AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Video Games (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Dawn of War (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=21587)

JediNight 2004-10-05 14:08

Dawn of War

Not really Anime-related game, but is anyone playing the Dawn of War RTS? (Based on Warhammer 40,000). If anyone was thinking about getting it, its a really excellent RTS game IMHO. The squad-based strategy is a refreshing change from the standard RTS hash, and its really fun. Better than Warcraft3 (which kinda sux imho) and the best I've seen since Red Alert2.

KeithCourage 2004-10-05 14:47

Yeah not terribly anime related, but another juncture of mainstream..ism..i guess. I'll second JediNight's opinion, it's a really really good game. No more individual microing helps bring to bear (haha bad pun for a game with lots of shooting) all the skills into tactics and heat of battle management. Amazing presentation is what shoots this game over the top though. For those of you who say graphics can't make a game (like I used to) ...well, news folks...it can. Download the demo at www.dawnofwargame.com/demo ...that at the very least is worth your time...and so is the amazing CG intro that dwarfs anything I've ever seen in a video game.

Ending 2004-10-05 15:14

Have it, but it's still waiting to be installed after I have finished a few other games first. Managed to take a peek at the system requirments though, and they seem pretty high.

1.4 GHz Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon XP processor at MINIMUM? Whoah, my computer is only two or three years old 1800+ and this game WILL lag even at minimum settings when the action gets though. A "mere" 2.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent is the recommended one to play with at least medium settings, and only with 3 gigs you can play without lag. :dots:

Entropy 2004-10-05 15:58

ARGH we just had another thread on this a week and a half ago! :mad:

jk,but the game just...agitates me a little at this stage.I betaed the game as soon as the open beta came(early August).For a month and a half I lived,ate,and breathed Dawn of War,making the better part of 1000 posts at the Relic forums making arguements about every little thing you could possibly imagine because I'm one of those pathetic Relic fanboys that can't stop trying to p1mp and help people with Relic games.

It seems that these days everywhere I go I could read someone talking about the game.In the past this wasn't so bad because frankly at best Relic games sold about a half million copies so we were relatively mid sized as a community which we liked.Than this game comes alone and we litterally crash forums,I litterally can't get away from DoW even while playing CoD:UO(I was playing on a server and someone mentioned it).I'm elated at the sucess of the game but after all this I'm exhausted from effort.

Anyways Dawn of War is a great game to strategy buffs and xcraft/C&C players alike.It's familiar enough so that the latter doesn't get too confused and on the other hand it's different enough so that the former can still find enjoyment in it.Out of two polarities of RTS it manages to reside in the middle ,incorporating things from both areas(R:TW and GCII vs BFME and the like) and mixing it all up.It's not for everyone,but it looks like it's for a lot of people.

The only bad thing is that the campaign is a little short at 11 missions though those 11 are not bad especially with the good plot unlike Homeworld 2,not to mention that Multi is a blast.The game also didn't ship with a map editor,though in the future one will be released along with the mod tools.I don't know when,but I hope they don't take as long as they took for HW2,because by the time those came out it was too little too late for that ill-fated game.

BTW Wirhe,from what I heard the game runs well with other people's 800 mhz processors.1.8 ghz should run the game quite well,perhaps it's your RAM you should be looking at?

JediNight 2004-10-05 16:18

Entropy: I've been looking for that picture in your sig for a long time lol. As for DoW: My name is Aereus in-game when I'm playing and I always stay in the first chat room. Eldar 4tehwin~ hehe.

I'm tired of listening to everyone complain about them though -- if I have a Seer Council they say I win bc of that, or if I just have Guardians they say its not fair I have Plasma Grenades and Entangle. (Besides the fact they can add Flamers, Heavy Bolters, etc to their squads). I played a game last night where my friend and I told them we don't SC rush, so they turned around and did a CSM rush on us and forced us to make the SC to hold them off anyways =\ I was always a Protoss player in Starcraft so Eldar are up my alley.

Archuka 2004-10-07 09:41

I just finished the demo.

The graphics are indeed very, very cool, though I would have liked being able to zoom out a bit more. A single squad covers like 1/4 of the screen now.

I think I also noticed a memory leak. At first I would run it really smoothly at 1024x768, but then my fps started dropping and at the ending sequence after I beat the map I was having pretty heavy graphics lag.

Ending 2004-10-07 09:59

@ Entropy

Like I said: I only took a peek at the requirments and what they said -I do not (yet) know how well it runs in reality, but since I must run it at 1280x resolution I'm expecting that I have to tune down the graphics a whole lot.

AndrewLB 2004-10-07 14:22

http://andrewlb.com/dawnofwar

Amazing game.

JediNight 2004-10-09 03:08

Well if anyone wants to play online (and doesn't suck) drop a line here ;)

JediNight 2004-10-26 23:34

Anyone here still play regularly? I really need some good partners to play with. Tired of dying bc my random partner is horrible. Drop your names or PM me of when you usually play.

My handle is Aereus on DoW.

Necrodeath 2004-10-27 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wirhe
Have it, but it's still waiting to be installed after I have finished a few other games first. Managed to take a peek at the system requirments though, and they seem pretty high.

