AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What to do when robbed? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=69799)

Gemstar 2008-08-08 20:20

What to do when robbed?

My friend got robbed last week and that got me concerned and I would like to take initiative and know what preventative measures I can take in order to prevent it happening or escape a situation like it.

james0246 2008-08-08 20:42

Immediate access to a cell phones is a must for any robbery situation. In fact, one of the most important things to do during a robbery is to contact the police. That way, if anything bad happens, the police will already be on their way.

That being said, generally speaking, guns are not a deterrent during an actually robbery. Most people do not want to fire a gun on a person, and due to the kick, it is hard to actually hit a person from a distance. So, a bat or some other large object that is easily visible in the dark is best to use when confronting a robber in your house at night.

Added to that, having a door on your bedroom that can be locked (even deadbolted) is an added level of protection.

Also, an escape plan, from you room, is always beneficial, whether due to fire or a possible attack.

edit: of course, the best option is always escape. If you can escape, always escape. Confrontation is only advisable if there is no other option.

Xellos-_^ 2008-08-08 21:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemstar (Post 1788941)
My friend got robbed last week and that got me concerned and I would like to take initiative and know what preventative measures I can take in order to prevent it happening or escape a situation like it.

You really can't prevent something like that form happening but there is a few things to do make yourself a less likely target and to help (financially recover form a robbery in your home).

1. Make sure all doors and windows are lock and secure when you leave the house or before you go to bed.

2. if you own a home do a review with your agent to make sure everything you have is cover as most insurance policies have limits on certain items like jewelry, artwork, high value collectibles. And make a list of your big items.

3. again if you own your own home, get a burglar/fire alarm install.

4. if you rent a apt, get Renters insurance. They are normally very cheap and help you replace your stuff (limits on high value collectibles) and in the event of something like a fire that makes your un-livable. Emergency food, lodging expenses plus move in expense to a new aprt.

5. if you are home during a robbery, don't bother fighting the guy, hide. your stuff isn't worth your life.

Unless of course it is a figure of our God-Empress, in which case you need to lay down your life for its protection :heh:

Kyuusai 2008-08-08 21:48

- Three 'L's: Locks, Lights, and Law Enforcement.

- Don't advertise your possessions.

- If some one REALY wants in, they can get in. However, most criminals are simply opportunists. Be less of an opportunity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by james3wk (Post 1788963)
That being said, generally speaking, guns are not a deterrent during an actually robbery. Most people do not want to fire a gun on a person, and due to the kick, it is hard to actually hit a person from a distance. So, a bat or some other large object that is easily visible in the dark is best to use when confronting a robber in your house at night.

First: One does NOT use a weapon to deter theft of property unless said property is vital to life. The reason one is allowed in some places to take arms in the case of burglary/home robbery is that the act of invading a home can be considered a practical threat. In most places, though, you would still be sent to jail for killing/seriously injuring an intruder who clearly posed no threat to you, and rightfully so.

Second: While excellence only comes with much practice, gaining proficiency with a firearm is not hard or very time consuming. A firearm is the ideal tool for any situation in which serious harm is a threat, because it puts distance between the defender and the aggressor, and at worst puts them on equal ground regardless of their individual strength and mass. The last thing you want to do is get close enough for an aggressive person to enact violence upon you.

Third, bringing it together: Deadly force should ONLY be used in the protection of life. Lesser force or the threat of force should ONLY be used when necessary. Should force be required, though, use the best tools available to you.

Daniel E. 2008-08-08 21:53

If you plan a long vacation in the future, it's best not to tell your neighbors about it; Word can spread fast and the wrong ears can actually know well in advance that your house will be empty for a long time.

Give your keys to a relative or trusted friend and ask him (if possible) to stay at your house for a few hours from time to time while you are not there.

Demongod86 2008-08-08 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyuusai (Post 1789046)
-

First: One does NOT use a weapon to deter theft of property unless said property is vital to life. The reason one is allowed in some places to take arms in the case of burglary/home robbery is that the act of invading a home can be considered a practical threat. In most places, though, you would still be sent to jail for killing/seriously injuring an intruder who clearly posed no threat to you, and rightfully so.

