AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Ouran Host Club (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Ouran Host Club licensed by FUNimation (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=43629)

xris 2007-02-28 11:25

Ouran Host Club licensed by FUNimation

This is second hand so please treat it as rumour at this point in time but over in the ToonZone forums they are discussing a comment made during the Bandai Panel at the New York Comic Con 2007.

Ouran licensed...by someone

Quote:

During the Bandai panel at NYCC it was mentioned that Bandai had tried to aquire Ouran High School Host Club. However, it appears that the series has already been picked up by a company.
So far I hadn't seen any confirmation of this statement, it hasn't appeared at ANN or AoD (beyond similar unofficial discussion in their forums), so if anyone has further details then please post.

Since we haven't seen a company make any official announcement, then AnimeSuki will consider the title as unlicensed at this point in time. For now, this thread can be used to discuss aspects of the rumoured license.

I'll certainly look forward when the DVDs are released. This series was one of the unexpected hits for me back in April of last year (2006). Previously I had read the first volume of the manga (when it was published in the U.S.) but while it was OK it didn't strike a chord, that all changed when the anime appeared. So, looking forward for the "other" Haruhi to be licensed.

White Manju Bun 2007-02-28 21:36

Ah I heard this the other day....hmm well not surprising. I also look forward to the DVD releases.

Shiroth 2007-03-05 08:47

At the end of the day i'm happy with whoever its going to be (though i can just see it being Viz). It makes sense that its been licensed, what with how popular the manga is outside of Japan - and of course you have the fangirl audience that i know have been waiting for this announcement.

Looking forward to being able to watch Haruhi-in-action whenever i feel like.

gummybear 2007-03-12 02:25

great, another good anime ruin by dub

KittiKat16 2007-05-30 01:49

I hope it's either Bandai, Viz or Funimation. They're the best.

horo_horo27 2007-06-05 17:58

no one let 4kids at it *shiver* everything they touch dies, quite literally. *cough* shaman king *cough* >.<

ibreatheanime 2007-06-17 13:12

I can see why it would be lisenced... its pretty foreigner friendly. However I havent heard anything yet.

mangafanatic 2007-06-19 22:53

Eh, I don't know if I completely agree with that. I don't know how an average Western audience would deal with the idea of a "host club", were they to catch on to some of the connotations.

Banryuu 2007-06-22 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangafanatic (Post 1002232)
Eh, I don't know if I completely agree with that. I don't know how an average Western audience would deal with the idea of a "host club", were they to catch on to some of the connotations.

Anime fans would likely deal with it pretty well. At least, the types of people this show is marketed towards anyways.

chibi_hentai 2007-07-04 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittiKat16 (Post 969356)
I hope it's either Bandai, Viz or Funimation. They're the best.

I agree with you except for the Viz mention :/ Their edits to Yami no Matsui and just about everything else of their I was interested manga wise has left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.

But from what I read on the other forums and the links in the other forums, it looks like Viz was the one that wanted to license the series but got beat to it, so I'm relieved ^_^;;. I'll be happy as long as 4kids doesn't somehow get a hold of it! haha. Bandai, Funi, or even Geneon would make me happy. Though I somehow see Funimation at least attempting to get this title, considering they put out Fruits Basket, and the two series seem to be along the same lines. Not plot wise, but fanbase wise.

Either way, I'm really happy to hear that Ouran finally got picked up, I knew it was just a matter of time. I hate watching things on my computer, especially longer series like Ouran High School Host Club. Sitting through 26 episodes on my desktop is just too much for me.

Forbin 2007-07-20 16:44

Well the cat is out of the Bag, it's Funi!

Source : ANN

FireChick 2007-07-20 18:40

GREAT NEWS EVERYONE!!! FUNimation has officially gained license to Ouran High School Host Club!!! Woohooooooooooo!!!

Malintex_Terek 2007-07-20 22:04

I'm very pleased with the news that FUNimation aquired Ouran, and that Bandai, Bang Zoom, and no California voice actor will ever touch its golden majesty.

For the longest time I had thought FUNimation wouldn't get the title, given how long it took for a license to appear and how popular Ouran was. But my sister and I did a lot of lobbying, not only with representatives but with phone calls and word-of-mouth promotion to other schools across the state to bug FUNimation to pull some strings to get it.

Heck, if I had connection to the other Navarre shareholders I'd have bugged them as well.

Best news since I heard Gurren-Lagann got picked up by ADV. 2007 is officially a win.

-Breakthrough- 2007-07-20 22:05

WIN. Period.

I saw this coming a mile away actually, Ouran seems to be a series Funi would most likely get.

Sorrow-K 2007-07-20 22:52

I think it was Vexx who said it was going to be an expensive year. He's not wrong.

I'm glad that Funi got this, since I have a high opinion of them, and there's no obvious reason why they can't do a good job with this. Should be good.

Liingo 2007-07-20 23:59

Great News.

Now to just wait until they get released in Australia...

Sailor Enlil 2007-07-21 05:43

I wonder how they'll do this (like how the english-speaking Haruhi will inadvertedly fool everyone into thinking she's a guy by voice, unless they can pick a voice actor with a really good androgynous voice). And how about her dad? I'd like to see him done :).

rpgman1 2007-07-22 13:53

If Funimation can do a good job with Fruits Basket, then it'll have no problem with Ouran. Just cast people suitable to the characters.

