AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Kanon (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   Kanon - 2006 - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=44453)

xris 2007-03-19 10:20

Kanon - 2006 - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire 24 episodes of Kanon (2006) ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, speculation on the possible DVD only bonus episodes, etc., etc…

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Will there be additional DVD only episodes and what will they contain.

• How did the anime compare with the game?
  • Characters/Character Design
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers could have done better.
And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Adaptation from Game: 1-10
Editing: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Dagger 2007-03-19 10:48

Gave it a very subjective 9 based on how I personally came to feel about it. If I were rating it against other shows or trying to measure its value in the pantheon of anime, the rating would be much lower--but that's not the point of this thread, is it?

My primary complaint is that it is not at all friendly to first-time viewers. I had even been spoiled for key aspects of the end story, and I still felt this way. Instead of grabbing you from the start, the show eases its way in. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it works better for those who are aware of the foreshadowing that's being laid down--those who understand the characters' roles--than people who are fresh to the series.

Initially I was resigned to accept Kanon as a string of decent to excellent character arcs. Only by the very end did the overarching themes come together in a cohesive way. Only then did I realize how much more coherent and smooth the show would seem upon a rewatch. Only then did I recognize that I had gone into it with completely the wrong expectations. "Sad girls in snow" is a misnomer; that's not what Kanon is about. I thought I was watching a tragedy like AIR when I was really watching a story about miracles. When this clicked, I was able to accept everything in the last episode, because it make perfect emotional and thematic sense.

My only complaint about art/animation is that there were some episodes in which chibi Yuuichi and Ayu's eyes were much larger than they should have been. Perhaps this will be evened out for the DVD release.

justinstrife 2007-03-19 10:50

I have to give this series a 10. It had some of the highest animation I'd ever seen for a series of this genre/nature. The snow, the water at the fountain, the marble, the tear Ayu cried when she kissed Yuuichi... All of it was simply breath taking.

Voice actors too were spot on for me. Sugita(sp?) had some of his best work yet here. The guy really is a genius at this. When he woke up from the dream in 22, and remembered everything about Ayu finally, I honestly thought he was having an asthma attack.

Script, I'd rate as a high 9, so for rounding off sake, I'll make it a 10. In no way was I confused about anything I'd seen, I thought fair time was made for all the girls, and a story that is suppose to have 5 completely seperate routes, was weaved together beautifully. Especially compared to the poor job done on Shuffle. This is how a game to anime, SHOULD be done.

Adaptation from the game? It was obvious they would have to make some changes to make the weaving work, but those changes didn't detract from the overall feel of the experience, and the girls' stories. Nayuki still had some things to resolve, but alas, since it was obvious she wasn't a love interest to Yuuichi in the series, I could understand why things were done the way they were done. I still felt an impact on her story though and could feel pity for her.

And my final short statement. This journey was very very enjoyable. Between the sad moments, the happy moments, and the laughing moments, I loved it from start to finish. I will be watching the series again straight through next weekend to savor this work, as it has moved into my top 10 list. The music score was outstanding, the animation was outstanding, the voices were outstanding, and my heart was touched by every girl's story. And FINALLY a male lead I could route for! I'm so sick and tired of the Keitaro's that I've been having to suffer through in so many anime over the last 20 years. I can't relate to them at all!

So yes with the ending wrapping everything up for me, a 10 is the least I could give it.

Will

Skyfall 2007-03-19 11:10

For overall rating i would give it somewhere between 8.5/10 and 9/10. (thus - voting 9)

Animation part does not need any comments - it was top grade stuff. Overkill CG marble any one ? :) Snow and water was beyond excellent as well.

Now, pacing in some episodes is something i am going to complain about... and all of them are Ayu centric :heh: The first half of the last ep felt especially "jumpy" :heh: I also didn't like how they "wrote out" characters once their respective arcs were over. Although they tried to justify it, it still didn't sit well with me. I mean...how believable is the fact that Yuuichi never tried to visit Shiori after she ran off ? How come he never visited Sayuri and Mai in hospital, bare the first time right after they were hospitalized ?

I was not exactly pleased that they seemed to forget Mishio's existence altogether once she had served her role in Makoto's arc. Speaking about Makoto's arc... that thing should have been shorter imo, making way for more time to blow on the ending, and making it feel less rushed.

I am not sure i am too happy about the Ayu Deus-ex machine they pulled in the end, but since it fits in with the overall theme of Kanon i am not going to complain much about it. The last episode gave the feeling of an epilogue... except it wasn't one :heh:

Overall it was highly enjoyable and high quality experience. Even though i felt it was a tad lacking at several points, it is still lightyears better than a lot of anime out there.

