AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Router problem (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=112051)

serenade_beta 2012-05-03 11:11

Router problem

I have this router (Belkin) that is connected to my laptop, but the problem is that it is displaying "Local-only" and does not connect to the internet, and my 3DS cannot use it.
When I was at college, it worked fine (connected router to laptop though, which doesn't work at home either), but when I try to connect it to the modem at home, this is the problem that occurs.

I have another router (Netgear) that works fine at home, allowing my laptop and my 3DS to connect to the internet.
Only problem with this is that I keep getting an error online, and despite trying DMZ, Port-forwarding, and all of that stuff I found online, it isn't fixed, so I am giving up and trying another router.

So I was wondering if someone knew how to get my router (Belkin) working for the internet?

PS: If I go to say, Starbucks or McDonald that have WiFi, I should be able to play online, right? Has anyone tried?

sa547 2012-05-03 11:20

^
Have you tried to reset that Belkin and then reconfigure it back as it was before? Some routers become iffy (this household uses a Linksys WRT54 circa 2006) after a few months or years that lobotomizing them becomes a usual routine, especially after downloading stuff for days.

serenade_beta 2012-05-03 12:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa547 (Post 4143297)
^
Have you tried to reset that Belkin and then reconfigure it back as it was before? Some routers become iffy (this household uses a Linksys WRT54 circa 2006) after a few months or years that lobotomizing them becomes a usual routine, especially after downloading stuff for days.

I haven't tried messing with the Belkin's insides, but since this router was working fine a week ago, so I don't think that is the problem.

SeijiSensei 2012-05-03 12:30

You don't need to open up the router to reset it to factory defaults. There should be reset button on the back.

I recommend searching Belkin's site for the router's manual if you no longer have it and following the steps they give there. If your ISP uses DHCP to provide your address, it should be pretty simple to configure. You may need only to hit the reset button (hold it for ten seconds or so), power-cycle the router, and everything will just work.

serenade_beta 2012-05-03 13:05

I reset my router to its default and then restored the original settings (that I saved before I reset), but the internet never connected.

Dhomochevsky 2012-05-03 13:29

A bit more information is needed:
- What is 'your internet'? Cable modem, some kind of DSL, dial up (i guess not)?
- How is your Laptop connected to the Router? Wireless? Cable?
- What is the exact name of your Router?

For some cable modem/ISP combos, you need to clone your Laptops MAC address into the router. There is usually an option for that.
Other than that, the default configuration (after factory reset) is made for cable modems.

Make sure that on your side of the router, you are in a private network (like 192.168.x.x). The router should then aquire an outside IP by itself and show that.
With my Belkin router, there is a green 'ONLINE' status at the top right in that case. Once the router itself is online, it should work. If not, report back in. ;)

serenade_beta 2012-05-03 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky (Post 4143472)
A bit more information is needed:
- What is 'your internet'? Cable modem, some kind of DSL, dial up (i guess not)?
- How is your Laptop connected to the Router? Wireless? Cable?
- What is the exact name of your Router?

For some cable modem/ISP combos, you need to clone your Laptops MAC address into the router. There is usually an option for that.
Other than that, the default configuration (after factory reset) is made for cable modems.

Make sure that on your side of the router, you are in a private network (like 192.168.x.x). The router should then aquire an outside IP by itself and show that.
With my Belkin router, there is a green 'ONLINE' status at the top right in that case. Once the router itself is online, it should work. If not, report back in. ;)

I believe it was cable modem.
Laptop is connected wireless.
Router is Belkin Wireless N Router N300.

I went and cloned my Laptop's MAC address into the MAC section, but it still didn't work.

Not quite sure how to check the last part, but it is getting an IP of 192.168.x.x-type, though of course, the status is red and offline...

Dhomochevsky 2012-05-03 14:31

Ok, stupid question:
Did you connect the correct port to the cable modem?
There should be one 'outside' port on the router (called uplink?), which goes to the cable modem and then the rest is for your inside network.
For me it's color coded: yellow = uplink.

I have a Belkin router (not the same model) on a cable modem at my parents. The basic steps from factory reset to make it work are:
- Set password
- Set Wireless password
- Set Router IP adress (to something like 192.168.1.1)
- use 'Connection Wizard', choose cable modem, non static ip
- clone MAC adress into router

done.

Now they have a non static ip, which means the ISP is running a DHCP service and everytime I switch the cable modem off and back on, it would get a different outside IP adress.
It might be, that you got a static ip adress service. So you need to provide that ip. This is a different option in the connection wizard.

sneaker 2012-05-03 15:01

Though DHCP and static IP do not contradict each other.
You should really ask the ISP for information. Some require setting up PPPoE with username and password for example, so just connecting the two devices will not suffice.

serenade_beta 2012-05-03 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky (Post 4143582)
Ok, stupid question:
Did you connect the correct port to the cable modem?
There should be one 'outside' port on the router (called uplink?), which goes to the cable modem and then the rest is for your inside network.
For me it's color coded: yellow = uplink.

I have a Belkin router (not the same model) on a cable modem at my parents. The basic steps from factory reset to make it work are:
- Set password
- Set Wireless password
- Set Router IP adress (to something like 192.168.1.1)
- use 'Connection Wizard', choose cable modem, non static ip
- clone MAC adress into router

done.

Now they have a non static ip, which means the ISP is running a DHCP service and everytime I switch the cable modem off and back on, it would get a different outside IP adress.
It might be, that you got a static ip adress service. So you need to provide that ip. This is a different option in the connection wizard.

Yeah, I connected it right (cable from modem to the port that has the words "modem", and when needed, cable to extra ports to laptop).

I'll try to play around with the router, later, maybe. After doing the whole MAC address cloning (with Belkin's), my working router (Netgear) suddenly became "Local-only" as well when I plugged the modem back into it, but it turned back to "Local and Internet" after telling my laptop to connect and disconnect several times. It actually happened again later, but same way fixed it. Not sure what that was about, but I am afraid of causing my working router to stop working too, so I'm going to try a public WiFi spot tomorrow and see if it works there...

Dhomochevsky 2012-05-05 12:50

You can test if you have a static ip address by going to a site like this:
http://www.whatismyip.com/

Remember that address, then switch off your router (and maybe the modem, I'm not sure if that is required in any case) and switch it back on.
Reload that site and see if your address has changed.