AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   One Piece (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   One Piece - Chapter 686 [manga] (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=115758)

james0246 2012-10-24 00:30

One Piece - Chapter 686 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

---

Full spoilers have been released.

Quote:

-Cover Story: Coribou rescues his brother.

-As Mocha runs from the crazed children, her back story is revealed. Nami and company attempt to help her as well as protect the children from Monet and themselves.

-Meanwhile, Zoro attempts to confront Monet, only for her to flee and attempt to attack Nami. Zoro intervenes, and while Nami listens to their brief discussion, she unleashes a Clima Tact attack, melting Monet's wings and seemingly Monet herself as well. As soon as Monet becomes a puddle on the floor, she unleashes a large snow attack that covers the entire room (she refuses to allow any of the Strawhats to help the kids since her duty is to protect Caesar as well as his experiments).

-Taking on a new appearance (now with fangs), Monet materializes behind Nami and attempts to eat Chopper! Robin stops the new Monet with a gigantic hand attack that crushes Monet.

-Meanwhile, Zoro opens the snow covered door (so Nami and the others can go save the children). As Zoro and Monet begin to battle (Monet turning her wings into blades), Monet quickly releases that Zoro is not attacking her but is only using defensive moves. Whereas before she had no confidence in her ability to defeat Zoro, she now thinks she can defeat the swordsman.

-But, their fight is interrupted by Sanji leading in the marines. As Zoro tells Sanji to go after the kids, Sanji instead orders the marines to start ridiculing and making fun of Zoro. They do with great delight until Monet takes on her monster form and bites one of the soldiers, taking his shoulder off. The marines retaliate, but their guns have no affect on the logia Monet.

-In retaliation for her wounded soldier, Tashigi attacks with a Haki slice, landing a slice on the logia-user. Telling her soldiers and the Strawhats to go on, she prepares to battle Monet one-on-one.

ronin myael 2012-10-24 00:40

thanks for the early thread james! :)

so it's tashigi versus monet? i was hoping to see a monet and zoro showdown but looks like i'll have to wait a little more to see zoro's "new world" abilities.

Freya 2012-10-24 02:09

Oh boy. Zoro and Sanji are so funny. Waiting for Zoro to bust out some new moves and own Monet.

SilverSyko 2012-10-24 02:32

Monet is really a force not to be underestimated. That monstrous yuki-onna form of hers is definitely looks like something you wouldn't want to fuck with. I wonder though, is she really just defending the kids because they're Caesar's "experiments", or has she developed a maternal attachment she just doesn't want to admit?

Either way, it's neat that Tashigi is joining in on the battle. Her double teaming with Zoro should guarantee that Monet doesn't stand a chance, even with her devil fruit.

Monet's shy and embarrassed reaction towards Sanji and the Marines' comments was rather unexpected to me, yet amusing considering her character.

ronin myael 2012-10-24 02:34

love the zoro and sanji banter, they never fail to make me laugh. :heh:

so it's two against one, zoro and tashigi versus monet. maybe sanji's stand about not fighting against women has rubbed off on zoro just a little bit. otherwise, why would he hesitate in attacking monet? maybe that's what he needs tashigi for.

Kafriel 2012-10-24 03:02

Robin: It's just a flesh wound. After getting stabbed in the back :heh: Unless it was just a shoulder scratch...oh well.

Sanji is still hilarious, loved his moments with Zoro. Speaking of Zoro, tag team with Tashigi will be awesome, looking forward to it.

Eisdrache 2012-10-24 03:25

I loved the panel in which Monet was embarassed as well. Oh and the moment when Sanji was leading the charge :D

Hopefully we will get some Tashigi scenes in the next chapter.

raziel16 2012-10-24 06:19

It happened again, for some reasons, both Luffy and Zoro can't (or won't) attack Monet.
But Tashigi and Nami don't seem to have problem with that.

Maybe it's "Guys can't attack me" ability? :D

Kanon 2012-10-24 06:39

Monet is a really fun character. Her fighting style is great and I loved her reaction to being complimented by the guys. Never thought she had such a bashful side, if only she could be like that more often.

