AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Naruto/Boruto (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   [Manga] How long is Naruto going to be the "Hopeless loser with potential"? (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=42496)

MysticNinjaJay 2007-02-01 17:21

[Manga] How long is Naruto going to be the "Hopeless loser with potential"?

After reading chapter 340 I felt that it was beyond lame that Naruto's jutsu did not connect.

The kid's growth is pathetic. He spent 3 years with Jiraiya, the teacher of the 4th Hokage and still hasn't learned how to use Rasengan with one hand.

Infact he had even less control over Kyuubi after the time skip which has thankfully changed.

What happened to the Naruto that was facing hopeless odds against Neji in the Chunnin exam tournament and then shocked the ninja world by unleashing his incredible power, defeating his genius opponent?

I'm tired of hearing about Naruto's potential and want to see the character grow and show some actual talent.

Kishimoto seems to simply be dragging this arc and I think it is unnecessary. He is making Naruto look bad by throwing away a chapter to once again portray him as a goof.

Hunter 2007-02-01 17:37

Honestly I think this chapter will be the last reminder of Naruto's dumbness for a while. If the next chapter doesn't shift to Shika, Sakura and Sai in order to drive poor Naruto fans crazy, Naruto should fight Kakuzu alone and doing great.
We will probably have a cliffhanger with Kakuzu in very bad position in a couple of chapter at most.

Negs 2007-02-01 17:44

Yeah. I, too was bummed a bit after reading the latest chapter. I thought for sure this was gonna be the turning point in his development. But it's alright. Like others have said in the manga discussion, he's taking on something that the 4th wasn't able to complete. I feel that Kishi just handled it awkwardly. He could have made it so Naruto failed at taking out Kakuzu w/o making him look like a total buffoon.

As far as when this will change? I don't know anymore. I thought it would be after he was done wandering around with Jiraiya (Which still pisses me off to this day). But it will happen. Probably towards the end of the series. ;\

Sabaku Kyu 2007-02-01 18:05

The problem is Naruto is a series with no cannon fodder enemies. The hero is always going to be the underdog in a major fight that's a given, but usually they can show how they've "leveled up" by taking out some henchmen or minor enemies first. Naruto's always facing an insanely over-powered opponent so he always starts off looking unimpressive despite the fact that he's grown in power. This is especially true post-timeskip. There haven't even been any nameless Sound and Sand ninja for them to fight. The two henchmen we saw (the clones) were nearly as powerful as Akatsuki themselves.

LittleLaptopChan 2007-02-01 19:45

every once in a while it's refreshing to see kishi's trademark "big round empty eyes" on shocked characters' faces.

but this time that expression on naruto's face seems really out of place, completely changing the pace of the battle, and getting countless boos from the audience. i feel that if naruto messed up, but kept his cool, it would've prevented this big "omg naruto sux STILL!?!?!" when in fact he has progressed leaps and bounds over the older naruto. he is taking on, by himself, with confidence and calm (for once), an akatsuki member.

Hage-bai 2007-02-01 19:45

Naruto lost its direction a long time ago. Its getting close to unredeemable at this point. Don't look for a change any time soon either.

Hokage Mech 2007-02-01 19:54

I dont think Naruto will stay a goof for much longer but I dont think that he is going to demolish Kakuzu but he will beat him. I dont think it'll be in the next chapter either.

Zu Ra 2007-02-01 20:13

What did Naruto train with Jiraiya for IMO Naruto was better off under guidance of Kakashi . Those 2 years spent in Training have nothing to show for .

Luminion Lancer 2007-02-01 20:28

-"Hopeless loser with potenial", huh? Why beat around the bush when you can say it with a straight face? Naruto, even after 340 chapters, is still a total f****** moron with no hope of ever becoming Hokage. Hell, he probably will never even live past the fight with Kakuzu. He'll die and the series will end. Sad, very sad indeed and I had high hopes in Kishimoto's writing. Figures...

LittleLaptopChan 2007-02-01 20:36

well as much as i hate to say it, looks like all those tv filler episodes actually show naruto's true development over the course of the timeskip. he probably trained with jiraiya only one month before coming back to konoha ^_^

and we've still yet to see his new perverted ninjutsu

Sazelyt 2007-02-01 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShurikenJay (Post 819358)
The kid's growth is pathetic. He spent 3 years with Jiraiya, the teacher of the 4th Hokage and still hasn't learned how to use Rasengan with one hand.

I guess, you didn't want to miss the last chance to humiliate Naruto.

In the next few chapters, after being pushed from behind by Kishi with those encouraging words/reminders at the end, we will see, how much his growth rate will translate into his success against Kakuzu, alone.

And, by the way, he may not have learned how to create Rasengan with one hand (though I believe he can), but he developed a jutsu, that two highly capable ninjas (maybe even three) failed to do so.

Lastly, after training Naruto for 2.5 years, leaving Naruto in the hands of only jounin level ninjas to help him against Kage level ninjas shows how much Naruto carries the trust of Jiraiya. If Jiraiya shared quite a bit of his idiocy, which supported Jiraiya to become Kage level, with Naruto, that should be enough for Naruto to be considered around the level of high level ninjas to confront the Kage levels with enough confidence.