Rewatch is in order. :)

EDIT: Oh, and about the remark that this Kanon is not newbie-friendly: I wholeheartedly disagree. I am a first time viewer of Kanon, and i can not, for the life of me, figure out why that would be true. I didn't feel like i was missing anything.

fairy_mouse 2007-03-19 11:23

In the remake of Kanon series, is there anything movie like the old Kanon special.
I mean, whether they will make the new episode for an new ending.

Sai the Dreamer 2007-03-19 11:24

I had to shell out a 9 here, because as beautiful as Kanon was, the few flaws remained, and as such it isn't quite "perfect". Still, overall this was a very enjoyable and addictive series.

Being a KyoAni series, it's all but unimportant that a suitably high quality animation be sustained. To be honest, some scenes could have been portrayed better. The eyeshadows from episode 18 were a good case of this - there's better ways to set up the required mood for that episode, such as covering their faces with hair, which they've done before in this series.

For voice acting, there was one scene in Shiori's arc (by, ironically, Kaori's seiyuu) which I didn't feel quite came across like I'd expected. After the conclusion to her arc, however, I realised this was probably intentional. The performance by each and every seiyuu has been simply breathtaking - from the energetic Ayu, to the remorseful Shiori, to the taciturn Mai, and so on - every character was portrayed accurately and beautifully.

My main gripe is with the pacing of this entire series. It's like a rollercoaster: For the first 10 episodes, we're going up the ramp. Then Mai's comes, and we plummet to doom. Shiori's story is another uphill rollercoaster ride, followed by the not-so-epic final sector with Ayu and Nayuki. At this point the 'coaster starts speeding beyond safety limits, and unharmonically slides off the tracks. That's by no means a representation of my thoughts about each arc; just how quickly it flashed by. :p

Everything about the series was beautiful, but the nature of the plot definitely detracts from the overall experience. At Makoto's arc, I was bawling my eyes out. With Mai, it was down to normal crying. Shiori had to make do with sniffles, and by Ayu's turn, I didn't have any emotions left. Even the events of episodes 22-23 didn't manage to do much more than make me think, "Oh, so that's what happened..."

Overall, the series would have been perfect if not for the sloopy pacing and deviant-based plot. Still, it was a very enjoyable experience, and it's successfully left me hanging for more. Bring on Clannad!

Storm-and-Fire 2007-03-19 12:08

9/10 from me.

Kanon was undoubtedly one of the most expected anime of fall. The very first episode was boring as hell, but as I kept watching, I became so immersed in the story. I believe that the arc that was done the best was Makoto's. I cried a river...

Anyway...

My only complaint would have to be the way high-school girls were portrayed. I don't know if high-school girls in Japan are like Nayuki or Sayuri, but I do know that the girl who seemed to be closer to the high school reality I'm used to is Kaori. However, this has nothing to do with the anime, as they adapted already existing material.

Now, I'll need to play the game to fully understand Kanon...

Skane 2007-03-19 12:27

It will be interesting to see how the overall score tallies with the average of the episode threads( I got all the data in MExcel). I didn't expect this thread to be formed this early though. :heh: Looks like I need to finish up my write-up sooner than expected. Oh noes! I still got so much to write! :eek:

Aie!

Ultima_Rasengan05 2007-03-19 15:06

overall i gave Kanon a 10/10!!
As a first time viewer, i really did enjoy this series...although i have to admit the first two episodes were kinda slow for me...but soon went up to speed as soon as Makoto's story started to take place!!

animation, of course its Kyoto animations, so i have no complaints about that...they did great animations for Full Metal Panic! TSR and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu...and did the same for Kanon...so no complaints!!

for story....it was all good...except i kinda felt that towards the ending...Shiori, Nayuki, and Ayu's stories were kinda short...or somewhat rushed??!
but either way, i still enjoyed their stories in the Kanon series!!

now only in time until some English Licensing company might consider to pick up the license for this show....

FatPianoBoy 2007-03-19 15:07

A nine. While it may be a bit early to start calling this a new classic, I don't think it's a stretch. I think this will be the romance/harem (yes, I used the h-word) anime by which all others shall be judged in the years to come for many reasons, most of which are very obvious or I've already explained elsewhere.

So, if it's so great, why a nine?

