AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Hoshi o Ou Kodomo (Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below) (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=98944)

Falkor 2010-11-09 09:38

Hoshi o Ou Kodomo (Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below)

new Makoto Shinkai project, announced by stuopidget on this post.

Here's the trailer: **stolen from his other post**

Official Website

Synopsis:--
Asuna lost her father and lives a lonely life listening to mysterious music coming from her father's crystal radio. One day she sets out for a journey to see a boy again. Through the adventure, she experiences a parting and finds the cruelty and the beauty of the world.

LoweGear 2010-11-09 10:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Name
Makoto Shinkai

100% SOLD :D

And it looks like he's gonna be upping the action this time around, while still maintaining that delicious animation quality :love:

Dop 2010-11-09 10:47

It looks wonderful - all that lovely Makoto Shinkai visual richness!

Also looks quite Ghibliesque in places, too. Not that this is a bad thing.

Shiroth 2010-11-09 12:00

Oh my those visuals, oh my that Temon piece.

I am 100% sold. This is going to be outstanding, i'm sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dop (Post 3338524)
Also looks quite Ghibliesque in places, too.

The summary alone reminds me of a Hayao Miyazaki film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summary
Asuna lost her father and lives a lonely life listening to mysterious music coming from her father's crystal radio. One day she sets out for a journey to see a boy again. Through the adventure, she experiences a parting and finds the cruelty and the beauty of the world.

totoum 2010-11-09 14:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dop (Post 3338524)
Also looks quite Ghibliesque in places, too. Not that this is a bad thing.

Yep,I never got why Makoto shinkei was sometimes compared to Hayao Miyazaki because I thaught they were not really alike but here I can see it.

Guardian Enzo 2010-11-09 18:35

I don't think they ever were alike - aside from the both being geniuses thing. I think the comparison was always based on the whole "next Miyazaki" nonsense - a mantle I hated but always thought better suited to Mamoru Hosoda anyway. But these character designs really do look like they're ripped straight out of Ghibli. I love Shinkai and I love Miyazaki, but for reason this juxtaposition seems odd to me.

That said, Shinkai is a visual artist without peer and I adore the simple bittersweet narratives he's always spun. For no one else's new work would I get this excited.

Blue-kun 2010-11-09 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiroth (Post 3338626)
Oh my those visuals, oh my that Temon piece.

I am 100% sold. This is going to be outstanding, i'm sure.

The summary alone reminds me of a Hayao Miyazaki film.

I'm honestly worried, here. I came to love Shinkai due to the theme of his movies. He was a master at directing those touching love stories. And then out of the blue comes something which reminds me a bit too much of the stuff Ghibli has been pulling off for years and years. And masterfully, too.

I'm afraid that, once I finally get to watch this, I'll be unable to watch it without drawing parallels left and right with Miyazaki's stuff, in case they do end up being similar. I don't quite believe Shinkai will be able to make something better, which is basically what's bothering me.

Of course, this is all speculation, seeing as we can hardly claim the movie will be <a very Miyazaki-ish story> from a 30(?) seconds teaser. But I can't deny that I was expecting something very different, more along the lines of what Shinkai's been doing for the last past years.

Oh well! Hopefully I'll be surprised. And at least Tenmon's piano's sounding as good as ever.

Pocari_Sweat 2010-11-09 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue-kun (Post 3339197)
I'm honestly worried, here. I came to love Shinkai due to the theme of his movies. He was a master at directing those touching love stories. And then out of the blue comes something which reminds me a bit too much of the stuff Ghibli has been pulling off for years and years. And masterfully, too.

I'm afraid that, once I finally get to watch this, I'll be unable to watch it without drawing parallels left and right with Miyazaki's stuff, in case they do end up being similar. I don't quite believe Shinkai will be able to make something better, which is basically what's bothering me.

Of course, this is all speculation, seeing as we can hardly claim the movie will be <a very Miyazaki-ish story> from a 30(?) seconds teaser. But I can't deny that I was expecting something very different, more along the lines of what Shinkai's been doing for the last past years.

Oh well! Hopefully I'll be surprised. And at least Tenmon's piano's sounding as good as ever.

Agreed. I'm also somewhat worried that the trailer makes it look somewhat Ghibli-like. That's going into somewhat dangerous territory there. It does however, have the Shinkai/Tenmon touch with the masterful, melachonly music and dramatic atmosphere and visually appealing background art.

applejuice 2010-11-10 00:40

I first thought, 'oh cool. New miyazaki hayao animu!!!' and then it was makoto shinkai...

The world setting and character design was really similar to usual Ghibli fantasy movies. I can still see his mastery on breathtaking BG arts and its details, but well... What I liked about Shinkai produced animes were its portrayer of fantasy in realism; which is directly opposite to Miyazaki which is about portraying realism in fantasy. If this become something like Spirited Away rehash, I won't be amused.

I didn't really like any of his products deeply, other than admitting his graphical imagery and portrayer of theme is already at level that no-one can catch up. I hope this one breaks my bias and show that he can actually do much better with plot and pacing.

Shiroth 2010-11-10 04:50

Personally i don't see why it matters if this film looks similar to a Miyazaki film. At the end of the day it's a Shinkai film, and i'll enjoy it for being one. I actually think it's rather interesting that he's adventuring out into different genres, especially after seeing where Voices of a Different Star could have gone.

