AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Haruhi Suzumiya (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   The Character Discussion Thread of SOS団 Member: Mikuru Asahina (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=85591)

CrowKenobi 2009-08-26 06:06

The Character Discussion Thread of SOS団 Member: Mikuru Asahina

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Mikuru Asahina related.
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/a...mikuruavy5.gif
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Suzumiya Haruhi fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Heatth 2009-08-26 11:11

Ok, poor Mikuru. We certanly have something to talk about her right? Right?

Hmm, how about her clueless perosona,even though she comes from the future? I mean, her boss is her olderself, she certanly knows what is going to happen.

And is not about the future envents she is clueless about. She never knows what is going on until someone point to her. It definitively don't help the fact Kyon usually only talk important things with Itsuki. She also don't know much about the age she was put in (not knowing how use a omputer or how boats floats). It makes one wonder why someone would send someone like her to such important mission.

Dakota 2009-08-26 11:26

There really isn't much to say. It's all classified information. She's powerless besides travelling through time. Because she's so powerless, her futile efforts tug our heartstrings. :<

Heatth 2009-08-26 11:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 2605967)
There really isn't much to say.

This is agains the point of this tread :heh: We need to talk about something.

Besides, I was not talking about that. I mean, coming rom future mean having a lot of cool informations. However, is not like she knows a lot but can't say nothing. She really don't knows what is going on. I mean, what some one so unskiled is doing in the past in the first place?

Dakota 2009-08-26 11:48

B-b-b-ut i-it's classified information. She's the moeblob of the series with a seemingly void history and predictable behavoir. I think my point is that I don't find her as a rounded out character.

Just adorable.

Heatth 2009-08-26 11:53

Oh, I believe that is the point too :heh: She is flat as papper, at last for now,.

Her olderself, however, is much more interesting. How Mikuru ever grows to become that? Going from a half-useless moeblob to a confident and mysterious woman?

Dakota 2009-08-26 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatth (Post 2606008)
Her olderself, however, is much more interesting. How Mikuru ever grows to become that? Going from a half-useless moeblob to a confident and mysterious woman?

Easy. Marriage.

freakonboard 2009-08-26 12:02

While the series always portray as she's powerless, IMHO she's not that totally powerless.

In Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, Mikuru (small) could make Kyon unconscious with unknown method, and then Mikuru (big) did the same to her past self.

And speaking of Mikuru (big), she also managed to take TPDD from her past self with unknown method.

Heatth 2009-08-26 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 2606011)
Easy. Marriage.

Wait, why a marriage would do that good to her? Seeing her young personality, I would say it is the opposity. She would only be a house wife, serving food and tea for the rest of her life. I can see she being happy like that, but it is far form her oldself.

PP:
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakonboard (Post 2606034)
While the series always portray as she's powerless, IMHO she's not that totally powerless.

In Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody, Mikuru (small) could make Kyon unconscious with unknown method, and then Mikuru (big) did the same to her past self.

And speaking of Mikuru (big), she also managed to take TPDD from her past self with unknown method.

She did absolutelly nothing but sleep and cry after they being on the past though. This onlly showed me she can travel in the time, nothing more.

Dakota 2009-08-26 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatth (Post 2606041)
Wait, why a marriage would do that good to her? Seeing her young personality, I would say it is the opposity. She would only be a house wife, serving food and tea for the rest of her life. I can see she being happy like that, but it is far form her oldself.

Oh wait, true. Japanese marriages are different from the Western view. Cos like, housewives are considered to be an important role in SOCIETY.

So instead, maybe she joined a biker gang and became awesome. Or had a boyfriend, and things didn't go well. Or she killed Haruhi in the future, and is trying to fix that mistake! (THAT IS TOTALLY SPECULATION NOT A SPOILER)

freakonboard 2009-08-26 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatth (Post 2606041)
She did absolutelly nothing but sleep and cry after they being on the past though. This onlly showed me she can travel in the time, nothing more.

I know that, but what I'm trying to say is: she is supposed to have other ability besides time traveling. (making people unconscious)

Dakota 2009-08-26 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakonboard (Post 2606069)
I know that, but what I'm trying to say is: she is supposed to have other ability besides time traveling. (making people unconscious)

Anybody can have that power with a rag and a bottle of chloroform.

Sute443 2009-08-26 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatth (Post 2605955)
Hmm, how about her clueless perosona,even though she comes from the future? I mean, her boss is her olderself, she certanly knows what is going to happen.

There's not any actual evidence to show that Mikuru(big) is actually the boss of Mikuru(small). Kyon just thinks the older version is in charge because she's the only other time traveler he has seen that isn't part of an opposing group. It's entirely possible that the higher-ups in Mikuru's group only send Mikuru(big) back to interact with Kyon because she is the only one he would trust. And to keep him from getting suspicious of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatth (Post 2605955)
It makes one wonder why someone would send someone like her to such important mission.

