AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   (L) Centaur no Nayami (A Centaur's Life) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=115155)

vansonbee 2012-10-01 16:10

Centaur no Nayami (A Centaur's Life)

http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/manga/2/76597.jpg
Synopsis
Himeno is a sweet, shy little centaur girl. In her world, everyone seems to be a supernatural creature, and all her classmates have some kind of horns, wings, tails, halos, or other visible supernatural body part. Despite their supernatural elements, Himeno and her best friends, Nozomi and Kyoko, have a fun and mostly normal daily school life!

This series reminds me of two certain favorite series of mine, one is "Daily Life With A Monster Girl", but no serious love relationship and the other would be K-ON! set-up (multiple girls).

Irenicus 2012-10-05 01:14

I don't care what anyone else says, I'm calling first on Ms. Class-Rep Angel.

This series is actually really creative. The author creates the modern world with many nonhuman species and push the concept all the way, writing it as if it's just a normal slice of life, dropping funny little hints at past and world issues (oh racism).

Also lol chapter 4. What...timely politics. :P

Myssa Rei 2012-10-05 03:18

Well this is an interesting (and rather cute) find. Kind of swaps out humans with fantasy races, and see how they cope with stuff that your average Joe or Jane wouldn't even blink about (like being too big for your house).

I kind of groaned at Hime's father's intent at recording the Obama-analogue's speech though.

vansonbee 2012-10-05 16:04

Chapter 5 was nice read.

Hime little cousin sister came to visit and we got to see Class Rep triplet little sister. Class Rep little sisters are cats and inherited from their dad side. It was cute chapter overall, though there was strong influences of "yuri". This series might turn out like Yuru Yuri LOL

I believe Hime little cousin sister should still weigh a lot, even for a little girl (half horse).

Myssa Rei 2012-10-05 20:26

Interesting explanation on just why we have monster people instead of normal humans in the extra chapter. However, am I the only one who's bothered by the fact that there seems to be a political officer overseeing what's taught at the schools?

vansonbee 2012-10-05 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myssa Rei (Post 4383215)
Interesting explanation on just why we have monster people instead of normal humans in the extra chapter. However, am I the only one who's bothered by the fact that there seems to be a political officer overseeing what's taught at the schools?

In chapter 5? I might of miss it whole heartily... can you care to elaborate?

Did notice nice detail on the kitten sister tail, when the older sis pull them out. It looks just what a real cat would react.

Irenicus 2012-10-05 21:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansonbee (Post 4383305)
In chapter 5? I might of miss it whole heartily... can you care to elaborate?

It's the extra chapter, 5.5.

I thought it was a clever hint on, so I speculate, the possibly more virulent racism in this alternate reality and the more stringent response that was "required." It was actually hinted at earlier with how one of Hime's friends flat out refused to "ride" her and was uncomfortable even discussing it.

There are even extinct species like the the Tiger-men (from India, maybe?) and ongoing world conflicts like the Antarctica snake people thing.

Pretty heavy background for a slice of life/school life series with a cutie-pie protagonist. Mind you, I thought the notion of European knightly angel slavers, Mongol centaurs, and Japanese centaur samurai vaguely hilarious.

Myssa Rei 2012-10-05 22:19

Also, during the main chapter itself. How the heck can a Fairy Tale end on such a blatant pro-Democracy note? They read these kinds of stuff to children? It's worrisome how it doesn't even end with a "Happy Ever After".

Myssa Rei 2012-10-07 19:31

New chapter translated. At the rate they're going, they're going to catch up with the rest of Volume 2.

So, the worry for the chapter is... Hair. To be specific, Himeno's massive fall of hair, which is turning into a danger to her friends (as Nozomi soon finds out one windy day). What follows is a look at teenaged expectations on haircuts (like how Nozomi sees growing her hair long as a pain, and how Hime sees it as an expense her family might not like), and yet another hint of the Crap Saccharine World nature of the setting (Class Rep mentioning that appearing without a halo actually needs a MEDICAL CERTIFICATE, or else the fact that its missing might make it seem that she's been the target of hate crimes).