I'm curious to find out the reason Zoro can't attack her. I doubt it's because he can't use haki (Luffy already confirmed he can) and I don't think Zoro would have any problem fighting women so long as they are capable of defending themselves, so there has to be a deeper reason. I have no clue what it is though.

The Sanji and Zoro interaction we got in this chapter was the funniest we've had in a while. I never get tired of these two.

Rahan 2012-10-24 06:42

It's nothing new, he already couldn't attack Tashigi back then, and I don't think that's because of her ressemblance with his childhood friend. (well, I admit I don't remember if he thought Tashigi was his friend)

Trax 2012-10-24 08:32

Now there's an interesting turn of events... Zoro teaming up with Tashigi. I approve!

Also loved some of the fun moments such as Sanji instructing the marines to make fun of Zoro, and Monet suddenly feeling flattered. She's still a nasty piece of work though, with tricky powers and sneaky attacks. Taking a bite out of a marine's shoulder, yikes. And apparently she is a bit messed up in the head, being all "protective" towards the kids.

marvelB 2012-10-24 09:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Small One (Post 4410440)
Maybe Zoro simply can't attack her, because all his attacks are so powerful, that they would hurt others in the room as well. After all he ordered Nami&Co to chase the kids, and one of his first comments to Sanji was to go away as well.

Ooooorrrrr.... he may just have a similar "don't harm the wimmens" policy as Sanji does. :p

Anyways, fun chapter. It's great to see more of Monet's power. I'm also further convinced that the harpy body was Law's doing because the kid's flashback still showed her in a fully human body. And boy, was I surprised by her snow monster form! So anyway, it looks like we're going to see a Zoro/Tashigi tag-team for the first time ever! Really awesome, indeed! And yeah, the Sanji moments were great, too ("Hey guys, let's make fun of Zoro while we pass by!") :D

As for the ministory, I gotta say once again that I'm pretty impressed with Coribou. So he apparently kicked that commodore's ass and actually managed to rescue that swampy brother of his! But one still has to wonder if there will be any more obstacles to get in the way of that daring rescue (for instance, is Jinbei still anywhere nearby the G5 base).....?

Hisoka?? 2012-10-24 10:05

Wonder why zoro hasn't been doing much. He hasn't even gotten serious (since his mouth is empty) despite telling luffy to get serious earlier...

marvelB 2012-10-24 10:19

^Well, he'll probably start getting serious now that he's teamed with Tashigi. BTW, I consider the appearance of his bandanna to be a more obvious sign that he's serious than stuffing a sword in his mouth, to be honest. :p

Anyhoo, since this chapter focused exclusively on Zoro/Sanji's group, I wonder if the next chapter will focus entirely on the VA battle and/or Luffy and Momo's Excellent Adventure? ;)

Xellos-_^ 2012-10-24 11:45

Obligatory Monet for Nakama

Unless it is a translation issue, Monet was recognize by the marines as a Harpy, so the snow power would be the fruit then.

PS. Captain-chan looks really cute on the last panel.

Kona 2012-10-24 12:02

Tashigi is gonna get more time so we will know what kind abilities she has. Barely anything we've seen from her. Her style is gonna be different to Zoro since it's one sword style.

BaKaBaKaOtaKu 2012-10-24 12:21

I love Monet, okay? That's all I can say. Btw, Robin's a kickass again XD

SMASHERJACKSON 2012-10-24 12:59

Seems like this wont be resolved before Dofla's crew men turn up, I'd really like to see more of Smoker vs Vergo, something tells me Vergo hasn't shown all his cards yet.

ZeroForever 2012-10-24 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvelB (Post 4410484)
^, I consider the appearance of his bandanna to be a more obvious sign that he's serious than stuffing a sword in his mouth, to be honest. :p
)

Pretty much this, before all his serious fights he at some point equips his bandanna which he hasn't bothered with yet.

like the others I'm going assume he's gotten to the point if he's serious it's hard to control his strength/aoe of his attacks.

ntherblast 2012-10-24 13:27

Zoro probably doesnt want to attackc ause if he did everyone else would get hit by the attack