AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Manga (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Aku no Hana (The Flowers of Evil) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=103326)

frubam 2011-04-11 23:04

Aku no Hana (The Flowers of Evil)

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...bam/th_000.jpg

Genre: drama, psychological, romance, school life, shounen
Author/Artist: Oshimi Shuuzou

Synopsis:
The story opens as middle school student Takao Kasuga receives an F on a math test. But he doesn't even seem to notice because he's too engrossed in surreptitiously reading Beaudelaire's The Flowers of Evil. And the day goes downhill from there. In a moment of weakness, he finds and takes home the gym clothes belonging to sweet, pretty Nanako Saeki on whom he has a major crush. Unfortunately for Takao, there's a witness to the theft: Nakamura, who has a huge chip on her shoulder and a sadistic streak.

As the saga unfolds, we see Takao struggling to decide whether to confess or cover up his misdeeds at the same time that he tries to win over the girl of his dreams, and avoid the blackmail attempts of Nakamura.

Nakamura is an interesting character, I was easily reminded of Onani Master Kurosawa's Kitahara. Very similar with the blackmail scenario, but Nakamura's more enigmatic. It is very interesting to read since you do not know the reasoning behind her motives as she psychologically, verbally, and occasionally physically(though not dangerously) abuses Kasuga. You'll want to continue reading to see what she'll have him do next, what he'll do in reaction to it, and how she will react to his reaction in the end(hope that makes sense :p).

Normally, I can't stand weak male characters. I've had enough of them for the time being, and at first glance, you get the impression that Kasuga is "weak". Maybe he is, since he does freak out a lot(because of Nakamura), but as I read through the chapters, it felt like he was simply 'young'. Forced into a situation he was afraid of with dire consequences if he didn't do what he was told, I can understand why he acts the way he does. It's very interesting to see how he'll get out of the next situation Nakamura puts him in.

Translation might seem off/odd in some areas, not enough to impact the story as a whole, but this was a solo effort, so...y'know... Art is okay; not ugly, but not beautiful to look at except certain moments where they put in the extra bit of details.

Spoiler for up to chp 14:

Ravenblitz 2011-04-11 23:18

disturbing i've read until the date thingy.. the MC is wearing his date's clothes

jzmagic 2011-04-11 23:28

MC is hands down one of the most pathetic characters ever. Has there been a chapter where he's not crying or having a mental break down?

frubam 2011-04-12 07:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzmagic (Post 3567588)
MC is hands down one of the most pathetic characters ever. Has there been a chapter where he's not crying or having a mental break down?

No, at least up to chapter 14. But that's the fun. Normally, I'd facepalm at this sort of thing, but I actually enjoy Kasuga panicking and freaking out as much as Nakamura does .

vansonbee 2011-09-29 23:32

Its been 4 months since the last release, is this series not popular enough to be translated by anyone?

Still on chapter 17

frubam 2011-09-30 16:40

The translations stopped because it was only 3 volumes at the time =0(. The 4th volume came out at the end of last month, but the translator said s/he would probably end up doing it at a snail's pace.

vansonbee 2011-09-30 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by frubam (Post 3786389)
The translations stopped because it was only 3 volumes at the time =0(. The 4th volume came out at the end of last month, but the translator said s/he would probably end up doing it at a snail's pace.

Thanks, as long as its coming, I don't care :p

How did you know s/he stated that though? reps

frubam 2011-09-30 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by vansonbee (Post 3786421)
Thanks, as long as its coming, I don't care :p

How did you know s/he stated that though? reps

I would occasionally hit up the blog the translator was using for his/her releases. It was stated on there.

Sean Gaffney 2011-10-01 05:13

This title has been licensed by Vertical, who made the announcement last night at Anime Weekend Atlanta.

Bonta Kun 2011-10-08 12:14

So gave this a little look and not sure what to make of it, on one hand it's nothing great or even good I think but on the other it did keep me reading for how many chapters are out so far.