This chapter by the way reinforces the idea that Himeno's goofy dad is a bit of a book nut, who still goes out of his way to buy books despite the fact that the family still has loans to pay.

ninryu 2012-10-08 13:05

I read this at Dynasty Scans, I really like it. The explanations and depth the author put in the background of the universe is amazing. Especially the alternate evolution, which as a huge science nerd made me squall like a little girl.

But sometimes I wonder if the author is doing a social satire or if he's just fucking with us... *sweat*

risingstar3110 2012-10-09 01:50

Just picked this series up and really enjoyed it so far. I means the author really creative with the social structures, especially on centaur's lifestyle, and notably the racial problems between each races. Like riding on centaur back, or cutting off angel's halo.

But yeah just reread ch 5.5, and it was a nice touch of the author, mentioned about how human (in their world) has gone extincted, and wondering if we still alive, wouldn't we get over some minor thing like skin colour and lives peacefully

PS: did anyone just realised how despite all races can accept each other, the society there is still more or less homophobic? With heterosexual is still the main right assumption, and homosexual something out of left field? Actually i guess the author keeps up that element to play on yuri flag, as it won't be as interesting if there's no little social taboo in it

ninryu 2012-10-09 04:04

I wouldn't say they aren't any social taboos after all the talk about the Centaurs. And of course, I read it on a yuri website, so yeah.

The angels' regrowing halo is fucking hilarious.

Myssa Rei 2012-10-09 18:17

Oh hey, a new chapter. This time around it's a Winter and Summer chapter, the latter of which focusing on... Mermaid school.

Kind of worrying how an armed solder seems to be guarding the threshhold of the place.

That aside, the dialogue between the friends shines once again. Particularly this particular gem:

(Sees mermaid being carried by her catguy boyfriend)

Himeno: I wish someone would carry me like a princess.
Nozomi: You'd have to date a CRANE (the construction machine)!

ShiroiRyu 2012-10-09 20:00

For a monster girl lover like me, a manga about all of theses is just perfect.
Despite it's not Daily Life Monster, this is cute and that is important. ^^

risingstar3110 2012-10-09 20:00

This chapter got into some yuri subtext. The two who kissed before actually was a couple (or don't mind others seeing them as such). While right after that conversation when Himeno wished that she can be carried around like a princess, Nozomi was look at her arm muscle like she was wishing it would be strong enough to carry Himeno :D

The mermaid school is surprising normal, I thought they would have waterproof book or something. And it seems the mermaid part is only up to where the water level is. Was interesting seeing the one with non-beautiful-features in the mountain class, suddenly becomes popular down there

vansonbee 2012-10-11 19:09

This series is being release so quickly! I guess we were behind (which is good)!

Chapter 8 was bit different than the norm. There was actually some violent parts and unexpected request to save a child.

8.5 was a weird omake... very. Especially the toilet part >_<

Myssa Rei 2012-10-12 01:12

Yeah, while the chapter with the mounted archery and the New Year at the shrine was du-jour (seeing the Class Rep's family is always welcome!), the extra chapter was really weird. I had a feeling it was only done to fill up space for the compilation.

P.S. Anyone else notice how the mirror enshrined in the Minamo shrine bounced and cracked? In a fantasy manga, that foreshadows BAD THINGS (or in the case of Maga-Tsuki, lots of hijinks).

ninryu 2012-10-12 11:35

Class rep in miko outfit~ The omake made me laugh, being Antartican is suffering.

vansonbee 2012-10-12 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninryu (Post 4393063)
Class rep in miko outfit~ The omake made me laugh, being Antartican is suffering.

Antartican are the snake/lizard people right? I hope the snake face only applies for the males! :p

I wanna see a female top and snake bottom, hehe.

risingstar3110 2012-10-13 03:32

Wa, Himeno kept building up her harem of all ages, this time making Ms. angel Manami acting like lovestruck tsundere schoolgirl with her centaur leap :D
And like always, our centaur girl have huge appetite on sweet. Remind me chapter 3 when her friends asked her about her secret

But yeah the omake was weird. Aren't the owners ordinary human? Why are they in my Centaur no Nayami series