AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Movie! (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=104504)

Sixfeetstar 2011-05-28 17:20

Movie!

Can anyone suggest some good anime movies ? Preferably not by Miyazaki.It has to contain action and some romance if possible. I'm also really into fantasy. Thank you in advance !

AbZeroNow 2011-05-28 17:31

Any reason that you don't care for Miyazaki's movies? Princess Mononoke is a masterpiece in both story and animation. It was also one of the first anime movies that I've seen.

OK, since you don't want recommendations for Studio Ghibli things...

Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time are both visually stunning films with an excellent story. I loved Summer Wars when I saw it, and I think it got robbed by not getting an Oscar nomination this year.

Ghost In The Shell is a thought-provoking, sci-fi movie that I would recommend to anyone. It also has a lot of action.

I also enjoyed the movie of Escaflowne. It has action, romance and some fantasy to it. Yoko Konno's music also made it memorable for me.

I also would recommend The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. The animation in that is amazing. It is a long movie(2 and half hours) and you might want to watch the Haruhi Suzumiya anime before you watch the movie.

jedinat 2011-05-28 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbZeroNow (Post 3629600)
I also would recommend The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. The animation in that is amazing. It is a long movie(2 and half hours) and you might want to watch the Haruhi Suzumiya anime before you watch the movie.

I'll second this. Establishing the background for the film is reason enough to watch Suzumiya Haruhi even if the TV series didn't have merit on its own (which it does of course).

Trigun: Badlands Rumble is a nice addition if you've seen and enjoyed the TV series.

I'll also second Summer Wars.

Kotohono 2011-05-28 18:40

I'll second The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and Summer Wars for what you're looking for.

Others for maybe Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works? Though by your sig and avatar you've probably already seen it :heh: but I figure I should mention it just in case :p.

And I'd also suggest Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st action wise it was just awesome :D However Romance may or may not be viewed as present varying on your yuri vision levels :uhoh:.

Sixfeetstar 2011-05-28 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbZeroNow (Post 3629600)
Any reason that you don't care for Miyazaki's movies? Princess Mononoke is a masterpiece in both story and animation. It was also one of the first anime movies that I've seen.

OK, since you don't want recommendations for Studio Ghibli things...

Summer Wars and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time are both visually stunning films with an excellent story. I loved Summer Wars when I saw it, and I think it got robbed by not getting an Oscar nomination this year.

Ghost In The Shell is a thought-provoking, sci-fi movie that I would recommend to anyone. It also has a lot of action.

I also enjoyed the movie of Escaflowne. It has action, romance and some fantasy to it. Yoko Konno's music also made it memorable for me.

No I just watched a lot of his movies already , I just want alittle bit more variety (And yes I loved watching Princess Mononoke) Ahh thanks I tried Haruhi Suzumiya and I didn't really enjoy the first three episodes ... Maybe I'll try watching it again. Already watched Summer Wars. I'll try the others too thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedinat (Post 3629611)
I'll second this. Establishing the background for the film is reason enough to watch Suzumiya Haruhi even if the TV series didn't have merit on its own (which it does of course).

Trigun: Badlands Rumble is a nice addition if you've seen and enjoyed the TV series.

I'll also second Summer Wars.

Ohh I loved Trigun I'll definitely watch the movie Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Konakaga (Post 3629675)
I'll second The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and Summer Wars for what you're looking for.

Others for maybe Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works? Though by your sig and avatar you've probably already seen it :heh: but I figure I should mention it just in case :p.

And I'd also suggest Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st action wise it was just awesome :D However Romance may or may not be viewed as present varying on your yuri vision levels :uhoh:.

Ahah actually I never watched Unlimited Blade Works , been busy with other shows and school:eyespin: Never been into Magic Girl genre but I'll try it X]

Haak 2011-05-29 03:31

I recommend Kara no Kyoukai. It's a series of seven films, each about murders that are taking place through supernatural means. The protagonist is Ryougi Shiki, a girl that has been raised in a family of demon hunters and has the ability to see the death of everything through her Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. She also has an almost insatable urge to kill. It definitely has some terrific animation:

It's written by the same person who wrote Fate/Stay Night.

GreatTeacherKen 2011-05-29 03:58

Macross Plus the Movie- the Macross franchise for the most part, is a mixture of action, romance, and music and this movie is no exception. The animation is quite good. It started off as an OVA, and the movie is a remake/adaptation of it. The story is mostly the same, but IIRC the movie has a few scenes that are not in the OVA like one death scene being more explicit in the movie.

Macross: Do You Remember Love?- Retelling of the first 27 episodes of the original Macross TV series. It's not necessary to watch the TV series. In fact, it makes a lot of changes to the story, to the point that it's best to treat it as an alternate version, but it's quite a good movie with excellent animation and is perfectly comprehensible even if you've never seen the series.

monir 2011-05-29 04:56

Ninja Scroll: It's the first anime medium I've watched in Japanese lingo with subtitle in a VHS tape. I was hooked on anime since then. :)

Beyond the Cloud is pretty good too.

Pellissier 2011-05-29 06:48

Whisper of the Heart , Ghibli but not by Miyazaki (while he did screenplay, storyboard and production he was not the director). My all time favourite anime movie.

5 Centimeters per Second, Romance and Coming of Age. Visually fantastic.

Furusato Japan , set in a post WW2 Japan (1956), it tells us about the lives of a group of kids. Very sad and touching.

mecharobot 2011-05-29 08:47

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust should be just what you're looking for. Nice action and some, but not too much, romance in the background. Fantasy? It's a light horror with lots of different kinds of monsters.

You might also try Windaria. A tragic romance story set in between two warring nations.

TinyRedLeaf 2011-05-29 10:37

For something a little out of left field, try Gonzo's Origin: Spirits of the Past (2006).
Quote:

In a post-apocalyptic future, Neutral City has sprung up from the ruins located between the militant nation of Ragna and the sentient forest that controls the area's water supply. While on an adventure one day, young Agito falls into some deep ruins. There, he discovers a structure that contains a perfectly preserved person: a girl named Toola, who belongs to the civilisation that existed before the cataclysm that destroyed the Moon and ravaged Earth. Accidentally awakening her, Agito helps Toola adjust to her new environment, eventually learning that she is the key to a device that may undo the damage done to the world.

Note: This is a Gonzo production after all, so don't go in expecting substance over flair. :p Personally, I would not have stumbled upon it had it not been for its ethereal theme song, Chowa Oto ~ with reflection by KOKIA.

Kleo Scanti 2011-05-29 11:18

I'd recommend watching Ah! My Goddess! The Movie. It has action, fantasy, magic, sport and romance on top of that. Plus the soundtrack is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFWGa57Og-8