AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Naruto/Boruto (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Naruto English dub discussion (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=31365)

Homeschooler_Jenni 2006-04-22 17:20

Naruto English dub discussion

I don't know about you,but I can't stand the english voices for Naruto. Am I the only one who feels this way? I loved the japanese version alot, but then when I found out it was going to be on cartoon network..I got a little worried that they would end up messing the voices up and stuff. Naruto's voice doesn't suit him....and as for Kakashi >_< his voice was originally going to be by the same guy who does Spike's voice from cowboy bebop,but they changed it. I thought that voice would have matched perfectly with Kakashi, but they gave it to Zabuza instead. I mean all the voices don't sound good at all, but Kakashi and Naruto's bothers me the most. I don't even watch it on TV :/ cuz the voices killed it. I hope someone responds to this. I want to know what others think about it.

New episodes soon! I can't wait! <3

Newtyped 2006-04-22 18:02

I hate english naruto, english one piece, and JAPANESE RK (kenshin sound gay in japanese ><)
so i agree, just remember sometimtes the japanese anime sounds worse ^^;;

yamato_D 2006-04-22 18:27

i don't like naruto's english voice either. it's just way too annoying. other than that though, the english dubs aren't THAT incredibly bad for the naruto anime. one piece on the other hand. . . what can i say. they completely ruined the great show. i'm surprised people even watch it. and is it just me, or has the actual visuals and animation gotten worse too? back to voices. rurouni kenshin had pretty good dubs. although i liked the japanese kenshin's voice. it sounded really soft and feminine, but the whole point of the show was to show kenshin's more human, kind side. plus most anime voices are done by women.

dcullen617 2006-04-22 18:29

i would prefer to just read subtitles to be honest i think the englich voices take away from the characters

fict_ticious 2006-04-22 18:33

I like Kakashi's and Anko's VAs - they sorta work. I'm not too picky, since I'm glad it actually made it stateside. Though replacing "dattebayo" with "believe it" is annoying. I'd have opted for something better, like "dy-no-mite!".

Ryuujin 2006-04-22 18:46

Well, this thread is more positive than I expected from this forum...

I think Naruto's dub is pretty damn good. Most of the voices fit the characters, and so on.

Homeschooler_Jenni 2006-04-22 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuujin

I think Naruto's dub is pretty damn good. Most of the voices fit the characters, and so on.

I guess I was just expecting it to be a little better, but even though I didn't care too much for the english version, I still love the anime to death. I can't wait for the new episodes! Sorry if I sounded too negative. I still love Naruto alot <3

EadTaes 2006-04-22 21:53

Kakashi's voice is prety good. Probably the only real good one. The worst sit hat of Oro. The english voice totaly does not hold credit to the character od Orochimaru it was a very big disapointment.

Syaoran 2006-04-23 02:48

Hah :p
I'm lucky it's not on TV here then ^^

But as for dubs in General ... brrr... you have no idea how gay some dutch or german voices can sound. I once saw Dragonball Z in Russian. 1 VA for all the characters!!! In France they somehow manage to respect the characters with their voices, but that's not aired here anymore.

acme64 2006-04-23 06:19

I just registerd so i can reply to this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryuujin

this is the worst damn dub i've EVER heard and your insane for not thinking the same.

p.s.: why can't we just get subtitles on air?

ShikaShika 2006-04-23 08:33

It doesn't really bother me if the Americans destroy the anime (not saying they are, haven't seen the dub), the Japanese are doing a pretty good job themselves.

the-1 2006-04-23 10:16

i only watched one american ep, it was the forest scene of the sasuke/orochimaru fight. and it sucked big time. so i'm not going to bother watching it anymore.

Haseo 2006-04-23 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcullen617
i would prefer to just read subtitles to be honest i think the englich voices take away from the characters

I think I'd have to agree with you. Japanese voices just sound better in the overall specturum of things.

The voice for a couple of the characters are okay, such as Sasuke and Sakura. They did okay, you can't expect them to have perfect voice matching. All though in Inuyasha, both Japanese and American Miroku's sounded almost identical. >_<

Mousuke 2006-04-23 15:46

ugh, don't even get me started on the dub...

I really am serious when I say that Naruto's english VA is the most GRATING voice I've ever heard...puts screechy harem girls and bratty little kids to shame.

The only voices I thought were actually good and suit their characters are Lee and Gai. XD

Sasuke's is okay, even though he makes all his lines sound sexual somehow...

Neji just made me want to cry.

Sakura...meh, it's some girl. It's more that her LINES are bad ("Could it be...? The Sharingan! His eyes...it's in BOTH of them!")

Ino and Temari are pretty good.

Shikamaru is very very very disappointing. So is Kakashi. Then again, I don't think anybody but the original Japanese VAs could pull off those characters.

Kurenai sounds like a transvestite.

Hinata tries waaaaaaaay too hard to sound loli and meek.

For all two lines I've heard Chouji speak, my reaction was "OMGNOOOOOOOOO!"

Zabuza and Haku = okay, kind of typical

Kiba was okay, Shino made me laugh

Gaara is runner up to Naruto when it comes to unbearable VAs.

Who cares about TenTen, really?

Izumo was good, Asuma was okay....

But in the end the majority of sub-par VAs mixed with the unbearable ones (which, ironically enough, are the main characers who talk the most) just make this dub fall on its face.

Homeschooler_Jenni 2006-04-24 09:26

Haha, I didn't even watch it long enough to hear Shikamaru or Temari's voices. ~_~ not even Neji and the others. Just haku,zabuza,naruto,kakashi,Sakura, and Sasuke. I didn't even watch ONE whole episode :/ I just couldn't take it. Not to mention I just finished watching the whole anime on my laptop IN JAPANESE WITH SUBTITLES...which is alot better I think. Thank God I can read ~_~ or I'd be screwed. <_< Did anyone watch all the fillers? I didn't ~~'

Syaoran 2006-04-24 10:00

This baka here is watching all the fillers ^^'
177 to 182 are still on the list.

I hope that for once in their lives, a TV channel down here will have the guts to show Naruto in its uncut Japanese version with Dutch subtitles instead of subbing the English version or even worse dub it completely. I don't want Naruto to sound like that moron that walked Pikachu around in Pokémon.

Last_Hope 2006-04-24 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syaoran
I hope that for once in their lives, a TV channel down here will have the guts to show Naruto in its uncut Japanese version with Dutch subtitles instead of subbing the English version or even worse dub it completely. I don't want Naruto to sound like that moron that walked Pikachu around in Pokémon.

They´ve done that with a few of series here in Sweden. Hellsing, CardCaptor Sakura and atleast one other show. I can´t remember the name of the last one. I think one or two of the Pokémon movies been shown just subtitled aswell.

After seeing Demolition Man German dubbed all american (and swedish) dubs of anime feels like a step in the right direction. :heh:

Zleach 2006-04-24 11:04

Well for me I think the main character Naruto sounds really gay, but all the other
voices sounds okay. The voices might get better as the series move forward, like
InuYasha, but for the main character Naruto I don't see his voice getting any better at all.

Man I'm just greatfull that I went to school to know how to read
so I could read the english subs of Naruto and the manga.

Shadowscar 2006-04-24 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zleach
Well for me I think the main character Naruto sounds really gay, but all the other voices sounds okay.

Ya i agree with ya they are all ok except naruto...

Homeschooler_Jenni 2006-04-24 11:59

I think Naruto is the worst :/