Something weird happened to the animation in the last episode. Even if it was just a funky raw file and no fault of KyoAni, though, other complaints are too heavy to bump it up.
The ending felt like a cut-and-paste jub done in a rush. I'm a huge fan of the "beautiful mess" element (Firefly, Don Quixote, Simoun), and much of Kanon's messes are quite wonderful, but the ending was definitely one of the least beautiful of them. It's a bit hard to point out this flaw fairly, as KyoAni had to pretty much write their own ending because of the format, but the problem exists regardless. Ayu's "macro wish" felt a bit too convenient, but I think people are blowing it out of proportion, as it really only benefitted Shiori and Akiko.

Something that I didn't notice until just now: everyone complains that Makoto's arch was way too long. However, how long was her arch, really? Most of what has been considered as her arch still contains a lot of focus on all the other characters as well, and it really doesn't become Makoto-exclusive until around episode seven, which would put her focus over four episodes; not much of a stretch, in my opinion. I think that rather the introduction was much too slow, although it did end up fooling us into a false sense of security :heh:

Kaioshin Sama 2007-03-19 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultima_Rasengan05 (Post 868379)
overall i gave Kanon a 10/10!!
As a first time viewer, i really did enjoy this series...although i have to admit the first two episodes were kinda slow for me...but soon went up to speed as soon as Makoto's story started to take place!!

animation, of course its Kyoto animations, so i have no complaints about that...they did great animations for Full Metal Panic! TSR and Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu...and did the same for Kanon...so no complaints!!

for story....it was all good...except i kinda felt that towards the ending...Shiori, Nayuki, and Ayu's stories were kinda short...or somewhat rushed??!
but either way, i still enjoyed their stories in the Kanon series!!

now only in time until some English Licensing company might consider to pick up the license for this show....

There is still the option of 9.9/10 if you found some flaws, which you did. The good thing about this thread is we're not locked into the real numbers scale and we can use decimals. Of course when putting the rating into the database we still have to round up. Anyway I don't know if I'm allowed to speculate about the speculation system or whatever weird loop it was I just did.:confused:

To the guy who asked about a new ending, I don't think the series is actually over and done with. I think somewhere it was mentioned that there were going to be 2 extra episodes on the DVD's. Whether that amounts to something like Shakugan No Shana-Tan or 2 actualy full length episodes I don't know.

Vexx 2007-03-19 15:17

I'll give a "9" purely because I'd like to give it a "9.something". I won't waste time on all the superlatives and glowy feelings the show gave me. The minor problems that kept it from my "10" book were:
1) minor pacing and transition issues... towards the climax and ending, it felt rushed. Having an anime series go from "too plodding" to "omigodwe'reoutoftime" is endemic to the industry but KyoAni comes closest to avoiding the problem, but personally, I saw two episodes worth of material crammed into the last one. There was one transition issue that jarred me a bit (post-Makoto normalcy). And sometimes the ED really jarred after a poignant end scene. I might have used another version of "Last Regrets" in some episodes.
2) no one died ... this is a mixed issue for me. I would have been fine with one or more mysteries ending in death (even my beautiful Mai) because the air of tragedy throughout the series demanded sacrifice. There is victory in death (see AIR) expecially when reincarnation from the Shinto/Buddhist perspective is considered. On the other hand, Kanon is about miracles so Ayu executing a "gaming exploit" to macro-wish the end (Yuuichi==happy) was just clever Ayu and completely acceptable to me.
3) ... ... ... there were other minor bits but now they escape me. Things like Akiko knowing As Much as she did without being a bit more confused. What is she, some bodisvhatta?? (well, yes actually) or the lack of blood with Mai.

Uptics:
Our "Nayuki confession" was time-inverted (when they were young) so that we saw the after-Nayuki as she came to terms with that. Fascinating way to sidestep possible problems yet give fans of Nayuki as much as they did.
Same with Mai... we got more Mai than I'd hoped for. We got delightful moments with Shiori (see my sig)... there were SO MANY moments of humor to balance the blackness. The other uptics other posters have pointe out.

Definitely worthy and one of the better examples of what anime can accomplish with the drama format.

npal 2007-03-19 15:28

Ok let's see.

I believe I am known for criticizing Kanon for a number of things. After finishing this one, I'll sum up what I thought about the whole thing.

First the Good part.

1. Animation. The animation was excellent as always, I don't think I need to say anything more regarding the issue. This affects the moeness of the girls obviously, and seeing well drawn cuties in each episode is good for the brain.