Causal loop. They had to send Mikuru to interact with Haruhi because Mikuru was the one who Haruhi interacted with in the past. If they refused to do that then history wouldn't play out as their history books say it did. Or because they knew the SOS Dan needed a moe-blob and she was selected because she could display the required attributes.

freakonboard 2009-08-26 12:32

Speaking of this, there's a theory that indeed Mikuru's organization is a bad guys group.

Triple_R 2009-08-26 12:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sute443 (Post 2606089)

Causal loop. They had to send Mikuru to interact with Haruhi because Mikuru was the one who Haruhi interacted with in the past. If they refused to do that then history wouldn't play out as their history books say it did. Or because they knew the SOS Dan needed a moe-blob and she was selected because she could display the required attributes.

I particularly like your moe-blob position. Mikuru may simply be the cutest member of her organization. I get a laugh at the idea of all of these majorly competent and steely officers getting passed over in favor of Mikuru simply because she's the cutest. :heh: :D

Heatth 2009-08-26 12:50

Quote:

There's not any actual evidence to show that Mikuru(big) is actually the boss of Mikuru(small). Kyon just thinks the older version is in charge because she's the only other time traveler he has seen that isn't part of an opposing group. It's entirely possible that the higher-ups in Mikuru's group only send Mikuru(big) back to interact with Kyon because she is the only one he would trust. And to keep him from getting suspicious of them.

True. Still, they could inform Mikuru more, if they want to.

Quote:

Well, there is the problem with the logic behind that. Even if the need to send Mikuru, they could have trained her more. If they were following Mikuru(Big) instrution of how she used to be that time, there is the paradox. Mikuru(Big) is only like that because they send Mikuru(small) following instrutions of Mikuru(Big). Why, of all possibilitys, Mikuru was so helplessly clueless? If Mikuru(Big) remembered her as being more knowledgable so would be Mikuru(Small). Then, why it happened in that specificaly way?

Obviously, you moeblob theory is good enough to explai all of it :P

Sute443 2009-08-26 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heatth (Post 2606148)
Well, there is the problem with the logic behind that. Even if the need to send Mikuru, they could have trained her more. If they were following Mikuru(Big) instrution of how she used to be that time, there is the paradox. Mikuru(Big) is only like that because they send Mikuru(small) following instrutions of Mikuru(Big). Why, of all possibilitys, Mikuru was so helplessly clueless? If Mikuru(Big) remembered her as being more knowledgable so would be Mikuru(Small). Then, why it happened in that specificaly way?

Where has it been said that Mikuru(small) is genuinely helpless? Perhaps she is simply so competent and dedicated to her mission that she is able to put on a flawless show of incompetence. Who would suspect that the (seemingly) helpless little girl is actually the most dangerous opponent?

Or it could be that the process that prevents agents from giving out classified information really messes up their minds. Maybe they were trying to train Mikuru into a super-competent agent when they realized "Uh-oh, if we don't get her into the past soon she won't be able to pass as a high-schooler anymore." Then they did the stuff with her mind and she lost most of her training but there wasn't any time to retrain her.

Heatth 2009-08-26 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sute443 (Post 2606180)
Where has it been said that Mikuru(small) is genuinely helpless? Perhaps she is simply so competent and dedicated to her mission that she is able to put on a flawless show of incompetence. Who would suspect that the (seemingly) helpless little girl is actually the most dangerous opponent?

I like that theory. It can make a good twist latter.

Quote:

Or it could be that the process that prevents agents from giving out classified information really messes up their minds. Maybe they were trying to train Mikuru into a super-competent agent when they realized "Uh-oh, if we don't get her into the past soon she won't be able to pass as a high-schooler anymore." Then they did the stuff with her mind and she lost most of her training but there wasn't any time to retrain her.

This mkae sense too. Itwould be kinda funny if the mental conditioning be ever rid of her mind and sh soodenly become super-competent. :p

GMT 2009-08-26 15:28

Quote:

Or it could be that she is, indeed, the most dangerous opponent and that Mikuru (small, hyper-competent) was backed up to some sort of mind storage and the Mikuru we see now is lightweight mental shell which, if things really go pear-shaped for her faction, can be wiped in an instant and Sealed Evil in a Can hyper-competent Mikuru can be downloaded into the past to kick ass and take names.

Another thought. There is no guarantee that Mikuru (big) is telling the truth about herself. She and Mikuru (small) could well be the same intelligence in two different bodies. Just that Mikuru (small) employs a moe-blob facade to deter possible suspicion, and she enjoys making that snarky caveman think that she needs protecting.

This might be why the only member of the SOS-dan Mikuru seems genuinely unnerved by is Yuki, as Yuki is at or above her tech-level, and thus, is the only one who could blow Mikuru's charade open, should such a thing benefit the DITE.

Launch 2009-08-26 16:12

Quote:

This is the theory I most like. It wouldn't be the first time somebody in this series alters their personality a bit for the sake of their mission (Koizumi as well, supposedly).

Not saying that Mikuru is completely different from her moeblob personality. Just... exaggerated for everyone (especially Kyon). :p It would be awesome for some sort of Mikuru deception later in the series.

If it were true, then Mikuru might even become my favourite character. xD