AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Forum & Site Feedback (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Quick question about moderators (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=38740)

mit7059 2006-11-13 22:23

Quick question about moderators

I was just wondering how moderators were chosen, I noticed that a lot of the moderators come from the UK, are they the founders of animesuki or something? And the rest, are they chosen by reputation or post count or by some mysterious council of animesuki admins?

NightWish 2006-11-13 22:42

If by "a lot" you mean "three", then yes a lot do currently reside in the UK... :)
However the site founder does not, as you might realise if you read the site history.

To answer your question: Staff members are chosen based on their merit, as defined and observed by the currently active staff.

Basically we identify established members we feel would be good at the job (with all that it entails) and offer them a position. If they accept, they join the team. The process is wholly disconnected from post count, reputation, or any other forum tracked variable. Currently there is no established way of recommending a member of the forum to us, for consideration, with the exception that we routinely exclude anyone who puts forward their own name ;).

There has been some internal debate as to the relative worth of trying to involve forum members / member representatives in the background processes of the forum (i.e. the workings of the "mysterious council" as you put it, or "what the staff do to keep things running smoothly") but as yet we've not come to any sort of agreement on if or how we would go about this...

mit7059 2006-11-13 23:04

Thank you for the explanation

felix 2006-11-14 05:58

Quote - NightWish
--------------------------------------
If by "a lot" you mean "three", then yes a lot do currently reside in the UK... :)
Hmm.. let's see you, xris and Catgirls.. right? :)
Quote - NightWish
To answer your question: Staff members are chosen based on their merit, as defined and observed by the currently active staff.
And how are staff members demoted.. :)
It's strange but after reading some old threads and some things here and there it would appear that over the years there have been other staff then the ones we know today..
Quote - NightWish
Basically we identify established members we feel would be good at the job (with all that it entails) and offer them a position. If they accept, they join the team. The process is wholly disconnected from post count, reputation, or any other forum tracked variable. Currently there is no established way of recommending a member of the forum to us, for consideration, with the exception that we routinely exclude anyone who puts forward their own name ;).
Hm.. I have to wonder what goes inside the minds of the people who agree..
To me it sounds like a bad decision whichever way you look at it.. (yes I would drop such an offer on the spot)

Q. for the Mods : Anything good about the position.?

BTW NightWish.. why isn't Kiva a mod yet.. :)
Or if making him a Mod is out of the question, then how about creating a new category an placing him there.. :D

I there are lots of us who don't like Kairin and how she ended up from the image of a kind and gentle character into the some sort of drug addict :'( well.. that and.. the fact that you made her, without a second thought, the mascot for the forum as well.. she may be a mascot for the main site and the staff.. uhh.. I mean THE COUNCIL.. but how many forum members would accept her as their mascot.. :)
Don't you think there are way too many people here for whom not only does she not tick but she's probably the opposite of what they would want as a mascot. (I mean consider what suggestions Kiva got for his wallpapers ;))

IMO, for the forum, you should have just held a contest every year and picked an anime character.. at least that way people could identify or get to know him/her. Mascots, no matter how good they are will eventually get old..

Anyway.. while there are a lot of us who hate~ Kairin, there are lots more of us who luv Kiva for all the work he has put for this community.. :)
So?.. what's the councils~ opinion on this.. :)

Radiosity 2006-11-14 08:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Small One
Doesn't this bear a risk of excluding someone who is "good", just because he knows it? Of course most of those who do this aren't really qualified, but this doesn't mean, that there couldn't be one or two eligible inbetween.

The general situation tends to be: If someone is eager to 'offer' their services, then they're most likely eager for the power rather than the responsibility that goes with that power. Not always, sure, but it's still best to be safe now rather than sorry in the future. Every forum I visit operates this basic policy.

NightWish 2006-11-14 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Small One (Post 739233)
Doesn't this bear a risk of excluding someone who is "good", just because he knows it?

Nope. You'll notice I choose my words carefully. Nothing of what I said was that absolute. Although we exclude by "routine", and have to date, the process isn't so regimented or strict as to prevent us doing what we think is best. Radiosity hit the nail on the head...
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Small One (Post 739233)
Are you talking about some sort of board, which elects the moderators (but aren't themselves)?