MeoTwister5 2010-11-10 05:18

After seeing the title I had initially thought that this might even be a follow up to Hoshi no Koe, but it obviously isn't, though that isn't a bad thing. His first episode-length work ended beautifully enough.

I think I can understand the fears of a Ghibli-esque feel due to the altered expectations when you're trying to mix two god-tier productions into one. It may look like a Ghibli production, but the feelings and thematic content of Shinkai is very much different than Ghibli and Miyazaki works IMHO.

margafred 2010-11-10 05:21

Oh god its Shinkai again... can't help but to fall for his awesome god-level work that even surpasses the detailness in animation from renown studios like KyoAni, Madhouse and Bones. I'll be even more surprised if the promo vid above and all the animation works were made by him alone, though i don't think its the same case again like his previous works . But this is Shinkai we're talking about, a man that can make anything impossible possible.

Yeah definitely gonna look forward into this. I don't mind if ppl saying its a rip-off or copycat from Ghibli's style, or becomes the 2nd Hayao Miyazaki. What i want to see is the quality of the artwork, animation, music and storyline, and Shinkai is the person that never fails in delivering all these elements in the highest quality possible. He had proven it in his previous solo work, and he will do it again this time.

jonli 2010-11-10 05:32

Shinkai's work always intrigue me but I really dislike the way he paces his stories, the one I truly enjoyed was Her and Her Cat. Voice of a Distant star had an incredible premise but it was too short to give me any kind of satisfaction, I don't blame him because that's one of his self-animated works. Beyond the Clouds, Promised Place....meh. 5cm....meh.

I still watch them though because they are aesthetically incredible. Animation, detail, design are all AA+ stuff.

This one, I agree, looks extremely Ghibli. I'll watch it with as little expectation as possible. Or else I'll just end up being disappointed again.

Kanon 2010-11-10 08:20

Wow... as visually stunning as ever, I see. It's true that this looks an awfully lot like Ghibli's works, especially the chara design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue-kun (Post 3339197)

I, for one, am glad he's trying out something new (for him, at least). I love all of his movies but I was starting to get a bit bored of the "long distance relationship" theme he always uses. He's already brilliantly explored this theme, it's time to move on to something else, at least for a while. Change is good.

The girl is seaching for a boy, so it sounds like it might be a love story after all, just a very different one from what Shinkai has gotten us used to.

nojay 2010-11-10 08:58

It's got railway tracks in it, it must be a Shinkai... The vibe I was getting from the trailer and the website snapshots is not Ghibli per se but _Summer Wars_ and _The Girl Who Leapt Through Time_, i.e. detailed naturalistic animation. What I'm not seeing in what is being shown to us at the moment is Shinkai's usual heavy investment in computer graphics to animate his stories. Either he's moved on from that, he's taken off the training wheels in a way, or the CG and modelling so well integrated into the visuals you no longer notice it, yet another way of saying he's stepped up his game.

Either way this is going to be a must-see for me when it becomes available (to use a euphemism). I'd really like to see a cinematic release as this kind of lush animation really benefits from that setting (I recently saw _Summer Wars_ at a cinema and it was different and better than seeing it on a screen at home).

Blue-kun 2010-11-10 09:18

Quote:

I, for one, am glad he's trying out something new (for him, at least). I love all of his movies but I was starting to get a bit bored of the "long distance relationship" theme he always uses. He's already brilliantly explored this theme, it's time to move on to something else, at least for a while. Change is good.

The girl is seaching for a boy, so it sounds like it might be a love story after all, just a very different one from what Shinkai has gotten us used to.
I do look at it from this prism as well. It's just that I already had some very high expectations for another "regular Shinkai" and ended up being surprised. We'll see how it goes. I'm not saying this will be bad in any way, but I can't say I'm already very excited about it, seeing as I barely know anything at this point in time. Aside that it will look and sound good, of course, haha.

Shiroth 2010-11-10 12:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 3339931)

At this point i'd say there's a 50/50 chance of it being a love story. Personally i'm more for it not being, because i'm all for what's mentioned in the summary, and i'd love to see what Shinkai can do when it comes to these elements.

Haak 2010-11-10 13:12

After 5 Centimeters Per Second, one of my all-time favourites, I'm a huge fan of Shinkai so I'm 100% sold on this new film too.

However, it does look very Ghibli-esque to me aswell and i have mixed feelings on that. I haven't seen all of Miyazaki's films but what I have seen I was never convinced was as brilliant as Shinkai's 5 Centimeters Per Second. On one hand, I rather Shinkai stick to his formula because i like it better than Miyakazi's. On the other hand, I completely agree with Kanon. I wouldn't want him to produce the same thing over and over again, and i don't think he could top 5 Centimeters Per Second anyway. To me i think that's as best as it can be in that field.

drobertbaker 2010-11-10 14:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summary
Through the adventure, she experiences a parting and finds the cruelty and the beauty of the world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kanon (Post 3339931)

It's sounds just like all his other stuff to me.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haak (Post 3340257)
I haven't seen all of Miyazaki's films but what I have seen I was never convinced was as brilliant as Shinkai's 5 Centimeters Per Second.

You need to see more Miyazaki.

ZODDGUTS 2010-11-10 15:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by drobertbaker (Post 3340321)
It's sounds just like all his other stuff to me.You need to see more Miyazaki.

Just make sure it's not anything after Spirited Away that he's made.