AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Japan to Offer Free Airfare to 10,000 Foreigners! (now cancelled) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107493)

MrTerrorist 2011-10-10 07:23

Japan to Offer Free Airfare to 10,000 Foreigners! (now cancelled)

Source.
The Japan Tourism Agency of the Japanese government is aiming to restore foreign tourism in the wake of the Great Eastern Japan Earthquake (Higashi Nihon Daishinsai) disaster by offering free airfare to 10,000 overseas tourists next year. The agency will mainly accept applications online, and if an applicant's travel plans meet the program's criteria, the agency will sponsor the applicant's round-trip airfare to Japan.

The purpose of the program is to have participants spread the word of their travels online and, by extension, the safety of visiting Japan now. The agency is allocating 1.1 billion yen (about US$14 million) from its requested 2012 budget for the program.

Blogger and television host Danny Choo is informally asking his readers to describe their travel plans via a questionnaire and short responses.

Oh. My. God. :D

This is so exciting. Your opinion everyone?

Om Nerabdator 2011-10-10 07:28

If i ever go to japan it will be when i have enough money to hire a translator.
But then again most signs over ther have english on them dont they?

Anyway thats one way to boost tourism ^^

SaintessHeart 2011-10-10 07:37

I am planning to go to Japan the end of next year to catch Kohaku No Gassen 2012/2013 as well as Winter Comiket.

Don't know if SGD$7,000 is enough or not......

HasuMasu 2011-10-10 07:47

Mission accepted.

Tatsumi Saiga 2011-10-10 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by matty543 (Post 3801113)
If i ever go to japan it will be when i have enough money to hire a translator.
But then again most signs over ther have english on them dont they?

Anyway thats one way to boost tourism ^^

I went a few years ago and I don't speak any Japanese. I had no problem getting around on the trains, communicating, shopping, playing with people in the arcades, etc.

Hiroi Sekai 2011-10-10 16:33

This is the opportunity of a lifetime. I just directly contacted Danny Choo and I'm going to try and get deserving people on here picked for the spots.

DonQuigleone 2011-10-10 16:48

I'd love to take part!

Where's the sign up sheet?

Hiroi Sekai 2011-10-10 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonQuigleone (Post 3801671)
I'd love to take part!

Where's the sign up sheet?

They haven't put up the application forms yet, but they're just announcing it.:heh:

There's a link to the tourism site in a link in the first post, so I'd keep checking back there.

Haladflire65 2011-10-10 16:58

I'm definitely wanting to apply for this. I haven't been to Tokyo for a year now and since I'm graduating high school next year, this can be my perfect gift! I'm also trying to convince friends to come with me to Japan but they're concerned about costs and radiation, so... Gah. I absolutely love that country, I have to go! I'll have to keep checking back for registrations!

Kyuu 2011-10-10 17:24

By telling everyone - you reduce chances of getting a ticket yourself. XD

But yea. So so many people will sign up for this; therefore, good luck on getting a ticket. If any of you becomes lucky enough to get one - I give you my sincere form of hate and jealousy. LOLOL XD XD XD

Anyways, personally. I'd love to run a road race out in Japan. Anything from 10 kilometers (6 miles) to a full marathon (26 miles).

DonQuigleone 2011-10-10 17:27

Makes me think that maybe my chances of getting on JET would be better this year.

Last year I couldn't get through as there were huge numbers of people applying.

But if tourism has been taking a hit, maybe JET applications will be down too...

Hiroi Sekai 2011-10-10 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyuu (Post 3801722)
By telling everyone - you reduce chances of getting a ticket yourself. XD

But yea. So so many people will sign up for this; therefore, good luck on getting a ticket. If any of you becomes lucky enough to get one - I give you my sincere form of hate and jealousy. LOLOL XD XD XD

Anyways, personally. I'd love to run a road race out in Japan. Anything from 10 kilometers (6 miles) to a full marathon (26 miles).

The popular sites will circulate it immediately anyways; anyone who is actually interested will know of it. What I want to try and do is fill those 10,000 spots with people who deserve to go, as opposed to people who just want to take advantage of a free vacation for themselves.

Hopefully my little plan works out.:heh:

Kyuu 2011-10-10 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonQuigleone (Post 3801726)
Makes me think that maybe my chances of getting on JET would be better this year.

South Korea has been more aggressive with ESL. A flight to Japan from there shouldn't be so bad either.

GDB 2011-10-10 17:48

Amazing. I figured I wouldn't be able to go to Japan again for another three years due to bills. If I don't have to worry about airfare, I can easily do it next year. Definitely going to apply. Maybe this time I'll be able to actually visit Conan Town.

Mystique 2011-10-10 18:40

Ah, the anime circles are announcing this eh?
Makes me wonder what kind of people will apply but I will be sending it to my friends/family in hope someone comes over and bloody visits me out here for the first time in my life xD

Here's a story for some peeps going to Japan, figured to stick it in 'travelling in Japan' (maybe it'll get merged) but sticking it here for now.
Trip to Japan finds a nation pampering guests.
(even more than usual, lol)

Haladflire65 2011-10-10 18:57

Hmm, are they going to pick people looking at their applications or do you think it would be random? Being picked is going to be freaking amazing. So many reasons for me wanting to go... I'm obsessed with Japan to the extent that people think I'm from there :rolleyes:

Hiroi Sekai 2011-10-10 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystique (Post 3801783)
Ah, the anime circles are announcing this eh?
Makes me wonder what kind of people will apply but I will be sending it to my friends/family in hope someone comes over and bloody visits me out here for the first time in my life xD

Here's a story for some peeps going to Japan, figured to stick it in 'travelling in Japan' (maybe it'll get merged) but sticking it here for now.
Trip to Japan finds a nation pampering guests.
(even more than usual, lol)

This is why I love Asian people overall. Over here we see people as piles of economic backing and basically mere playthings. Of course I only speak in generalities, but I've never had any sorts of disagreements or problems with any Japanese people I've come across. They're all really cool people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haladflire65 (Post 3801801)
Hmm, are they going to pick people looking at their applications or do you think it would be random? Being picked is going to be freaking amazing. So many reasons for me wanting to go... I'm obsessed with Japan to the extent that people think I'm from there :rolleyes:

I believe there'd be a few factors relevant. How many places will you go to in Japan? How much do you plan on spending, and how long do you think you'll stay? Remember that in the end, this is to help Japan's tourism industry, so by picking people who will spend the most money, they'll benefit the most. I'm not saying they'll pick everyone in that manner, but it's something to keep in mind.

Hooves 2011-10-10 19:10

Hmmmm, I was born in Japan at an air base by the end of the Cold War. So I never got a good chance to experience what it was like there. It would take some extreme luck for me to get picked anyway :heh: So I hope for everyone else on AS to get their chances.

Kudryavka 2011-10-10 19:43

Wow, never heard of something like this before. Interesting to see how daring a country can be!

No way I'm going due to circumstances, but good luck to all who decide to try for a spot!

ChainLegacy 2011-10-10 19:53

Haven't gotten a chance to peruse the offer but I would definitely be interested in something like this. :D