AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Nintendo DS or Sony PSP? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=25452)

Racheal 2004-12-18 11:38

Nintendo DS or Sony PSP?

I can only choose one. So far my preference is the PSP since i am more of a Playstation fan. Cant help it if most of the memorable RPGs /RTS are released as PS2 titles. I absolutely love playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

NinjaServ 2004-12-18 12:08

This thread already exists on the forum, please use the SEARCH to find it.

Wizard Slayer 2004-12-18 12:17

I would personaly go for a psp, why do you need a 2nd screen for :p most of the games that will start arent realy going to use it
and dont forget:
POKEMON ON 2 SCREENS = mental brake down :p

NinjaServ 2004-12-18 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizard Slayer
I would personaly go for a psp, why do you need a 2nd screen for :p most of the games that will start arent realy going to use it
and dont forget:
POKEMON ON 2 SCREENS = mental brake down :p

It's not about the two screens, it's mostly about the TOUCH screen, this provides a unique gameplay unmatched by anything before, but then again if you haven't played one yet it's hard to understand this.

Now PLEASE, SOMEONE close this thread and point these ppl to the PROPER thread on this ALREADYED started...

LynnieS 2004-12-18 12:39

PSP:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=25239
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=25143

DS:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=24233

You're on your own for the "closing the thread" part. ;)

hobbs 2004-12-18 12:56

im getting both..hehe

Shoeshefied 2004-12-18 14:57

n ds looks bulky, i played with it and im still not convince though, I would preferr Psp more, since well... well you'll see.. harhar..

Kakashi8489 2004-12-18 16:08

http://news.com.com/PlayStation+Port...3-5487445.html

Eh,
"The PSP will also have to solve some technical challenges, most notably concerns about battery life. Sony estimates that a fully charged PSP battery will be good for four to six hours of game playing.

But Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi acknowledged in a Japanese press interview last month that those estimates were for playing a simple puzzle or card game with the screen dimmed, speakers turned off and wireless connectivity disabled. Turn on all the bells and whistles and load up a graphically complex racing game, and the battery will drain faster. Nintendo's market-leading Game Boy Advance SP, by contrast, runs for more than 10 hours between charges."

The PSP looks cool though. But, I think i'll get the DS. Since, I already trust Nintendo in the hand-held department, lol.

Re-Sound 2004-12-18 16:17

I'm only getting the PSP bec. I heard a Shining Force game is going to be released in the psp.

Ending 2004-12-18 17:40

I wouldn't pay of either as computers and consoles do the same job far better. Okay, you can't have them on a journey, but that is why there are laptops and books. ;)

But if it had to be one of them, I guess I would go with PSP, since the Big N tends to have a lot of kiddy-kiddy game. To be frank; Nintendo is a company made for children. If just PSP weren't of that old design that leaves the screen bare, unlike in DS.

Benoit 2004-12-18 17:49

Anyone who still thinks Nintendo is kiddy should be shot.
They're not for kids. They're for people who want fun games with good gameplay. At least they try to innovate.

Just because they have Pokemon doesn't make them kiddy!

HopelessLover 2004-12-18 17:52

I'm getting both because I have a J-O-B (that spells out job for those who are too retarted to understand).

Bandersnatch 2004-12-18 18:25

Ill pick up a DS when I either see Castlevania DS or Advance Wars DS and ill get a PSP when they fix it up and theres games I can't live without. Haven't heard about many games coming out for it besides Metal Gear Acid, and a metal gear card battle game doesn't exactly make me want to run out to the store to get it.

Shoeshefied 2004-12-18 19:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Re-Sound
I'm only getting the PSP bec. I heard a Shining Force game is going to be released in the psp.

YYOU SERIOUSS!!?? ~!!*Obseessed*...by any chancee do you also think a game called "Lufia" would rise in that platform..

Shift_ 2004-12-18 20:48

I'll be getting a PSP...

But ofcourse I already own a DS :)

Phantom Blade 2004-12-18 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoit
Anyone who still thinks Nintendo is kiddy should be shot.

that is a bit harsh though.

raise ur hand if u think playing a video game makes u feel mature!

I cant believe this "look cool" and "be good" thing has moved in on games... doing it to sports was bad enough.

江戸くん 2004-12-18 23:24

I'm only getting the PSP if they retain the "UMD shuriken" feature for the North American release.

Shift_ 2004-12-19 02:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 江戸くん
I'm only getting the PSP if they retain the "UMD shuriken" feature for the North American release.

It's the perfect assassin weapon...you can play games while waiting for your target, then when they come to the right place, bend your wrists, the UMD will fly out and kill them haha :)

LynnieS 2004-12-19 05:02

Getting both; okay, getting the PSP since I've already bought the DS. "Ridge Racer" looks really nice, and I'd like to give "Metal Gear Acid" and "Dynasty Warriors" a try as well. "Hot Shots Golf" looked great even on the tiny screen. The idea of region-free games (from Gamespot.com's coverage) is pretty good also; if shipments arrive regularly, I think I'll pick up a couple extras as late Christmas gifts or something and store up some favors. :)

The only problem is the stores in Tokyo that I went to are still out of PSPs, and no new shipment is in sight. The salesclerks looked really ticked off at my asking also; everyone is probably asking for the latest news not yet posted on ads.

