AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Spice and Wolf (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Spice and Wolf - Novel/Anime Comparison Spoiler Thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=84207)

relentlessflame 2009-07-21 23:42

Spice and Wolf - Novel/Anime Comparison Spoiler Thread

This thread is to allow people who are familiar with the Novels to discuss how the anime adaptation compares to the way the story was originally presented in the Novels. You may also compare to the way the manga adapted novel scenes, if you'd like.

Because this is a "Spoiler Thread", it is the expectation that all those participating in the thread are at least passively familiar with the novels and are thus not afraid of having future novel events spoiled. That being said, as a courtesy, I would ask that all major spoilers be placed under clearly-marked spoiler tags just in case.

Mai Kawasumi 2009-07-24 02:07

About episode 3 preview

Spoiler for Episode 3 preview:

Happen in the novels? I don't remember that, or maybe is just

Spoiler for Lawrence:

Darknemo2000 2009-07-24 02:19

No it did not happen in the novels, and yes most likely it is just Lawrence imagination, but again in the novels he did not imagine such thing either.

typhonsentra 2009-07-25 16:08

You sure? Perhaps not a kiss specifically but I remember him obsessing over Amarti and Horo being alone together during the portion of the story that next week (And possibly the week after) will cover.

Darknemo2000 2009-07-26 01:27

Yeah but the question was about the kiss and nothing like that happened even when Lawrence was making all that fuss in his head.

fish eric 2009-07-29 02:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by typhonsentra (Post 2538066)
You sure? Perhaps not a kiss specifically but I remember him obsessing over Amarti and Horo being alone together during the portion of the story that next week (And possibly the week after) will cover.

He probably imagines what happened when Amati was upstairs alone with Horo in their room.

bekyuubi 2009-07-30 08:21

Spoiler for Future speculation judging from opening theme vs novel.:

israfel070 2009-07-30 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekyuubi (Post 2547478)
Spoiler for Future speculation judging from opening theme vs novel.:

They are TRUCKING through book 3. We're 80% through it after 4 episodes, so we'll be done by ep 5/6. They will have plenty of room in this season for book 4 and then 5.

Kaguya 2009-07-31 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by israfel070 (Post 2549004)
They are TRUCKING through book 3. We're 80% through it after 4 episodes, so we'll be done by ep 5/6. They will have plenty of room in this season for book 4 and then 5.

It was announced officially that 2nd season covers book 3 and book 5.
Spoiler for book 4:

bekyuubi 2009-08-17 10:44

Upon rereading the ending of book 3, when Horo hugged Lawrence and asked her to treat her nicely, she was doing so in a rather scary manner. She was looking up at him, smiling slyly and she hugged him. He compared her to a snake coiling around its prey; her smile was really scary and her lines were, (Anime made it impossible for her to look up at him. Pretty much apparent that the scene was to make fun of naive boy Lawrence.)

"Will you be gentle to me?" (same as anime)

and he thought along these lines.

"Horo's definitely a devil." but also expressed much disappointment after she gave up flirting. (woah. Anime Lawrence is blushing like a girl, haha. Novel didn't show anything like that.)

Her comments about the bird goddess making her frustrated and annoyed etc etc was the same as the anime, and she stopped flirting with Lawrence for that reason.

I don't see any response to her annoyed at amarty's comment in the book. It wasn't mentioned that she wanted to leave amarty in a poorer state either.

Some minor differences here and there, pretty much related to embarassing Lawrence for all its worth. Awesome directing in any case.

bekyuubi 2009-08-24 04:45

In episode 7 where Lawrence kissed Horo's hand by the stairs, was described in the novel to be him being embarrassed by his own action. He then walked down the stairs quickly as he afraid that he was blushing and Horo will make fun of him. He was gloating of the fact that he finally won a game of wit (the banters of Lawrence/horo have him losing or being made fun of.) where Horo couldn't find a suitable comeback, therefore he wanted to avoid losing and thus sort of pulled her hand.

PS: Pulling all these from my memory. Seeing Horo eat reminded me where she ate an entire roasted pig in human form, that was described to be able to feed a dozen adults somewhere in the novels.

judgment26 2009-09-15 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by bekyuubi (Post 2587343)
I don't see any response to her annoyed at amarty's comment in the book. It wasn't mentioned that she wanted to leave amarty in a poorer state either.

Actually, the book does mention Amati saying something unforgivable from Horo's standpoint:

Spoiler for Vol. 3 Final Chapter: