AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Shin Sekai Yori (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 7 Discussion / Poll (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=116112)

Solace 2012-11-09 16:29

Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 7 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Shin Sekai Yori, Episode 7.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers or hints about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message, or seek out a more appropriate thread.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on-topic.
  • Do not post multiple times in a row. Please edit your existing post if you wish to add additional thoughts.
Episode Thread Spoiler Policy
  • Any comment that discloses events, characters, plot or other information before it is revealed in the anime is expressly forbidden whether or not it is behind spoiler tags.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
    Please consult the AnimeSuki Spoiler Policy for more information.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a useful title!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any inappropriate spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting inappropriate spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Kazu-kun 2012-11-09 16:37

Finally. Thanks a lot.

Anyway, kind of sad moment when Saki remembered that time with Shun on the boat and started crying. It feels like the story's trying to push her and Satoru together but she doesn't really want that. It's kind of tragic....

On another note, I was surprised Shun was able to remember his mantra. He's clearly on a level of his own, way above the others. It's kinda frightening actually, and it makes me worry for him: too much power is never a good thing...

As for the preview for next episode.
Spoiler for preview episode 8:

Kaoru Chujo 2012-11-09 19:02

This is one case where I kept thinking the episode had gone on long enough to be over...but then was very happy to realize it was continuing.

Personally, I'm happy to be back in human territory. I'm not a huge fan of the "adventures with animals" part of the show. It didn't have enough future weirdness for me. Of course, this coming stage may be the most dangerous of all. Will they get back to where they have their mantras written? Anyway, with 17 episodes to go, a lot can happen.

The sudden safety seemed a bit rushed near the end, but I guess it emphasized that the big guy was a friendly -- even if Squeerat was too tricky to trust.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazu-kun
Anyway, kind of sad moment when Saki remembered that time with Shun on the boat and started crying. It feels like the story's trying to push her and Satoru together but she doesn't really want that. It's kind of tragic....

Excellent observation. I'm not sure what she wants. I doubt she knows herself. In any case, that tender surprise must seem like a lifetime ago to her now. I loved it when she was the one leading Satoru forward. I'm not sure if I can imagine her in that position in relation to Shun. But I had a little feeling that Shun was delighted that it was she who had discovered how to recover their powers. Or maybe that was just me.

Jimmy C 2012-11-09 22:53

It looks like the kids miscalculated if they thought they could just sneak back into their village and pretend like nothing happened. If the Ethics Commitee issued orders for their deaths, they will never be safe among humans.

kyp275 2012-11-09 22:55

Overall another good episode, but I still feel some of the transitions are a bit jarring.

Kazu-kun 2012-11-09 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo (Post 4432811)
But I had a little feeling that Shun was delighted that it was she who had discovered how to recover their powers. Or maybe that was just me.

It's not just you. I thought so too. It's like that time when she saved the bakenezumi or when she came up with the idea to catch the minoshiro modoki. Shun has always liked how smart and bold Saki can be.

Triple_R 2012-11-09 22:59

Very nice and satisfying conclusion to "Saki and Satoru's Excellent Adventure". It was a rather intense episode that did a good job of keeping me on the edge of my seat.

That being said, I'm glad that this arc is now over, because my main curiosity now is seeing how the five kids are treated with them back in their village. Clearly, they're going to be allowed to live, but it'll probably be interesting to see what the adults try to do to them to regain control over them... I'm also curious to see any future scenes between Saki and her parents. I imagine that's going to be awfully awkward...

Saki clearly loves Shun, and it was a touching scene when she thought back to their boat-trip together.

GDB 2012-11-09 23:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy C (Post 4433102)
If the Ethics Commitee issued orders for their deaths, they will never be safe among humans.

Actually, that's likely the only place they'd be safe. With other humans. But that also means they cannot do anything without being with a group, including sleeping. Remember, the Ethics Committee doesn't want it to get out, so they can't just walk in and drag them away for an execution.

whitecloud 2012-11-09 23:52

Nice episode...and saki is wavered between shun and satoru...the problem is now the adult for sure will be having an even closer watch upon them and that spell trouble..

Anyway...next episode is the first time skip and most likely the beginning of the chaos saki told about in the naration that cause by maria? in few episode back i guess?

P.S : satoru cater to both side...(sexually)....heh...and the aggressive side too

Shadow5YA 2012-11-10 01:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy C (Post 4433102)
It looks like the kids miscalculated if they thought they could just sneak back into their village and pretend like nothing happened. If the Ethics Commitee issued orders for their deaths, they will never be safe among humans.

Were they ever sentenced to death? The monk sealed their powers and were going to take them back to the village, but none of the adults ever said they were to be executed.

They just assumed that's what would happen to them, because they believe all the removed children were killed.

Theo 2012-11-10 01:39

Imgladitsover.jpg

Enough of the goblin clan wars and more Brave New World please. And bring on the world-saving adventure.