2. Ending. In this section is the good bit of the ending. It covered all bases, let all characters participate and was generally well received, almost conclusive, although my personal preference would wish for something more extended. It IS better than Toei's however, which I've seen, so it was more easily acceptable.

3. Makoto's arc. For me, Makoto is still the character who shines the most throughout Kanon and her story is what I believe should have been the overall theme of Kanon regarding miracles. And it was during her arc that I felt Yuuichi was the best he could be. Nothing felt forced, the tragedy, Makoto's miracle and the sacrifices that sometimes have to be made were illustrated very well.

4. Sayuri's story. This has to be the most excellent addition to this version. For me it rivals Makoto's arc in both meaning and effect, and gives a good deal of depth to a somewhat secondary character.

5. Yuuichi's revelations. Yay, finally, mistakes! What do you know, he is human after all! Well yes, you can't fix everything. His revelation that he chose an illusion over reality was well placed, as he can know acknowledge a number of errors along the way (although Nayuki's case was perhaps the most obvious and the one that wasn't really resolved, and was the only one he directly caused).

6. Stuff of preference. Nayuki is my favorite girl, so seeing her on screen was bliss. Her arc was painful to watch as it was simple, human, and lacked special miracle powers, which made it all the more interesting to watch. That and I found Ayu's long hair version to actually be very moe. And the same can be said about the real Makoto, although I always liked kitsune-Makoto anyway.

7. Comedy. The comedy was one of the best aspects of this version. Yuuichi's antics and funny interactions with other characters are memorable.

Ok, here's what I didn't like.

1. Ayu happy ending... Bleh... Every possible miracle occuring... Overabundance of miracles. A supreme Deus ex machina, where everyone is happy and all is well... Ok... Cute, but disappointing. While miracles can happen, miracle cataclysm with no ill effect on anyone isn't my idea of expanding on the miracle theme. The ending was nice fanservice, but as far as I am concerned, lacked depth in the miracle area. They should have followed Makoto's miracle notion. Add to that the miracle of the headband discovery, just lying around, perfectly fine after 7 years... Let's be a little more real, please, even children's fairytales are more down to earth than this one.

2. Nayuki... Why does Nayuki always have to get the short end of the deal...? Her reconciliation with Yuuichi was cute, for a lack of a better word, but I thought they wanted to somehow get her out of the way, again. Not to mention that, for all his supposed guilt, Yuuichi was quick to discard Nayuki's situation, a situation which he was directly responsible for. And for seven years of pilling up depression, having your letters go unanswered, fearing the guy you love hates you, not being loved back while he casually dates girls he didn't know before (Shiori), she sure forgave him easily. It could happen of course, I mean he did apologize for the bunny.. But the whole thing felt like they got over Nayuki pretty quickly, with the emphasis being placed, again, on Ayu. Add to them not explaining Nayuki's sleep pattern, and yes... I believe she got the short end. Her arc could have been much more developed, but she got shafted for the "true" Ayu ending, again.

3. Ayu's romance. Where was that love again, which appeared suddenly on ep 19? From what I recall, Yuuichi remembered Ayu long before ep 19, so, if there was a childhood love somewhere, where was it shown before ep 19? There was no buildup whatsoever. I'd consider Yuuichi running to visit Shiori and confess to her much more plausible.

4. Supporting characters. That was apparent in Mai's and Shiori's arc where Yuuichi practically did everything with little help. Both Sayuri and Kaori were more or less eliminated from playing any essential role during Mai's and Shiori's arc, when, at least certainly for Shiori, her sister was the most important person. Makoto's arc can be excused since she really had no one else.

5. Characters disappear. Ok, the episode count isn't infinite, but some secondary characters could have been used a bit more. Then again, even main characters almost fade from existence once their arc resolves. I share the concern of those who were puzzled with Yuuichi not visiting either Mai or Shiori. I mean, ok, Mai will apparently get well, but for all Yuuichi knows, Shiori can die any day, yet he doesn't pay even one visit?

There is one thing that I found neither good or bad but kind of uninteresting and that's the music. For me, music in a medium (movie or otherwise) is serious business. Yet, I didn't find the OP and ED captivating, and, beside the well-known classical Canon masterpiece, the rest of the BGM was either too subtle to notice or totally forgettable. While the music wasn't bad, it wasn't anything interesting for me either and that's not a good thing for my enjoyment of a series.

