AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Death Note (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Death Note Episode 8 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=39041)

xris 2006-11-20 08:26

Death Note Episode 8 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Death Note, Episode 8!

Thread Guidelines
  • Keep spoilers from the Manga out of the anime thread. You may not even post manga spoilers in spoiler tags!
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Manga, either PM them or post in the Manga thread. Please be considerate of anime only watchers, too many manga spoilers are being posted, so please, no more!
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.
Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

Please remember, no manga spoilers are allowed in this thread!

IchiKyo 2006-11-21 13:29

*Link deleted :)*
Do me a favor Light ^^
Don't turn like a hentaiman^^
RAW 8 Images

Shiroth 2006-11-21 18:50

Shall be watching the episode tonight, but judging from the images - Ryuk searching for the camera's looks flipping genius. :3

Kamille-MkII 2006-11-22 00:11

Iriliane 2006-11-22 00:54

Anyone want to take a shot at explaining how he gets the TV into a sealed bag of potato chips. Does he explain it in dialogue or is it like those teleporting apples in episode 1?

Cai Calamigarde 2006-11-22 13:15

yes, that is strange, indeed...
i think the only answer can be "the chips was not sealed" :confused:

Klashikari 2006-11-22 14:12

it wasn't explained in the manga either so, don't pay too much attention to it

Iriliane 2006-11-22 15:46

I'm currently working under the assumption that it was a Zip-Loc bag of some sort.

mikeon 2006-11-22 18:00

Light's a genius. Maybe he had it prepared for some time and used one of those machines they show in those infomercials that can reseal plastic bags after you open them.

musouka 2006-11-22 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeon (Post 747269)
Light's a genius. Maybe he had it prepared for some time and used one of those machines they show in those infomercials that can reseal plastic bags after you open them.

I don't know. I'd think a genius could find a way to keep killing without blowing an obscene amount of money on a TV that will only be used once. :p

Reppa 2006-11-22 20:15

L has more than his work cut on this. Light is still 10 steps ahead of them.

LightningZERO 2006-11-23 04:28

LOL at the dramatic potato-eating scene

Codex 2006-11-23 23:08

I'm surprised that, with 64 cameras in the room, they didn't use a better angle to look at what Light's doing than the camera that shows only his back.

Mashimaro 2006-11-23 23:38

I'm going to go ahead and assume that he bought the potato chips when he went out to buy the camera then putting the camera into the bag.

Forever 2006-11-23 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeon (Post 747269)

But what if someone else in the family accidently eats the chips?

musouka 2006-11-23 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever (Post 748401)

"Awesome! Free TV!"

myopius 2006-11-24 02:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by LightningZERO (Post 747632)
LOL at the dramatic potato-eating scene

Yeah... Most dramatic line in the scene: "... and eat a potato chip!"

All in all a nice episode. I'm happy they had the line, "Fooled by the cover again..." When I saw the preview, it amazed me that we've already come this far in just 9 episodes. Oh, and I continue to be amazed at how well they draw L.

There's no way a tiny TV should cost that much.

lommm 2006-11-24 03:10

"Take out a potato chip and eat it."

This shall be my new mantra. Repeat forty times, both morning and night.

but seriously, even with the trash being compacted, detectives can still go through it at the landfill, or stop the truck before it gets there... a smashed mini LCD tv is even more incriminating when it's inside a bag of potato chips...

anselfir 2006-11-24 04:12

Now i've given up hope trying to believe either L or Kira is doing the most rational or probable thing, and just try to enjoy what they do. This epi is fairly good in that regard.

StrawHatLuffy 2006-11-24 05:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forever (Post 748401)

Spoiler:

Can't wait for the next episode. It's gonna be better than this ;)

[ ] 2006-11-24 11:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iriliane (Post 746779)
Anyone want to take a shot at explaining how he gets the TV into a sealed bag of potato chips. Does he explain it in dialogue or is it like those teleporting apples in episode 1?

Take bag of potato chips. Insert portable tv. Make sure to place some potato chips in front of the tv. Take potent superglue gun or other binding substance(in case edge is fatty. clean off first). Glue the edge of the bag. Press closed evenly by use of a book edge, small steel pipe or other even and heavy material or use even pressure. Place bag in cupboard.

Tadaa.

Lilith 2006-11-24 11:36

Ep 8
My favorite part. <3

Quote:

Originally Posted by IchiKyo (Post 746267)
*Link deleted :)*
Do me a favor Light ^^
Don't turn like a hentaiman^^
RAW 8 Images

LOL! I thought that his attitude is a bit... cold. It's like he's not affected, he's flipping the pages as if it's a regular magazine. :heh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iriliane (Post 746779)

Light's tricks continue to amaze me and... sometimes annoy me. Yeah, I'd like to know the answer, too! I can't think of an explanations. Guess this is one of the several loopholes in Death Note.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codex (Post 748378)
I'm surprised that, with 64 cameras in the room, they didn't use a better angle to look at what Light's doing than the camera that shows only his back.

