AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Tech Support (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Major Problem with CPU (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=15638)

phoenixfire92983 2004-06-16 14:18

Major Problem with Computer

Hey there! Ok, the other day I was working on my comp. and everything was working fine. Then I start it up the next day, and my comp. was totally messed up. Norton Anti-Virus had been disabled, some registry files were missing, and my user screen was completely gone. Somehow, someway my computer settings had been rebooted to like whatever they were 6 months to a year ago at least. The clock on my computer hadn't adjusted to daylight savings and was a hour ahead. For internet explorer, I was missing like 20 critical updates...one was dated from 1999! I had to re-update my Norton Anti-Virus program to get it to even work. I also had to re-dl all of my codecs and update winamp. I'm sure there's more problems that I have yet to run into.

My question is why the heck did this happen? And will it happen again? Its crazy cause I lost all of my settings, my screen, and tons of important updates. The other weird thing is on msconfig...I got all of these weird programs and stuff that I have never seen before. Here's a example of one of them:

New.net Startup
rundll32 C:\PROGRA~1\NEWDOT~1\NEWDOT~2.DLL, NewDotNet Startup-s

If anyone could help me, that would be great! Thanx in advance!

Jinto 2004-06-16 16:56

First of all, I assume there is nothing wrong with the C entral P rocessor U nit of your PC (well I am not sure... at least there is no direct connection between the problem (which you described) and the CPU in your PC). But it seems like there have been some critical data errors on your windows directory. So when your last Windows system self repair set (backup of the vital system drivers and files) is from about a year ago, this will result in a very backdated system (where you have to install many things again). I don't know if this routine is reversable, but I'ld suggest it is not.

phoenixfire92983 2004-06-17 00:32

Is there any way to at least have a more updated backup of my system drivers and files just in case such a incident occurs again?

Jinto 2004-06-17 04:09

I have a german Windows Version, so I hope my translations will be near to the english original:

Start=>All Programs=>Accessories=>System Tools=>System Restore

There must be an option that reads like "make a new restore point". This will make a restore point of your current Windows state. After this procedure you will be able to load that point whenever you need it (or Windows does it itself, in case of an critical error which would disallow a correct boot up).

flammie 2004-06-17 04:25

Sounds like you have a serious spyware problem. Search for other threads for more info. I would recommend using Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware.

_Sin_ 2004-06-17 08:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by flammie
Sounds like you have a serious spyware problem. Search for other threads for more info. I would recommend using Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware.

I found a site where that NewDot file is classified as non-spyware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by From the site
The NewDotNet software provides two functions, where the first allows you to access non-standard domains such as .shop, .med, .mp3. To make this possible the NewDotNet software install a Layered Service Provider on your computer to query NewDotNet\'s DNS server when converting a NewDotNet domain to an IP address. NewDotNet sells these non-standard domains. The second function is to provide search results or a navigational page when an end-user enters keywords in the address browser address bar or attempts to resolve a mistaken or non-existing URL. NewDotNet software is not classified as spyware or adware.

Although it is not I'd suggest uninstalling it if you don't need it.

phoenixfire92983 2004-06-17 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinto Lin
I have a german Windows Version, so I hope my translations will be near to the english original:

Start=>All Programs=>Accessories=>System Tools=>System Restore

There must be an option that reads like "make a new restore point". This will make a restore point of your current Windows state. After this procedure you will be able to load that point whenever you need it (or Windows does it itself, in case of an critical error which would disallow a correct boot up).

When I go under system tools, it doesn't list system restore as a option. Instead it lists stuff like backup, character map, maintenance wizard, etc... Should I choose the backup option? If so, should I backup the entire cpu or just selected files/folders?

Thanks again for all of your help!

_Sin_ 2004-06-17 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenixfire92983
When I go under system tools, it doesn't list system restore as a option. Instead it lists stuff like backup, character map, maintenance wizard, etc... Should I choose the backup option? If so, should I backup the entire cpu or just selected files/folders?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Then try that:

Start menu-->Run-->%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe
and Set System Restore Point (or something like that :D )

phoenixfire92983 2004-06-17 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Sin_
Then try that:

Start menu-->Run-->%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe
and Set System Restore Point (or something like that :D )

Ok...my cpu is really messed up. I tried that and I get this error message:

Cannot find '%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available

I also tried it without%, without systemroot, etc... i keep getting the same error message.

_Sin_ 2004-06-17 17:46

Quote:

Ok...my cpu is really messed up. I tried that and I get this error message:

Cannot find '%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and file name are correct and that all required libraries are available

I also tried it without%, without systemroot, etc... i keep getting the same error message.

The program path might be off because I'm using another Language version. Try searching for the file rstrui.exe. If you can find it, run it.

phoenixfire92983 2004-06-17 18:03

Quote:

The program path might be off because I'm using another Language version. Try searching for the file rstrui.exe. If you can find it, run it.

I get that error message when I try it through run. I also searched for it in windows explorer in my cpu, c drive, and d drive. Still no luck. If it helps, i'm using windows 98 sec. edition.

_Sin_ 2004-06-17 18:17

Quote:

I get that error message when I try it through run. I also searched for it in windows explorer in my cpu, c drive, and d drive. Still no luck. If it helps, i'm using windows 98 sec. edition.

:heh: Actually that solves the problem because I (and many others) was thinking that you were using Windows XP instead of any other OS. Windows 98SE does not have a System Restore, unfortunately. Sorry :(

Your best bet is to look for a program which can create images of your HDD in case your system refuses to boot etc

DigitalisAkujin 2004-06-18 15:38

LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CPU AND PC

:frustrated:

bunnykun 2004-06-19 00:17

since your computer is already totally messed up i would suggest you to reformat your hardrive then reinstall windows 98 or whatever OS you want. that would probably be your best bet.

XenWarrior 2004-06-19 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalisAkujin

Ahaha! I was just about to say that.

To the topic creator: The cpu is a part of your computer, the central processing unit. IE: Pentium or Athlon

_Sin_ 2004-06-19 07:25

Quote:

You know, not everyone is a computer god who knows everything. Although knowing the difference is one of the basics, you could have said it more politely. :nono: After all you are in the Tech Support Forums of an Anime (!) Forum and not on one of the computer tech sites.

DigitalisAkujin 2004-06-20 16:51

Quote:

You know, not everyone is a computer god who knows everything. Although knowing the difference is one of the basics, you could have said it more politely. :nono: After all you are in the Tech Support Forums of an Anime (!) Forum and not on one of the computer tech sites.

This is completly basic. It's like knowing the difference between air and water. Referring to a computer as CPU is like telling someone you're a complete retard in computer technology.

_Sin_ 2004-06-20 17:20

Quote:

This is completly basic. It's like knowing the difference between air and water. Referring to a computer as CPU is like telling someone you're a complete retard in computer technology.

I never said that it was not basic, I just said you could and should have said that less annoyed like XenWarrior did. Don't get so aggressive on people who just want some help.

phoenixfire92983 2004-06-21 01:10

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, but as you can see there were already three other people who pointed out the typo. I got the point, so please spend time actually answering the question instead of wasting time writing cynical comments next time.

KeinikuSuki 2004-06-21 17:15

You can't use system restore unless you have Windows XP or ME which would be a good reason that attempting to run system restore wouldn't work. Which operating system are you using?