I disagree here. You have the right to protect your possessions as much as you do your life. Your wallet contains your identity and a lot of stuff that you will be very hard pressed to replace immediately.

So if you have a gun on you, I say give your stuff to the robber. Then when he turns around, drop him. And if you're not allowed to do this, you should be able to by law. That'll make people rob less. Then their life won't be worth your possessions.

james0246 2008-08-08 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyuusai (Post 1789046)

Second: While excellence only comes with much practice, gaining proficiency with a firearm is not hard or very time consuming. A firearm is the ideal tool for any situation in which serious harm is a threat, because it puts distance between the defender and the aggressor, and at worst puts them on equal ground regardless of their individual strength and mass. The last thing you want to do is get close enough for an aggressive person to enact violence upon you.

Third, bringing it together: Deadly force should ONLY be used in the protection of life. Lesser force or the threat of force should ONLY be used when necessary. Should force be required, though, use the best tools available to you.

Not only did I mention two of your three Ls (Locks and Law Enforcement), I also went back and emphasized that escape is always a better option to actually fighting (I used escape in this case just in case the OP was scared of 'mugging' - highway robbery), but if you have to fight, do not use something like a gun due to the fact that it is inefficient and not as useful in the dark (a bat is far more useful for intimidation in a darkened room due to the fact that it is a larger more obvious object, whereas a gun is small and hard to see). There are plenty of other reasons why a gun is not useful (I personally have a great distaste for Guns), but that was not the point of this thread, rather the OP wanted some info and advice on what to do if they were being robbed, so of course a Firearm must be mentioned as well as it advantages and detriments.

Ermes Marana 2008-08-08 22:29

Depends on where you live.

In Texas a guy saw burglars robbing his neighbor's house, and when they were running away with the loot he ran outside and blasted their heads off with a shotgun.

And it was perfectly legal.

I wouldn't try the same thing in any other state though.

Nervous Venus 2008-08-08 22:53

My sister's apartment was broken into once. She said, he (she assumes most people who commit burglary are male) didn't take anything because there was nothing to steal.

Not having anything worth stealing is preventative, lol.

I suppose if you were to come face to face with one, which happened on the street once in front of my face: A friend of mine was mugged on the street,

even if you'd be hardpressed to get whatever it is from your wallet back, it's best to only go after the person if there are people in view. If you're talking about taking on a burglar when you or your family are alone in the house, chances are, you could be killed. People react insanely when they feel cornered. I'm going to go with Kyuusai on this one: Only go after the guy, if your life depends on it.

There's an article on that somewhere that the cops handed out to us. Googling this topic might bring up some decent results.

Quote:

And if you're not allowed to do this, you should be able to by law. That'll make people rob less.
I'd like a remote with a button that allows me to summon a crowd laughing. Such naivete.

Amray 2008-08-09 07:20

Just be cautious. Alas, I have never been in such a situation. I live in a quiet town surrounded by rural landscape. It is even safe for one to walk around with their MP3 player in their hands where I live. The most I have ever been robbed is once when my mother stole some of my chocolate, and another time when I spent lots of money on some chips. I felt robbed after that.

What about if you walk around as if you have nothing of any value on you? Oh yeah, and before you leave the house it only takes a matter of seconds to close all of your windows. If you are encountered by thugs then all I can say is that you are either buggered, or you run like mad. ^_^;

ShadowFoX 2008-08-09 11:50

Not sure if you're talking about being mugged or having your house broken into by a burglar.

A lot of the answers above already show plenty of preventative measures for the latter case; In the case of muggings, however, I would say to just not carry too much money on you. Otherwise, if there are people around, yell out for help. People will come and the robber will run.

Ermes Marana 2008-08-09 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nervous Venus (Post 1789156)
My sister's apartment was broken into once. She said, he (she assumes most people who commit burglary are male) didn't take anything because there was nothing to steal.

Similar thing happened to me. My apartment was broken into, but they barely took anything because I didn't have anything good.

I was living in a very dangerous area at the time. Even though I had everything locked up it didn't stop them.

The number 1 method to avoid being robbed, is if you live in an area where lots of people are robbed, move.