People outside of Japan had better hope they get the kinks out of the shipping process, or you won't see the PSP till the second half of 2005, IMHO.

Have they announced the retail price of the PSP outside of Japan also? At 20,000 yen or so for the regular version and 25,000 yen for the deluxe package, I think they're almost giving the thing away here. An initial price of US$250, especially if there is a shortage continuing, probably wouldn't be out of the question and drop it at a later time.

Ending 2004-12-19 09:18

@ Benoit

Why shouldn't I think they are a kiddy-kiddy company? Super Mario Sunshine was practically sugar-coated, Metroid Prime was made more flashy to appease younger gamers, the Wind Waker... Pfeh, do I even need to mention? Then there are, of course, those Paper Mario and Pokemon series that put the equal mark between "Nintendo" and "For Children" for sure -and it has been there for years.

So, anyone want to buy a purple Gamecube, or maybe a Toybox? :D

Benoit 2004-12-19 11:30

So Metroid Prime doesn't count just because it's flashy? You still can't say that it is kiddy.
Sure, their other games may look kiddy, but try to give it to a kid, and we'll see how far he gets.
And Pokemon is kiddy all-around, but we know that. Besides, kiddy or not, almost everyone has played it, eh? :P Most liked it as well.
Quote:

So, anyone want to buy a purple Gamecube, or maybe a Toybox?
That's a lame arguement, since you can choose your color.
Quote:

LOL!
Quote:

by any chancee do you also think a game called "Lufia" would rise in that platform..
You mean ON that platform. (you made that typo twice)

I don't think so, since all Lufia games have come out for Nintendo consoles.
I'm not holding my breath either, since the last Lufia game was developed by Taito, and wasn't too good.

SlugZilla 2004-12-19 11:37

If you think playing the PSP out in public will make you seem less "kiddy", think again.

Ending 2004-12-19 12:07

Gaming itself is not kiddy; playing games that look and sound like something that has been snatched from Looney Tunes is. Sony has been known for attracting more mature-themed games, thus PSP is a better choise IMO.

Quote:

That's a lame arguement, since you can choose your color.
Yes, today, but purple was the first colour they chose for it. :heh: True, Metroid Prime is generally taken for all ages, but if you compare it to Metroid 3 and you will notice that it lacks that dark, mature athmosphere. Now, even the corpses in MP look like they have just sat down and taken a break even if the log-book says that someone has just speared them against a wall and ripped to half. Bleh, I say.

Phantom Blade 2004-12-19 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wirhe
Gaming itself is not kiddy; playing games that look and sound like something that has been snatched from Looney Tunes is. Sony has been known for attracting more mature-themed games, thus PSP is a better choise IMO.

Playing a game itself is "kiddy." People play games to have fun, who the hell cares what it looks like? u want to feel "mature" go read a book.
i mean honestly do u think if u open up a Mature rated game sit down and play it for hours that people would go "wow that guy is so mature."
do the games look "kiddy"? OF COURSE! It's to attract little kids! Make a kid really into a game, and yrs later that kid will keep buying games from that company! Especially when a port comes out. Look how well the new pokemon game sold, and im betting most of the buyers were about 16~20 yrs old who wanted to play the game they played when they were 12. you think mario 64 DS looks "mature" hell no, but look how well it sold. again, im guessing majority of the buyers are ppl who played it back in 95.
Nintendo hits a bigger audience than sony does. nintendo games arent "mature" as u say, but it's fun. I still love Mario and Kirby, probably the most "kiddy" looking game. (kirby)
maybe u think im being biased towards nintendo, but the only nintendo system i ever owned were: Snes, DS, GBA, and Gameboy. I had a GC for a while till i decided i really didnt like that system. i own a PS2 tho.

ppl who like to say "nintendo is kiddy! sony and microsoft is a mature games!" are just afraid of other people making fun of them. They're just trying to be "cool"-nerds. Like i said before, playing any game itself isnt going to make u look mature. (in fact, same goes with anime and manga) just becuz u play GTA doesnt change the fact that ure 30 yrs old and playing games on ur free time. (just an example)

oh yea, Sony is also known for messing up hardware.
and Nintendo is known for always beating out other companies in handhelds.

Who wants a handheld that only runs for like 6 hrs max? Id get a PSP, but only to get Makkai Wars and other RPGs.

NinjaServ 2004-12-19 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeshefied
n ds looks bulky, i played with it and im still not convince though, I would preferr Psp more, since well... well you'll see.. harhar..

...GREAT explination....-_-;;; both are decent, only one added useless features and one added interesting features...it's up to the end user, graphics and no battery, or new gameplay features....or for ppl like you, you choose whichever one you are a fanboy of...

