23:31

How the heck do you do Youtube inserts?

Strong seconds for 2001 and Blue Velvet.

Anyway...

Television (in no real order):

Spoiler for Long...:

Films (not emphasizing music quite as much...also in random order):

Spoiler for Long...:

edit: finally know how to embed youtube videos...but now I am too tired from linking all the videos instead...sorry :).

-KarumA- 2009-06-19 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0246 (Post 2460343)
How the heck do you do Youtube inserts?

you use youtube tags and the numbers in a youtube link
example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdPWrAMXGGo
vdPWrAMXGGo goes into tags

(youtube)vdPWrAMXGGo(/youtube)

but beware sometimes it doesnt work right on forums, I sometimes hear no sound which means I will have to clean out all my cookies and not watch it here but on youtube itself

as for the movie, I loved it I was too scared to leave the house afterwards

Vexx 2009-06-19 02:12

Quite a few of these are giving out the "embedding disabled by request" bullshit error message. Just fyi...

Westlo 2009-06-19 03:01

*sees threads*
*thinks to myself I'm gonna rage if no MacGyver is in this thread after 10 posts*
*sees in OP post*

Good man!

james0246 2009-06-19 03:17

^Using similar logic, here's one for the ages...

Gordy Lechance 2009-06-20 07:22

Today...

Please, Mr Michael Bay, make a live action adaptation of this!! :)

Heartwarming relaxation defined... :cool:
Too bad Rob Morrow had to leave for a short-live movie career. :(

Tsukase 2009-06-20 13:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQBQlFZyZ-c

the theme song of the best movie i've ever seen!!!
The Goonies =]

Gordy Lechance 2009-06-22 03:17

Today...

Hail Don Adams, up in Heaven. You will be missed. :)

Goodnight out there... whatever you are. Muhuhwahahahahaha!! :p

Kusa-San 2009-06-22 07:15

This thread is for me :D Ok some of them that I really likes :

Spoiler:

And there is many many other :D

Narona 2009-06-22 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordy Lechance (Post 2458452)
The opening theme to MacGyver. Randy Edelman's unapologetically idealistic and upbeat music, coupled with truly exciting action and gadgetary really makes that 1980's kid in you want to a hero too. :)

How about yours?

My father loves this series :D

Anyways, here some I like

The Star Wars openings

So simple, and yet so awesome :nod:

The Corpse Bride

I love Danny Elfman music.

Forrest Gump

Titanic

Spoiler for And the ending scene as a bonus :3:

<3

O'Brother

I didn't find the opening, but here another scene :3

Ocean Eleven

Didn't find the opening on youtube =(

Woopzilla 2009-06-22 09:43

Airwolf

I really liked the intro music to this. :D

And a cool guitar version of it.

Gordy Lechance 2009-06-22 17:31

For those of us who pre-bought our tickets 3 weeks ago for today....

Transform and Roll Out!! :)

Dilla 2009-06-23 20:33

klowny 2009-06-23 21:50

I like Sealab 2021's theme

also Batman Beyond

and Fresh Prince of Bel Air

CrowKenobi 2009-06-23 21:55

I would say that any TV theme by Mike Post was gold... :D

Such as the themes from:

The A-Team
CHiPs
Black Sheep Squadron
Hardcastle & McCormick

:cool:

Gordy Lechance 2009-06-24 23:32

Today...

80's Japan/America collaborations.... priceless.

Only in the lovably goofy 1950's would a show about a talking horse get off the ground...

ET's got nothing on this cool dude!!

Gordy Lechance 2009-06-27 03:46

15 years before Sunrise brought us Cowboy Bebop

They gave us this:

Please pick this up too, Michael Bay!! ;)

Mystique 2009-06-27 08:44

Okay, my friend just reminded me of this with the monkey dance xD
*does the monkey dance*

GuidoHunter_Toki 2009-06-27 11:24

One of my favorite openings to a show. House has an opening with very surreal music and nice artistic effects that gives off an almost dream like quality.

Another one of my favorite openings to a show is Samurai Jack. Such an awesome show with an awesome opening.

Star Trek Enterprise may not have been one of my fazvorite Star Trek programs, but it had one of my favorite Star Trek openings.

And of course there is JAG. Used to watch this show all the time with my dad and I always found the opening catchy.

Dilla 2009-06-27 12:07

I'll probably get heat from the lovers of the original Jonny Quest, but I was seven years old when this premiered. So I thought it was epic, especially this opening.

Sazelyt 2009-06-27 12:36

So, I guess Kubrick gets the nod for having the best pieces from a director, Clockwork Orange (art of cruelty), Shining (completely unrelated to the rest, or like from heaven to hell), 2001 (beginning tells the all), Dr. Strangelove...So, I guess you need to check his other movies too, to evaluate the trend.

About the opening scene to Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original one), that scene is one of the reasons why I postponed watching the movie a few times until I gave up.

For me, I always admired the opening scenes to a Bond movie. One of the recent ones I enjoyed was Ghost Ship's opening scene (would be one of the greatest, if they had used a different approach to include everything that happened on the ship at the beginning, instead of just one), while playing a song like Sweet Dreams from Marlyn Manson (even though it was used to end the House on the Haunted Hill, and even though its clip had a greater impact than the movie).

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki (Post 2475706)
One of my favorite openings to a show. House has an opening with very surreal music and nice artistic effects that gives off an almost dream like quality.

Massive Attack's Tear Drop, a great opening theme.

Kirarakim 2009-06-27 14:07

Two of my favorites from Hitchcock

As for TV I can't find a youtube video for it but I love The X-Files opening credits.

Gordy Lechance 2009-06-28 05:51

Majestic...

The opening to the last good Star Trek. :)

GuidoHunter_Toki 2009-06-28 17:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fipskuul (Post 2475814)
Massive Attack's Tear Drop, a great opening theme.

Indeed. In fact House in general has great songs that are very fitting for the scenes they're used in.

Samari 2009-06-29 06:26

Two movies stand out for me in terms of opening sequences that really pulled me in:

Superman

Mortal Kombat:

As for television I'd say that Star Trek and Dragonball Z always got me pumped:

Sazelyt 2009-06-29 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki (Post 2478199)
Indeed. In fact House in general has great songs that are very fitting for the scenes they're used in.

For me, the history of that song is a bit more complicated. I am not really following House. So the first time I heard that song was while I was watching Prison Break (close to season 1 ending). But, I never paid attention to it as much as I paid attention to, say, Donnie Darko's Mad World (I never looked into it). So, it was a forgotten hit for me until I heard it on the radio a few weeks ago. After a few tries, I found it through Prison Break. The song made me a fan of Massive Attack.

Gordy Lechance 2009-07-01 19:29

While we are still in the midst of the current Transformers craze...

Good GRIEF!! Almost forgot this show existed!! :heh:

Dilla 2009-07-01 21:23

I stopped watching Nip/Tuck regularly after season 3, but the theme highly compatible with the series.

Dude. . .

Nobodyman9 2009-07-01 22:59

I think this thread is right up my ally

Citizen Kane: Best movie ever and one of the best openings ever

Pulp Fiction: Wish I could've gotten the opening credits with Misirlou as well.

Fargo: The music is so haunting.