Not greatly fond of the MC, freaking out every chance you get did wear thin pretty quickly.
The, what I can only say is a rather troubled and perverted girl didn't quite take my fancy either.
While I'm all for crazy girls and all, this one didn't quite hit the mark.
However the other girl(the girlfriend) I did quite like, she does seems to have her "issues" as well, altho maybe not as bad as the other 2...unless you want to say the semi-yandere is bad but I don' think it's gone so far for me to say so.
She's oddly charming compared to the other 2.

Now I won't question the lad's initial action at the start, I've learned to live with that type of stuff happening(even if I want to question it at times, you just can't help yourself sometimes:p) and I don't think I got the enegry to bother with it.

Will I keep reading it? Yea I think I'll give it a few more chapters, just to see if anything or what comes of the realtionship between the lad and his gf cause thats the only thing thats of interest depsite all the other somewhat crazy-ness going on.

vansonbee 2012-04-11 16:21

Spoiler for 22:

Kirito 2012-04-11 16:42

How the kid is at a all time low and more pathetic. I've seen volume 5 and all I can say is: somebody just kill this loser...literally.

Tenchi Hou Take 2012-04-11 17:05

The kid's clearly not supposed to be liked, at this point he isn't simply a character he's more a representative of a certain type of human psychology, with this story exploring that type. Looking at it from personal likes and dislikes is missing the point.

The isssue is I have no idea what the overall moral and philosophy of this story is even though their blatantly is one, and it isn't exactly being explained very well even if just to provide a rough idea.

frubam 2012-05-08 10:02

Spoiler for 23:

Kirito 2012-05-08 12:47

I'm sensing "School Days" vibes from Saeki, and it upsets me is that she refuses to give up on that loser.

Well don't worry it's not all day:

Spoiler for Upcoming Warning:

Riltz 2012-05-08 16:38

And that boys is how you turn a innocent pure girl into a yandere.

Hope to see more as i love yanderes :D

kasimmorathi 2012-05-08 17:13

Feel free to take this for pure speculation and armchair doctorate garbage but...

The main character is somewhat sociopathic; he adopts his personality based upon the things and people around him. At the beginning of our story he has essentially read tons of books and from them derived that he is somehow different or special from others. He's not necessarily a bad kid at this stage, but very easily manipulated as we see. As the story progresses it is clear that he reaches some mid-stage catharsis on the road when he admits that he is nothing. Of course, the problem in this is that he was pushed toward this by a narcissist that he now feels he absolutely cannot give up in any way. Her happiness becomes absolute to him, especially symbolized in the way that she tears up his book and throws it in his face.

He's not a pervert, his only self-inflicted perverted action at this point has been the theft of the gym clothes which might be blamed more on panic than deliberate action. It was only when he started to become manipulated that those gym clothes took on a more symbolic meaning. Now, even when stealing panties he doesn't do it for any self satisfaction at all. He does it purely to make the crazy girl happy. This is best shown, in my opinion, when she drapes a leg over his shoulder but he doesn't try to sneak a peek or blush.. he just gives this almost insane smile straight to her. She has become his whole world and is terrified he's going to be lost without her.

Saeki isn't much better of course, she feels that she was nothing and now the boy has become her world in turn. The only saving grace may now be that she is becoming obsessed with saving him from this perceived threat. Which might just as quickly turn nasty.

Strangely dark story and I feel going to end tragically.

kaito-kid 2012-05-08 20:25

This manga is a piece of art!
The artist accurately portrays the awkwardness that comes with being a teenager in a very over exaggerated but suggestive manner. Great portrayal of a teenagers first encounter with true fear, hate, sexuality and love.

Aesthetic Shampoo 2012-05-09 02:32

If the author doesn't mess up the ending, this manga will be all the way up there with Onani Master Kurosawa. It's amazing.

Kirito 2012-05-09 02:56

I just want to see how far the kid is going to screw up. At the end of the day the kid is screwed, no matter what he does, just like the dude in Uwakoi.