AnimeSuki.com Forum

AnimeSuki Forum (http://forums.animesuki.com/index.php)
-   Total Eclipse (http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Total Eclipse - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=117453)

relentlessflame 2013-01-19 10:57

Total Eclipse - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating

This thread is to be used for discussing the entire episodes of Total Eclipse ... your thoughts about the show, overall impressions, expectations and hopes about Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive footage etc.

A few subjects you might want to ramble on about:
  • General impression of the series.
  • Opinions on the overall story, writing & plot devices.
  • Thoughts about the animation quality.
  • Characters/Character Design
  • Voice Acting
  • Which kind of footage (Blu-Ray/DVD-exclusive) you feel you'd really like to see.
  • What the show meant to you.
  • What could the creators/animators/writers have done better.

And so on.

The poll represents your total series rating. In other words, how you would rate all the episodes combined (1-10)? If you'd rather rate the whole series by technical/artistic merits, you can do so. An example:

Animation Quality: 1-10
Voice Actors: 1-10
Script: 1-10
Soundtrack: 1-10
Editing: 1-10
Enjoyment: 1-10
Emotional Involvement: 1-10

Average = Total Series Rating

Or a combination of the two. Or your general gut feeling.

Feel free to discuss and more importantly, have fun :)

Darthtabby 2013-01-23 00:33

I have mixed feelings on this one. There's a lot I really enjoyed about the series. I came to really like the characters in spite of my initial reservations about some of them, and I think the anime staff did a good job with the adaptation in many ways. The anime original second episode was pretty amazing, and according to a blogger who is familiar with the source material the anime actually makes a number of positive changes.

On the other hand the romantic competition aspect of the series got to be a bit much at times. I'm not a fan who thinks that the series should have no romance and should focus exclusively on fighting BETA on the front lines. I actually really like Yuuya and Yui as a couple, and I enjoy some of the stuff with Cryska as well. But there are times where I felt some of the romantic parts were either given too much emphasis/importance or where the characters behaved in ways that sort of ruined things for me. I enjoyed the story about Yuuya's old teammates in Blue Flag and felt Sharon in particular came across as a mature adult, yet in that same stretch of episodes I have to deal with Yui hiding behind a tree and Cui's crazy antics. I know Yui and Cui are supposed to be young, but c'mon -can't they act a bit more like mature adults?

I also would have liked to seen the anime do a better job of keeping certain parts of the source material. In particular some of the stuff with Yui. Yui had fantastic character development in the first two episodes, but she seems a bit short on it after that. Whereas my reading of the Type 94 Blog indicates that

Spoiler for Novel/Manga Material:

I suppose I'm inclined to give an 8/10 overall rating. That's perhaps a bit generous given all the problems I have with the series, but then a lot of my favorite shows have significant flaws. The important thing is that I find myself really getting into a show, and this is one I really got into.

Kyuu 2013-01-24 05:42

I didn't like how the middle of the series detracted away from the war against the BETA -- and instead, it was turning out into some harem series. Yea, sure, gotta feature some hot chicks and their bods somehow. All this -- woo woo and the MC doesn't respond to the women around him -- that just made these "mature looking characters" behave in a somewhat immature way. For once, we have ourselves a series that features older characters. At least, they should behave in such a way.

Oh well. Thankfully, Yui and Cryska made this series worth watching. Otherwise, I would have dropped it. By the way, in a series where the human race is dying left and right -- some polygamy should be encouraged. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

On my own list -- this series gets a 7. Good. Nothing special though.

NoemiChan 2013-01-24 06:28

>>> Animation Quality: 10/10 for the battle suit:D

~Mecha design ~ well, pretty unique. I got the FMP feeling during the first episode but this series had shown some uniqueness. The used of CG was average for me. It's like I still prefer 2D though.

~The Battle Suit ~ Sorry, but I just had to say this. ITS SO HOT. The curves, the fitting, those ass, the boobs trying to escape the suit.. Damn! SO HOT!!!!

>>> Voice Actors: 8/10

They did well. Who ever they are.