Maybe they did but didn't show us because it won't make a difference. This is a map of the cameras. From the left, you can see the end of the bag which's sealed. From the right, you can see the front of the bag which's open, however, it's not clear because of the other chips part/shadow/Light's hand. Maybe if you zoomed in...

Quote:

Originally Posted by myopius (Post 748499)
There's no way a tiny TV should cost that much.

I don't know much, but when I googled...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lommm (Post 748535)
but seriously, even with the trash being compacted, detectives can still go through it at the landfill, or stop the truck before it gets there... a smashed mini LCD tv is even more incriminating when it's inside a bag of potato chips...

Currently, there's no reason for them to check of the trash. And even they did, Light can say that the TV was broken so he throwed it, right?

[ ] 2006-11-24 11:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilith (Post 748858)
Light's tricks continue to amaze me and... sometimes annoy me. Yeah, I'd like to know the answer, too! I can't think of an explanations. Guess this is one of the several loopholes in Death Note.

Does nobody ever read my posts T_T J/K
Quote:

Originally Posted by [ ]
Take bag of potato chips. Insert portable tv. Make sure to place some potato chips in front of the tv. Take potent superglue gun or other binding substance(in case edge is fatty. clean off first). Glue the edge of the bag. Press closed evenly by use of a book edge, small steel pipe or other even and heavy material or use even pressure. Place bag in cupboard.

Tadaa.

but still, that seems like a decent explanation as long as he makes sure theres no glue residue he can also place drops of glue on the very tips of the edge of the bag which would complete the appearance of being sealed even upon closer inspection.

leofish 2006-11-24 12:54

I thought Ryuk's "withdrawl" from apples was even funnier than the potato chips XD handstands and sweat bubbles, lol.

Deathkillz 2006-11-24 13:59

haha poor ryuk having spazms from being apple deprived :p
Light is smart but the plot hole is how did the dam mini tv get into the bag in the first place without the camra catching it...
imo light is leaving too much clues...L is smarter than this and will soon find the connection of light using reverse psycology...sometimes there is such a thing as being "too" normal...especially when being watched...

Strike Rouge 2006-11-24 15:04

It really bothers me how Yagami has such little regard for human life. L realizes that he slipped up. One of the killed was a fraudulent banker and the other was a petty thief. Also, everyone's always saying how Yagami is ten steps ahead of L. But Yagami's ego is going to get him caught. In the tapes, Ray was clearly staring up at Kira and all it takes is a few interviews to figure out who was there at the time. This may be unlikely to work but what if there was a camera that shot the angle Ray was looking at? Yagami is leaving behind too many tracks and its gonna be somthing like this thats going to get him caught.

Then there's Naomi-san. Her body hasnt been found yet. Do you think she maybe left some sort of note behind? People leave suicide notes behind all the time. Kira didnt specify anything too elaborate surrounding the circumstances of her death. I will lol if her suicide ends up eing the one thing that gets him figured out ^^;

Codex 2006-11-25 00:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilith (Post 748858)
Maybe they did but didn't show us because it won't make a difference. This is a map of the cameras. From the left, you can see the end of the bag which's sealed. From the right, you can see the front of the bag which's open, however, it's not clear because of the other chips part/shadow/Light's hand. Maybe if you zoomed in...

I wasn't talking about the bag of chips. I was talking about the fact that Light was still writing the death sentences in the Death Note. With the map you showed, the cameras in front of Light, on the bookshelves and his desk, should have been able to show that he was not studying for his exam, but rather writing in the Death Note.

musouka 2006-11-25 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Codex (Post 749414)
With the map you showed, the cameras in front of Light, on the bookshelves and his desk, should have been able to show that he was not studying for his exam, but rather writing in the Death Note.

Light was writing on a scrap of paper in the bag of chips, not the Death Note itself. (The reason it looked like he was is because of the obviously reused footage from episode one. Oopsies, animators...)

EDIT: (Though upon my recheck at least they changed what he was writing. :p)

evil-samurai 2006-11-25 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by leofish (Post 748926)
I thought Ryuk's "withdrawl" from apples was even funnier than the potato chips XD handstands and sweat bubbles, lol.

I really was laughing out-loud when we first saw Ryuk's reaction to not being able to eat apples anymore :heh:

To be honest on a whole I like this episode just as much as the last (Though still the last few moments of last episode are priceless.) The situation that Light was in and how we saw L monitor Light and heard and saw what his reaction was while he didn't know Light is Kira was certaining Interesting!

U<3Anime 2006-11-25 02:11

Another, good episode that is well done. The art remains pretty consistant through
out the whole episode. Its funny how they made the scene so dramatic where Light eats chips and kills people at the same.