Overall... Well, I must admit that I rate it higher than Toei's version. Then again, Toei had to stick the same material in 13 episodes, so I'm not sure if comparison is appropriate. But for me, it gets a 6. It had some nice elements, but they were counterbalanced by things I didn't like or found disappointing. What I believe to be Kanon's main flaw is the miracle theme and how that miracle theme is resolved in the ending. I'll probably watch Makoto's arc alone if I am going to rewatch anything of this. But ok, it wasn't a total waste of time. And I got tons of moe girl goodness, so I can live with it. But there are much better series out there for both drama and good storytelling IMO.

Mirrinus 2007-03-19 15:39

I'm one of those people who do not believe in decimals when giving scores because I simply don't see how .1 of a score could really mean any difference, when my own margin of error is already at least +-.5 points.

Anyway, I chose to give it 9/10 because I cannot call this show perfect really, but there was definitely an enormous wealth of good stuff in its favor. This may sound silly, but I approach judging anime in a style similar to courtroom law. To score 9/10 or above, it must reach "beyond a reasonable doubt" level. A 6/10 would be "preponderance of evidence", a 3/10 would be "probable cause", and a 2/10 would be "reasonable suspicion", etc. Then, like in a court of law, I simply weigh positive and negative arguments against each other. Quantity of such arguments is not what's important; what's important is how compelling each argument is. For example, reusing the snow bunny flashback 3 times in episode 22 was annoying for me, but it's not compelling because it did serve a purpose and only took up a few seconds anyway. A more compelling negative argument would be not explaining the reason behind Nayuki's sleepiness, which I thought was rather important to fleshing out her story.

A 10/10 would be incredibly hard to reach, just like how rare it is in law. While 9/10 would be removal of reasonable doubt (i.e. somewhat compelling evidence against), 10/10 is more like removing all doubt, which is pretty much impossible unless the defense attorney doesn't have a pulse or something.

I felt like the prosecution put up a remarkably strong case, starting out slow but then bringing up some incredibly heavy-hitting witnesses that gripped the courtroom with their testamonies. The closing statement meandered a little at first, but tied it up nicely with excellent use of metaphors to sum up the entire case satisfactorily. The defense has been able to poke a few holes in the case, primarily through throwing off the prosecution's pacing and nitpicking with details, but were unable to come up with enough substantial evidence to stop them from matching their burden of proof.

As the judge, I find the show excellent as charged. ^_^

Kaioshin Sama 2007-03-19 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vexx (Post 868390)
I'll give a "9" purely because I'd like to give it a "9.something". I won't waste time on all the superlatives and glowy feelings the show gave me. The minor problems that kept it from my "10" book were:
1) minor pacing and transition issues... towards the climax and ending, it felt rushed. Having an anime series go from "too plodding" to "omigodwe'reoutoftime" is endemic to the industry but KyoAni comes closest to avoiding the problem, but personally, I saw two episodes worth of material crammed into the last one. There was one transition issue that jarred me a bit (post-Makoto normalcy). And sometimes the ED really jarred after a poignant end scene. I might have used another version of "Last Regrets" in some episodes.
2) no one died ... this is a mixed issue for me. I would have been fine with one or more mysteries ending in death (even my beautiful Mai) because the air of tragedy throughout the series demanded sacrifice. There is victory in death (see AIR) expecially when reincarnation from the Shinto/Buddhist perspective is considered. On the other hand, Kanon is about miracles so Ayu executing a "gaming exploit" to macro-wish the end (Yuuichi==happy) was just clever Ayu and completely acceptable to me.
3) ... ... ... there were other minor bits but now they escape me. Things like Akiko knowing As Much as she did without being a bit more confused. What is she, some bodisvhatta?? (well, yes actually) or the lack of blood with Mai.

Uptics:
Our "Nayuki confession" was time-inverted (when they were young) so that we saw the after-Nayuki as she came to terms with that. Fascinating way to sidestep possible problems yet give fans of Nayuki as much as they did.
Same with Mai... we got more Mai than I'd hoped for. We got delightful moments with Shiori (see my sig)... there were SO MANY moments of humor to balance the blackness. The other uptics other posters have pointe out.

Definitely worthy and one of the better examples of what anime can accomplish with the drama format.

Hmmm all of this plodding to crammed ending and nobody dying in something that basically screams "There will be blood and tears" reminds me of something. Something that almost killed a beloved franchise of mine. Oh well :heh: we'll allow them their Disney ending (No I'm not referring to Disney earlier on).