>>> Script: 8/10

They romance is a bit, lame.... Need more intimacy

Soundtrack: 7/10

Oh, yeah the first OP is so damn good. I loved the rap there. That's all. The other songs? Meh

>>> Enjoyment: 7/10

My enjoyment lies on the Yuuya X Yui, "LQ"...I wished the had a kiss... One hot kiss would it better than Gundam Seed.

>>> Emotional Involvement: 7/10

This anime never made me cry. Just made me laugh hard on Yuuya x Yui's nonsense, pride based quarrels.

Total Series Rating: 8/10 ~ It's worth the watch.

Hope for a second season..

MitchelJohn 2013-01-24 23:03

Animation Quality: 5/10

Some of them had some defects in it but after seeing the BD version , those quirks were fixed and looks more pleasing to the eyes.

Voice Actors: 9/10

Hitomi Nabatame as Cryska
and Nakahara Mai as Yui are pure win.

Script: 7/10
Agreed with Genji on the let down romance , other than that , It's quite good , I mean you don't see much Animes with aliens and hot chicks in tightsuits and mecha

Soundtrack: 8/10

Koda Kumi's Go to the Top is the best for the opening and Ayami's Apocalypse of Destiny as the insert song

Enjoyment: 8.5/10
I really enjoyed the series , though It would be nice who ends with Top Gun ... but yea... It's a harem anyway... :U

Emotional Involvement:
I almost cried when Yui was about to get sawed in half by those Lastochka and Yuuya was like screaming Yui's name XD

Overall Rating : 7.5/10

C'mon gimmie some YuiXYuuya moments :U

Kirayuki 2013-01-25 00:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by MitchelJohn (Post 4526821)
and Mamiko Noto as Yui are pure win.

Mamiko Noto work as Inia, it's Nakahara Mai who voiced Yui.

MitchelJohn 2013-01-25 02:02

Crap @@

I was high when I made this review..lol

edited it

Traece 2013-02-10 03:25

I'm binging on hate at this moment, since I've just finished this series.

I'll categorize this into two parts: The first two episodes, and the latter 23.

The two-part introduction.
I wrote about how I really, really liked the two-part introduction in the poll thread for the first two episodes. I really liked what they were doing, and I really liked the Blue Gender meets FMP! sort of story they were giving us. In retrospect, I liked most everything they had there, and I didn't even have a lot of issues with the schoolgirls part. I felt it had enough going for it that it worked in one way or another.

Spoiler for Multi-Paragraph breakdown of the series.:

So on a score breakdown:
Spoiler for Scores and explanations for various categories.:

Overall score: 4/10. This anime had a lot of potential if it had been run like the first two episodes. If it had kept that Blue Gender meets FMP! style they had at the start it would have been amazing! Unfortunately after the first two episodes they instead focused on making it cliche, and force-feeding a really terrible harem.

First two episodes score: 8/10. There was a lot here that I liked. Check the topic for episodes 1 and 2 for explanations.

Obviously I had a lot of negative things to say. I was disappointed greatly by what was done here. Now, I've become aware that Muv-Luv is a multi-medium franchise and isn't limited to just manga or anime. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I see no reason why this could not have been something more than what it was. I wanted to like this show, and I thought it had some real potential. In the end it was a massive tangent.

Wild Goose 2013-02-11 02:29

I have to disagree to a certain extent, as with some of the things you have problems with, you seem to be accentuating the negative. My comments to your post have been spoilered for length.
Spoiler for Spoiler for length of replies:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traece (Post 4548681)
Obviously I had a lot of negative things to say. I was disappointed greatly by what was done here. Now, I've become aware that Muv-Luv is a multi-medium franchise and isn't limited to just manga or anime. Maybe I'm missing something here, but I see no reason why this could not have been something more than what it was. I wanted to like this show, and I thought it had some real potential. In the end it was a massive tangent.

I'd really suggest playing the Visual Novel (Extra, Unlimited & Alternative) and reading Tactical Surface Fighters in Action. It gives another perspective to the whole BETA war.