AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Muv-Luv Franchise (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Muv-Luv Franchise - Q & A (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113676)

Kairin 2012-07-24 17:52

Muv-Luv Franchise - Q & A

This thread is for those of you with questions about the Total Eclipse/Muv-Luv anime or manga. There are many questions that don't need a whole thread to discuss them. A simple practical answer straight from the anime or manga without any speculation can solve these connundrums. If someone has such a question about Total Eclipse/Muv-Luv which can be solved by answering with facts from an official source, then please ask that question here.

Please don't post in this thread unless you are asking a question or answering one. Please remember that it only takes 1 person to answer a question. And don't speculate! You can only reply with cold, hard, merciliessly unforgivable facts. If you have to speculate, then please just tell the querrant that no answer is known, but here are some facts that might help him make up his own mind.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is about the anime, manga, or any non-anime source. Untagged spoilers are risking a ban. There are two ways to create clearly marked spoiler tags, as shown in the following:

The easy way: By simply clicking on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template. This is how I create spoiler tags.
or
The macho way: By using those uber vB codes as shown in the following...

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title, i.e. your reason for the spoiler tag]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:

black knight iust 2012-07-25 16:58

Spoiler for NA:

AC-Phoenix 2012-07-25 18:16

Shouldn't Mitsuki and Haruka from Kimi ga nozomu eien be there too?
I remember having seen game screenshots for haruka talking about BETAs...

Irisu 2012-07-25 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix (Post 4273606)
Shouldn't Mitsuki and Haruka from Kimi ga nozomu eien be there too?
I remember having seen game screenshots for haruka talking about BETAs...

Spoiler for Mitsuki and Haruka:

Wild Goose 2012-07-25 22:31

The Muv-Luv wiki isn't like most other wikis, in that it doesn't take itself seriously at all, and has a high number of gag articles in order to counteract depressing shit that happens.

That said, the TSF sections read mostly like something outta Wikipedia.

Chaos2Frozen 2012-07-26 23:57

I'm new to all this so bear with me- But essentially, all the mechs are named after our real world warplanes?

And do they... Perform about the same as their namesake :heh: ?

Wild Goose 2012-07-27 00:37

Basically, Chaos, TSFs are real world planes reimagined as mecha. The F-4, which heralded the start of 3rd gen fighters in our wolrd, was the 1st gen TSF of its world. Performance is sorta similarish.

Chaos2Frozen 2012-07-27 00:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Goose (Post 4275513)
Basically, Chaos, TSFs are real world planes reimagined as mecha. The F-4, which heralded the start of 3rd gen fighters in our wolrd, was the 1st gen TSF of its world. Performance is sorta similarish.

Ahh, so when they said that Yuuya was a test pilot for the [Raptor], they meant THAT Raptor :eyespin: ?

Wild Goose 2012-07-27 01:36

Yep. Yuuya was a test pilot for the YF-22 Raptor prototype, IIRC. Either that, or he was a test pilot on the initial batch of F-22A Raptors entering service.

Incidentally, the YF-23 was just as stealthy as the YF-22, and had excellent CQC performance exceeding the Raptor, but it was also a hangar queen that needed a significantly greater amount of maintennance work, compared to the Raptor. Raptor was also relatively cheaper and easier to mass produce, and was not a drastic change in tactical doctrine.

DoomRavager 2012-07-27 02:55

The ATSF competition was in 1990, Yuuya's almost certainly too young to have been the YF-22 prototype test pilot.

He was probably a test pilot in the later stages of development e.g. the EMD Phase2, since after the ATSF competition the continued Raptor development dragged on for another decade or so.

Wild Goose 2012-07-27 03:25

Which mirrors real life: ATF was completed by 1991 and the YF-22 announced as winner, but the first production aircraft was rolled out in 1998 and the first 8 birds were EMD machines before production Raptors made their way to active duty squadrons.

Which means he probably kniws the Infinities...

DezoPenguin 2012-07-27 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Goose (Post 4275559)
Incidentally, the YF-23 was just as stealthy as the YF-22, and had excellent CQC performance exceeding the Raptor, but it was also a hangar queen that needed a significantly greater amount of maintennance work, compared to the Raptor. Raptor was also relatively cheaper and easier to mass produce, and was not a drastic change in tactical doctrine.

You're talking IRL now, not Muv-Luv, right?

Wild Goose 2012-07-27 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by DezoPenguin (Post 4276761)
You're talking IRL now, not Muv-Luv, right?

No, still Muv-Luv. I'm getting my info from translatons of Tactical Surface Fighter In Action, link here.

The "problem" as it were is that for the most part, the guys who did the writeups on the TSFs did to their research on the histories of the fighters that inspired the TSFs, and a fair number of things - sort of - mirror IRL. Of course, it's not perfect - IRL Strike Eagle's performance is somewhat less compared to the C-model Eagle, on account of the extra weight and drag from the conformal fuel tanks, but in Muv-Luv the Strike Eagle exceeds the Eagle in every way.

For example the Jolly Rogers Tomcats seen in Ep2 are explicitly stated to be VF-103, and not VF-84, the original Jolly Rogers, which mirrors IRL.

black knight iust 2012-07-27 21:52

how old are the pilots

Angrypokstick 2012-07-28 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Goose (Post 4276910)
For example the Jolly Rogers Tomcats seen in Ep2 are explicitly stated to be VF-103, and not VF-84, the original Jolly Rogers, which mirrors IRL.

i guess it make sense.Since VF-84 was disbanded in 1995 and VF-103 took up the name of Jolly Roger since then in real life. So during Muvluv 1998, the Jolly rogers would have been Vf-103.

Wild Goose 2012-07-28 02:53

Exactly, it's one of those little things that mirror IRL. Another is Raptor deployment - ATF/ATSF both concluded in 1991, and the first production Raptor, for the EMD phase, was rolled out in 1998, and deployment was achieved at the turn of the century (2001 for Muv-Luv, 2005 for IRL).

SoldierOfDarkness 2012-07-31 00:38

Just a question what's the deal with Yuuya and his father? What happened to him?

AC-Phoenix 2012-08-02 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komeirin (Post 4273768)
Spoiler for Mitsuki and Haruka:

What I meant was if they should appear in Total eclipse or if they fall under Yui's "Died in worse models than that" statement.

grevierr 2012-08-03 01:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix (Post 4286465)
What I meant was if they should appear in Total eclipse or if they fall under Yui's "Died in worse models than that" statement.

Spoiler for MLA:

encia 2012-08-04 02:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Goose (Post 4273931)
The Muv-Luv wiki isn't like most other wikis, in that it doesn't take itself seriously at all, and has a high number of gag articles in order to counteract depressing shit that happens.

That said, the TSF sections read mostly like something outta Wikipedia.

The problem with Muv-Luv wiki is the lack of academic style source citation.