U<3Anime 2006-11-25 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strike Rouge (Post 749014)
It really bothers me how Yagami has such little regard for human life. L realizes that he slipped up. One of the killed was a fraudulent banker and the other was a petty thief. Also, everyone's always saying how Yagami is ten steps ahead of L. But Yagami's ego is going to get him caught. In the tapes, Ray was clearly staring up at Kira and all it takes is a few interviews to figure out who was there at the time. This may be unlikely to work but what if there was a camera that shot the angle Ray was looking at? Yagami is leaving behind too many tracks and its gonna be somthing like this thats going to get him caught.

Then there's Naomi-san. Her body hasnt been found yet. Do you think she maybe left some sort of note behind? People leave suicide notes behind all the time. Kira didnt specify anything too elaborate surrounding the circumstances of her death. I will lol if her suicide ends up eing the one thing that gets him figured out ^^;

She won't be found because Light wrote that she'll go suicide in place where no one will ever find her.

poolfan 2006-11-25 03:44

I believe many people were saying this about the movie as well. Light doesn't seem to have any non-obvious way of looking at the TV screen in the potato chips bag. I mean there is no direct line of sight between him (in the sitting upright position) and the tv screen. To stoop down and take a chip out from the bag would be suspicious.

DownloadingData 2006-11-25 05:04

Quote:

Light is smart but the plot hole is how did the dam mini tv get into the bag in the first place without the camra catching it...
... just because they didn't show every single second of Light's doing doesn't mean it is a plot hole. It would be quite obvious to anybody that light had bought the portable TV previously and installed it in that certain bag of potato chips BEFORE the cameras were installed. Because, as he said, if he was rendered to be inaccessible to any TV or radio due to some unforseen circumstances, this would be his backup.

Rich 2006-11-25 05:11

no offense but don't you think that 64 cameras in the room is a little bit extreme. HAHA you only need like 5 to see the whole room but what can i say? crazy Japs

porchoky 2006-11-25 06:02

He sets up the potato chip and tv thing OUTSIDE his house, is the most reasonable explanation. yeah, 64 cameras...

Klashikari 2006-11-25 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 749568)
no offense but don't you think that 64 cameras in the room is a little bit extreme. HAHA you only need like 5 to see the whole room but what can i say? crazy Japs

5 is really not enough.
camera doesn't have a huge angle sight (don't expect such 180°, this is impossible).
you have then already some blind spot near of the camera sides.

example : http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9...camera4vh2.jpg
Note this example is absolutely not accurate and is done only to understand the camera problem.

as you can see, the sight range is really narrow at the beginning. with 4 camera in an EMPTY room, you have already 4 blind spots (assuming the camera have an excellent range too).

so, you will have to deal with :
-height (a camera, especially miniaturized, won't be able to record a large place entirely)
-objects
-blind spot made by the object themself : if a curve is on the middle top, the bottom camera would see only the back of the curve, while the top camera won't be able to catch the curve on their side.
-distance (miniaturized camera don't really have a powerful sight, so it won't really cover a long distance, so some details on the opposite wall would be blurry etc.

so you have to put lot of other camera to compensate this.

and since Light's room isn't really plain (you have a bed etc), there are several levels and angles to set.

noir senshi 2006-11-25 06:41

It seems that this episode was more a battle of perverts between L and Light.

Light: Dishes out the bikini magazine and also reveals his collection of dirty magazines.

L: Installs cameras in the Yagami house including toilet so he can "monitor" the Mother and Daughter.

hitokirigirl 2006-11-25 09:25

Hell, after watching Busou renkin episode 6 and this one : it must be my hentai day. The way L said "he's 17, so it's normal" makes me wonder how old he is, that eating-instead-of-licking-cream monkey...

The 64 cameras stuff was waaaayyy exagerrated : it didn't even catch the potato bag inside ? WTF

Besides, I found strange Raito to keep eye on the garbage outside : I really hope the CD player or whatever it was is truly destroyed.

As people said, many thoughts and statements pop out from the characters mind without any explanation, at least a rational one. I would like it to turn like Monster about that investigation part.
And Raito is more and more becoming a twisted freak : how and when did he put that paper on his room door and the pen in the closet ?? He is showing true signs of paranoia........and he's totally right.

My thought, as someone said before, is that Raito is 10 step ahead. Thanks God he took days in advance writing criminals names...

Deathkillz 2006-11-25 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by porchoky (Post 749591)
He sets up the potato chip and tv thing OUTSIDE his house, is the most reasonable explanation. yeah, 64 cameras...

yea thats the only reasonable explination...we did see light going out and buying stuff maybe he restocked the cupboard with his potato chips as well...but the things that L might catch on is why the hell is light eating the same bag of potato chips for a couple of hours while he was "studing"

and the cameras sux :p 64 of them and not one can zoom in :heh:

U<3Anime 2006-11-25 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by hitokirigirl (Post 749667)
Hell, after watching Busou renkin episode 6 and this one : it must be my hentai day. The way L said "he's 17, so it's normal" makes me wonder how old he is, that eating-instead-of-licking-cream monkey...

Hehehe and he says that he just does it for no reason xD. I think L is 22 or somewhere around his 20s.