Malkuth 2012-11-10 03:29

Not as bad as the 5th episode, and better than the 6th, and in no way as good as the first four episodes... still there are some derping moments... skipping (I guess) how that tall wolf-rat turned from a predator to savior, instantly meeting with Mamoru, Maria and Shun... and evil 3D :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazu-kun (Post 4432677)
As for the preview for next episode.
Spoiler for preview episode 8:

Well, I guess 14 is better than 12 even when only implying these things :heh:

Forsaken_Infinity 2012-11-10 04:03

Well, by this point I have been unwillingly spoiled on some (minor but relevant to romance) details so I am gonna stay off the shipping wars. It's kinda dumb to fight over who loves who in basically a bunch of close friends in a society where skinship is the norm anyway. It was always obvious that Saki loved Shun too. It was in fact a genuine surprise to me as an anime only viewer that Satoru and Saki were in such good terms (best friends who reveal mantras to each other etc.) o_o I would have thought Saki just found Satoru annoying if it weren't for the last few episodes (and the novel comparisons rampant everywhere - I don't think it's spoiling anything to talk about what I learned about stuff that the anime has been through so not spoiler tagging this).

But yeah, nice little touch with that scene. I still think Shun isn't trustworthy but I like how prepared the guy is so what gives. Mnemonics to make sure your mantra comes back eh. That should be mandatory PK education once these kids change the system (if ever) imo lol.

The humans in the village can't kill them so it would have to be some monster or some other but as long as they have their powers and stay together, monsters can't really kill them either. They're relatively safe in terms of physical safety but they should be in for a social and psychological hell.

-Sho- 2012-11-10 04:36

That was a rushed episode but well..
Looks like next episode they'll grew up & wth Satoru x Shun :heh:

Blaat 2012-11-10 05:14

The scene transitions using a huge amount of black outs (I don't know if that's the proper term, I'm not familiar with post-production scene changing terminologies :heh: ) and rushed ending didn't led to a fully enjoyable viewing experience. Still better than the last three episodes but nowhere near the quality of the first four episodes.

Ah well next week the time skip will happen, looks like Satoru after two years of venting up that sexual frustration will try and Bonobo it with Shun who rejects him. Luckily for those cases a man has the emergency right hand option. Hopefully the show will go back to the quality of the first four episodes.

Also am I the only who likes the child chorus track, I almost consider it as an opening song for this show.

Solace 2012-11-10 05:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaat (Post 4433392)
Hopefully the show will go back to the quality of the first four episodes.

I'm thankful they returned to normal art after episode five, but yeah, there are a lot of odd inconsistencies with the animation, from extended fade transitions to awkward anatomy to odd color and lighting choices.

I'm also worried about the narrative at this point. I wanted to give it a few more episodes, but there are some serious gaps in time that make some scenes play out strangely. A good example is the canoe scene. They were so worried about him killing them, and then it just jumps to the next scene and everything is fine. In a show about characters, this just seems like a really strange thing - shouldn't we at least get an explanation as to why he didn't follow through? Or is this one of those "implied" things you see often in Japanese stories where the audience is supposed to just "get" what is going on due to something impressed upon earlier? For example, maybe he spared them because they saved his life? Dunno though, because no one mentions it. Not even Squealer, who seems to be acting like he's not telling the kids something when they reunite at the shoreline of the river. Another example, the opening. LSD trip out of nowhere, not explained at all, and it really just felt like an excuse to give Satoru his powers back.

Don't get me wrong, I still find every episode incredibly engrossing, and the time flies by, but the choppiness of the narrative bothers me. Even if they do cover most or all of the novel's key points, it just feels like something is missing, sometimes.

This isn't meant to compare the novel and anime, but rather I'm just putting my opinion out there that the anime's plot "flow" just doesn't seem all that smooth. Kazu used this phrase earlier, but it feels like the plot is pushing the characters and not the other way around.

ninryu 2012-11-10 08:57

The recent episodes had more plot and action and less pointless meddling, thankfully. This anime is finally starting to pick its pace.
It seems we're finally reaching the time skip next episode.

Kanon 2012-11-10 08:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solace (Post 4433404)
I'm also worried about the narrative at this point. I wanted to give it a few more episodes, but there are some serious gaps in time that make some scenes play out strangely. A good example is the canoe scene. They were so worried about him killing them, and then it just jumps to the next scene and everything is fine. In a show about characters, this just seems like a really strange thing - shouldn't we at least get an explanation as to why he didn't follow through? Or is this one of those "implied" things you see often in Japanese stories where the audience is supposed to just "get" what is going on due to something impressed upon earlier? For example, maybe he spared them because they saved his life? Dunno though, because no one mentions it. Not even Squealer, who seems to be acting like he's not telling the kids something when they reunite at the shoreline of the river.

Yes, that was a very strange transition. One second they think they're going to get killed and the next, they're happily thanking Kiroumaru. There's obviously something missing, and they didn't even attempt to provide an explanation. We're just supposed to assume Kiroumaru chased them because he's a good guy who wanted to help. It's implied he went against his orders, but it's not exactly clear. I think everything might be explained later. At least, I hope so.

It was a good episode nonetheless, but I too am glad we are back to the village. The atmosphere there has always been far more riveting and oppressing. The ending narration alone made me feel like we're finally back to the mood of the first four episodes. Very foreboding...

I didn't expect the timeskip to happen so soon. Shun looks like a total bishie now. I can't blame Satoru for wanting to bonobo it up with him. I can't wait to see how the recent incident changed their lives.

Justice Knight 2012-11-10 09:10

how the other 3 kids survive when Saki and Satoru gone thru so much hell? Will they explain in the future?

Guardian Enzo 2012-11-10 09:23

Amazingly, that was Hirata Hiroaki as Kiromaru - I never would have guessed. He's become an absolute favorite of mine when playing to type, but this was definitely a superb stretch for him.