Benoit 2004-12-19 15:41

Quote:

Sony has been known for attracting more mature-themed games, thus PSP is a better choise IMO.
Why care? As long as it's fun. I prefer to play a fun 'kiddy' game than a lame adult one.
Scared to be laughed at by your friends?
Quote:

Yes, today, but purple was the first colour they chose for it.
OK, but I still find it silly that people have certain ideas about certain colours.
"Oh, look, it's purple, it must be gay!"
"Look, pink! GIRLY!"
Bah.
Quote:

True, Metroid Prime is generally taken for all ages, but if you compare it to Metroid 3 and you will notice that it lacks that dark, mature athmosphere.
So because a game isn't dark means that it's kiddy? Give me a break...
Quote:

Now, even the corpses in MP look like they have just sat down and taken a break even if the log-book says that someone has just speared them against a wall and ripped to half. Bleh, I say.
Not all games have to be Resident Evil, you know.

Shift_ 2004-12-19 16:56

Okay, dude HAVE you ever even BEEN in a real fight? Have you made people bleed? HAVE YOU SEEN shit like that in real life?

Until you have done that, you arn't a man, because your life isn't 'mature' enough kiddy...

GG_Luna128 2004-12-19 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift_
Okay, dude HAVE you ever even BEEN in a real fight? Have you made people bleed? HAVE YOU SEEN shit like that in real life?

Until you have done that, you arn't a man, because your life isn't 'mature' enough kiddy...

You also must burn a McDonalds store and play Strip Poker with three mature women (min 45 y.o.) .

Ending 2004-12-19 17:51

Seems like it's useless to talk to you people; I was speaking about my opinions and if you cannot accept them, THEN DON'T. Go away, play something, have a fight, become a man/woman/alien or whatever. :heh:

NinjaServ 2004-12-19 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift_

Rather immature outlook on life....are you REALLY 20? You sound more like a 13 year old kiddie on the net that likes to act like he's older than everyone else and "explain life" to everyone....

arias 2004-12-19 21:06

Funny, I always thought people who resorted to violence were childish.

Oh no, that's only in real life, and not in the movies. :p

testike 2004-12-20 05:23

my vote goes for PSP ;)

Benoit 2004-12-20 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaServ
Rather immature outlook on life....are you REALLY 20? You sound more like a 13 year old kiddie on the net that likes to act like he's older than everyone else and "explain life" to everyone....

I think it was sarcasm, really. ;)

Seems most people who favor the PSP are fanboys, blind to facts, or want to be 'cool'.
The truth is rather different:
http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/000074.html

DekaMaster 2004-12-20 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benoit
I think it was sarcasm, really. ;)

Seems most people who favor the PSP are fanboys, blind to facts, or want to be 'cool'.
The truth is rather different:
http://www.insertcredit.com/archives/000074.html

No the truth is people have favorites. But when some ones favorite isn't nintendo then "people" such as yourself get on them for not siding with you.

Phantom Blade 2004-12-20 12:13

Quote:

Seems like it's useless to talk to you people; I was speaking about my opinions and if you cannot accept them, THEN DON'T. Go away, play something, have a fight, become a man/woman/alien or whatever. :heh:

ur opinion is basically: "DS is immature, PSP is mature."
Yea, i dont think ppl like that.
and we're saying y ur opinion is just based on fan-boism.

Ending 2004-12-20 13:36

Do not place words to my mouth that I haven't said. End of discussion. :nono:

Benoit 2004-12-20 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DekaMaster
No the truth is people have favorites. But when some ones favorite isn't nintendo then "people" such as yourself get on them for not siding with you.

I see that the PSP fanboy/anti-DS fanboy has reached this thread. :)
Now it'll be just flames...

Shift_ 2004-12-20 14:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaServ

You obviously missed my point completely.

I was stating, I play games for fun.

Having realistic gore and shit doesn't make games fun.

mantidor 2004-12-20 16:29

omg I love this threads

Quote:

@ Benoit

Why shouldn't I think they are a kiddy-kiddy company? Super Mario Sunshine was practically sugar-coated, Metroid Prime was made more flashy to appease younger gamers, the Wind Waker... Pfeh, do I even need to mention? Then there are, of course, those Paper Mario and Pokemon series that put the equal mark between "Nintendo" and "For Children" for sure -and it has been there for years.

So, anyone want to buy a purple Gamecube, or maybe a Toybox? :D

LOL, I cant believe you are serious, MP was flashy to appeal to younger gamers!? you definately have a huge issue with Nintendo. I cant wait to hear you also claiming that RE4 is also kiddie, or Eternal Darkness...

Anyway... Racheal it really depends on the games, look at them and see if they appeal to you, and of course you must first try the DS, its easy to be esceptical about the touchscreen, bu try it and see how most people have nothing but praises to the system since its just plain fun. There is no need to try the psp, is a GBA with analog control and better graphics. And also remember if you really are going to use it as a portable, because if it seems you'll most likely be playing the handheld at home then it would be wiser to buy a gaming console or just more games if you already have one.

Tron Bonne 2004-12-20 22:08

I have a few questions, please help me out. I'm thinking of buying a PSP for my little brother, but I need to know some things. How bad is the battery life? Is it backwards compatible?