AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Gundam (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Second Season - Episode 1 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=72420)

Rising Dragon 2008-10-09 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller (Post 1975632)
Eh, I suppose.

Still, I honestly hope Louise does more than be subjected to Ribbons' little intrustions and freeze up in combat before she more than likely kicks the bucket.

I don't think the freezing-up will happen very often. Personally, I think she froze up because, well, it was a Gundam--something that was thought to be destroyed for nearly five years. Ribbons probably didn't help things much. But no, I think we'll be seeing some combat from Louise. I just hope they don't make her an ace pilot at record speeds, though.

Dream_Traveller 2008-10-09 16:04

Well, that's true...and a Gundam was the very thing that killed her family...still, in situations in which she has to face Gundams, which will arise, here's hoping she performs better.

wingdarkness 2008-10-09 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream_Traveller (Post 1975595)
Gundam Seed Destiny didn't invent it...but seeing how psychotic and...er...accident-prone they made Stellar, it certainly did bring it to the forefront.

Do you know how many mentally unstable cyber-newtypes amoungst other types there are in Gundam? Four is probably the most popular one but there are so many...Not to risk having brightman correct me I'd list them myself, but there has to be atleast a dozen or more G-history...Louise might resemble one of them a bit more than the other, but Gundam Seed never brought this to the forefront more, it just happened that it's a more recent series...I'm not gonna act like seeing her trying to pop pills didn't give me SEED-druggy flashbacks, but saying she's now Four or Steller is jumping the gun...You don't go from useless character to Four in one episode...

ZeusIrae 2008-10-09 16:31

err...nobody said she was four.She's just part of the category like Four(who was the first), stellar and dozens of other.But she's a recurring character since the beginning, I think it's a first.

Charred Knight 2008-10-09 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpgman1 (Post 1975037)
Finally watch the episode of Gundam 00 S2 with Menclave subs and it just blew away my expectations for the first episode. Even more so than CG R2 and Gundam 00 S1. I have to agree with Louise being a Stellar archetype. I can't believe Ribbons is using her just to spy on Gundams like Exia's return. Poor Saji, getting blamed already for being part of the resistance but he shouldn't blame Setsuna for the tragedies he went through (I could understand but you can't bring back the past just to be satisfied). Tieria was right about the world being more complicated than Saji thinks.

The new Gundam Sevaree looks just like Virtue except more cannons and a face on its back. Can't wait for the new Gundams to pawn the grunts, but the challenges come from Ali, Masked Man, and possibly druggie Louise. 00 Gundam should be more powerful than Exia due to its twin GN Drives. Exia was freaking scary but got trashed easily since it was a older model Gundam.

You do know that Stellar was based off of Four from Zeta Gundam don't you?

Except that Four wasn't retarded, and say idiotic things like "Protect Stellar" and dance off of cliffs. In other words Four wasn't an annoying horrible character.

As for Louise, I see her being inspired by Four, but not actually Four, so hopefully that fact makes all the difference, and she isn't killed and dies in Saji's arms.

Dream_Traveller 2008-10-09 16:56

"People die when they are killed", Charred Knight?

:heh:

wingdarkness 2008-10-09 17:06

Until I see more information I'm not gonna let a pill-popping scene after a sortie convince me she's even inspired by Four...This is how bogus comparisons take-off and then have internetbabies...As a character Steller is probably closer to Rosamia(Z) then Four, but because she fights in a Psyco-Gundam's rape-child she's Four...I'm just saying lets not get ahead of ourselves here and start throwing around comparisons like this when one episode could blow that $hit all out of the water...Next she'll be Chara Soon, lol OK nobody can quite be her, but I don't even see the inspiration for her character having much to do with Steller or Four besides her seeing a Gundam and it messing with her head...That's not enuff based on 1 episode and I don't want that stigma attached to her character this quickly...

lubczyk 2008-10-09 17:45

On another note, I hate how Sunrise totally destroyed the Mystique of the Masked Man. The whole air of mystery that each Masked Man brought really brought some tension to each show. From Char in Gundam 0079, to Iron Mask in F91, to Zechs in Gundam Wing to Ulube and Schwarz Bruder in G Gundam to Rau La Creuset in Gundam SEED, these characters really made Gundam really special, they were "grey" characters so to speak. Neo in Destiny was obvioulys Mu, and therefore the whole intrigue behind the Masked Man was lost. Same with Graham Aker in Gundam 00 Season 2. There's no mystery behind him. I doubt that there will even be a worthy back story. Sure, he's an interesting character, mysterious though, he is not.

Has Sunrise totally destroyed the concept of the "Masked Man?"

Well, we can look forward to be intrigued by the mysterious Ribbons Almark and the Innovators at least. I guess that makes up for it.

dspr8_rugged 2008-10-09 18:49

About the "Masked Man" thing, either that, or Mizushima isn't taking the Gundam "standards" that much. I honestly never thought that Gundam 00 will have another one. I was actually okay with not having it.