Apollian 2007-02-02 04:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geta Boshi (Post 819543)
What did Naruto train with Jiraiya for IMO Naruto was better off under guidance of Kakashi . Those 2 years spent in Training have nothing to show for .

i think thats an easy one to answer, for those 3 years? it seems like his just learnt about the Red Chakra....... before Jiraiya took Naruto, he could
only use 1 tail, but his training with Jiraiya allow Naruto to become much more
powerful by using 4 tails. thats also what "THAT JUSTU" was, it was the Rasengun in
Kyuubi mode, that nearly killed Oro even with the Hell Demon barrers up. either that or it was going 4 tails...
my issue with that is didn't naruto know this? that is was only safe to go 2 or 3 tails?
in fact i remember we barely even saw him go to 3 tails. he powered up straight 1-2-3-4!..... i'm sure there's a way Naruto could just leave it at 3 tails.

anyway its all too late now, with the wind element, he doesn't need the tails anymore. that plus Sasuke knows more about the Kyuubi than we first thought.

ShikaShika 2007-02-02 07:47

It does bother me a little that Naruto apparently didn't learn very much with Jiraiya, but other than that I'm not bothered by Naruto's slow development. It's a part off his character, and I'm not worried about him getting there eventually. I'm in no rush to see him as the new yondaime, so I like to be able to enjoy the comedy of his failures while we still can.

That and what Hunter said.

Mr. Johnny 5 2007-02-02 09:27

Under Jiraiya 2.5 years:
- Naruto's body is able to handle 3x more tails (loses consciousness after the 4th tail)
- Learned to defend himself against genjutsu
- Learn Oodama Rasengan
- Is faster(handseals), stronger, better use of jutsu's
- That Jutsu!?

(Beyond my doubts...he learned to fight with Gamabunta and can summon clearly at will...this would make common sense)

I think he'll remain stupid for a long while...well let's just say he'll always be the underdog.

prolifik 2007-02-02 11:14

Why do most of you want him to become Sasuke when a lot of you hate him? You want him to be smart, you want him to succeed at everything he does, and you want him to be more serious. If Kishi did all of those things we would have another Sasuke.

This particular manga would be boring if Naruto succeeded at everything he did, and I don't think that 1 week of training would change his whole personality.

DeDe 2007-02-02 12:15

I think a lot of Naruto fanboys sort of live vicariously through Naruto. They want him to be awesome, be attractive to all the hot girls they like, and to own all the bad guys. He's their proxy. The geeky loser who becomes the popular guy and replaces the pretty emo boy Sasuke as Homecoming King.

But I like that Naruto is still goofy no matter how powerful he is. I admit I am not a fangirl of him, but there is a charm in him being the underdog. Give him too much power and he becomes hard to root for. I like my shonen heroes to be flawed. And it's not like he hasn't shown maturity with some of his lines in Part 2.

Cha0s 2007-02-03 05:31

naruto wouldn't be the same if he all of a sudden changed into sasuke all serious and never messing up
and relax dude, he's the first one to be able to add wind to chakra..

dude thats reminds me i freaken saw the hole he made when he was with yamato.. did nayone see that? it was like a freaken meteor crater jesus go look around those chapters you'll see it. i wanna see kakuzu get BLASTED by it all of his hearts die at once.

Luminion Lancer 2007-02-06 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cha0s (Post 821121)
dude thats reminds me i freaken saw the hole he made when he was with yamato.. did nayone see that? it was like a freaken meteor crater jesus go look around those chapters you'll see it. i wanna see kakuzu get BLASTED by it all of his hearts die at once.

Spoiler for manga chapter 341:

chaz017 2007-02-07 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeDe (Post 820242)
I think a lot of Naruto fanboys sort of live vicariously through Naruto. They want him to be awesome, be attractive to all the hot girls they like, and to own all the bad guys. He's their proxy. The geeky loser who becomes the popular guy and replaces the pretty emo boy Sasuke as Homecoming King.

But I like that Naruto is still goofy no matter how powerful he is. I admit I am not a fangirl of him, but there is a charm in him being the underdog. Give him too much power and he becomes hard to root for. I like my shonen heroes to be flawed. And it's not like he hasn't shown maturity with some of his lines in Part 2.

Ah how true. While Naruto isn't my favorite character in the series I wouldn't want him to change just because he's become stronger. To me that would defeat the purpose of showing that a loser or "dropout" (which I dunno why they use that term) so to speak can accomplish great things if he tries hard enough. I would find him a lot less likable if he was to turn into another Sasuke type character. He should/needs to always stay the same ole Naruto. Even if that character is a little dumb sometimes and has flaws he is only 15. Give the guy some time to develope. Jeez.

As for a solid answer to How long is Naruto going to be the "Hopeless loser with potential"?...until he becomes Hokage? I guess even at that point he would still have potential but I dunno how easy it would be to argue that he's a hopeless loser.

MysticNinjaJay 2007-02-08 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeDe (Post 820242)

There's no need to be eccentric about it.

All I am saying is that there were moments where Naruto puts on a clutch performance to show that he is growing.

He has done this several times and it always reminds us that HE is the main character and though he is a goof at heart he is improving.

I'd never want Naruto to be Sasuke. Naruto's goofy personality does have a charm to it, but when it comes to important fighting situations like this one against Kakuzu, hyping up his new jutsu and then turning him into a bumbling oaf in the middle of battle is just stupid.

Look at Jiraiya. He's an immature pervert. He can have his silly moments too when in good taste, but he is also a good ninja.

Naruto used to have his moments too but I think Kishi is picking the wrong moments to remind us that "Naruto is Naruto".