AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Reviews & Recommendations (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Romance/Slice of life which makes you rage (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=94504)

Who 2010-06-10 16:50

Romance/Slice of life which makes you rage

Seems like a strange request but what can I say? Reading/watching these kinds of stuff make me want more. Well, I don't really rage since I laugh it off, but what I mean by rage is like some of the posts you see in forums cause the writing/characters are so mind-boggingly stupid or whatever.

Examples:
Kimi no Iru Machi
Haru yo Koi

I don't exactly have an exact list since I don't keep track of what I read or watch.
Responses are much appreciated.

Cynor 2010-06-10 18:07

Basically it sounds like you want a romance or slice of life (or combined) that has caused quite a bit of reaction on the forums for whatever reason? Be it just too out there, too much fanservice, shocking endings, bad/stupid writting or plot points?

Ok... the first that easily comes to mind is Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. KGNE is an older series, but it certainly caused a stir where you'd either love it or hate it. So that could fit.

Elfen Lied is also shocking for sure. There is a LOT of controversial topics brought up in it, and while I'm not sure how much made it to forums, it's certainly there and could have lead to some forum crying.

School Days... ok, what can I really say about this. The whole series is fairly messed up, and the ending doubly so. This DEFINITELY has made it into the forums before, and is still a bit of a topic at times too.

To LoveRu and Sekirei are two series with a lot of fanservice, which can cause some stir as it's borderline too much at times, and the plots are silly-ish too, plus that can lead to some silly writting also iirc.

Finally, Love Hina is another older one. But it was just really stupid at times, uses a lot of recurring jokes, etc. So I could see that have causing some stirs too.

Theowne 2010-06-10 19:27

So....you're looking for anime with such poor writing and unlikeable characters that it will elicit anger from you?

I guess School Days fits the requirement.

MamoruUsagi 2010-06-10 22:22

Peach Girl
Marmalade Boy
Absolute Boyfriend
Kare Kano

Scorch 2010-06-10 22:29

Suzuka. I felt like punching the two main characters after watching about half of the show.

MeoTwister5 2010-06-10 23:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theowne (Post 3086826)
So....you're looking for anime with such poor writing and unlikeable characters that it will elicit anger from you?

I guess School Days fits the requirement.

I wouldn't even call School Days anything close to Romance or SoL.

Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Theowne 2010-06-10 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 (Post 3087088)
Oh well, whatever floats your boat.

Just in case this is misinterpreted, I should probably clarify that I don't like School Days at all.

But if the OP wants "mind-bogglingly stupid" writing and characters, well, it's in there.

Cynor 2010-06-11 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 (Post 3087088)
I wouldn't even call School Days anything close to Romance or SoL.

It's been awhile since I've seen it, but while it wasn't a true romance story, I'd still call it a romance anime as it did have some elements of it, and a love triangle type thing, so it could fit.

Slice of Life is a little harder to pull from it, but one could be able to possibly... depending on their definition of it. Regardless, unless the OP wanted both that then had the "rage" factor too... well one should count.

Proto 2010-06-11 00:07

Slice of life is non formally soothing by definition. Something that makes you rage would go against the tenets of the genre.

0utf0xZer0 2010-06-11 01:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynor (Post 3087151)
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but while it wasn't a true romance story, I'd still call it a romance anime as it did have some elements of it, and a love triangle type thing, so it could fit.

Slice of Life is a little harder to pull from it, but one could be able to possibly... depending on their definition of it. Regardless, unless the OP wanted both that then had the "rage" factor too... well one should count.

I've heard School Days described as a deconstruction of harem anime. There's some kernels in it that would make a good deconstruction of the genre (cheating male lead, a mentally ill girl who has trouble dealing with betrayal, etc.) but School Day's approach is just so ham handed and over the top that it really doesn't work, except as a soap opera-ish guilty pleasure. There's just way too much angst and screwing over the characters in extreme ways to take it seriously. My girlfriend likes it, but she's a fan of the yandere (sweet outside, ax crazy inside) characters so I'm willing to give her a pass on it.

lixuelai 2010-06-11 03:36

You might like D-ASH. I read that right before Haru yo Koi and liked both of them though Haru yo Koi had more WTFs for me. Also maybe some josei/shoujo manga will fit the bill. You seem to be looking for more serious seinen stuff and those often share similar plot lines with josei/shoujo manga. There are plenty of josei/shoujo that is so melodramatic that it gets kind of ridiculous (I bet some Miki Aihara manga aka Hot Gimmick and the more recent Honey Hunt will make you rage pretty hard).

Haak 2010-06-11 03:57

I would also have to recommend School Days. It's perfect for what you're looking for. it seems to me that you're looking for an Idiot Plot

Taricitous 2010-06-11 09:21

+1 for "school days" reasons have been listed, i guess "inukami" kinda slides into what your looking for, may I also suggest "chaos:head" after recently rewatching that show, i have once again reminded myself why i hate idiotic main characters =)

happy viewing ^^

Kafriel 2010-06-11 09:41

This thread makes me so happy that I haven't watched school days :heh:

MeoTwister5 2010-06-11 09:54

I'm also glad no one called me out on my inadvertent referencing of a meme because I only just now realizes what I did.:eyespin:

Haak 2010-06-11 09:55

Lol. I thought you did that on purpose. XD

Cynor 2010-06-11 15:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taricitous (Post 3087601)
I also suggest "chaos:head" after recently rewatching that show, i have once again reminded myself why i hate idiotic main characters =)

happy viewing ^^

Seconded for Choas;Head. That was a pretty messed up story, stupid lead, etc too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kafriel (Post 3087622)

NO! You must watch it! Go watch it and be amazed!

Who 2010-06-11 16:17

@Proto: Yeah, wasn't sure whether SoL was right for it. Glad you clarified.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Will run through them all.

Shiroth 2010-06-11 17:33

Quote:

I'm surprised you don't want to watch it after reading posts in this thread. :p

It's worth a watch though.

0utf0xZer0 2010-06-11 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taricitous (Post 3087601)
i guess "inukami" kinda slides into what your looking for,

Inukami is fun-stupid rather than rage-stupid, and honestly one of my favourite "crosses that line twice" anime comedies. That said, it can be pretty brain scarring so I don't recommend it to those with a low tolerance for manservice.

Quote:

The said part is that the show is better known than a lot of really good animes precisely because it's rage inducing and ham handed.