The series could actually end without having a big-ass laser doomsday weapon for all we know. :heh:

As for the episode itself, I give it a 9/10. For a mecha fan who loves seeing mobile suit action, yeah, this is awesome stuff. Plot-wise, it's basically a set-up episode. I don't expect plot movement this early.

wingdarkness 2008-10-09 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubczyk (Post 1975815)
On another note, I hate how Sunrise totally destroyed the Mystique of the Masked Man. The whole air of mystery that each Masked Man brought really brought some tension to each show. From Char in Gundam 0079, to Iron Mask in F91, to Zechs in Gundam Wing to Ulube and Schwarz Bruder in G Gundam to Rau La Creuset in Gundam SEED, these characters really made Gundam really special, they were "grey" characters so to speak. Neo in Destiny was obvioulys Mu, and therefore the whole intrigue behind the Masked Man was lost. Same with Graham Aker in Gundam 00 Season 2. There's no mystery behind him. I doubt that there will even be a worthy back story. Sure, he's an interesting character, mysterious though, he is not.

Ugh, I don't even have the energy to address all of this, just know that I totally disagree with the assertion that the maskman concept has been destroyed...Neo was the low point, Chronicle Asner is iffy at best, but we haven't even seen Graham really give his masked version a character aspect yet...Let's revisit this at about the mid-point of the season, just so we have some info to go with our all-knowing claims...

lubczyk 2008-10-09 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by dspr8_rugged (Post 1975927)
About the "Masked Man" thing, either that, or Mizushima isn't taking the Gundam "standards" that much. I honestly never thought that Gundam 00 will have another one. I was actually okay with not having it.

The series could actually end without having a big-ass laser doomsday weapon for all we know. :heh:

As for the episode itself, I give it a 9/10. For a mecha fan who loves seeing mobile suit action, yeah, this is awesome stuff. Plot-wise, it's basically a set-up episode. I don't expect plot movement this early.

As am I. I thought that the inclusion of the Masked Man (:cough: Graham) was tacky. He's like the worst candidate for a masked man. I'm personally hoping for a Trans-Am Firebird by series' end. :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dspr8_rugged (Post 1975927)

I'm thinking that the Solar Elevators will be blown apart and the pieces will fall to Earth

Rising Dragon 2008-10-09 20:10

Oh for the love of...

Lubczyk, use the goddamn edit button. Its bad enough that you double-posted, but replying to the same thing twice? Good god.

brightman 2008-10-09 20:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubczyk (Post 1975815)

No, Masked Man is obviously of the Quattro Bageena archtype more than the Char Aznable... He's the guy who every viewer knows the identity of but still tries to hide it in the show. But still, the addition of the mask, plus Sunrise/Mizushima's continued refusal to admit that he's Graham (remember, Mizushima said multiple times that Graham is dead), along with his over-the-top eccentricity still brings some forms of mystique, I guess...

Rising Dragon 2008-10-09 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubczyk (Post 1976102)
I like to be different.

Mods frown upon double-posting.

kir44n 2008-10-09 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightman (Post 1976086)
No, Masked Man is obviously of the Quattro Bageena archtype more than the Char Aznable... He's the guy who every viewer knows the identity of but still tries to hide it in the show. But still, the addition of the mask, plus Sunrise/Mizushima's continued refusal to admit that he's Graham (remember, Mizushima said multiple times that Graham is dead), along with his over-the-top eccentricity still brings some forms of mystique, I guess...

Good lord, I'm not sure how they could pull that off. At least char hid behind his mask before the false persona (false persona -> false persona = win). But I don't see how Graham will hide his hard throbbing passion for the Gundams while behind his mask. Thirty seconds of listening to him talk about gundams should be enough to clue anyone in to who he really is -_-. I suppose it might be easier if Billy Katagiri (and what a bizarre name that is. Are they trying to come up with as many weird names in this show as possible?) is retired from the military.

Souryu 2008-10-09 22:35

Sunrise destroyed the Mystique of the Masked Man? What about Chronicle Asher in Victory, where he used a mask because of the air? :heh: What about Harry Ord from Turn-A, that used glasses to just look cool?

And the fact that he's mysterious to me is secundary. I only care if he's a interesting character or not.

dspr8_rugged 2008-10-09 22:54

I seriously face-palmed when I saw Graham in a mask at the epilogue of Episode 25.

But then again, yeah, what really matters is if Graham will do something interesting this time rather than just being a total Gundam-nut.

Kang Seung Jae 2008-10-10 01:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichimaru (Post 1974563)
if the grass is green, sergie should go mow it down :D

I doube he'll go for someone who's the same age as his son ;)

Kelrys 2008-10-10 01:37

Graham surprise us throughout the entire season 1 (except the final battle)

-He has his own beliefs about the Gundams
-He pilots grunt suit
-He pilots Eiffman custom Flag
-He owns Throne Eins and Dynames
-He turns down offer to pilot a GN-X
-Oh well, he wrecks his suit recklessly at the final battle, sigh...

Anh_Minh 2008-10-10 03:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightman (Post 1976086)

Is he trying to hide it from anyone? I thought he was just disfigured or something.

On another note: If Andrei and Soma ever talk about her relation with Sergei... I wonder if it'll be while they're eating, and if Soma will say "We're lovers. By the way, you can call me 'mom'".