LolitaDecay 2007-07-24 08:07

That's great news! I'm not interested in the dubs anyway so this is no big deal for me, I hope these come out soon. I eagerly await to buy the first volume.

FireChick 2007-07-28 14:15

I'm thinking Carrie Savage should do Hunny. Vic Mignogna should be happy now because I hear he's been dying to get a part in the show. He wants to do Tamaki. I think he'd be a good Hikaru.

FireChick 2007-08-04 17:55

I think I just got some new voice suggestions.

Haruhi: Amber Cotton
Tamaki: Vic Mignogna
Kyouya: Eric Vale
Hikaru: Jerry Jewell
Kaoru: Jason Liebrecht (did I spell that right?) or Blake Shepard
Hunny: Carrie Savage
Mori: Chris Sabat
Renge: Caitlin Glass
Nekozawa: Chris Patton

Renvi 2007-08-05 22:54

Aw man, I don't think Vic could do Tamaki justice, IMHO.
His voice just doesn't seem prince/king-like... ><

Davidj 2007-08-06 15:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by mangafanatic (Post 1002232)

It's not like they're a real host club.

Takoon 2007-08-14 15:44

Hm...

I'm actually not excited about this. It deserves to be licensed (that's very true), but it distresses me to think about what the dubbed voices will sound like. I generally like dubs, but it will be incredibly hard to find a voice for Tamaki and Haruhi. Both are so unique, and I don't think any English-speaking person can do it, honestly.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic though. ^ ^ I suppose I should just wait and see what comes of it. If the right actors are chosen, everything will turn out well.

I have to say...I'm incredibly excited to see the DVDs. -^ ^- I will go broke getting them.

aki/kaze/shi 2007-08-15 16:54

Aw, cool. Yeah, Haruhi and Tamaki will be hard.

Well, this is cool. Akane-chan might buy them, like she does Tsubasa. There's a few people at school who want to see Ouran because of me and my few friends, so an English dub will be great for me. And my cuz would be happy to get another anime from me.^^' Just don't wanna make it too big among them..or they'll buy it all..o_O

FireChick 2007-09-01 09:16

If Ouran gets released in english, I wonder if the Gaia Online cinemas are gonna show it. If it does, then I'll definitely watch it!

marijolee 2007-09-03 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by horo_horo27 (Post 979718)
no one let 4kids at it *shiver* everything they touch dies, quite literally. *cough* shaman king *cough* >.<

No offense, but I hate it when people say that.

Ya, ya, ya... 4kids sucks...we all know... :rolleyes:

Anyways, it will be hard to find good enough voices. The japanese voices were so perfect!

marijolee 2007-09-03 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renvi (Post 1080032)
Aw man, I don't think Vic could do Tamaki justice, IMHO.
His voice just doesn't seem prince/king-like... ><

I know, it doesnt :heh:

Sarajuana 2007-09-03 20:35

Can anyone post a link to the part of the funimation site that talks about their licensing of the series?

girlkillboy 2007-09-09 21:16

um..this might be out of the discussion, but u know how there's the anime,
is there gonna b a second season? cuz
in the manga, they stopped the plot at like, v. 10, so if there's more manga, there might be a second season, since its so popular...
=D

Red Lupine 2007-10-04 21:21

how will they handle this?

I wonder... I wonder...

marijolee 2007-10-21 22:29

Hahahahahahahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym2_ABtMYpU

riotaku 2008-01-24 15:39

link

should clear a few things up.

FireChick 2008-04-08 16:06

My friend in my homeroom heard somewhere that Vic Mignogna is gonna do Honey. But honestly I don't believe it.

FireChick 2008-05-17 10:25

Sorry for the double post, but FUNimation is attending Anime Central (I think. I dunno) and they're gonna have a FUNi panel and an Ouran panel too! Lots of news coming up! Best of all, Vic Mignogna and Laura Bailey are there!:)

ShiniIllumi 2008-05-24 22:11

Oh yay! More Ouran things to buy^^ Already working on the manga. I am -so- buying the DVDs. I still haven't archived the anime on my computer yet cause I don't want to lose it in the CD pile. ; ; I really really enjoyed this series. If only it had a second series.

FireChick 2008-05-26 12:49

It seems that Sonny Strait has been confirmed to play Ranka, aka Haruhi's father, in the dub. Proof:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6122

darkchibi07 2008-06-13 12:42

Please tell me there are people in Animesuki that pays attention to this site:

http://www.funimation.com/ouran

Every Friday, FUNimation is going to reveal who's going to play who. More likely they'll announce the main cast in Anime Expo since they're mostly revealing the minor characters.

FireChick 2008-07-04 14:01

Ouran cast is revealed.

Haruhi: Caitlin Glass
Tamaki: Vic Mignogna (YAY!):D
Kyoya: J. Michael Tatum
Hikaru: Todd Haberkorn
Kaoru: Greg Ayres (Cool! Can't wait to see this!):)
Honey: Luci Christian
Mori: Travis Willingham

Proof here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6122

ItsATag 2008-07-07 18:54

I'm so glad Vic is gonna play Tamaki! He'll do an awesome job.