1.4 GHz Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon XP processor at MINIMUM? Whoah, my computer is only two or three years old 1800+ and this game WILL lag even at minimum settings when the action gets though. A "mere" 2.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent is the recommended one to play with at least medium settings, and only with 3 gigs you can play without lag. :dots:

What you are saying now is a load of bullpoop. I have a P4 2.8Ghz with Hyper Threading. My little brother has a P3 1ghz. We both run the game smoothly. Granted, I run it on the highest detail level, but he doesn't run on the lowest settings. He runs it at about medium quality. Besides, when talking about games, don't only state the processor, state you GFX card too as it has to do alot with minimun system specs.

Little Edit: Oh right, it's a great game :heh:

StoneColdCrazy 2004-10-28 19:01

Edited to make more sense.

I'm really struggling to work out why (some) people like DoW so much, as it's effectively Kohan meets Starcraft meets Total Annihalation and adds very little to the genre apart from slightly better graphics.

SCC

JediNight 2004-10-28 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneColdCrazy
I'm really struggling to work out why (some) people like DoW so much, as it's effectively Kohan meets Starcraft meets Total Annihalation and adds very little to the genre apart from slightly better graphics.

What is Kohan? I've never heard of that before. As for the rest -- Starcraft is generally accepted as being a ripoff of Warhammer 40k. (Protoss=Eldar, Tyranids= Zerg, Space Marines=Terrans) I never played TA bc I was into Starcraft, did TA have squad-based fighting? DoW is actually more similar to TA:Kingdoms actually -- TAK had static resource points to capture with a similar resource-scheme.

The reason people like it so much is bc its Warhammer and/or its a refreshing change from the standard fare of RTS games that come out in slews nowadays. Even if it were similar to TA, that game was out 7 years ago, I'm not aware of any other squad-based RTS games (Ive played about a dozen of them since Warcraft1 and heard of numerous others)

StoneColdCrazy 2004-10-28 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediNight
What is Kohan? I've never heard of that before. As for the rest -- Starcraft is generally accepted as being a ripoff of Warhammer 40k.

Kohan.

And I'm talking about computer games - whether it was or wasn't a rip off of the 40k universe didn't really matter to Starcraft as it still became a cornerstone of the genre.

Quote:

The reason people like it so much is bc its Warhammer and/or its a refreshing change from the standard fare of RTS games that come out in slews nowadays.

But how is it a change from the standard fare of RTS games (apart from in production values and irritating voice acting)? That's my whole question. For a genre that's effectively existed for fifteen years (unless you count Chaos, on the Spectrum, which I don't, counting from Herzog Zwei instead) RTSs have made rather stunted progress.

Quote:

I'm not aware of any other squad-based RTS games.

The Kohan games or the Close Combat series are two examples (well, two sets of several examples) off the top of my head.

SCC

Entropy 2004-10-28 19:33

Quote:

To be honest...what isn't good about that combo?

Granted most of the "new" things that people talk about in DoW aren't new at all(some of the concepts been around since the 80s),but still,that kind of combination apparently is good.

Cichlisuite 2004-10-28 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by JediNight:
The reason people like it so much is bc its Warhammer and/or its a refreshing change from the standard fare of RTS games that come out in slews nowadays. Even if it were similar to TA, that game was out 7 years ago, I'm not aware of any other squad-based RTS games (Ive played about a dozen of them since Warcraft1 and heard of numerous others)

I think the reason is so popular is because its based on Warhammer 40k and its the best rts we are going to get untill Starcraft 2.

Entropy 2004-10-28 19:40

I've been with the game since it's been announced(heh...kinda easy if you're a Relic Fanboi),and I wouldn't be willing to that sort of call.

StoneColdCrazy 2004-10-28 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropy
To be honest...what isn't good about that combo?

I think what I meant to ask is what is better about that combination? Playing DoW just makes me feel like I'm playing Starcraft all over again. Which might be fine, but if I wanted to play Starcraft all over again I'd play Starcraft all over again. The 'tactical' choices presented by entrenchment rules, the fact that units still absorb inordinate amounts of gunfire before they die whilst standing and firing at each other Police Squad style, the fact that numerical or economical superiority wins out over tactical consideration, the flaws inherent in trying to manage entire armies with one mouse pointer... These are lazy fundaments of the genre and so the game just becomes extremely derivative... What is it offering that you can't get 90% of elsewhere? What am I missing?

SCC

JediNight 2004-10-29 00:45

That will change with the 1.1 patch coming out within a few days SCC. Have you even played the full version of DoW online yet? When the 1.1 patch comes out it fixes the Stand Ground bug -- fixed it will force Ranged units into Close Combat when being Melee'd against and reduce their Ranged accuracy to 1% .... this is the current reason for the somewhat stale combat is that there is no incentive to use CC units when the Ranged guys stand there taking it.

It's crazy fun when you have a couple squads of CC units mixing it up with their Ranged backup. Meanwhile your Wraithlord charges into the battle flaming all the squads, knocking troops 50ft and breaking them in its hand. Then your Fire Prism tanks Jump in from the back lines to shell the enemy.

Maybe its because I play Eldar which require a fair amount of micromanagement compared to Space Marines.

CalamitiesEnd 2004-10-29 06:06

I rather they fix the bug completely so that then a Stand ground squad is attacked in CC it will go in CC not just shoot. It realy sucks to have your whole fire pattern runined because your troops decide to run around you know?