Zoned87 2008-08-09 13:19

Having a security alarm system is definately worth the money if you live in a bad neighborhood.

klowny 2008-08-09 13:45

i get my whacking stick and beat them up lol but it will be useless if they have a gun :D

Gemstar 2008-08-09 21:50

(His parents are blind and he's the only one that can see) The guy was home and the bandits broke in tied them up and took everything valuable they owned such as laptop, pc, tv, money etc. I live in what I consider one of the most dangerous countries in the world, Trinidad. Sometimes I wish some other country could take it over since their doing so well...

Daniel E. 2008-08-09 22:58

A security system is a good idea; Although, it can sometimes send the wrong message to the wrong people.

Quote:

"Wow, check out this dude's house! He even has security cameras all around it. Bet he's loaded and has a million bucks hidden under the bed. :eyespin:
If anything, one has to make sure the security system doesn't stand out too much and is not too visible from the street.

Generic Asian Guy 2008-08-09 23:35

If a person mugs me on the street, there's nothing much I can/would do. If I think I can take them on, and if they stole something very valuable, I'd chase them down.

If anyone breaks into my house, they would be facing a bat-wielding Asian mad-man. The hits would be determined on how they are armed: if they have a knife, just a couple good hard whacks on their hands/arms to disarm them and legs to ensure they can't run away. If they have a gun, then the first few whacks would be focused on their heads, then their hands/arms. I wouldn't go as far as killing any burglar; but if they make it clear they have an intention to kill or injure any of my family members, I won't hold back, even if it means putting my own life at risk.

Phantom-Takaya 2008-08-10 03:15

Rule of thumb I'd follow is that once they enter my property, I can do whatever I like with them as long as the intent is to prevent a crime. That includes using a shotgun, stabbing them or beating them with whatever was on hand until I was satisfied.

Now if you weren't home when it occurs, contacting the police would be one of the first things to do. Photograph everything. And if you can help it, make an "inventory" of what you have so when you need to give detailed descriptions of the things that were stolen, you'll have it ready instead of having to relying on memory alone.

As for on the streets, it's true you can't do with a gun pointed at you. Usually the same procedure AFTER the robbery occurred. Call the police. Maybe even take pictures. Of course, I'm one of the foolhardy few who would go down fighting before letting myself get robbed.

Vexx 2008-08-10 06:39

*Most* burglars prefer you not be home. Most legal jurisdictions will say that if they enter your home *knowing* you are probably home -- your life is in danger and you may take all authorized means to defend yourself. Such invaders are either brutal and/or drugged up. You should have a plan.
1) Best plan is to exit the house with a cellphone dialing 911 (or equivalent) and saying your life is in extreme danger from home invaders.
2) If you're trapped -- your options depend on what your local authorities allow, but being alive and having to deal with legal ramifications is better than being dead.
3) In close quarters, a bat, club, or knife can be better than a gun. These guys don't practice shooting --- many police reports tell of multiple shots fired by perps within 8 feet that miss their target. Whatever your weapon of choice ... practice using it.
4) Do you live in a city? suburb? country? This modifies how you should plan and react.

If you use a gun - make sure you've got all the paperwork and permits... and practice!
Any weapon is worse than useless if the user isn't adept or comfortable with it.

Frankly, the legal notion that you can't self-defend your life is completely absurd -- no court anywhere has ruled that the police are *responsible* for your safety. Even if they were... a 10 minutes response time is plenty of time to die.

I keep multiple options around the house as I live in an unincorporated area near a city where response time averages 20 minutes.

A mugging in a city? depends entirely on tactical situation - too many variables for one response.

Liddo-kun 2008-08-10 07:11

Just to add a bit of advice, practice the habit of placing your cellphone on your bedside when you sleep on your room at night or if that's too hard - make sure that there is a cellphone that never leaves your bedroom. I never forget to do it.
That way when you wake in the middle of the night and feel your house is being intruded you can call for help immediately in the security of your locked bedroom.

In the case of being face to face with a burglar, I agree with what most of the people here already said and that is to ESCAPE. In case I can't escape, I would use the hard wooden stick that I keep hidden near my pillow. ;)