Getting down to it I'm giving the series a tenative 7 where I am just so I'm not completely barging in and off topic because I'm impressed with the presentation barring Sugita Tomakazu's voice acting Pretty much locking that into an 8/10
and I know the plot will pick up as well likely going from 0 to a 3/5. However, the characters will start vanishing from the scene without notice once things get going, detracting from the character side of the equation bringing it from 4 down to a 3. This would of course total 14/20 and thus 7/10 and I know enough about the series without actually seeing every single second of it from reading threads, episode summaries and plot summaries to be all but certain of this. Of course my vote isn't going into the system until I've seen every episode. And OH MY GOD I Won't Be the lowest vote by at least two people. :twitch: What the hey then? I've spoiled it all for myself anyway so I really don't need to see it all play out in animated form since I'd give it a 5/5 in that category anyway and I'm 99.99999999999999999% certain that will be my final score, so I'll put it in there. Now I've just become a Gamespot reviewer.

Vexx 2007-03-19 16:23

Hmmm, npal's "didn't like" category actually matches my nits on a 1:1 basis so thanks to him for defogging my thoughts.

I still think the way it was handled and portrayed, one might have thought Yuuichi would end up with Mai or Shiori as a "mate" and just deep friends with Ayu (same "ending" just different romantic angle). Outside of that 360 degree kiss, one would think they're just good buddies, whereas Yuuichi was clearly romantic towards the end of the threads of Mai and Shiori. Darn that kiss because otherwise I could easily mentally roam into fanfic visions for Mai and Shiori while he stayed good friends with Ayu. :)

Nayuki still got shafted for all the importance her character has... as a director, I'd have probably spent more upfront time at least setting up Nayuki's thread (at least make it clearer that Ayu and Nayuki are friends and yet competitors for attention). Of course, as I said before: the gods of tragedy demand sacrifice... but those are my mutterings as a backseat director... I suspect they were terrified that if they only took down one or two characters there would be a lynching... so it was either going to be carnage or happiness.

Deathkillz 2007-03-19 16:23

hmm lets see...personally i would give this series somewhere between 8.5 and 9 so i might as well round it up...

while i loved most of the drama and comedy the thing that troubles me was the pace of the series...

at times it seemed like an arc is dragging on eternally *cough*makoto*cough* while others seemed to go by in a flash ~ poor nayuki >.<

what this did was lower the overall emotional impact which i was expecting...tbh it would have been better if the writers hit the audience fast and hard ~ as i would put it...take no prisoners!
the atmosphere was there but it wasnt realized to its full potential which was a shame...

the arcs was pretty jumpy ~ as we saw one girls arc ended...another's will start...man talk about a stressful life for yuuichi :heh:
but still i thought that the focus on the girls was spread out pretty unevenly...

makoto obviously took a lot of the attention...then comes mai...which shiori and finally nayuki was somewat lacking...but i guess this cannot be avoided given the time constrants but it is still a flaw...

the end was almost too happy for my tastes...i was expecting a second AIR experience but it didnt turn out that way...all that was left for a happy end was makoto to come back (thank god that didnt happen :rolleyes:)

overall it was enjoyable but the lack of crying scenes gives it 1 mark off perfect ~ and the fact that im still pissed that the ruined shiori >.< :heh:

Guardian Enzo 2007-03-19 17:09

I gave this a ten - basically, because I think it's unrealistic to expect any 24-episode series to literally be perfect. You have to, in other words, grade on something of a curve. And by those standards, Kanon gets a 10. It featured several of the most memorable characters in recent memory, wove together a moving story in generally coherent yet obscure ways, and was one of the most beautifully animated series in years (as you would expect). For me, that makes a ten.

tun 2007-03-19 18:52

10/10 if you end at episode 23.

Cyz 2007-03-19 18:57

I gave it a 10/10.

Story: I like how it's divided to 5 girls (well, 2 girls [Ayu and Nayuki] somehow overlap to each other). Like someone already said, the story might be unrealistic but it was in a good way. I like how reality and fantasy mixed together.

Characters: Well, characters are very memorable. All of them were pretty cute. It's definitely a great improvement from the original one (maybe because KyoAni did this one). The BG story for each is superb. Plenty of memorable moments for each and I've heard two catch phrases: "Uguu!" and "Auu!" :heh: Oh! let's not forget Yuuichi's sarcastic comments :)

Designs: Well, the scenery is definitely maginificent. Nothing much to add it on.

Overall: It's definitely one of my favorite animes. I'm glad that KyoAni made remake for this one. It really made quite in an impact. Now, I know it's hard but it's over :(. Oh well, all things must come to an end.

--> Now, I need to wait for CLANNAD.