No no... "Elect" suggests an automatic process by which people control the management. Influence choices yes, observe action yes, provide feedback yes... but control, no. When I suggested it I had something like ZiRC's UserCom in mind. Bit less grandiose perhaps... but like I said the idea didn't really go anywhere. Practically speaking it would be hard to measure what, if any, improving effect it would have on the community. Most people seem happy with the way we run things, so adding a layer of complexity and red-tape to help put a few "concerned citizens" at ease probably won't make our job any easier. At the end of the day, most things we do are aimed to either make our lives easier or expand and improve the comunity somehow.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII (Post 739432)
let's see you, xris and Catgirls.. right?

No. Two thirds right... but no.
Quote:

And how are staff members demoted.. :)

Never been an issue.
Quote:

I there are lots of us who don't like Kairin and how she ended up from the image of a kind and gentle character into the some sort of drug addict :'(
while there are a lot of us who hate~ Kairin
So?.. what's the councils~ opinion on this..

"The staff" is fine... "council" was mit7059's choice of word not ours. And my opinion... tough? :heh: Not quite sure how many you mean by lots, but I don't see an overwhelming negative feeling towards her... It is a shame you "hate" her and think of her as a "drug addict" but it so happens that we like her and do not think of her in that way at all. In fact I'm sure Kiva would be the first to insist that she isn't anything of the sort, it is all in your imagination. While her relative merit compared with generic off-the-shelf anime characters might be interesting, it is not really a topic for this thread... you're derailing somewhat.

felix 2006-11-14 13:16

Quote - NightWish
No. Two thirds right... but no.
Mmm.. is that one of your little white lies~ ;)
Quote - NightWish
Never been an issue.
You sure.. :)
Quote - History Lesson By GHDpro
I should also mention that I couldn't have done this all by myself. From March 14, 2003 I have been aided by a great group of people, who by now pretty much do all of the work of adding new torrents to the site. A few of them who have been there since the beginning are warnold, xris and anime_layer.

I don't see them in the leader board. Are they secret~ members of staff.. :3
Quote - NightWish
Not quite sure how many you mean by lots, but I don't see an overwhelming negative feeling towards her...
Wouln't you take action if you noticed a overwhelming negative feeling.. as in consider it spam etcetera and delete it.. ;)

You know I don't see an overwhealming positive feeling towards her :P all I see are people looking at Kiva's creation as fanart and manipulating it like some sort of doll or ball of clay..
I said drug addict as an analogy to how twisted and deformed Kairin has become, next thing you know people will start asking for a 3-headed Kairin with pink spots http://forums.animesuki.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
Quote - NightWish
It is a shame you "hate" her and think of her as a "drug addict" but it so happens that we like her and do not think of her in that way at all.
Sheesh not that kind of hate..
I just can't accept that kind of twisted character.. why couldn't Kiva said no to all those suggestions of Kairin in this.. Kairin like that..
Look at how

And drug addict was meant as a joke to her evolution in Kiva's wallpapers and art ;)

Day 1 - Kairin comes to Animesuki.. :)

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/285/happykairin3ug.jpg

Day 2 - Karin becomes the cutest thing on Animesuki.. xD

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/128...wallpap.th.jpg

Today.. - Kairin is a.. a.. I don't know.........

http://www.azuremidnight.com/Wallpap...eenPreview.jpg
Quote - NightWish
In fact I'm sure Kiva would be the first to insist that she isn't anything of the sort, it is all in your imagination. While her relative merit compared with generic off-the-shelf anime characters might be interesting, it is not really a topic for this thread... you're derailing somewhat.
I was asking for your opinion on the question of promoting Kiva to etcetera.. that way maybe people won't ask him to make just every damn possible version of Kairin..
How much time until Kairin starts sprouting wings.. what you think I'm joking ^^
Well actually I am joking since Kairin already has wings.. :p

That's all I had on my mind about Kairin.. I wont comment anymore..
Reminder to NightWish - You promised you would add a little something to the FAQ about the penalty points.. ^___^
I'm really curios to know if everyone can see that little thingy in my Profile..

xris 2006-11-14 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackCatXIII (Post 739825)
Quote:

History Lesson By GHDpro

I should also mention that I couldn't have done this all by myself. From March 14, 2003 I have been aided by a great group of people, who by now pretty much do all of the work of adding new torrents to the site. A few of them who have been there since the beginning are warnold, xris and anime_layer.
I don't see them in the leader board. Are they secret~ members of staff.. :3

Why don't you try reading what you post. "who by now pretty much do all of the work of adding new torrents to the site", GHDpro is clearly taking about the main AnimeSuki site, not the forum.

And can I ask that you stop dragging this thread off topic. It now appears to be a Kairin image board :eyebrow: